Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2017, 11:15   #736
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Nexon test mules undergoing high-altitude testing somewhere in Himachal Pradesh.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nxn.jpg

Credit to Hemraj Goyal for sharing this with us.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 13:23   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
I am really not sure why people are so excited about Nexon which is based on Zest which itself was based on Vista and it's a 10 year old platform. TML - Gives us something on a much more modern platform rather than offering something on a 10 year old platform!
For my education, what about the old platform affects you in terms of ownership or experience? What does a new platform mean to an owner?
skandyhere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 14:36   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skandyhere View Post
For my education, what about the old platform affects you in terms of ownership or experience? What does a new platform mean to an owner?
I'm no expert but I can think of two things a new platform could bring to the end user:

1. Better packaging ergo more space. Every manufacturer finds a better way to free up interior space every time a new platform is out and that's never a bad thing. New cars that are trying to be plush and remain competent that are built on old platforms tend to have trendy waterfall central consoles that will take up too much space and leave the driver's footwell cramped and your legs scraping against the central console. Structural reinforcements that are added on as time passes and safety norms change, eat up space and leave less to work with.

2. Could lend a completely altered driving dynamic to the car. There are still many folks who prefer the heavy feel of older cars, but a newer car built on a newer, lighter more rigid platform is simply much quicker on its feet and less prone to chassis flex with age.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 16:11   #739
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I'm no expert but I can think of two things a new platform could bring to the end user:

1. Better packaging ergo more space. Every manufacturer finds a better way to free up interior space every time a new platform is out and that's never a bad thing. New cars that are trying to be plush and remain competent that are built on old platforms tend to have trendy waterfall central consoles that will take up too much space and leave the driver's footwell cramped and your legs scraping against the central console. Structural reinforcements that are added on as time passes and safety norms change, eat up space and leave less to work with.

2. Could lend a completely altered driving dynamic to the car. There are still many folks who prefer the heavy feel of older cars, but a newer car built on a newer, lighter more rigid platform is simply much quicker on its feet and less prone to chassis flex with age.
A newer platform being necessarily better is just an assumption. If cost reduction is a major objective while developing a new platform, the newer platform could actually be inferior to the old one. And that is what may be happening with some companies which are trying to hold the price but at the same trying to increase profit margins. This approach is fairly evident with products like the Alto or the Jazz.
Old 27th April 2017, 16:14   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
A newer platform being necessarily better is just an assumption. If cost reduction is a major objective while developing a new platform, the newer platform could actually be inferior to the old one. And that is what may be happening with some companies which are trying to hold the price but at the same trying to increase profit margins. This approach is fairly evident with products like the Alto or the Jazz.
Are you kidding me? The new Alto is not better to you than the old one? The old one couldn't even go over a rumble strip without being unsettled whereas the new one handles potholes far more maturely than my Wagon R does. Same goes for the Jazz. It is shorter than the old one by 1.6 inches yet rear leg room has been increased by 4.8 inches. You don't call that an improvement?

They might be fitting the product with cheap panels etc etc but the platform upon which the rest of the product is built, is most definitely better. I am not a fan of either of these cars but it doesn't take a genius to see that the new platforms are improvements over the old ones. No one is talking about the car as a whole, but just the platform that it is based upon.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 27th April 2017 at 16:28.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 10:56   #741
Distinguished - BHPian

Caught testing on the Pune-Satara highway yesterday.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-czuyixu0ae7vrk.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-czwfgwv0aaamfm.jpg

Credits to Anish MG for sharing.
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 21:52   #742
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Linking the Tata Motor's official video where they have shown different color combinations for the nexon. One can skip at 28 seconds mark. Liked grey + black combination.
ottocycle is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 14:07   #743
BANNED

Any news if the AMT version will be launched right off the bat? Or is Tata mulling introducing it at a later stage. Thinking of betting on the Nexon, but only if it comes in an automatic version at launch.
Old 10th May 2017, 12:09   #744
BHPian

Any clue on the launch date for Nexon? What do the lil birdies say.. been quiet for a while
Old 11th May 2017, 10:13   #745
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tata Nexon's production-ready interior has been caught on camera by a Rush Lane reader.

Quote:
The Tata Nexon on test was noted to possess a high ground clearance. Exteriors we seen sporting a mesh grille, new bumper design, circular headlamps, customization options for body kit and contrasting color options for body and roof.
Tata Nexon will also receive a host of comfort and connectivity features as is seen on board the new Tiago. One of the highlight is the standalone touchscreen infotainment system powered by Tata’s ConnectNext platform. It will also get a Harman Kardon music system.
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonindiaspy1.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonindiaspy3.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonindiaspy2.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonindiaspy5.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonindiaspy6.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonindiaspy4.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 10:57   #746
Senior - BHPian

This car has the makings of a winner. While everyone is speculating an AMT gearbox,here's my take on this:
(i) Tata should launch a base manual in petrol and diesel.
(ii) Offer AMT option across trim levels
(iii) Offer a proper TC in the top end diesel. They already have a brilliant gearbox from Power Glide doing duty in the Hexa. Given that the GB is imported and hence expensive, it would make sense to offer this at a premium in the top spec variant. This will also give Tata economies of scale for the AT gearbox thereby bringing per unit cost down.

The nexon will be the real game changer for tata and they can actually straddle multiple price points from 7 to 15 lakhs with this one, playing around with trims and transmission options.

Also, w.r.t. the petrol option, I sincerely hope that tata offers us a turbo charged petrol and not the NA Revotron. This car would need at least a 120 bhp/200+Nm petrol powerplant.
Old 11th May 2017, 11:10   #747
Distinguished - BHPian

That is a nice looking interior and looks smarter than the Brezza and the Creta. If Tata launch it at a great price (7-10 Lacs exshowroom), they have a winner on their hands. I only hope that they could ditch the front smiley face for something more modern - it has been hanging on for more than 17 years now since the Indica, it is high time that they went for some other frontal character face. They have plenty of options from JLR, why don't they pick up some smart grill & Front bumper designs from there! If you ask me, I would love to have a car with the face of the Range rover Evoque!!

Any good photoshop designers out there who can try a cross breed experiment of a Nexon with an Evoque face?

Last edited by Behemoth : 11th May 2017 at 11:22.
Old 11th May 2017, 11:44   #748
BHPian

I love the stance of the car; few quick observations from the latest pics:

1) Hope they sort out the crooked left wiper; it can't be that far up on the windscreen.
2) A-pillars are on the thicker side; with the ORVM I hope it does not become a visibility hindrance.
3) The face could do with some more aggressive inputs (maybe around the air dam area), instead of the smiley one currently.
4) Has to have at least 100 horses (and proportional torque) in any engine form since it is a given that Tata can't make it light.
5) Interiors look swell for a Tata!! Please, Please maintain that interior color combo and don't 'beige' it
6) Please change the gear lever knob to something finished in full black; I hate the silver plastic insert in this and my Storme as well. Something like the one in Hexa should look really cool!

Last edited by avinash_m : 11th May 2017 at 11:45. Reason: added point
avinash_m is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 11:44   #749
Senior - BHPian

Seems the new diesel will be mated to a 6-speed manual. Will also have a safety collar for reverse engagement, reverse will be towards driver and down.

Apparently the new powertrain has shaped up well. Negligible levels of lag, good mid-range torque spread. NVH is also well controlled i hear. Rumours say TML engineers are leaving no stones unturned to turn out NEXON as a glitch free model.
arjab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 21:39   #750
BHPian

The interiors look good both in terms of design and execution. The front seats also look "sumptious"! I just hope Tata has given material quality and ride and handling package similar to (or even better than) Hexa, in which case I'll definitely have this in my garage :-)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed