Old 25th July 2017, 17:33   #1246
srh
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Bingo, srh!

You have given me the answer.

The height difference between Bolt and Nexon? 45mm. Out of which ground clearance accounts for 35mm of the difference. Rest is only 10mm, or 1 cm - easily due to the roof rails.

Wheelbase is same, the actual car body height is the same as Bolt. No wonder it looks small, like a jacked up Bolt. Videos taken are all pointed downwards like looking at a small car, unlike others like Brezza and Ecosport which stand higher.

Wonder why TATA kept the height same as Bolt, when the body panels where not shared!
The issue isn't that the Nexon is less pseudo-SUVlike - the issue was that the Bolt was less hatchback like and more pseudo-SUV like (further marred by the shorter length). So while I haven't seen the Nexon in real, I guess that it would be fairly proportionate. The Brezza is just about 3 cm taller but a little narrow. The Creta is obviously bigger on all dimensions except width. The same goes with the lesser width of the Ecosport. But then from my perspective, I prefer a wider vehicle with added shoulder room as compared to a longer vehicle which just adds a bit of more luggage space. Exception is where added length adds significant more leg room or a third row of seats.

Last edited by srh : 25th July 2017 at 17:34.
Old 25th July 2017, 17:44   #1247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Not cool. What would be the effort to design a wiper which alignes with the bottom of the wind shield? And since Tata has poured a lot of effort into the design, I would have loved the cross wipers rather than uni directional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
I don't think Tata would have missed this, might be the glass area of the front windshield is too large to accommodate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The engine bay. Seems like a very snug fit.

Attachment 1660417
Looking at this pic, there seems to be enough space for the straighter wiper. Maybe it was a designing choice from Tata, to give the car a tough look. Cross wipers would have looked cool but I would take this anyday over the other eccentricities present on this car.
Old 25th July 2017, 17:46   #1248
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
Including roof rails.Quite some number crunching
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enobarbus View Post
. So Nexon is definitely taller.
Going to need every inch of that, because the looks are sure turning out to be very polarizing. Almost 50% responses being against it.

The response has been very different as compared to their other recent launches like Hexa, Tiago, Tigor etc which were almost faultless when it came to the looks department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagateja View Post
Here goes another car out of the 'fully loaded' list for me.
So it's not just me. I'm left disappointed at the end of Day 1 of the media reveal - as compared to yesterday.

There are no surprises in the features list. XZ+ badge aside - it misses out on a lot of features. There is simply NO standout feature for the Nexon. (Like 6 airbags in Ecosport and sunroof in WRV) TATA has adopted a very conservative approach in features (as against the overly flashy approach on the exterior)

No 6 airbags.
No sunroof.
No cruise control.
No electric fold ORVMs?
CarPlay to be introduced later.

At least could have given the 10 speaker JBL setup for the XZ+ variant.

Hopefully, the details of the drive experience trickling down on Day-2 will make things better. The only redeeming factor now could be the diesel engine (Interiors are elegant alright but not enough to be a full USP with this feature list), if it turns out to be as good as the numbers suggest.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 25th July 2017 at 17:50.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 17:46   #1249
Sac
BHPian

A perspective for gauging the size and proportions.. (source: Twitter)
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1500984958887.jpg  

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1500984976864.jpg  

Sac is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 17:46   #1250
Team-BHP Support

***Nitpicking alert***

Tata was one of the few manufacturers with sorted variants; Entry (XE), Mid (XM) and Top (XT), with added third letters for Safety Pack (S) or Automatic (A).

This whole fascination with creating top++ variants is making it all meaningless again. Never understood the fascination to begin with.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 17:55   #1251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Sir, Why the passenger side wiper should rest like this ? as shown in the pic.
May be to point out this. Are we going to see this even in the vehicles once they hit the showrooms ?
[quote=RavenAvi;4240112]Looks like that will be the idle resting place for the passenger side wiper. As long as it is effective and doesn't cause any problems, should be fine.

Although I would have preferred the wiper to start from where the rubber beading of the front windshield's lower section ended.

First of all I would like to Congratulate to RavenAvi & mrbaddy for there bookings !!! I personally enjoyed reading this thread and see how people are excited about this car.

As far as passenger side wiper position is concerned, they have been positioned to provide smooth air flow out which is coming from the hood (from aerodynamics point of view). Moreover I am surprised to see TATA have started to provide the frameless wipers (which will create less aero acoustics noise) to this car so this ensures that lot of engineering has done on this car
akshay386 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 17:59   #1252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Going to need every inch of that, because the looks are sure turning out to be very polarizing. Almost 50% responses being against it.

The response has been very different as compared to their other recent launches like Hexa, Tiago, Tigor etc which were almost faultless when it came to the looks department.

So it's not just me. I'm left disappointed at the end of Day 1 of the media reveal - as compared to yesterday.

There are no surprises in the features list. XZ+ badge aside - it misses out on a lot of features. There is simply NO standout feature for the Nexon. (Like 6 airbags in Ecosport and sunroof in WRV) TATA has adopted a very conservative approach in features (as against the overly flashy approach on the exterior)

No 6 airbags.
No sunroof.
No cruise control.
No electric fold ORVMs?
CarPlay to be introduced later.

At least could have given the 10 speaker JBL setup for the XZ+ variant.

Hopefully, the details of the drive experience trickling down on Day-2 will make things better. The only redeeming factor now could be the diesel engine (Interiors are elegant alright but not enough to be a full USP with this feature list), if it turns out to be as good as the numbers suggest.
Going by looks alone, yes, I dont like the overall silhouette of the car and its sure to put off a large number of potential buyers. Being based on the same platform as the Zest/Bolt, I guess TATA did not want to make major tooling changes and kept a lot of the body shell intact. Unlike Maruti, which spawned from the Brezza from the Swift platform (?) and even the Ertiga from the Ritz !

And i expect the interior space on offer on the Nexon to be about the same or slightly less than the Zest/Bolt, which might or might not be a good thing!

The one really BIG redeeming feature that TATA might offer on the Nexon , a mouth watering price!

Last edited by coldice4u : 25th July 2017 at 18:01.
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 18:02   #1253
BHPian

So As with TATA launches, before even seeing the car and driving it people have started bashing.

I see lot of negative comments specifically from some people who have not even owned TATA and are having the same mind set which they had 20 years ago.

So, for reference, I own TATA Hexa 4x2 XT and am very happy with my decision even though I bought it in February 2017 i.e., Pre-GST. And, this is my first TATA car.

Personally, I love Nexon, it is fresh and from the pictures it looks well built not like flimsy Brezza or Baleno.

Some one asked and gave value proposition of each manufacturer and said build quality for VW. Wow, you simply forgot the big emission scandal which VW has committed. So much for their build quality.

Coming back to Nexon, it has everything going for it. Its success will solely depend upon its price and I agree it will be a make or break for it.

For my Hexa, I didn't face any issues with the car or TATA After Sales Service until now. My sales experience was awesome and I thank KHT Motors for a wonderful experience.

Sorry, couldn't help and had to post it as I see lot of wrong comments being said without true facts.

-PK
pk_del is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 18:13   #1254
Senior - BHPian

It is little wider and bit short comparing to competition. I like overall stance of the vehicle. It does not look like raised alto (Brezza) or iron box (Ecosport). But exterior design is very non-Tata. I leave the final comment on exterior design till I see it in all color options. Quality looks top notch comparing to competition especially interior. 2 things could have made it even nicer - leather steering cover and nice looking exhaust tip.

Last edited by Latheesh : 25th July 2017 at 18:14.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 18:23   #1255
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
...But, no leather wrapped steering wheel ? Strange decision by TATA! That steering needs a leather wrap!
I came across this same suggestion from another member too I guess. That's a beautifully crafted steering wheel and is much better than anything from the Maruti stable (may be except for S-Cross).

The fact is, none will miss a steering wrapped leather steering. The size is very good to fit in the palm and also it has some detailing and NO plasticky feel like Marutis.
swiftnfurious is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 18:42   #1256
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting to read both opinions for the Nexon - from those who like it, and from those who are sitting on the fence.

I, for one, like it.

For one, the Nexon has no pretensions of selling itself as a wannabe SUV - it is a raised crossover and looks every bit like one (the parent company might bill/advertise it as otherwise). Secondly, the car is quite loaded with plenty of contemporary features which aren't offered in some other cars at/above it's segment. I don't miss cruise control (had it on my 2014 City but never used it), sunroof, ventilated seats, or any other fancy feature which will end up being unused during an ownership span after the initial showing-off period is over.

The interiors and the quality look absolutely top-notch, and this is where I will be spending most of my time in the Nexon. I don't mind a missing steering wrap (although there's nothing like an original leather factory fitting), when everything else on offer is pretty much f-a-b.

Instead, I will be a bit disappointed if the Nexon compromises on safety - if the car is priced above 10 lakhs, I expect it to have at least 6 airbags, TCS/ESC, etc. For a car with that stonking 1.5L under the hood, full safety features are a must when traversing through Indian roads which are full of sudden surprises at every curve, corner, nook and cranny - be it cows, buffaloes, dogs, stray children or idiots behind the wheels of other vehicles.

The biggest draw for the Nexon is the 1.5L diesel itself which churns out almost as much torque as a (nearly) 20-lakh Creta, and which should be available at almost half of the Hyundai's price.

It's high time people went back to the basics of what used to sell in a car - it's engine. Combine that with a decent set of safety features, and you can take my money any day.

Everything else, for me at least, is expendable.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th July 2017 at 18:44.
RavenAvi is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 18:44   #1257
BHPian

Their promo video suggests the exterior will look a lot more sedate in shades such as grey or even white, as those would reduce the contrast with the ceramic bits. Those could appeal to folks who find the exterior design too loud.

See screen-grab for reference.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tata_nexon_grey.png

Last edited by spindoc : 25th July 2017 at 18:46.
spindoc is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 18:51   #1258
srh
BHPian

One thing I am curious about - does it come with disc brakes on all 4 wheels? That would be a real addition to the specs
Old 25th July 2017, 18:52   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
So As with TATA launches, before even seeing the car and driving it people have started bashing.

Well said..!

They have just presented the top end version of the car to the media and people have already written obituary

Highlight of that is couple of pages back we have comments mentioning that petrol engine is dead on arrival. Seriously ?

Being a memeber of a forum like Team BHP we should be providing authentic and genuine information. Not something that comes out of an instinct.

I feel some of the comments in this thread looks like they have been posted just for the sake of it. Sorry if it offends anyone, but sadly thats the truth.

Coming to the car as such it looks very promising and pricing alone I think will determine its fate.

Mods : Please remove this message if you feel this is off topic

Last edited by RJ411 : 25th July 2017 at 18:57. Reason: Typo
RJ411 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 18:56   #1260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
Their promo video suggests the exterior will look a lot more sedate in shades such as grey or even white, as those would reduce the contrast with the ceramic bits. Those could appeal to folks who find the exterior design too loud.
Indeed and thanks for the info.

But most folks complaining here about things being busy etc. are hardly interested in the car IMHO. I also find the leather wrap comment a bit too much. You get it for few hundred bucks if you are so hell-bent on one, but what I see in the pictures does look good.
I would wait till I see the car in person before making any negative comment.

I also request people to search this thread before posting something. The dimension comparison has already been discussed few pages back and we all know that in terms of length, Nexon is as long it can get under 4M.
prakash_ajp is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed