Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2017, 07:24   #1141
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
My interest in the Nexon is purely due to the performance figures revealed for the new 1.5 oil burner, which might make it a good highway cruiser for the price.
Absolutely.

If you are the type who regularly does long drives along reasonably good Indian highways ( which I did for many years largely in the Southern States ) - I think this car shouldn't disappoint going by my experience with Storme and the Bolt.
Let me not elaborate too much on the Storme ( because enough said ), the Bolt is an amazing highway cruiser and I didn't even have the diesel version. I have done consistent higher 3 digit speeds on largely empty roads that evokes surprise from much larger cars on the highways. The car is totally stable at these speeds ( no exaggeration)

**PLS NOTE - THESE WERE DONE IN A VERY PLANNED MANNER WITH LOT OF CAUTION AND WITH HIGH VISIBILITY OF THE ROAD UP AHEAD AND I DO NOT RECOMMEND ANY OF YOU TO DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE IN SUCH IDEAL CONDITIONS WITH ALL NECESSARY PRECAUTIONS**

Hence, I feel the Nexon should feel rock solid with that creamy diesel engine and "heavy" body and of course all those safety features as well.

Last edited by ampere : 24th July 2017 at 07:37. Reason: Removed the numbers
narayan is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 07:58   #1142
BHPian

Am I the only one who thinks that the rear seat occupants hardly have any window area to speak of? The waistline seems to be incredibly high.
Old 24th July 2017, 09:07   #1143
Senior - BHPian

Only fly in the argument for me seems to be the external styling. Not a fan of the looks. I saw one camoflauged on the road and got to say, both Brezza and Ecosport seem to have more road presence than the Nexon.

But despite that, if I was in the market for a compact SUV (which I am not), it would be the Nexon, I will put my money on. This is purely based on the specs on offer as revealed now. The interior quality (from the pics) and the engine on offer (diesel) clinch the deal for me so much so that exterior looks can be compromised.

But, what I would wait and watch is the real world performance of the car. Tata cars typically ride well, so I have no concerns there. What bothers me is that Tata has seemingly not yet learnt to cut down on the flab. I would really like to see the weight of this car and how it affects the performance in the real world.
vibbs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 10:30   #1144
BHPian

Nexon - AWD? Unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I sincerely hope TATA brings an AWD version of the Nexon diesel in the near future.
Well, AWD in a Sub 4m Urban / Pseudo SUV will be a first for India. Though it can be done and Nexon, incidentally will be the ideal candidate for trying it out, because :-
  • From the numerous videos of the car being brutally tested in varied terrain - Spiti, Ladakh, Rajasthan , Nexon seems solid with robust underpinnings.
  • The high ground clearance will lend itself to smooth negotiating of broken roads/ bad terrain.
  • Robust engines with healthy power and torque will lend it the go anywhere ability.
  • Abuse friendly design of the recent Tata offerings should help it explore the back of the beyond with bad roads/ no roads.

Hope Tata offers it as an option later. Given the rich experience of the Tatas in producing capable 4x4 vehicles this should turn out to be a decent explorer. For now however, due to financial constraints of pricing it competitively and as someone pointed out, the reported inability of the Vista platform to accommodate a rear differential, it remains a pipe dream.

Cheers !

Last edited by Ironhide : 24th July 2017 at 10:36.
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 11:31   #1145
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that the rear seat occupants hardly have any window area to speak of? The waistline seems to be incredibly high.
Somewhat true.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-20160412113147_8.jpg
(Source)

The higher window line at the rear does have that effect. Taller passengers won't be complaining, but shorter people might feel a bit claustrophobic. Maybe a quarter glass section at the rear could have improved things a bit more (the C-pillar stability might have been compromised though).

That said, the overall ambience inside the cabin looks quite bright and open. Also, people seeking a bit more privacy at the rear won't be complaining.
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 11:50   #1146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Also, people seeking a bit more privacy at the rear won't be complaining.
True. Moreover, with the sunfilm rule in place, the rear passengers would be more than happy to have less sun filtering in. Shorter passengers may feel odd. But if these are children, it is anyway safer to have them strapped into their own child car seats.

I am a little late in this discussion, but any chance of a proper auto transmission on the diesel would really help.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 12:35   #1147
BHPian

Definitely a car to look forward to. The interiors appear impressive and the engine options could translate into an above average performance package if the rest of mechanicals (suspension, steering) complement them.
Is there any news about the safety kit? Chances of more than the standard 2-airbags in the top variants? Given that even the Tiago has EBD and Corner Stability, I suppose these will find their way into the Nexon. Any indications of ESP? With safety regulations expected to be more stringent in near future, I hope Tatas have designed and tested the Nexon with anticipated crash test requirements in mind.
Old 24th July 2017, 13:12   #1148
BHPian

Quote:
Somewhat true.

The higher window line at the rear does have that effect. Taller passengers won't be complaining, but shorter people might feel a bit claustrophobic.
I think that would depend on how high set the seat is, relative to the beltline. I am betting it will feel much better than the Ecosport, which has a really high window sill. (Ref image: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...rear-seats.jpg)

I could be wrong, but the design of the rear seat suggests the middle occupant may not find it as comfortable as the others over long rides.
spindoc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 14:43   #1149
BHPian

Quote:
Somewhat true.

That said, the overall ambience inside the cabin looks quite bright and open. Also, people seeking a bit more privacy at the rear won't be complaining.
Is the nexon designed to be a 4 seater, as the seats seems to be designed with an emphasis on seating 4. Looking at the centre portion of the seat it appears the 5th passenger wont be happy at the end of a journey. In comparison , the seats of Zest look much wider and can seat 5 in relative comfort. May be not as fancy looking as the ones in the Nexon , but people who have sat in the Zest/Bolt will vouch for their supreme comfort over long journeys with just the right amount of firmness and cushioning.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatazest02.jpg  

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-20160412113147_8.jpg  

coldice4u is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 14:51   #1150
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Is the nexon designed to be a 4 seater, as the seats seems to be designed with an emphasis on seating 4.
Agreed. The middle seat looks compromised for the comfort of the other two.

However, it looks better than Zest when it comes to comfort for four. Just look at that seat base and the underthigh support. Impressive indeed! Then comes comfort factors like dedicated rear a/c vents and center armrests.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th July 2017 at 14:54.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 15:01   #1151
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the nexon designed to be a 4 seater, as the seats seems to be designed with an emphasis on seating 4. Looking at the centre portion of the seat it appears the 5th passenger wont be happy at the end of a journey.
The Nexon rear seat looks like it can seat 2 in better comfort (with more under thigh support and bolstering for the back) than the Bolt. Maybe the 5th person is better off in the Bolt than the Nexon especially with the foldable armrest.

But then we are comparing this with a hatchback. Maybe they are looking to increase the experience for 4 than make it acceptable for 5.
I would prefer comfortable seating for 4, but then that is my subjective requirement.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 15:08   #1152
BHPian

So does our team-bhp folks going to drive Nexon tomorrow in Kochi media drive? I saw in Twitter that kochi media drive will start tomorrow.
satish_tns is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 15:22   #1153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is the nexon designed to be a 4 seater, as the seats seems to be designed with an emphasis on seating 4.
Personally, I think it's better 2 in comfort than 3 in squeeze. In any case, it's our typical Indian penchant to cram up a car. But then again, how often do we do that? And since, Nexon isn't an MUV, it shouldn't be a deal-breaker for most.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 15:54   #1154
BHPian

Spotted a couple of Nexon's at the World's highest motorable pass (Board Indicated :P) last month (Have been meaning to upload the pics since quite a while). I was riding in the whereabouts of their itinerary so did caught up with these testing duo(I presume one is petrol and other is diesel) a couple of times at various places like Tanglang La, Pangong and Leh city. They were being maneuvered at the top with relative ease and the running engines appeared decently muffled (atleast on idle) considering the power its generating (Read not much apparent diesel clatter). Cabin looked roomy and the ground clearance was adequate for those occasional off roading excursions I feel. Will try and see if i can spot them in any of my gopro footage or other pics from companion's collection.

Noted a lot of the fellow travelers busy clicking these babies on every opportunity as they generated quite some interest all around. Probably a lot of these pics/videos already made it to internet as well.
I'm sure Nexon is a very good VFM proposition for some serious goodies it offers. I'm already partially sold at the engine specs, especially the diesel mill. Cheers to Tata for finally catching up with the compact SUV trend with a noteworthy offering. Eagerly waiting for launch and first drive experiences.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_4706.jpg  

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_4707.jpg  

camitesh is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 24th July 2017, 17:21   #1155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Absolutely.
the Bolt is an amazing highway cruiser and I didn't even have the diesel version. I have done consistent higher 3 digit speeds on largely empty roads that evokes surprise from much larger cars on the highways. The car is totally stable at these speeds ( no exaggeration)
Absolutely agree. Have done two cross-country runs with the Vista (the Bolt is even better). 8500 kms in 25 days across varying terrain through Central, North and West India in 2015 (temperatures up to 52 degrees) and one early this month, 5400 kms in 8 days (CBE-DEL-CBE). Absolutely fantastic drives.
We did 350, 1200 and 900 kms on the way up and 700, 1100 and 700 kms on the way back each day. Reached home at midnight and was in the office the next morning without a break.

The Nexon is only going to better that comfort.
discoverwild is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks