Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2017, 13:17   #991
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Hope they do not mess up variants like Tigor. They need to offer basic safety feature (ABS+dual airbags) from mid variant (Base+1) onward.
Old 19th July 2017, 13:52   #992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Guys, I understand that we all love the brand. The question is not about "Is the Nexon worth it for the price? But what price would ensure the market buys it?"
Fair enough. Point well made. And as I said, I would be very happy if it comes at that price, since that would help my pocket :P

But BHPians or not, the expectations need to be realistic is all I say.

For example, the website motoroctane, have suggested the price for the top end to be 11.5 lakhs, which is bonkers even if it s the on road price.

But yes that TATA has always focused on VFM products and they should keep that in mind this time as well.

Fingers crossed for awesome pricing. This baby is coming home this festive season hopefully
Old 19th July 2017, 14:00   #993
BHPian

If Tata wants to sell Nexon in high volumes, then it will have to price it brilliantly. A fair bit lower than Brezza or Ecosport, I would say.

But, it is really amusing to see that those people who are rooting for Jeep to price Compass high, are advising Tata to price it low. If Tata is a failing brand, so is Fiat. So, why should market forgive Jeep for pricing its product high but not Tata? Also, many buzz words were thrown around in Compass discussion to justify its high price, like "build quality" and such. If such things are very important, how come they don't come into picture while discussing the Tata?
ashlil is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 14:46   #994
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
But, it is really amusing to see that those people who are rooting for Jeep to price Compass high, are advising Tata to price it low.
I guess thats indirectly for me.

Both needs to be priced less. Absolutely no arguments there. Both are failing brands in the market. Absolutely agreed.

Coming back to this particular topic of Nexon - the realistic factor is to accept the segment Nexon would fit in - against Ecosport and Brezza and then the pricing which people would be willing to spend for it against these competition. A lakh cheaper than Brezza would hit the sweet spot for buyers.

Bring in the Nexon against the likes of KUV 100 because both are Indian made and look quirky and expecting it to undercut it and you have the scenario that's happening there. At some point even vehicles like Ecosport, Brezza and WRV were discussed there - which is unrealistic. Anyways, that's off topic for this thread, except if you're out to prove something on a personal front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
If such things are very important, how come they don't come into picture while discussing the Tata?
It was discussed in the previous page. Let's go over it again. I'm expecting the top end to have -
1. Class leading 110hp engine (if they get it right)
2. Good build quality. Not class leading due to Ecosport.
3. Best in class infotainment system.
4. Best in class interior design.
5. Feature loaded, but again not class leading.

And on the negative side -
1. No option of 6 airbags?
2. No sunroof?
3. Looks are polarizing. I'm pretty sure the market would rate the more SUV'ish Brezza and Ecosport higher.
4. Market raises eyebrows on hearing of a new TATA engine.

So we can exclude Ecosport Titanium+ and WRV top end as direct competitors. The price assumption I posted was with the others.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th July 2017 at 15:08.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 15:07   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I understand that we all love the brand. The question is not about "Is the Nexon worth it for the price? But what price would ensure the market buys it?"

These are the volumes Ecosport sells inspite of being a much better and more established product than Brezza. To achieve these volumes, they really have to undercut the pricing of both Brezza and Ecosport. No other way.
Correction. I dont love the brand but the car(Nexon). As I mentioned my friend said that the only negative with the car is the TATA brand and I agreed with him .

I understand the point you have made about selling volumes against Breeza/Ecosport and the pricing strategy TATA should follow for the same. But my point is after seeing the car in photos, in flesh and reading about the features it is going to come up with, I think TATA is not taking that strategy. If that is the case then they would have made some obvious cost cutting like smaller alloys (15 inch), smaller turbo, 5-speed gear box, Infotainment system similar to Tigor etc., So I still feel the top end would be 9.5L and whoever waiting for Nexon in our forum would still buy it at that price point.

Will it sell in good volumes?? Only time will tell

Last edited by jaganpec2002 : 19th July 2017 at 15:08.
jaganpec2002 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 15:25   #996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
So I don't understand why Tata's FE should be such a big concern. Honestly, Tata shouldn't be changing their core values at this point, where they are slowly trying to find their foot in the PV sales.
On second thoughts, the sales of the petrol variant should be minuscule at the best, as such it wont be too much a bother.

Given that the Nexon does not have the classical compact SUV silhouette like the Brezza and the Ecosport, it already starts with a design disadvantage in my opinion. It looks different from the current crop of SUVs, but i cant determine if thats a good thing or a bad thing.

The only thing that TATA needs to and can possibly get right at the moment is the PRICE. Everything else can be taken care of, but they dont need a dead duck at arrival killed by the price. May be can they can get do something similar to Tiago pricing. Launched at a mouth watering price, they kept bumping up the prices to the tune of almost 15% till GST arrived. And its the only car in the stable which sells without any discounts ! Apart from Hexa of course.
Old 19th July 2017, 15:37   #997
BHPian

Even if Nexon undercuts Brezza by a 1 lakh it will not give numbers for TATA. Remember Zest when it was launched was cheaper by 40k to the DZire, and now Hexa is 4laks cheaper than Crysta and the results are there for everyone to see. Even if we take the budget category where Tiago undercuts Wagon R for some variants its the same story. Nexon is destined to be a marginal seller and it seems TATA have set it's targets realistically at 3500 units per month.

Last edited by damodar : 19th July 2017 at 15:43.
Old 19th July 2017, 15:55   #998
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by damodar View Post
Nexon is destined to be a marginal seller and it seems TATA have set it's targets realistically at 3500 units per month.
That's not realistic, that's aggressive. Gives me hope that they have good pricing in mind.

3500 cars a month means the second position in the segment, which is currently occupied by the Ecosport. Which in itself is a good package as compared to the Nexon, inspite of being well established. Infact, it does so many things better than the Nexon as well, in terms of equipment, build quality (probably), automatic transmission and petrol options. Not to mention that the facelift is just around the corner for launch.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 16:28   #999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3500 cars a month means the second position in the segment, which is currently occupied by the Ecosport. Which in itself is a good package as compared to the Nexon, inspite of being well established. Infact, it does so many things better than the Nexon as well, in terms of equipment, build quality (probably), automatic transmission and petrol options. Not to mention that the facelift is just around the corner for launch.
Yes that is something I sorely miss in the news of the Nexon launch. My family and I were looking at the Nexon as a good urban run about. Was really looking forward to the launch of this car until the news that it would eventually only be launched with an AMT automatic tranny. That to me, really sucks. In this day and age of downsizing, small motors available aren't so characterful as older engines. They don't rev as high, they don't have as wide a spread of power and torque and especially when cylinders are lobbed off, they don't even sound as good. Is hoping for atleast a good automatic transmission to mask these poor powertains, too much? It feels like everyone is going up of features, up on bluetooth connectivity, up on android auto and apple car play, up on LEDs, but down in terms of actual driving experience. I mean come on, Maruti launched the Celerio with AMT ages ago, I don't expect to see such a lackluster transmission in anything more expensive.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 16:30   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. A lakh cheaper is my expectation (At least with on-road prices) for it to be a volume seller.

Brezza is so strong, even the well established Ecosport is no match for it in sales. Even WRV hasn't made a mark. In comparison, the masses will see Nexon as -

1. A TATA.
2. Crossover'ish polarizing looks.
3. New engines on a TATA always raises reliability eyebrows, no matter how good the specs are on paper.

Moreover, there is no royalty on engines to be paid to FIAT this time around and they should try to be as aggressive in pricing as they can. Even the much bigger Mahindra TUV 3OO is priced between 7.5L and 9.3L ex showroom. So it should be possible to undercut Brezza by a lakh compromising on margins.

At 30k - 40k less, they can as well forget it within a year or two! Only enthusiast votes can be gathered, not long term sales.
How long are we really planning to bash tata in each and every thread? Is it so hard for a forum member who is an auto-enthusiast to overlook the efforts put in by an Indian manufacturer?
Arent the products like Zest, Tiago, Tigor, Hexa a proof of transformation?
Tata is marching rapidly towards great products, but the negative sentiments and bashing all over will bog those efforts down.
When it comes to other manufacturers the point discussed here critically do not apply suddenly. Points which tata has done better than the competition is overlooked.
Tata developed new engines and also created an endurance record for zest, tiago etc which is unbeaten yet. Still we throw all sorts of apprehensions out of the past indica indigo era experiences or hearsay.

Nothing marked personally to you sir. This applies to all of us. We have seen this happen with Fiat too. I am not saying TATA is not at fault for all the impression that the market has, but i clearly see they are improving.
amit_mechengg is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 16:31   #1001
Senior - BHPian

I'm wondering if the Nexon could trigger some cross shopping from the sub 4m sedan + large hatch back segments ( i20, Baleno ) as well to justify that 3500 number. So comparing only with other compact SUVs may not be accurate after all
Old 19th July 2017, 18:24   #1002
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Is hoping for atleast a good automatic transmission to mask these poor powertains, too much?
On the plus side though - they really have done well being the new 6 speed manual transmission this time.

AMT on the diesel could be acceptable as others don't offer it too. The petrol automatic users might look at the Ecosport instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
How long are we really planning to bash tata in each and every thread?
You single out the portion with negatives and call it bashing. Anyways, appreciate your concern that negatives shouldn't be mentioned against TATA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I'm wondering if the Nexon could trigger some cross shopping from the sub 4m sedan + large hatch back segments ( i20, Baleno ) as well to justify that 3500 number. So comparing only with other compact SUVs may not be accurate after all
True. That's the general trend of that segment. Compact SUVs have been eating into other segments, like compact sedans and even C segment sedans. Brezza and Creta have really put huge issue on sedans segments, ever since their launch. Infact, this has proved to be a global trend as well.

So, it might not need to steal those 3500 numbers from Ecosport. But getting to that 3500 will indeed require market acceptance similar to the Ecosport.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th July 2017 at 18:29.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 18:32   #1003
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
When it comes to other manufacturers the point discussed here critically do not apply suddenly. Points which tata has done better than the competition is overlooked.
Very well said sir, it takes a lot of time for any company to develop a good image for itself. It doesn't happen within months or a year. Small efforts put by Tata in their recent car launches make a difference.

According to me the following are the USP which Tata is sticking to, which is better than some of the competitors:
1) Ride quality
2) Interior Quality and ICE
3) Space on offer

On a side note both Maruti and Tata is making 1.5 diesel engine,I would love to see which engine people prefer and is better.

Also lets not forget, this is the same company which turned fortunes for Jaguar and Land Rover.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th July 2017, 19:24   #1004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
1) Ride quality
2) Interior Quality and ICE
3) Space on offer

Also lets not forget, this is the same company which turned fortunes for Jaguar and Land Rover.
I think that except the Nano, all Tata cars have airways had absorbent suspension. But the big improvement in their latest cars is good handling as well.

As for ICE, while the Harman kardon systems do sounds great, they are behind the curve when it comes to features. People have started to expect large touchscreens, Android auto, Apple carplay, etc. The Nexon appears to have a large screen that's hopefully a touchscreen but nobody knows yet about the software features.

The best thing that Tata has done with Jaguar land rover is,... nothing! Simply allowing talented people to work without interference has completely turned around their fortunes. Incidentally, Volvo cars' owner, Geely, has done more or less the same with similar results. Not coincidentally, all three brands were formerly owned by Ford, who, most people agree, almost destroyed all the brands in their Premier Automotive Group through mismanagement.
Old 19th July 2017, 19:52   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
On the plus side though - they really have done well being the new 6 speed manual transmission this time.

AMT on the diesel could be acceptable as others don't offer it too. The petrol automatic users might look at the Ecosport instead.
Ford DCT has serious reliability issue. This is where Tata could take the customers if they can launch petrol automatic. Besides if Honda decides to plonk CVT option in WR-V, then probably it might be bit difficult for Tata to take the customers away from Honda. Tata should utilise Ford's weakness here before Honda wakes up.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks