Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2017, 21:16   #1051
srh
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The numbers are brilliant indeed.

Here it created a big uproar when I suggested a price 1L cheaper than these two, but CarDekho estimates are spot on target with mine. Don't see the same reactions now! A starting price of 6L onwards would be the deal this car really deserves.

One thing for sure, it would be an absolute winner if they can get the refinement right and price it this way.

Any idea if cruise control is present on the top end variant?
Zest Revotron (Petrol) XE is priced at INR 5.16 lakh ex show room Delhi. Keeping that in mind, I would be really surprised if they prices the Nexon petrol entry level model at anything below INR 6.7 lakh. To me, a starting price of INR 6 lakh is unrealistic unless they are stripping down goodies and selling a bare bones version
srh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 21:57   #1052
Senior - BHPian

I hope the turbo petrol is decent to drive and not too sluggish. While the diesel is more fun to drive i still prefer petrol cars.

I think an AMT is a decent option especially at this price range. People are just being greedy if they expect a proper automatic in this price range with all the other bells and whistles.
Some people were discussing the Dzire and AMT options. I can confirm that the previous gen Dzire had an AMT Petrol variant. It was some XYZ edition though. I drove my friends last year and thought it was alright. I tried both, driving normally and accelerating harder. There was some head bob and a bit of a delay in shifting but nothing that would outweigh the convenience of it in traffic vs a manual and I guess it will be better once I learn how to drive it better and also it seems the Maruti ones are a bit inferior to the AMT in Tatas.
Ive driven the new City auto, City ZX auto and the Vento auto and while the Dzire AMT is obviously not as smooth as the City, engine power notwithstanding but it was a LOT better than the Vento which was sluggish and prominent rubberband effect
Old 20th July 2017, 22:10   #1053
BHPian

Tata threads always make interesting reading.

People expect Tata to make cars with JLR "inputs" and that are best in class space, power, ride, features, yet sell these at 25% discount to their peers.
And when Tata does launch such a car (Hexa), then people start talking about resale, service center sofa, and all talk. No buys, only talk.

I, speaking for myself, cannot understand how can people buy cars like ....no no i wont name them. Ok I'll name a few - the original Dzire, Etios, Brezza, Amaze etc.
But most of these are best sellers, so these cars do offer some incredible value.

So what value is this value, that above cars provide, but Tata cars don't?
I think that "value" is snob value.

So, that's Tata's problem. They cannot match the so called snob appeal of their peers. Now, again to me, its maybe inappropriate to even think along such lines, considering we are talking about budget segment. But I've heard people consider Hyundai Honda Toyota as imported cars (sic) or imported technology. Whereas Tata is truck-lorry brand.

But there are a few customers, who buy a product for the product's sake, not the brand. Sadly for Tata, there are too few of them.

Open to discussion and open to change my opinion.

cheers
lazy is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 20th July 2017, 23:11   #1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy View Post
So what value is this value, that above cars provide, but Tata cars don't?
I think that "value" is snob value.

So, that's Tata's problem. They cannot match the so called snob appeal of their peers.
Absolutely agreed! Lack of 'snob value' is Tata's biggest problem IMO. I have noticed a similar trend when my relatives and friends buy a car. Most of the people are impressed by a Tata car but because a Hyundai has extra snob value, they tend to neglect a superior product.
At the same time I also believe that Tata itself is responsible for this problem. The earlier products like Indica and Indigo weren't that attractive and donned a very dry design. It will take some time for the customers to accept Tata I guess.
Old 20th July 2017, 23:27   #1055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Which version of the DZire ? The earlier one was a proper 4-speed AT and not an AMT.
I'm talking about the AMT transmission on the current, refreshed version.
Old 21st July 2017, 00:01   #1056
Distinguished - BHPian

Not too sure why this discussion has to happen in all the threads!! TATAs may not sell even if they come with a blockbuster pricing - PERIOD! Yes, they have a better chance if they do. 'Product' is not the only thing for 80% of Indian consumers in the automotive market, they look for a peaceful ownership along with a no frowning face from the society.

For what TATA has done in the past, these conditions are not met for most people who don't want to be a joker in front of those who they don't even know ("Is it a TATA that you own? Its a taxi brand! You know these have so much reliability problems." etc etc) They just want to be seen as one who made a right choice, hence they'll go for brands which have positivity in society (which also mean better resale value). I hope you also know two more clichés.

1. Maruti is so cheap to own.
2. Maruti & Premium? What a joke!!

Both arise from they way the brand is cultivated over the years. Though both are wrong in today's market (from product perspective), people will continue to sing these lines. See a relation with Tata's baggage?!!

TATA will take ages to change the perception of a poor quality manufacturer, thanks to their own stupidity. I have repeated this multiple times - there are a bunch who will NEVER bother to even peak into a TATA product. They need not have owned one, but that's what they hear about a TATA product - only negative things! Now, was it a conspiracy from some other manufacturers?? We all know the truth. Buying a car is an expensive affair - I don't think 90% of the customers will ever take a gamble, that includes bhp'ians too. Take me - I'll NEVER touch a Skoda / VW even when I admire some of the products from their stable. Let alone buying, I never recommend these brands to anyone I know! I don't want anyone to end up with a wrong experience (even by chance) and make an enemy for a life time.

Nexon being a 'in-the -face' design may definitely grab some interest from potential customers, but the definite comparison with Brezza & Ecosport will make things difficult for TATA unless they have an interesting price. That's the only way TATA can have a good order backlog. And all those who suggest an aggressive price are not the ones who hate TATA, but who want them to have the model succeed so they'll invest more into better products and be profitable in the long run.

And guys, please do not bring in JLR into picture! That brand was BUILT by someone else and TATA is more or less carrying the legacy.

Edit:: Am I interested in Nexon? Am SMITTEN by what I have seen. But will I take a plunge as soon as they launch - may NOT! I'll let the product prove itself for 6 months and if all well, then it makes a strong contender. FYI, Brezza was never even in my list for no reason. This inspire loving the brand called Maruti!!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st July 2017 at 00:31.
swiftnfurious is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 01:53   #1057
BHPian

You gotta hand it to Tata Motors. Perennial underdog. Written off as also-ran. Overtaken in sales by Mahindra. Spectacular failure of the Nano. They take it all on the chin. Tick a few boxes with the Zest. Then hit it out of the park with Tiago, Hexa and now Nexon. Of course they will not have the numbers of a Suzuki. But then, no one will in the foreseeable future. Hat tip to Tata though.
invidious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 06:03   #1058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Well said. From what I've read so far the following details have been firmed on this thread even though nobody has seen or driven this vehicle:

1. It will be priced cheap, because:

2. It doesnt look the part.

3. It will be heavy.

4. The engines will not be refined.

5. The 0-100 timing will be bad even if the engines happen to be good.

6. It wont sell. In fact we already know what numbers it will do.
You have clearly misunderstood, and misrepresented everything that has been said in this thread.

This kind of sums up what I said:

1. Will be priced cheaper than rivals given that Tata always offers a VFM deal on its products. No one meant to say that it is a cheap car.

2. Looks are always subjective just as they have been for every car out there. There are so many fans of the design including myself. You want everyone to unanimously love the way it looks in support of Tata to give them moral strength?

3. Yes it will, as Tata's track record has shown, they do make heavy cars. Might I add, that the member who pointed out that the Nexon would probably weigh a lot, also gave his opinion that it looks to be very well built as a good sign, in the very same post. Why all this emotion, I don't understand.

4. Doubts on the engine's refinement aren't acceptable to you? A 3cyl engine is always going to invite doubts on refinement because they are naturally less balanced than inline 4cyl engines. Besides, it might not be refined is far off from "will not be refined"

5. I suspect you are referring to crazydriver's post? If you go through it properly, he states "it may not be as fast". Again, very different from "will be bad".

6. I don't think anyone has just thrown sales figures out of thin air, afaik Tata themselves have set the target to a healthy 3500 units.

It is kind of obvious from your post, the behavior that always lurks among these threads; why assume that people are bashing a product when they are merely discussing it? Tata is a business, a brand, and the Nexon is a car. It is all about how the company is managed and how good their products are. No need to treat both entities as your children. Anyway this seems to be the trend here; to personify a brand and romanticize its efforts to such an extent that people blindly assume the worst is being said and get all unnecessarily rattled up and defensive, so this will be my last post here I am backing out of this quite pointless discussion.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 21st July 2017 at 06:09.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 06:53   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Amidst all the talk, here are other reasons why Tata can never match Maruti in sales.

1. 350 showrooms Vs 2000 showrooms. Honestly, no competition here at all. 10 cars per showroom per month and the difference is as big as the tallest peak of the Nilgiris Vs the Himalayas. Simply, no contest.

2. Maruti always had the upper hand with it being babied by the Central Government and getting an almost 15 year lead over other manufacturers. Tech help and collaboration with one of the biggest companies in the world, Suzuki, helped matters to tip in their favour. Tata, growing in-house, was always at a disadvantage.

3. Production capacity - Again, a no contest. Tata took a real beating with Singur, having to do it all over again at Sanad, two opposite ends of the country. It's actually a surprise that they didn't get knocked out of the reckoning, or call it a day. Like invidious mentioned, they took everything on the chin and are still marching on.

The rest of it - perceived reliability, weight, resale, snob value have already been done to death.

3500 units of the Nexon is a healthy target for Tata. That's 10 cars per showroom on average per month, or 1 car every three days. Here's to the Nexon and to Tata.

Last edited by discoverwild : 21st July 2017 at 06:54.
discoverwild is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 07:29   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Having been a Tata "convert" ( but not a Tata "fanatic" ) whatever happens in these threads are always amusing.

The fact of the matter is that the Indian car buying public ( no matter how much we keep saying that customer is intelligent and makes the best choice in the market ) is largely a herd that follows what the neighbor does. Hence its quite understandable that in the India context people will only buy a Maruti and if forced to think differently, then maybe a Hyundai. So its pointless to keep saying that Tata ( and other companies ) have to do certain things to get better sales - because - lets be clear - I don't see in the near future - any player other than the top 2 getting any significant sales in the usual segments. Hence we are probably better of saving our energy just discussing the product and its merits/shortfalls. This is not the take away credit from the great cars/service that Maruti and Hyundai offer.

At the same time, to all the "Tata fans" in this forum, pls put your money where your words are and go out there and give Tata cars a serious look when YOU buy your next car with YOUR money.

No point in just "defending" the "desi manufacturer" "who always tries so hard" and "comes up class leading products" in internet forums and then when its decision time, "I bought a Maruti because my Dad doesn't like Tata cars" or "my wife felt Hyundai is a safer bet" or "my friend advised that Tata resale value is poor".
narayan is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 08:50   #1061
BANNED

With all due respect to TML, which is due to fact of what they offer at the price that they offer.

The Nexon seems to me as a bloated or steroid version of the Bolt, something of a Bolt with a raised stance, beefier side profile, things have been jacked up in the right proportions but still feels a bit similar to what a a Hexa feels to an Aria if I was to draw an analogy in the same family, the front fascia is too similar to the Bolt.

My thoughts on seeing the pics doing the rounds, might feel different in flesh.

My wishes to TML for success with all the above said.
Old 21st July 2017, 09:07   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
Such is the customer service at Tata Concord motors, Guindy, Chennai. I gave up because I some how didn't quite fall in love with Hexa.
If you do like the Nexon, try another dealer. Tata has 3 dealerships ( if I am right ) in Chennai. I have used Tafe Reach thrice although I found VST Motors also to be very prompt when I was looking for the Storme. Never tried Concorde but have heard they are a bit casual in their approach.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 09:20   #1063
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Tata Motors has commenced production of the Tata Nexon at Ranjangaon plant in Maharashtra, if the report pubished by indianautosblog.com is to be believed:

http://indianautosblog.com/2017/07/t...+Autos+blog%29

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonfront.jpg

Quote:
Tata Motors has commenced production of the Tata Nexon at Ranjangaon plant in Maharashtra. The company has released an image of the first unit of small SUV that rolled off the production line today. The Tata Nexon is the fourth model created using the IMPACT design language.

The Tata Nexon was originally introduced as a left-hand drive concept at Auto Expo 2014. At Auto Expo 2016, the right-hand drive near-production prototype debuted. Finally, today, the company has partially unveiled the production version. The Nexon is the fourth model created using the IMPACT design language. The first production Tata B-SUV is 3,995 mm long, 1,811 mm wide and 1,607 mm tall. It has a wheelbase of 2,498 mm and offers a ground clearance of 200 mm.

Tata Motors will offer the Tata Nexon with two engines: 1.2-litre Revotron and 1.5-litre Revotorq. The 1.2-litre turbocharged petrol engine produces 110 PS and 170 Nm of torque. The 1.5-litre turbocharged diesel engine develops 110 PS and 260 Nm of torque. Both engines are paired to a 6-speed manual transmission. The Nexon is the first model in its segment to have multiple drive modes – Eco, City, and Sport. Reports say that the company will introduce an AMT option a few months after the launch.

On the outside, the Tata Nexon will have projector headlights, 16-inch alloy wheels, LED tail lights and roof rails. Other highlights would include keyless entry, engine stop-start system, automatic climate control and infotainment system with 6.5-inch floating display, navigation and voice command. Safety and driver assistance features should include dual airbags, rear parking sensors, reverse parking sensors, ABS, EBD and CSC.
Tata Nexon base variant rear spotted testing
The Tata Nexon debuts the all-new 1.5-litre Revotorq diesel engine and also a more powerful version of the 1.2-litre Revotron petrol engine.

The Tata Nexon’s prices are expected to range from around INR 6.5-9.5 lakh (ex-showroom). It will rival the Mahindra TUV300, Maruti Vitara Brezza, Ford EcoSport and Hyundai Creta. Market launch of the new mini-SUV will take place during the festive season this year.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2017, 09:21   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
If you do like the Nexon, try another dealer. Tata has 3 dealerships ( if I am right ) in Chennai. I have used Tafe Reach thrice although I found VST Motors also to be very prompt when I was looking for the Storme. Never tried Concorde but have heard they are a bit casual in their approach.
Yeah, that's what I guess I should do. My experience with Chennai Ford (also owned by VST group) has been extremely good.
Old 21st July 2017, 10:30   #1065
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
I feel red colour would look better.!
Absolutely. The rear looks much better in red IMO.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_20170721_102837.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_20170721_105318.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st July 2017 at 10:54.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed