Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2017, 18:03   #1126
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/tata-nexo...d-auto-1728253

Incidentally, the Nexon will also be the most powerful car in its range- when compared to the likes of the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza, the Ford Ecosport and the trio of Mahindra sub 4-meter SUVs, the Nuvosport, TUV 300 and KUV 100.
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 18:15   #1127
AYP
Senior - BHPian

The interiors of the car look great. Infact other than the soft touch plastics and leather wrapped steering wheel, the interiors look much better than the Hexa's interior. That being said, they should definitely offer leather wrapped steering atleast on the top-end variant. Other than that they have got almost everything covered.

Its success will be defined by its road presence vis-a-vis Brezza and the Ecosport and ofcourse, its pricing. Congrats RavenAvi on your booking.
AYP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 18:40   #1128
Senior - BHPian

Nexon is turning out to be a pretty formidable car in its class. Love the floating touchscreen which is exactly at the same place as my Mazda 3 and I know for a fact how good it is while driving keeping everything in the line of sight. Unlike Mazda though there doesnt seems to be an analogue 8 way controller wheel with shortcuts and while driving touching the screen should be a bit of a stretch. Lets see how that pans out. The diesel engine also sounds great. Its coming of age as far as Tata is concerned.
Old 23rd July 2017, 19:02   #1129
Sac
BHPian

Did you guys notice the introduction of Android auto and Car play (soon after). This must be a first for Tata Motors in it's entire line up.
Old 23rd July 2017, 19:19   #1130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
8 speaker audio system, carried forward from the Tigor...
Need not be. The output of the speakers could be higher than that of Tiago/Tigor. The Zest (and possibly the Bolt too) had a higher rating system / speakers and if I recall it sounded better.

We probably will be getting that instead of the ones in Tiago twins. An amp + sub would have taken it to a different level though.
swiftnfurious is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 19:42   #1131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Five class-leading features to look forward to in the Tata NEXON
While we all knew about these Class-Leading features through leaks, Tata quitely listens to the feedback from Hexa and Tigor about not having Android Auto and Car Play and slips it into Nexon.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-buttons.jpg
I guess Tata has also included buttons with the touch screen display, I can see forward / reverse , back etc buttons. Can see two nobs, one can be for volume but any idea what is the other one for ?

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-acc.jpg
I really wish Tata has a display for ACC in this blank patch, when we were reviewing the Tigor it was an eye-sore as I often would look in a hope to have some kind of display there.

Kudo's to RavenAvi of booking the car even before it is unveiled. The small and big changes brought by Tata are helping in attracting and having trust in their new products.

Last edited by amrutmhatre90 : 23rd July 2017 at 19:43.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 19:42   #1132
BHPian

Interiors look fabulous especially the floating touchscreen and in Tata speak the grand central console, first in class and definitely from a couple of classes above. Hope the awesome looking central console have not compromised knee room and the foot well.

Congratulations RevanAvi for your booking.

Last edited by S.MJet : 23rd July 2017 at 19:50.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 20:28   #1133
BHPian

If they get the driving dynamics right and throw in an automatic transmission, I might have to seriously consider it against the upcoming S-Cross. The lack of high quality leather upholstery might be a bit of a downer though.
Old 23rd July 2017, 20:28   #1134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
Its success will be defined by its road presence vis-a-vis Brezza and the Ecosport and ofcourse, its pricing.
Having seen it in the flesh, I can say it will stand its ground with its head held high. No doubt about it. It has street presence.
discoverwild is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 20:48   #1135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Need not be. The output of the speakers could be higher than that of Tiago/Tigor. The Zest (and possibly the Bolt too) had a higher rating system / speakers and if I recall it sounded better.

We probably will be getting that instead of the ones in Tiago twins. An amp + sub would have taken it to a different level though.
Good point. Thanks. Had completely forgotten about the Zest HU. It had 4 * 25W RMS as compared to 4 * 20W setup as found in the Tigor. Don't remember much of a difference though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Tata definitely want to keep certain high-end features limited to their flagship to justify the price ( not just the size). Remember, it's 100% more expensive than the speculated Nexon price.
That said, and as you alluded to, what we get are already class leading.
I was under the impression that the JBL system is available from the Hexa mid variant (XM) which starts at 12.8L now. Not too further from the top variant of Nexon as per speculated prices.

However, just cross checked that its available only in the XT variant of Hexa. XM just gets a 5 inch HU with an 8 speaker setup. So you're right.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd July 2017 at 20:50.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 21:43   #1136
BHPian

There seems to be a lot of discussion in the forum over every new Tata product these days. Tata really seems to be coming of age now. Let me also put here the storm(e) my mind is experiencing since last few days.
I had seen the Nexon concept at the 2014 Auto Expo. I did not find it worth a second look. Again, saw the prototype at the 2016 Auto Expo, again I was repulsed by the Bolt-ish looks of the car. It felt just like one of the many descendents of now ubiquitous Indica. Never been a fan of Tata’s car design language. During the first two years on the job, I was being chauffeured in a Tata Sumo Grande and found it to be quite good. But never considered a Tata car for personal use (except the Safari), not because of any technological or perceptional bias but solely because of the looks. I now get driven to work here in India in a Ciaz vdi+ shvs. Have a Swift Dzire zxi at home for personal use. Yes, I belong to that vast group of Indians who would rarely consider a car beyond a Maruti Suzuki.

So, in the market for a new car, I’m eyeing (or should I say, I was) the S-Cross facelift. I’m absolutely smitten by the facelifted car and had not considered any other car since I cancelled my Brezza booking last year (because I was working abroad on and off during that period.) Scross DDiS320 Alpha was always out of my budget for car at this time. So I would have to pick the DDiS200 expected for around 13-14 lacs on road (unless MS brings the 1.4 boosterjet.) I thought it would be a major upgrade over the Dzire in terms of interior, exterior and equipment wise (although not much difference mechanically.)

Well, that was the thought process till two incidents happened. First, Tata announced engine specifications for Nexon last week. And all the estimates for top end Nexon pointing around 12 lacs on road, and with 108 bhp on tap and also that sixth cog in the overdrive, I’m suddenly finding myself paying more for what would be less than desired mechanical package in S-Cross DDiS200. It can be said that I’m comparing cars from two different segments but I can’t help it. I’m sure lot many would do the same.

Second, two days back I happened to drive a friend’s Tiago petrol on a trip to a hill station. Everything seemed better than what I knew about earlier Tata cars. The music system is just too good for the segment. Light steering was the only downside on that car. Hope it would be a bit more weighted on the Nexon.

Now, if it can deliver those numbers in real world, I’m more than willing to give this Tata a chance. Eagerly waiting for a test drive. Only thing remain is to convince myself to like the looks or find the solutions to mask those smiling curves.
drnilswap is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 22:02   #1137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
I guess Tata has also included buttons with the touch screen display, I can see forward / reverse , back etc buttons. Can see two nobs, one can be for volume but any idea what is the other one for ?
Just going by what it is on my Kizashi and most other cars with two rotary knobs for the stereo system, it's probably for tuning and adjusting sound, tuning other functions of the stereo, flipping through folders etc.
Old 23rd July 2017, 23:28   #1138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnilswap View Post
Yes, I belong to that vast group of Indians who would rarely consider a car beyond a Maruti Suzuki.
With the exception of this bit, I'm in a very similar frame of mind as you right now. In this regard, I'm the exact opposite: I have never considered a Maruti Suzuki car so far primarily because the vast majority of Indians prefer it.

Quote:
So, in the market for a new car, I'm eyeing (or should I say, I was) the S-Cross facelift. … I thought it would be a major upgrade over the Dzire in terms of interior, exterior and equipment wise (although not much difference mechanically.)
Whoa, do you say this having test driven both cars thoroughly? Because it's not true at all. The S-Cross is a far superior car mechanically than the DZire. It feels like you're piloting a car two segments higher than the compact sedan.

Quote:
Now, if it can deliver those numbers in real world, I'm more than willing to give this Tata a chance. Eagerly waiting for a test drive. Only thing remain is to convince myself to like the looks or find the solutions to mask those smiling curves.
Here we're in complete agreement. This is going to be an unpopular opinion in this thread but I'm not a fan of the Nexon's exterior design, from when I can see in these photographs. There's simply too much going on, and none of it is elegant. I vastly prefer the design of the Hexa to this vehicle's. But I'm considering having it as a backup, just in case Maruti Suzuki goes and does something stupid with the incoming S-Cross.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic. I was suprised to see another member trying to decide between the same two cars as I am, despite them being from very different segments.
aryayush is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 00:36   #1139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
But I'm considering having it as a backup, just in case Maruti Suzuki goes and does something stupid with the incoming S-Cross.

Sorry for going a bit off-topic. I was suprised to see another member trying to decide between the same two cars as I am, despite them being from very different segments.
Don't be too surprised.

Qouting myself from another thread (The "I Booked my Car" Thread). This was in response to RavenAvi and posted earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Nexon is currently my Plan B as well depending on Jeep Compass pricing, however my purchase will only be towards mid 2018 in case it's Nexon and even later if it's Compass. Lost confidence on the furture of the SCross 1.6 DDiS and as per your words, the new TATA 1.5 Diesel might be the one to watch out for.
Agree on the design front as well. Nexon sure looks polarizing (and saying that might be considered as bashing) and I certainly prefer the more conventional looking Ecosport and Brezza (Considering same segment) over it, purely from a design perspective. Nexon borders on overdone styling in pics and is hopefully better in the real world. The interior however is a polar opposite and looks classy and rather "German". And being a TATA, my other prime requirement of build quality won't be compromised as well.

My interest in the Nexon is purely due to the performance figures revealed for the new 1.5 oil burner, which might make it a good highway cruiser for the price. Though some could argue that the Hexa makes a better choice for the segment and price of the other options I'm considering, it is just too big to fit in my current requirements for a family of two.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th July 2017 at 00:44.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 07:17   #1140
BHPian

This car is turning out to be delight! The learning curve for TATA has been quite astonishing. Its been only 3 years since the Zest was launched and since then every car that has been launched has been well above average. Tata has surely built up quite a momentum and they just need to keep their act together and I don't see any reason why they cant be a top 3 manufacturer in the next 3 years.

Coming to the Nexon, TATA has surely loaded the car to its gills. I cant possibly think of any feature that might be missing. Except possibly a sunroof. This might very well rival the feature loaded Creta and this says a lot of the amount of progress that TATA has made. Being a TATA a good ride is a given !
Touchscreen >> Check
Start stop button >> Check
Request sensor >> Check
Android Auto/Carplay >> Check
Stonking performance >> Check, atleast with the performance figures quoted !

A few possible nitpickings

>> The multi drive modes are very usable but its far more convenient if they could have provided the buttons for them on the steering wheel. Its very inconvenient to take your hands off the steering wheel to change the modes. I know it cause I own a Bolt. But it wouldn't have looked as cool as it does now
>> I don't like the allow wheel design personally, I find them too loud !
>> They should have used the instrument cluster from the Zest/Bolt twins rather than the Tiago. The cluster in the Zest/Bolt looks way more upmarket. Attaching images for reference.
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatazest04.jpg
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatazica06.jpg

The new age TATAs all have excellent build quality, unlike the Indicas of old. I drive a TATA Bolt RT with approx 25k on the odo. It doesn't have a single rattle, not even one. May be a squeak from a few rubber parts. It rides like a dream for a hatch, superb seats , effective AC, fantastic quality all around. Below average FE though and a really small boot! TATA needs better service centres, atleast here in NCR, which is a BIG market. My experiences have been quite underwhelming unfortunately with A$$.

Last edited by coldice4u : 24th July 2017 at 07:25.
coldice4u is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks