Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2017, 11:46   #856
BHPian

Testing The Nexon : Doing their Homework

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Gives us a good idea of the workings of the suspension and perceptible body roll related to the Nexon, as it tackles rough roads in hilly terrain.
In terms of varied testing over various terrains, Tata seems to be really flogging the daylights out of the car! Better discover a flaw now than have your customers find out about it the harder way.

With this kind of all encompassing testing of mules across all types of terrain and temperature in the country (there are reports poring in from various corners of the country - Trivandrum, Satara, Ladakh, the North East) I hope this translates to a well rounded car with no niggles whatsoever.

Cheers !

Last edited by ampere : 3rd July 2017 at 23:06. Reason: Removed video link
Ironhide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 13:19   #857
BANNED

Re: Testing The Nexon : Doing their Homework

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
In terms of varied testing over various terrains, Tata seems to be really flogging the daylights out of the car! Better discover a flaw now than have your customers find out about it the harder way.
Great going, Tata.

What I am wondering is, why can't manufacturers come up with an automated all-terrain testing environment? Something like a moving platform and fixed vehicle instead of the opposite happening in the real-world testing. With proper weight / wind / climate control, they can create a near-similar environment, I guess.

Then can even complete the proper run-in of the engines in this way.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 3rd July 2017 at 13:26.
Old 3rd July 2017, 13:42   #858
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

My cousin spotted these test mules in Salem. I bet this has to be the most extensive testing ever carried out by TM.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img20170702wa0031.jpg  

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img20170702wa0030.jpg  

GreenmachinE is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 14:06   #859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Great going, Tata.

What I am wondering is, why can't manufacturers come up with an automated all-terrain testing environment? Something like a moving platform and fixed vehicle instead of the opposite happening in the real-world testing. With proper weight / wind / climate control, they can create a near-similar environment, I guess.

Then can even complete the proper run-in of the engines in this way.
I doubt whether this would be a feasible approach. I haven't heard of such a thing being tried anywhere. It would be really difficult to simulate all kinds of roads found in India. Replicating things like thin air at high altitude with accuracy would surely cost a lot I think. Also with a moving platform won't there be a finite set of road that can be emulated?

Besides this can be no substitute to real world testing in my opinion. No matter how much we try to simulate, it will not come close to the real world.

This is just my opinion - experts please correct me if I am wrong.
AkMar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 14:29   #860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stretch it to 4.5m, and you have a very good-looking SUV to fight against the Cretas and Dusters.
That will take another five years.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd July 2017 at 23:07. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
simplyself is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 15:15   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenmachinE View Post
My cousin spotted these test mules in Salem. I bet this has to be the most extensive testing ever carried out by TM.
Already started liking the design, and the mules have given us a good idea of how the car would look like.. Wish the suspensions were like that of the Duster.
Old 3rd July 2017, 16:12   #862
BHPian

With the high number of test mules all over the place, I really hope Tata can launch this really soon and before the festive season starts. Car looks quite decent and can be a potential contender to be in my garage next year (this year will wait for initial reports to come in )

Having said that, the Nexon does have the potential to grab some sales from the likes of Brezza, Creta, Duster, Eco Sport, WRV, etc and settle around the 3-4k mark.

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 3rd July 2017 at 16:13.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 16:48   #863
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
...Nexon does have the potential to grab some sales from the likes of Brezza, Creta, Duster, Eco Sport, WRV, etc and settle around the 3-4k mark.
It can do even better than that, if the Diesel variant starts around 6L ex-showroom Delhi, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Replicating things like thin air at high altitude with accuracy would surely cost a lot I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
That will take another five years.
Yes, but will be a one-time development, with minor changes needed during the run of the day. For companies those do proper testing, this will reduce the duration of the road test period, and hence will bring down the development cost, IMO.

Quote:
Also with a moving platform won't there be a finite set of road that can be emulated?

Besides this can be no substitute to real world testing in my opinion. No matter how much we try to simulate, it will not come close to the real world.
Agree, but when there are many cars that are launched in India without proper testing, this type of standard testing mechanism will be helpful, IMO.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 3rd July 2017 at 17:07.
Old 3rd July 2017, 17:01   #864
BHPian

Quote:
It can do even better than that, if the Diesel variant starts around 6L ex-showroom Delhi, IMO.
Let's be realistic and not set unreasonable expectations already. Tata bolt diesel starts around 6L and Brezza around 7.2L in Delhi.

Yes, lower price will help them sell more, but then by the same logic, they can sell even more if they price it at 4L.
prakash_ajp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 17:33   #865
BHPian

Quote:
I doubt whether this would be a feasible approach. I haven't heard of such a thing being tried anywhere. It would be really difficult to simulate all kinds of roads found in India. Replicating things like thin air at high altitude with accuracy would surely cost a lot I think. Also with a moving platform won't there be a finite set of road that can be emulated?

This is just my opinion - experts please correct me if I am wrong.

You'd be surprised about how much every automotive OEM is investing in computer simulation activities. Even though they may not be a complete substitute for Real world testing, I'm sure a couple of years down the line, they will be recreating almost 80-90% of real world situations.

I'm looking forward to the nexon being launched, but just have a gut feeling that whatever TATA does, they still will have the historical baggage associated with them. IMHO, they should look at branding and marketing strategies to get this one right.
asivan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 00:28   #866
BHPian

Quote:
I think it will be too much and at the extreme of VFM's territory to expect the pricing around 6L. With the kind of interiors, styling and very powerful 1.5 L engine (if it is true), the price might start around 8L which is fair and VFM IMHO.

If Tata chooses wisely to release autobox (even with AMT) at around 9-10L, I would pick it any day over Brezza. I've been eagerly waiting for the launch like most of the folks here and Tata is testing the patience to be frank as my next car is long overdue
Old 4th July 2017, 11:14   #867
BHPian

What would be the realistic on-road prices for Petrol and Diesel in Bangalore? I am looking for a new car and the budget is 10L (On-road)
Old 5th July 2017, 12:08   #868
BHPian

I expect top end diesel MT to be 10L OTR and that of petrol to be 8L. That's just my guess out of the knowledge I have on this car at the moment. We have to just sit tight and wait for a couple of months.
Old 5th July 2017, 12:09   #869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
What would be the realistic on-road prices for Petrol and Diesel in Bangalore? I am looking for a new car and the budget is 10L (On-road)
Well no matter how good the product turns out to be and whatever price they launch it at, am sure there would be complaints solely because its a TATA. The baggage of reputation is really really tough to shed

Purely from product POV pricing in the range of Brezza/Ecosport should be decent, but since TATAs are known for VFM factor expect this one to undercut the Brezza/Ecosport by 30-40k OTR bangalore. Although an exciting product, I don't expect this to set sales charts on fire by any means purely because of the brand name. But would really love to be proven wrong

Last edited by SoumenD : 5th July 2017 at 12:12.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 17:22   #870
BHPian

According to a scoop from Car Blog India, Nexon to launch only with Diesel engine due to some “unforeseen hurdles” that Tata Motors is facing with the development of Petrol.

http://www.carblogindia.com/tata-nexon-launch-date/
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks