Plenty of unexpected & first in class features :
- Floating touchscreen
- Central tunnel
- Use of Ceramic
- Umbrella holders
- Shutter lid for cup-holders
- Drive modes
- Key in wristband

Add this to the class leading diesel engine & stunning looks, and we certainly have a very good overall package.
And still people crib about cruise control/Sunroof.

Somehow, during the launch of this car I had similar feelings as I had when S-Cross launched. Bit positively anxious but happy.

Personally, I liked the car be it interiors or Exteriors. Yes it doesn't have that menacing look which Ecosport consists of but it has it's own flair.

Engines or Power to weight ratio is way ahead from contenders.

Interior Quality seems to give a lesson or two to Maruti and set benchmarks even for Hyundai.

Above all what shines like a sun is the attention to detail, trying to give or get something extra out of everything. Be it the housing to place an umbrella or illuminated glovebox with recesses to hold wallet/cup holders.

Wish TATA got the taste of runaway success with this product.

Only grouse or concern that I had is the use of TIAGO's instrumentation panel where in they could have used the classy looking Zest/Bolt unit. Another is to check how well they have done the Sound deadening, to keep NVH levels of 3 cylinder Petrol Unit under control.

Congratulations RavenAvi and mrbaddy .Envy you mates. Would love to see a review from you guys prior to the official review.
Highh5 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 23:07   #1307
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Going by the snapshot of the video about petrol and diesel engine in Nexon which Tata released last week, its not hard to guess which engine is under the hood of these cars

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1.png

Petrol
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-red.jpg

Diesel
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-blue.jpg

Nice walk around video of the petrol Nexon in Red
https://twitter.com/deveshshobha/sta...25585182240772

Last edited by damager21 : 25th July 2017 at 23:11.
damager21 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 23:09   #1308
Senior - BHPian

I just want more information on how the petrol engine is to drive and in terms of refinement. While the diesel might be more powerful, I prefer petrol and a turbocharged petrol even more. It opens up the possibility of a remap to make it fun to drive
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 23:19   #1309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Only grouse or concern that I had is the use of TIAGO's instrumentation panel where in they could have used the classy looking Zest/Bolt unit.
What if they are planning to stop producing Zest and Bolt sometime soon? Then this part sharing will be economical. I am just thinking. The other console looks much better though.

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 25th July 2017 at 23:21.
Old 25th July 2017, 23:30   #1310
BHPian

Wait, is there no auto transmission on offer? Some of you did mention AMT, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on any of the leaked images and first impressions.

The wearable activity key sounds like an absolutely fantastic feature! I genuinely find the fat keyfob of my Hyundai Verna quite intrusive on many an occassion, and the first time I saw this feature on the Jaguar E-Pace website, I knew it would be awesome to have.

Last edited by aryayush : 25th July 2017 at 23:35.
aryayush is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 23:41   #1311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
So, for the diesel -

Power to weight ratio -

Brezza - 76 HP /ton.
Ecosport - 79 HP /ton.
Honda WRV - 84 HP/ton.
Nexon - 84 HP /ton.

Torque to weight ratio -

Ecosport - 164 Nm /ton
W-RV - 170 Nm /ton
Brezza - 171 Nm /ton
Nexon - 199 Nm /ton.
And, for the petrols:

Power to weight ratio:

Maruti Vitara Brezza - _N.A._
Honda WR-V - 80.4 HP /ton.
Tata Nexon - 89 HP /ton.
Ford Ecosport 1.5L - 92 HP /ton.
Ford EcoSport 1.0L - 98 HP /ton.

Torque to weight ratio:

Honda WR-V - 99.6 Nm /ton.
Ford Ecosport 1.5L - 117 Nm /ton
Ford EcoSport 1.0L - 135 Nm/ton.
Tata Nexon - 137.4 Nm /ton.

Well, well, well..never thought I would say this, but - at least the numbers suggest that the Nexon's 1.2L, 3-cylinder, turbocharged petrol heart is slightly more torquey than the 1.0L EcoBoost of the EcoSport!!

Let's see if that translates into real world performance now!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th July 2017 at 23:49. Reason: added last lines.
RavenAvi is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 25th July 2017, 23:58   #1312
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Well, well, well..never thought I would say this, but - at least the numbers suggest that the Nexon's 1.2L, 3-cylinder, turbocharged petrol heart is slightly more torquey than the 1.0L EcoBoost of the EcoSport!!

Ecoboost is not a very torquey motor. In fact, it has quite a lot of lag at the bottom end, which takes time getting used to! The 1.0 Boosterjet is better in this regard as compared to the Ford, but Maruti seems to have no interest in plonking that motor into the Brezza.

Nexon might have an advantage in real world driveability, if they manage to sort out all NVH issues.

Also,

Any idea if those projectors are Halogen or HID?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 26th July 2017 at 00:00.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 00:06   #1313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am guessing that the blue Nexon has the 1.5L diesel under it's hood, while the red Nexon is equipped with the 1.2L turbocharged petrol.
Yes, the Blue has D11 sticker and Red P11
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 00:08   #1314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ecoboost is not a very torquey motor. In fact, it has quite a lot of lag at the bottom end, which takes time getting used to!
True, but where the EcoBoost shines is it's strong mid-range.

The Nexon's Revotron might be on similar performance lines, since it shares the same characteristics as the EcoBoost, although it's all-aluminium build could negate things a bit.

Add the meaty 1237 kgs into the mix, and we might see another 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol which is slow off the blocks but comes into it's own post 2000RPM onwards.

Quote:
The 1.0 Boosterjet is better in this regard as compared to the Ford, but Maruti seems to have no interest in plonking that motor into the Brezza.
A lighter car can make things easier for these 1.0L turbocharged petrol hearts. Fatter kerb weight will make things difficult for an inherent 3-cylinder petrol with low displacement (minus the turbo).

Quote:
Nexon might have an advantage in real world driveability, if they manage to sort out all NVH issues.
There is a balancer unit provided to control the vibrations and harshness, but I suspect there will be some NVH issues. Sound won't be as smooth and silent as a proper 4-cylinder petrol, that's for sure.

Quote:
Any idea if those projectors are Halogen or HID?
Seems like Halogen ones.

Also, if they were HIDs, they would have highlighted it as a separate feature in their spec sheets.

Shared by Pratap Bose on Twitter with the tag:
Quote:
"What an amazing journey to go from a clay to a real car... And what a team to do it with! Still a thrill!"
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-dfmzvo9wsaa0ekw.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 26th July 2017 at 00:35. Reason: added last part & pic.
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 00:14   #1315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
What if they are planning to stop producing Zest and Bolt sometime soon? Then this part sharing will be economical. I am just thinking. The other console looks much better though.
I don't think that they will stop producing Zest/bolt which brings consistent 2500+ orders. In fact what I'm anticipating is they might come up with the midlife facelift of Zest in order to maintain pace with the competition.
Highh5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 01:47   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
I'm personally not very happy about the 8 speaker system and will definitely look at an upgrade, if I end up buying the Nexon. (As with other cars in the segment too, I need to add). Any audio guy will long for a properly tuned sub sooner or later. But that's just me and I expect atleast 95% buyers to be happy with the stock audio.
True that ! If you are looking for exceptional bass reproduction (read as tight bass and not boomy), a decent sub-woofer will be sorely missed. Hope we can just "plug n play" one to the existing system and make it sound better.
Old 26th July 2017, 04:08   #1317
BHPian

The Nexon is a stunning car. This is the first time a company has used ceramics in a passenger car in India, I believe. I'm curious to know how some people could infer that the Petrol sounds bad? The Tiago does not sound bad. It is the same as the Celerio or perhaps a bit better. If you want to look at a car that sounds really horrible inside, drive the Renault Kwid. The Tiago sounds like it is from a segment above. Please drive it before you form an opinion (and share it for the benefit of the rest of the world).
Coming back to the Nexon, I'm attaching a picture here of three car dashboards. I've blanked out the logos to help Tata Phobic people.
Name:  TeamBhp.PNG
Views: 3704
Size:  265.5 KB
The first belongs to a Mazda 3. The second one is the Nexon. The third one is the BMW 1 series. Compare and see which one you think is the most fluid, aesthetically pleasing and sporty design. FYI, the Mazda 3 retails at around INR 16 Lakhs, and the BMW 1 series is above 30 lakhs (I don't know the exact price). Here is an Indian made car that has an interior layout that's so strikingly similar to benchmark global brand products. Yes, the Mazda 3 is a sedan but that's immaterial- I liked the HUD when I saw it and it is one of the best mid-size sedans I've been in.
Let us get a bit realistic about features. An airbag costs around 10k. 4 more would add about 50 k including the integration cost. A sunroof would be around 90 k. Cruise control, a better audio setup (not sure why people are complaining- the Harman unit in the Zest is better than the one I heard in an A Class Merc- but still let me include it) would be around 20 k more. More gizmos like TPMS etc another 10 k. That's 2 lakhs over the current price.
How many people would pay 2 lakhs for these features? That's more than 30 percent of the (predicted) cost of the base variant. I'm sure if the market survey team at Tata Motors found a good demand for these products, they'd have included it. However, given the fact that Tata products have a price constraint, they might have avoided it. The Ecosport has a 4 star rating and the Nexon might be able to manage that. The Zest did. The Aspire, despite it being cited as a benchmark of safety below INR 10 Lakhs, managed 3 stars. The Creta got 4 stars. To the best of my knowledge, the S-Cross got 5 stars in the ASEAN NCAP, and that's equivalent to 4 stars in the Global NCAP. I would stand corrected if that's not the case.

Sorry for being a little OT, but why is leather still so fascinating for some people? I've personally stopped using leather products. The Government in India has also been trying to reduce illegal production of the material. From what I understand, an animal has to die for leather to be produced. I find that a bit sad, especially when good quality synthetic substitutes are being used all over the world. Leather wears well, but synthetic substitutes will be even better. The steering looks like it is made from a soft material that's nice to hold.

There might be members who'd say that I'm a fanboy. Nope. I got my first gen Nano in 2014. I sold that and got a new Nano twist in 2015. I did explore other small cars below 4 Lakhs, but the value being offered was not very convincing. I've suffered due to Tata in the past- the first gen Nano had issues. But the new Nano was (and is) a complete delight. Given the fact that the company could make such an economy grade product so pleasing for daily use, I'm sure they'd put up a good show with the new products.
Nissan1180 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 06:19   #1318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Sorry for being a little OT, but why is leather still so fascinating for some people? I've personally stopped using leather products. The Government in India has also been trying to reduce illegal production of the material. From what I understand, an animal has to die for leather to be produced. I find that a bit sad, especially when good quality synthetic substitutes are being used all over the world. Leather wears well, but synthetic substitutes will be even better. The steering looks like it is made from a soft material that's nice to hold.
Offtopic post:
I agree with most of what you have said including the use or fascination for leather. One small correction is that, no animal is killed for the sake of leather. The skin of a dead animal is used. It's part of a cycle from our dependence on milk to agriculture to food. So, as long as there's demand for milk, this will be an ongoing process.

Quote:
And, for the petrols:

Power to weight ratio:

Honda WR-V - 80.4 HP /ton.
Tata Nexon - 89 HP /ton.
Ford Ecosport 1.5L - 92 HP /ton.
Ford EcoSport 1.0L - 98 HP /ton.

Torque to weight ratio:

Honda WR-V - 99.6 Nm /ton.
Ford Ecosport 1.5L - 117 Nm /ton
Ford EcoSport 1.0L - 135 Nm/ton.
Tata Nexon - 137.4 Nm /ton.

The petrol seems to be up there with the rest of them, almost at the top! Very impressive. And I see no one has commented about how it has to shed weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
I don't think that they will stop producing Zest/bolt which brings consistent 2500+ orders. In fact what I'm anticipating is they might come up with the midlife facelift of Zest in order to maintain pace with the competition.
The higher sales is because both the Bolt and the Zest are now available to the taxi market. I have a strong intuition that Tata will still spring a surprise on us. Maybe, retain the two siblings for the taxi market, and enthuse us with something new.

Last edited by discoverwild : 26th July 2017 at 06:30. Reason: Multi quotes.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 06:33   #1319
BHPian

I find it a bit surprising to see people "wishing" Tata included a better audio system, when they are already offering a class leading 8-speaker set up from Harman. I think we should keep our expectations realistic here and end this extreme nit-picking. Which other car offers an audio system remotely close to this one from even a segment above? Even the overpriced Creta, which sells like hot cake, doesn't come with an 8 speaker set-up, let alone the overall audio quality. The Hexa could manage one due to various factors like pricing, and also the size of the vehicle. When you are talking about a sub-4 meter vehicle, every centimeter counts. When you have an audio system that is going to keep 95% of your consumers happy, is it worth the effort to try and satisfy an audiophile, who anyways would most probably buying another brand after praising the audio in the Nexon?

Tata has to play the pricing card here. There is no other way, and with a lot of guns pointed at them, Nexon looks to be a really good product with all the basics in place. Wearable key a waste? 8-speaker system not adequate? Yeah, we have all the other cars till the 20 lakhs range without any of these features, so happy shopping to you.
jayded is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 06:35   #1320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
the new Nano was (and is) a complete delight. Given the fact that the company could make such an economy grade product so pleasing for daily use, I'm sure they'd put up a good show with the new products.
With a top trim Nano from late 2013, that has essentially the same interiors as the present one except for the new steering wheel and no power steering, AMT or boot, I prefer my car to Nanos with these features, and it still looks close to new. For my use it is perfect, and I have no desire to upgrade for another 4 years. Concorde service at Baner, Pune is also excellent, though sometimes I have to throw a tantrum to get what I want.

The challenge for Tata is to meet the higher expectations from the higher price points and it looks like they are getting there now.

My one question is availability of the auto box, and one concern is how slick the AMT is for city driving; even small but often seen jerks in gear changes can be a put off. And what I have read in Nano reviews of its AMT hasn't inspired me to think of an upgrade; for the distances and traffic I face, manual is still very manageable while people seem to have to change driving styles with the AMT. But for a car at the Nexon price point, a slick auto box is essential and it has to work as well as the competition, like Jazz/Baleno with their CVTs that seem to be excellent with no learning adjustment needed other than a lighter foot on the accelerator.

One doesn't know if the AMT will be reviewed in the rash of reviews that will soon be seen for the car; only a review and test drive can say more on this point.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed