Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2017, 07:04   #1321
Sac
BHPian

All lined up and looking all good. (Source: Twitter)
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1501032844241.jpg  

Sac is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 07:11   #1322
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Add the meaty 1237 kgs into the mix, and we might see another 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol which is slow off the blocks but comes into it's own post 2000RPM onwards.
Why is Tata offering the 3 cylinder Revotron in the Nexon when they have a 4 cylinder engine that already does duty in the Bolt and the Zest ?
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 07:12   #1323
Sac
BHPian

And again (Source: Twitter)
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1501033325414.jpg  

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1501033336227.jpg  

Sac is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 07:29   #1324
Distinguished - BHPian

Here are more,

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-2.jpg

Simulating a washing machine in the boot?
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 07:38   #1325
Sac
BHPian

Does that make it a 7 seater ?
Sac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 08:12   #1326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac View Post
All lined up and looking all good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here are more,

Attachment 1660605
Since the day Tata disclosed the engine specs, I'm stalking this car on a daily basis but I'm yet to see it in a different colour (other than these two) in the production guise. I've transitioned from being a fence sitter to almost a Tata convert in a span of one week, more so after yesterday and I was hoping to see the Nexon in all available colours today at the media drive. But by lining up only the reds and blues, Tata has disappointed me a big time. Lost opportunity to display all the colours in their full glory? Why Tata, why?
Old 26th July 2017, 08:54   #1327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnilswap View Post
Since the day Tata disclosed the engine specs, I'm stalking this car on a daily basis but I'm yet to see it in a different colour (other than these two) in the production guise. I've transitioned from being a fence sitter to almost a Tata convert in a span of one week, more so after yesterday and I was hoping to see the Nexon in all available colours today at the media drive. But by lining up only the reds and blues, Tata has disappointed me a big time. Lost opportunity to display all the colours in their full glory? Why Tata, why?
I believe normally media drive happens with a particular colour which the the company intends to use for marketing. In this case, it is blue and red. We also know from spy shots that there will be orange and white. The other must be Grey or some metallic Silver. Just hold on till few more days for the official launch. I, for one, looking forward to the Nexon more than I did for Hexa or Tigor.
arunramaswamy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 09:16   #1328
BHPian

My wife called me to say that our 10 yr old petrol swift felt a bit odd to drive. Sounds like an ignition coil might need to be replaced but my first reaction was: "Have you heard of the Tata Nexon?"
From what I can tell it would probably be a worthy successor to my swift.

Last edited by Roy.S : 26th July 2017 at 09:20.
Roy.S is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 09:21   #1329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Why is Tata offering the 3 cylinder Revotron in the Nexon when they have a 4 cylinder engine that already does duty in the Bolt and the Zest ?
The 4-cylinder Revotron engine in Bolt/Zest is made of cast-iron and is heavy (also it has a puny turbocharger). My hypothesis is that this engine was meant only for the older Vista (X2?) platform which itself was front-heavy and meant as a stop-gap arrangement until the next generation of all-aluminum Revotron engines such as the ones in Tiago/Tigor (newer & lighter platform) were ready for series production.
The engine in Nexon seems to be same aluminum 3-cylinder unit from Tiago/Tigor with a turbocharger unit.
Old 26th July 2017, 09:23   #1330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
My wife called me to say that our 10 yr old petrol swift felt a bit odd to drive. My first reaction: "Have you heard of the Tata Nexon?"
From what I can tell it would probably be a worthy successor to my swift.
Tried a similar stunt at home yesterday, and got back - "After all these years, why do they still design it like an Indica!"

Thankfully, she is a hardcore cat lover and TATA has 3 cats as design motifs in there - for me to use as leverage. Based on that, its been agreed that we will decide the fate post a testdrive.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 09:43   #1331
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Tried a similar stunt at home yesterday, and got back - "After all these years, why do they still design it like an Indica!"

Thankfully, she is a hardcore cat lover and TATA has 3 cats as design motifs in there - for me to use as leverage. Based on that, its been agreed that we will decide the fate post a testdrive.
OT. Simply slap Audi logo by removing TATA ones. You know what I meant

This is surely nothing but a bolstered Vista/Bolt. I wonder why they were testing so much except for the new engines. Unless priced in the Zest Range or slight higher this is going no where. Interiors may be very good, exteriors funky but hiding the Vista from the Nexon is almost impossible.
nkrishnap is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 10:23   #1332
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors is in the process of developing 6-speed AMT versions of the Nexon, according to Dr. Tim Leverton, chief technology officer.

He also clarified that the Nexon automatic will be launched before the end of the current financial year, hinting at a Feb-Mar 2018 release.

Quote:
As of now, it is unclear as to which engine will get the auto-shifting gearbox. But, considering the fact that the petrol and the diesel engines share the same TA6300 gearbox, it’s possible that Tata will offer a two-pedal variant with either motor.

The Nexon automatic will be launched “before the end of this FY”, which means it could possibly make an appearance at the 2018 Auto Expo.
Zigwheels

A lovely shot from the media drive, courtesy Kartikeya Singhee:

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-dfov2bhxsaeoryg.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 26th July 2017 at 10:45. Reason: added one lovely shot from the media drive.
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 10:23   #1333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
OT. Simply slap Audi logo by removing TATA ones. You know what I meant

This is surely nothing but a bolstered Vista/Bolt. I wonder why they were testing so much except for the new engines. Unless priced in the Zest Range or slight higher this is going no where. Interiors may be very good, exteriors funky but hiding the Vista from the Nexon is almost impossible.
Now that's too sweeping a statement. The Nexon in no angle looks like a Vista or Bolt even remotely. The Impact design may carry a family resemblance between models but that is a design DNA manufacturers infuse for a corporate identity. Check the 3 previous generations of Mercs to see what i mean. I have friends who have a tough time identifying between the Verna and the Elantra from a distance. I bet that the Nexon is something which even those guys can easily make out in a distance compared to any other car on the road.

I understand that Tata bashing is a fad even without driving the car but then in my car crazy life of over two and half decades, this is the only instance i have come across in India where a manufacturer has steeled up the nerves to bring out a concept exactly on to the road as was displayed in an Auto show. And yes! i am looking at my financing options now after looking at the road legal car and the torque output of that diesel engine.
SAE40 in veins is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 10:44   #1334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
I've suffered due to Tata in the past- the first gen Nano had issues.
I agree with most of the points you made in your post and hence will not comment on those. But I want to highlight and comment on the part that I have extracted from the rest of the statements you made regarding the suffering you had from a first gen Nano. Isn't this a HUGE risk again for someone to be buying the First Gen Nexon?

To give a more recent example, I have had interactions with owners of the initial Tiago who do not seem to be happy and some have even sold their cars. Tata, like other products in the past improved the Tiago also over a period of 1 year thru various minor updates that were not passed onto the owners of the initial batch of Tiago. One example is the gear level shake and vibration which was very evident in the initial batch of Tiagos and was eliminated in the batch of Tiagos that were released towards the end of 2016.

I am not saying do not buy Tata, I am saying play the game knowing the pitfalls, do not become a Tester for a Tata Product at your expense.

My recommendation for potential Nexon buyers would be to stay put and jump in maybe after the product has been used in the market for a minimum of 6 months.
vsrivatsa is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th July 2017, 10:45   #1335
Senior - BHPian

The slide on boot space seems to have been missed. At 350L, it is on par with its peers.

From the picture, is the loading area is flat?

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-20280245_1246539438805858_8268325908546532307_o.jpg

Source

It's strange, there wasn't a single shot on the boot space and loading lip.

Quote:
Let us get a bit realistic about features.
I would be willing to pay the premium for the 4 additional airbags. If the way Elite i20's discontinuation and subsequent reintroduction of the 6 airbag Asta(O) variant is any indication, there are few other characters like me. For reference, Hyundai charges 90K premium between Asta and Asta(O) and Ford charges 1.3L premium from Titanium to Titanium+ on Ecosport.

I care less about the other features. Some of which can be very much retrofitted.

NOTE: Prices are based on Madras on-road prices.

Quote:
The Ecosport has a 4 star rating and the Nexon might be able to manage that.
The key factor would be how the body shell is rated. The 4 stars of Zest hides the fact that the body shell was rated unstable, both on the base and 2-airbag variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Isn't this a HUGE risk again for someone to be buying the First Gen Nexon?
There is a huge risk in buying any first generation vehicle that has a brand new engine. Not that its going to leave you stranded or anything. But you might not get the best of the package, for example: in terms of refinement or NVH of a new diesel engine.

However any first gen owner would have paid much less premium for a successful product than their subsequent buyers. Ecosport, XUV have all gone the same route.

Last edited by narayans80 : 26th July 2017 at 10:56.
narayans80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed