Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2017, 07:09   #1426
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
More than cool, I think it is necessary. Imagine leaving the panel exposed to heat filtering in from the dashboard, or heating of the cabin (when parked). The panel will then give up faster than if it is concealed like this when the vehicle is parked.
Condor - valid point - but don't some premium cars have such fixed HUs ?

For some reason there isn't any mention of how this retraction works. I feel that even if its a basic spring loaded retraction where the HU folds forward and slips parallel to the dashboard top it should be fine in this segment.

If it were to go down vertically with some dampening like in super premium cars - I will be pleasantly surprised. I would also worry about the longevity of such a set up and related negative publicity it could get the car in case this mechanism fails soon.

Last edited by narayan : 27th July 2017 at 07:15.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 07:13   #1427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
How cool is this very unique feature inside the Nexon?!
This is awesome. The interior has come out really stunning!

Here is Viddy checking out the display.
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-20225545_1419782401401474_7566083902679285760_n.jpg

And a video below of the sliding tambour door mechanism in the center console.

source
deetjohn is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 07:23   #1428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I would also worry about the longevity of such a set up and related negative publicity it could get the car in case this mechanism fails soon.
That is the first thing that came to mind; it will remain inside, stuck there. I can also see in my imagination the service tech using a screwdriver to lever it out from stuck inside mode.
It is the usual worry I have about Tata and Mahindra cars that are loaded with vendor sourced gizmos and gadgets, which is why I prefer my 2013 Nano that does not have power steering or AMT. The OE central locking that it does have, fails every six months. Just a blown fuse, but irritating. At the Nano price point, I can live with it.
I haven't found any review anywhere on Tata/Mahindra top end cars about the longevity/genuine usability driven value of the so many gadget that these cars are loaded with these days, where the instruction books can provide hours and hours of reading.
It probably makes more sense to get the lower trim versions of these cars, because the basic car is very robust and available very cheap in lower trim versions. The problem is when the lower trim does not have things like ABS and airbags, which are essential features these days and cannot be added on in the after market. Car makers are unscrupulous enough to use this to force the sale of higher trim versions, where in comparison, profit margins are astronomical because of the low cost of the many gizmos. Which is also then one reason for their early failure.

Last edited by Sawyer : 27th July 2017 at 07:25.
Sawyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 07:31   #1429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Condor - valid point - but don't some premium cars have such fixed HUs ?
How many premium cars are parked outside in the hot sun, regularly. (Parked unattended - not even with drivers sitting in them with door open). Nexon will be purchased by regular folks, many of us who have to often do this.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 07:45   #1430
BHPian

Quote:
For some reason there isn't any mention of how this retraction works. I feel that even if its a basic spring loaded retraction where the HU folds forward and slips parallel to the dashboard top it should be fine in this segment.
+1

Looking at the pic in the subsequent post, and looking at how the top of the display angles in at the back, am pretty sure, you will need to fold it forward and push it in (manually or auto) to retract it. Also a vertically retractable screen would run into the air-conditioning plumbing, as has been already pointed out. Should be a cool party trick, nevertheless.

But, with plethora of pics and videos coming up on Twitter, am surprised that this has not been shared (unless Tata Motors would have put an embargo on that as well).

Last edited by sachinayak : 27th July 2017 at 07:47.
Old 27th July 2017, 09:10   #1431
BHPian

The images suggest a rotary mechanism along the bottom edge indicating the touchscreen will lie flush with the dashboard surface and slide / fold out towards the driver. Some aftermarket HUs have had a similar mechanism (not saying "same" as we don't know how exactly this works). As long as they have thought about the stress points and bolstered them adequately (I am sure they would have), I don't think this should be a real cause for concern.

Last edited by spindoc : 27th July 2017 at 09:12.
Old 27th July 2017, 09:14   #1432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
How cool is this very unique feature inside the Nexon?
I have a feeling the tweet has been phrased incorrectly. We haven't seen any pic of the car without the head unit. If it indeed retracted, there would have been much noise about it in press conference. Maybe the tweet only intends to mean that the HU juts out of dash. No where it indicates that it also goes back in.
ksameer1234 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 09:18   #1433
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I will agree with ksameer1234 here. I think the HU will remain fixed, which itself is not bad IMO.

Another point I am missing and not clear is, whether the car comes up with DRLs or not. I remember seeing DRLs in one of the spyshots. But I can't find any mention of the same in last two days. May be I missed a pic/post.

Last edited by ottocycle : 27th July 2017 at 09:21.
Old 27th July 2017, 09:33   #1434
BHPian

Yes i agree. If the HU was retractable, TATA would have made one hell of a noise saying segment first / across segments first, First in Make in india. Since it is all quiet, i really doubt if it is retractable.

From what i see from the photo where vid666 is checking out the display there is no recess into which it can retract. The below area is for aircon vents. So it is highly unlikely. May be it can fold but it can never retract like a audi.

Can the reviewers give us a heads up info before posting a official review on this?

Last edited by drashkum : 27th July 2017 at 09:36.
Old 27th July 2017, 09:33   #1435
BHPian

Here, this puts to rest all the speculation. The tweet was interpreted incorrectly!

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-imageuploadedbyteambhp1501128230.540662.jpg
akhil994 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 09:34   #1436
Senior - BHPian

Even I think so. There is no other tweet/video/post about this feature. I kind of started liking red one. Blue one looks very flashy and red looks better.

Last edited by Latheesh : 27th July 2017 at 09:41.
Old 27th July 2017, 09:41   #1437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Here, this puts to rest all the speculation. The tweet was interpreted incorrectly!

Attachment 1661260
My only concern is now that since it juts out abruptly from middle it might be a bit of a blindspot for drivers who tend to drive with seating position further away and low from the dashboard.
Old 27th July 2017, 09:42   #1438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
I think this thread could really do without such rants and "facts of life" OEM procurement tips for a global giant like Tata. Expecting features from cars couple of segments above and that too offering them at "wholesale" price? It cannot get more ridiculous than this.
I think Jio is to blame for everything. Earlier bhpians used to actually drive a car and come to conclusion regarding that car. Now with unlimited data, everyone is just seeing pictures, videos and spec sheets of cars and coming to these conclusions without even seeing the car in flesh and expecting predatory pricing like Jio
Tigor has a 3 pot motor so it should be slow and priced way below Dzire, in spite of it being almost 1.5-2lakh cheaper. Compass has high level of localisation so it should be priced lower than even Creta. Nexon doesn't have any snob value because Tata makes taxi, in spite of Nexon having ICE with popup screen like Audi, activity band key like Jaguar. Dzire has snob value and sells like hotcake, in spite 22 of my last 29 Uber/Ola rides were Dzire. We predict Tiago, Tigor, Hexa will definitely fall apart in long-term in spite the cars are not even a year old. Everyone says Tata aftersales is bad without even owning a Tata ever and so on.
I have neither driven nor owned a Tata ever, so I search all these threads expecting to gain insights from people who have actually driven/owned one. Good/bad experiences of Tata owners are much more helpful than any hypothetical conclusion purely based on past.
Debajyoti is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 10:05   #1439
Senior - BHPian

The wristband key, shared on Twitter.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_6598.jpg  

AkMar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 10:12   #1440
BHPian

Day 2 of the media drive has begun. Reviews to be available from Saturday

Seems to have started with a rainy misty morning
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-6.jpg
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-3.jpg

All set for the drive
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1.jpg
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-2.jpg

DRLs in action
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-4.jpg

Where is the key hole? Seems to be covered
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-5.jpg

Cooled and backlit glovebox
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-7.jpg

Navigation in action using Android Auto
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-8.jpg

Source: Twitter

Last edited by damager21 : 27th July 2017 at 10:21.
damager21 is offline   (14) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed