Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2017, 13:52   #1471
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Nexon debut towards the September end means Tata might miss Dasara rush in southern states, especially in Telugu states. AP is a traditional strong base for Tata cars.
IMO, TATA should not take the risk of launching the vehicle by September end which is too late as media drives are already in progress. They should launch by August end i.e. for Ganesh Chaturdhi which is almost equal to a national festival.
Launch in September end generally results in deliveries by October end which is almost the end of the year 2017. Mass market does not like to take a new vehicle home at the end of the calendar year. This might effect the momentum of the sales.

Please do not give more time to Suzuki, Ford & Honda to act smart and launch an update to Brezza,Ecosport & WR-V by October.

Last edited by Hickstead : 27th July 2017 at 13:56.
Hickstead is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 13:52   #1472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Thanks to Jitender Shrivastava on Twitter for these.
Thanks for these. Front looks great in comparison, rear is overdone (gets highlighted on the red).

Why does it look shorter on the side angles? Dimensions wise its par with the competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Nexon to debut end of September
They should launch end of August/beginning of September at best.

Official booking starting in beginning of August, and you wait almost 2 months to even know the price? And a further month or more to get the car?
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 13:54   #1473
BHPian

Here's another picture from Twitter. Looking fab!

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexon_blue.jpg

Source
spindoc is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 14:12   #1474
Senior - BHPian

There is no point in holding media drives now and launch it in two months time.
simplyself is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 14:44   #1475
BHPian

Seeing the pictures, it sure looks like TATA has come up with a good quality product. However, the more I see the pictures the more worried I am with the positioning.

It's easy to see why Brezza, Ecosport and Creta sell inspite of their shortcomings - the SUV form factor; which the Nexon lacks. Wouldn't it be prudent then that Nexon be priced head on with i20 active? Can't Tata "price" it as a premium hatch/cross and leave the "positioning" to customer's imagination? Terming it an SUV may backfire IMO.

And there is no reason why Nexon cannot be priced along side i20 as the latter too offers good amount of features, quality inside and out, a good torquey diesel and similar size in terms of external dimensions.
octane_100 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 14:46   #1476
BHPian

This is what happens when you push the launch forward just because you wanted to take advantage of people's interest in Nexon. I sincerely hope they were able to complete all their testing as per plan. Maruti can afford to launch ill tested product. Not Tata. Without any traction with respect to Nexon for a month, I believe people will even start forgetting about Nexon. If Maruti or Ford manages to launch Brezza or Ecosport facelifts in between, I think Tata has got even bigger mountain to climb.
arunramaswamy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 14:51   #1477
BHPian

A pic from Twitter, comparing the Nexon with the Bolt.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_20170727_144916.jpg

Source

A video showing the wearable key in action. Looks cool!
https://twitter.com/rushlane/status/890502042938036224

Last edited by spindoc : 27th July 2017 at 14:53.
spindoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 14:53   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
One of the most confusing designs from the TATA stable after the Aria.

I'm pretty much willing to bet this one will be a flop - considering the competition it has against the Maruti Vitara Brezza and the Ford Ecosport.
Too early to judge weren't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunramaswamy View Post
Maruti can afford to launch ill tested product.
What gave the impression the last few pages that this is an ill tested vehicle?
Old 27th July 2017, 14:54   #1479
BHPian

I still don't see any controls for automatic headlamps and wipers. I don't think they are offered in the Nexon sadly!
Old 27th July 2017, 14:57   #1480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post

What gave the impression the last few pages that this is an ill tested vehicle?
I think my comments have been taken out of context. In case if there were to be any issues with the initial batch, even if it is not major, it will be blamed on hurriedly launching the vehicle. I am not saying it is not completely tested. But it is a possibility that it could be blamed on it.
Old 27th July 2017, 15:01   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
I think my comments have been taken out of context. In case if there were to be any issues with the initial batch, even if it is not major, it will be blamed on hurriedly launching the vehicle. I am not saying it is not completely tested. But it is a possibility that it could be blamed on it.
It has been tested for over 1.7 million kilometers. So how is it not completely tested I don't know. The Hexa clocked in 8 lakh kms of testing, while this is more than double that.

The reason to launch in September end is, IMO, due to the fact that they want to make sure they have enough cars for the festive season and the initial momentum is not lost due to waiting periods.
akhil994 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 15:01   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
hurriedly launching the vehicle
One of the previous posts had said that Nexon had been tested for 1.7 million kms and in temperatures ranging -20 to +50 degree C. I don't know if this is not enough.
Old 27th July 2017, 15:09   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
One of the previous posts had said that Nexon had been tested for 1.7 million kms and in temperatures ranging -20 to +50 degree C. I don't know if this is not enough.
Quite honestly I will pick up a Nexon over Brezza any day of the week and twice on each day of the weekend. However when it comes to mass market, the thinking itself is different. Why would Hexa struggle against XUV/Crysta or Tigor struggling against a Dzire and Xcent. I can even forgive XUV because it has got some tech going for it. But against Crysta? Really?? That is why I want Nexon to be perfect right from the beginning. Because for a Crysta, it does not matter even if it breaks down in the middle of the road. However Tata does not have that luxury.

But 2 months time gap from media unveiling to launch is little bit of stretch for me. People will start losing interest. With other facelifts from competition just around the corner, I think Nexon will fade away from people's mind.
arunramaswamy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 15:25   #1484
Senior - BHPian

The ceramic section on the rear is a welcome break from all the gaudy chrome that we see all around. How well would it hold the colour in all the pollution or it is another task for the 3m studios on an ongoing basis?

It does seem like Tata is trying to outdo Jeep in delaying the launch after the media drives. Or perhaps conducting the media drive is so exhausting that they need a lot of time to recover!
selfdrive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th July 2017, 15:30   #1485
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Too early to judge weren't we?
I'm humbled that you referred this post. Took me a long time to find out where it was posted. And it's here, posted back on 3rd February 2016.

The seem to indicate that I was forced to swallow my words. Think again, because this is what I feel now, posted here

Quote:
I'm not liking the blue. Cant help but feel it's overdone Bolt. Too many elements trying to catch attention - The pop colour, Chrome, white ceramic inserts! The Geneva edition Red looked much better.
And this here

Quote:
I don't think TATA calls the Nexon as an "SUV" either. But anyways, all of these products try to steal the same pie of the market. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I would prefer more sedate WRV over the Nexon in terms of (only) looks (Red looks much better than the Blue though). But it's Nexon all the way in terms of interior design, probable quality (seen in pics) and engines (on paper atleast).
Jokes apart, the only thing that changed between then and now is that I might buy this vehicle, if the rumour about the diesel engine being a monster turns out to be true. And as clearly mentioned here, my interest in the Nexon is purely due to the diesel engine (rumours).

But that doesn't negate the fact that I feel the Nexon is totally handicapped when it comes to capturing the mass segment sales. The looks are just not to mass market tastes, not to mention that the common man still sees a big resemblance to Indica in the Nexon. (Not bashing, reference to related conversation here)

What remains to be seen is the pricing. I'm hoping for a starting price of around 6L, at which point I believe they might sell around 2 - 2.5k units per month. Price it at 7 -11L as ACI predicted, it will sink without a trace. And the 5.5k units a month target that TATA has set? Now that's

Disclaimer - I totally acknowledge the advantages in Nexon including the best in class quality, interiors, the excellent music system, build quality, (probable) best in class engines etc. The above predictions are just my opinion on future sales, which might / might not turn out to be true. BHP'ians and readers are requested to use their own discretion.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th July 2017 at 15:48.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed