Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2017, 20:12   #811
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Chances are that you might have to wait longer if you want to own a 1.2L turbo-charged petrol variant of the Nexon, if CarBlogIndia's latest scoop is to be believed.

No wonder that they have fast-tracked the diesel AMT variants' testing in the past couple of months.
This is a sad news if it is true. Petrol Engine would have been a USP for Nexon, as Tata would have priced it very low than the diesel Nexon. As Brezza is not currently available with Petrol, this would have helped Tata.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 08:03   #812
Distinguished - BHPian

For those who are not yet fed up of the spy pics/ videos of Nexon on tests, here are a few more!

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 09:03   #813
BANNED

While commending the dedication & enthusiasm of the Nexon "spy shot" collectors, I must admit to feeling that the whole thing is getting a bit long in the tooth. Firstly because there are just s-o-o-o-o many of these "spy shots", but mainly because, when I compare the Nexon with the other large-hatch-on-stilts-and-steroids brigade (Brezza, EcoSport, W-RV & others) which are its direct competition, I find that there is little that stands out. Adding a crease here, a swage line there, a few fanciful flourishes in the front/rear lights, a bit of colour coding here & there - all this doesn't add up to any memorable distinguishing features. And this is because the template, the parameters for the particular segment have already been cast in stone & there is only so much that a designer can do within these limitations! The dimensions are all within a couple of centimetres of each other - the only way TM can hope to make a mark on the sales chart is to give the Nexon a major OTR price advantage. Just as M&M did with their XUV500. And the results were there for all to see. The buying public is no longer going to be fooled by the "spy shots" & the accompanying cacophony of words. VFM is something no one can teach our buying public and the mfrs are slowly coming to terms with it. As witness the quantum leap in features & accessories, over tha past decade or so, that the public has come to accept these days as standard offerings for that particular segment.

Last edited by shashanka : 23rd June 2017 at 09:07.
shashanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:00   #814
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
And this is because the template, the parameters for the particular segment have already been cast in stone & there is only so much that a designer can do within these limitations!
Agreed.

However -
Quote:
The dimensions are all within a couple of centimetres of each other - the only way TM can hope to make a mark on the sales chart is to give the Nexon a major OTR price advantage. Just as M&M did with their XUV500.
XUV 5OO really never had well priced modern competition. The story here is different. I don't think they can win this war against Maruti Suzuki and an established Ecosport on price alone.

The keyword has to be value instead. Offer more for the price. Much better interiors, build quality, features etc at a similar price. Just the same as Tiago and Tigor twins. And whereas Tigor failed with the engines, TML also needs to make sure there are no major flaws with the product.

I'm not saying that they can get away with a higher price tag. No, they cant. So the base variants need to be able to bring people to the showrooms due to the low price tag - and the higher variants show be able to wow them over!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd June 2017 at 18:02.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2017, 21:35   #815
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
.....XUV 5OO really never had well priced modern competition......
No, no, that doesn't sound right! Pound for pound, once you scratch under the skin, the XUV had core tech density as good as the best in the segment - tech density, mind you, not the candy-floss (xyz compatibility, MID touch screen, alcantara power seats & the rest of the bling). At the time the CRV, Captiva, X-trail all with the AWD option were selling for lakhs more than the AWD XUV500. Right now the new 2017 CRV diesel AWD is retailing for 30+ OTR, while the AWD XUV500 is there for 20+ OTR. Of course, I admit that my equating the XUV with the CRV may give indigestion to quite a few on the forum. But as an engineer, I'm used to sticking to my guns - and no matter which tech guru wants to argue, they won't convince me that one is worth 10 lakhs more than the other!

Last edited by shashanka : 23rd June 2017 at 21:39.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 01:13   #816
BHPian

Nexon is:
1. Good looking IMHO though looks are subjective.
2. Equipped with a lot of features that is especially liked by the enthusiast and might give competition a depression. (As per the rumors and spy shots)
3. A very good competition for the cars of the category.
4. A promising product that is also supposed to get priced well, looking at Hexa & Tiago pricing.

But:
1. Already too late with the launch, competition is due for a facelift soon.
2. I am already so bored looking at it, and once I was so excited.
3. Leave boredom, it actually is frustrating now.
4. By the time it gets launched it would have become too old for many already, the excitement factor is dead for sure. I know that the moment I will step in the showroom to see one, even at the day of launch, I would have that feeling that I have been seeing this from last few years now so whats new actually.

Thats how to kill a product even before you launch it. How many possible niggles could this car have that it is impossible to get things right in so many years? I mean come on you are not going so send it to mars! you are not building anything revolutionary like Tesla! Its just another sub 4 meter car and Tata just to remind you, this is not the first car you are going to make you already have decades of experience, so whats with the delay?

Sorry for all the rant, but now that we are at it let me also say that to be honest Hexa is just an Aria facelift that was launched 5 years too late.
Its alright to take as much time as needed to iron out the flaws, but this feels like forever already.
And Hexa thread isn't filled with the totally perfect no niggles car stories either.

Maybe Tata has become somewhat like how goverment sector works, employees don't care, administration don't care, mediocrity is the way of life, there is just too much confusion ever where.
wrongturn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 05:04   #817
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
....Thats how to kill a product even before you launch it. How many possible niggles could this car have that it is impossible to get things right in so many years? I mean come on you are not going so send it to mars! you are not building anything revolutionary like Tesla! Its just another sub 4 meter car and Tata just to remind you, this is not the first car you are going to make you already have decades of experience, so whats with the delay?
Sorry for all the rant, but now that we are at it let me also say that to be honest Hexa is just an Aria facelift that was launched 5 years too late......
Wrongturn, with regret (because at heart I'm a Swadeshi thru' & thru'!) I have to admit that you have nailed it fair & square! The Nexon is no Tesla so why the interminable delay in launching it? Was the initial freeze so full of gremlins that you still can't unravel it?

I'll not go so far as to compare them to a govt. dept., but I'm sorely tempted!
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 10:46   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Wrongturn, with regret (because at heart I'm a Swadeshi thru' & thru'!) I have to admit that you have nailed it fair & square! The Nexon is no Tesla so why the interminable delay in launching it? Was the initial freeze so full of gremlins that you still can't unravel it?

I'll not go so far as to compare them to a govt. dept., but I'm sorely tempted!

The extensive testing is for one reason alone that is due to the development of a new engine. Would you have been happy had they launched in the beginning of this year with a 1.3MJD? I guess not.

But I would also agree that they launching around 3-4 months late . Because if we rewind to auto expo last year, it was clear that it would take an year to launch it.

I for one am waiting for this car since then, and am prepared to wait no matter what. I was wowed by it at the expo and I will like to spend time in the car with those smashing interiors.
akhil994 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 12:14   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
The extensive testing is for one reason alone that is due to the development of a new engine. Would you have been happy had they launched in the beginning of this year with a 1.3MJD? I guess not.
I for one am waiting for this car since then, and am prepared to wait no matter what.
I am also EAGERLY waiting buddy, that is one reason for the rant. I also support Indian manufacturers thru' & thru'.
But what is extensive testing as per TATA? Are they building something new? No, its the same old internal combustion engine. How much time do they need, is extensive testing this prolonged realistically justified? Also the new leak that they have postponed the plans for the petrol variant, even after extensive tests of theirs? So does that mean in about 2 years of extensive testing they were not able to built a stable petrol motor? Although It was the same 1.2L 89BHP Revotron motor launched with Tata Zest in 2014 and nothing new, was it that hard to fit it in the Nexon's engine bay? That's the one I wanted. Now wait till Q2 or Q3, 2018.
First its waiting, then it becomes frustration which turns into anger with every new spy shot. Then the Buddha steps in to say 'Being angry is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die' at that point mind settles down to 'I dont care anymore, let it be, I dont need it.' So I let the anger out in form of a rant, though I am sorry for the rant, again.

Last edited by wrongturn : 24th June 2017 at 12:21.
wrongturn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 14:52   #820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongturn View Post
I am also EAGERLY waiting buddy, that is one reason for the rant. I also support Indian manufacturers thru' & thru'.
But what is extensive testing as per TATA? Are they building something new? No, its the same old internal combustion engine. How much time do they need, is extensive testing this prolonged realistically justified? Also the new leak that they have postponed the plans for the petrol variant, even after extensive tests of theirs? So does that mean in about 2 years of extensive testing they were not able to built a stable petrol motor? Although It was the same 1.2L 89BHP Revotron motor launched with Tata Zest in 2014 and nothing new, was it that hard to fit it in the Nexon's engine bay? That's the one I wanted. Now wait till Q2 or Q3, 2018.
First its waiting, then it becomes frustration which turns into anger with every new spy shot. Then the Buddha steps in to say 'Being angry is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die' at that point mind settles down to 'I dont care anymore, let it be, I dont need it.' So I let the anger out in form of a rant, though I am sorry for the rant, again.
It is not the same old IC engine, TATA have developed a new engine for the Nexon based on the Tiago diesel engine, which in itself is a new engine. Now imagine from a layman's perspective, a new tata car with a new engine is like a double barreled gun pointed to their faces.

If they rush the product and it falters, then I don't think TATA will ever be able to recover from that. And as far as Petrol goes, that motor will also be tuned to deliver 110 BHP from what I can recall. I may be wrong but I had read somewhere that it will be in that guise.

I can totally understand your rant, I had to move to a different city for work temporarily and hence postponed the car buying decision. If I were still in NCR, I would've had to sacrifice the Nexon and buy some other car since it would have been needed.
Old 24th June 2017, 17:23   #821
Senior - BHPian

It would have been relatively easy for Tata to use the 1.3 QJD 90 in Nexon but they are charting an independent course as far as engine is concerned.

Tata persisted with their own engine for their Indigo and Indica. Economical and technical issues too might have contributed to that.

I have a hunch that Nexon would be coming with a new grill than the one seen on test vehicles. Cant explain the hunch but Tata might be seeing comments on Nexon's front and decided to do something to surprise. On the other hand, Hexa grill suggest it would be the same.
Old 24th June 2017, 17:23   #822
Senior - BHPian

Guys, please stop cribbing. The Hexa though a reiteration of the Aria was tested for over 8,00,000 kms if I remember right. This, with an engine that was already doing duty on two vehicles. Suffice to say, those who bought the Hexa have been given no reason to complain regarding the suspension or engine.

As far as novelty goes, we have 40,000+ members on Team BHP of which I think half of them aren't even logging in on a regular basis. The common man (majority buying public) don't even know such a car exists. So it's only us enthusiasts who rave and rant about the testing or the delay.

When it's going to come, it's going to come. Already informed that it's going to be in during the festival season. So why rant about it? The new DZire was launched in double quick time and we now know has a steering assembly fault. Will be forgiven because it's a Maruti. Will Tata ever be forgiven again if they commit a blunder?

On a side note: Got to see the Nexon for the first time today. Clearly about 25-30% larger than the Vista. Awesome height and great ground clearance. Was pretty nimble in traffic. Went into Jayem Auto.

Last edited by discoverwild : 24th June 2017 at 17:28.
discoverwild is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 17:43   #823
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
It is not the same old IC engine, TATA have developed a new engine for the Nexon based on the Tiago diesel engine, which in itself is a new engine.
Tiago diesel engine is Indica 1.4L engine minus one cylinder, but of course in a higher state of tune. Indica 1.4L in turn was derived from Peugeot TUD 5 which incidentally displaced 1.5L, the same as Nexon! Early proptotypes of Vista were fitted with 1.5L NA version of Nexon's engine.
directinjection is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2017, 20:30   #824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post

As far as novelty goes, we have 40,000+ members on Team BHP of which I think half of them aren't even logging in on a regular basis. The common man (majority buying public) don't even know such a car exists. So it's only us enthusiasts who rave and rant about the testing or the delay.....
.... Will Tata ever be forgiven again if they commit a blunder?

Rightly said. No one but a few enthusiasts among the prospective customers know about Nexon. As a matter of fact, almost no one among the general public would care, especially because it's a Tata.

A friend of mine was in market for a CS. Looked at Dzire, Amaze, Aspire and Etios. Not even once thought about Zest. And he regularly borrows my Zest. He says it's very good, seating, power, ac, suspension and all that but couldn't think about buying one. It sums up the interest non enthusiasts have in Tata.

Why about it, Nexon was adversely commented upon even before it is launched.

Launch of Nexon should be in mid or late August if it is aimed at festival season. That would give customers time to consider the vehicle and Tata to smoothen supply side.
Old 24th June 2017, 22:54   #825
Senior - BHPian

Unlike some members here, I'm not much of a Swadeshi but then I did always have a soft corner for home-grown Tata and M&M. And, in recent years my love for these two companies increased for two reasons, one because they improved on quality front and two because I'm fed up of the greed of some foreign brands who increase their prices every time you turn around. So much so that from now on I've decided that my next car will invariably be a Tata or a Mahindra. On a personal front, too, I don't care a hoot about brands, any ( whether cars or clothes) and in the process save a lot of money. So, I have been waiting for this car since summer last year and am quite frustrated that it's still nowhere on horizon. If M&M announces a Nexon-rival tomorrow, chances are, we will see that before Nexon.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed