Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2017, 00:14   #1531
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Looks like everyone's now going live with their reviews disregarding any embargos.

Here's Car India's review

And features overview video of rushlane

ETAuto's review is also out

Last edited by aman9393 : 28th July 2017 at 00:41. Reason: Added ETAuto's review link.
Old 28th July 2017, 00:14   #1532
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI's video review by Renuka.

RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 00:19   #1533
BHPian

Truly poor quality of work by Overdrive.

Comparing the petrol engine to the Zest? Seriously? The reviewer doesn't even know basic arithmetic? Doesn't know 3(cyl engine of Nexon) ≠4 (cyl engine of Zest)?

Favour or no favour, bias or not, the least they could do is get the facts right. It's not that hard, isn't it?
antz.bin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 00:32   #1534
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Diesel!!! Almost finalized as my next car

Quote:
By the way this Kerala, not Italy. That Nexon is on the wrong side
Quote:

That real parcel tray is continuously moving vertically. Potential rattle from that area cannot be ruled out

Last edited by myavu : 28th July 2017 at 00:49.
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 00:50   #1535
BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm.. I stopped watching when she said the drive mode button was too big. She goes on to say that it seems it was so big as though it was built for some larger function, but it's "just" a drive mode selector. Looks like they did it all in an hour.

Last edited by ampere : 28th July 2017 at 07:51. Reason: Removed video link from quoted post
prakash_ajp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 02:32   #1536
BHPian

First impressions by Motown India.

Looks like everyone is rushing into the review. So we have no option but to wait for Team-BHP and Powerdrift for an actual review.. not some half-baked stuff some of these guys are presenting to attract page views!
nerd1200 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 03:20   #1537
BHPian

This thread has been in a frenzy the likes of which I haven't ever seen before ! Embargo was needed here more!

Such excitement for a home-grown well-built car worth driving for the sake of driving ... and some want to pull it down. Do the people who raise apprehensions about price, volume, quality, etc. of this exciting car ... also raise apprehensions about build quality, suspension, thigh support, weak engine, plastics, maintainence costs, etc. of popular cars? Why don't we stick to talking about the car ? No offense, I appreciate that we still have only valid points being discussed.

6 forward gears is a big plus for a driver's car; I miss it even on low-geared motorbikes. I guess not many people have used a 6-speed manual. How are they in actual use? I imagine it can take a little care to pull it left-and-back for 6th, without pulling too much & end up at the reverse cog?

Also, if you look at the ratios:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4240303
the petrol 1st gear is shorter than the reverse gear!
yatin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 04:30   #1538
Senior - BHPian

Apart from ACI, rest of the reviews on the diesel seem positive. Overdrive wasn't worth a look. Wafer thin seats? Oh please!

Here's Carwale's review on the diesel:

Quote:
Thanks to the surplus of power, the Nexon moves off the block with ease and drivability is its biggest strength. Power delivery is pretty seamless and you can barely feel the turbo kicking in. There´s a gentle surge at around 1600rpm, followed by a strong push all the way to its 4500rpm redline. You get three drive modes and in any given ECU map, the Nexon has enough grunt for most conditions. Although, in Eco mode responses are subdued, it offers enough go, especially encountering low speed traffic. In City or in Power mode, the Nexon really shines and on first impressions, the Nexon definitely felt more responsive and faster than the Vitara Brezza or the Ford EcoSport. The Nexon cruises well too and the strong mid-range makes overtaking easy. The good drivability also means you don´t have to constantly work the gearbox to make quick progress, which is a good thing as the gearshifts are a bit notchy and the clutch is on the heavier side. Refinement of this diesel motor is quite impressive and Tata engineers have done a really good job with this diesel motor.
narayans80 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 04:46   #1539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing this review, and even though Renuka's reviews continue to underwhelm, ACI's videographer(s) continue to do a very good job. They had some fit related quibbles, and it made me jot down my thoughts and annotate these screenshots.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-screen-shot-20170727-5.48.44-pm.png
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-screen-shot-20170727-6.21.23-pm.png

In a one-off show car (e.g., the Auto Expo version) it is easy to get consistent shut lines. It'll be trickier to get the pieces next to the bonnet line up consistently (especially with the bonnet being a moving part). Same with the plastic pieces on the A-pillar if the white and black parts are separately manufactured and then glued and fitted together. There are similar smaller pieces near the C-pillar/roof where keeping tight tolerances during assembly will be tricky. The white strip running along the sides and continuing into the Y-shaped strip in the back (with the Tata logo) adds contrast to the design, but it also highlights misalignments.

None of these are even remotely close to deal breakers, and most people won't even notice; but we are an automotive forum, and if the 100-odd pages are anything to go by, we are a finicky bunch .

I'll be eagerly waiting for the Team-Bhp review for this product. Tata Motors has clearly taken a bold bet, and I for one, wish them well.

Last edited by Amartya : 28th July 2017 at 04:53.
Amartya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 05:12   #1540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatin View Post

Such excitement for a home-grown well-built car worth driving for the sake of driving ... and some want to pull it down. Do the people who raise apprehensions about price, volume, quality, etc. of this exciting car ... also raise apprehensions about build quality, suspension, thigh support, weak engine, plastics, maintainence costs, etc. of popular cars? Why don't we stick to talking about the car ? No offense, I appreciate that we still have only valid points being discussed.
The key word is home grown I believe. As pointed out earlier, many would accept a 15 lakh rupee vehicle without an audio system because it was made by another company.
So much for helping the country. Each component developed in India is a boon for our small and medium scale industries. Designing is the key process here. If it is designed somewhere else and made in India, very little technology transfer happens. But that is not something we care about, right? Social status is more important.

The Overdrive review is so bad that I wonder if they fired all their editors to save costs. It seems like he does not know the product, does not want to know its positioning and tries to use all his journalistic might to make perceived opinions look like facts, but he does not succeed.

The Autocar review is very positive, and after a long time the reviewer looked pleased about a Tata product. The only complaint she had was about the Diesel performance, but to be honest, this is something you can learn about only if you drive it yourself. Except Team-Bhp, no other portal can assess the engine performance objectively.

I am asking this again though I raised it a couple of pages ago, is there going to be a CNG option?
Nissan1180 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 06:17   #1541
Senior - BHPian

You can see two Jeep Compass test cars in Autocar video. Watch it between 6.30-6.40 to spot the same.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 06:41   #1542
Senior - BHPian

Renuka Kripalani actually makes me laugh.
"It's just a drive mode selector".
"The Eco mode is underwhelming".
"The City mode is not exciting".
She calculated the 0-100 in 13.xx on her watch? Surprisingly, she found the clutch light and the engine underpowered, while the Carwale's reviewer found the clutch to be heavy and the engine surging ahead. She also mentioned 100 kph at 2300 rpm, which I think is wrong. On the 6th gear, I expect it to be lower.

The 6-speed is definitely a boon. I'm constantly hunting for it on the Vista when on the highway.
discoverwild is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 06:56   #1543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
She also mentioned 100 kph at 2300 rpm, which I think is wrong. On the 6th gear, I expect it to be lower.

The 6-speed is definitely a boon. I'm constantly hunting for it on the Vista when on the highway.
It is under 2000rpm per previous comments. Both 5th and 6th gears are over drives. Maybe the reviewer forgot there is a 6th gear?

Seriously though, waiting for a proper review of those engines.
Old 28th July 2017, 07:08   #1544
Senior - BHPian

The Rushlane feature walk through video was nice. Renuka's review was above average. While she nitpicked on a few things like the shut lines where multiple surfaces meet or the large size of the drive mode button, she was balanced in her views otherwise.

The car looks absolutely fab and if I had been in India ( and I would have still had my Bolt ) - I might have been tempted to trade in the Bolt for the Nexon top variant ( another financial harakiri ).

I am curious about the Tiger embossing in the car that was mentioned in both reviews. What is that about ?
narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 07:10   #1545
BHPian

This is proof enough that autocar itself is a spoof. They are highly commercial and give biased reviews to manufacturers who probably pay them extra or has some vested interest in ACI. Their annual jury award is another joke where they give an award each and every participating manufacturer. I sincerely request everyone not to take these reviews seriously if you are looking for a proper unbiased review. Nothing can beat self taken test drive and a personal inspection. Team BHP review should be used as a guideline.
arunramaswamy is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed