Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2017, 14:58   #1591
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
Funny stuff! Well I do see the overall shape and design language of the Bolt (which in turn is a similar to Vista) in the Nexon too.
Nothing wrong with my eyes or attitude.

Autoportal review too mentions the same.

While it is not just a Bolt on steroids, it does share some structural design elements overall. In fact it is very evident from the front three-quarters and side view, in my opinion.

So if you are not able to spot it, good for you. If others do spot it and mention it, that is fair too.

What is not fine is "Getting personal" and that attitude needs to be checked.
His words were in no sense personal. It is the same as statements like "People have agenda against TATA" or that "People do not accept criticism against TATA"

That was a general statement.

But yes the narrative of the whole thread is constant TATA bashing. The Swift, Dzire (previous gen) , Ertiga and even the Baleno had the same look, but that was never criticized this much.

And those similarities were far more striking than any non existent similarities being made out here. Apart from the sloping windshield angle, nothing is similar.

If people say that the grill is similar, then of course it has to be, it is a design language of the brand. Like you see for Audis or Mercs or even VW for that matter of fact.

The fact of the matter is that the public is so prejudiced against TATA, that they want to justify not going for the brand by saying "It looks like X model from before" even if does not hold true. And this is because that the perception is so ingrained in the mentality, that it has become a herd.

The market leader can shell out tin cans one after the other, the plastics maybe hard, scratchy, ill fitting ( the Dzire rear ac panel, is still ill fitting and not rectified) but the public will lap it up and if they term their products as premium and price it accordingly, the people accept it as gospel.

In such kind of monopoly, the good products get killed. And that is not just for TATA, but even for say Fiat. Why would we as an automotive forum not appreciate things without prejudice? Or has that mentality started to overshadow our enthusiasm for well engineered automobiles?

Food for thought!

Last edited by akhil994 : 28th July 2017 at 14:59.
akhil994 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 14:58   #1592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Attachment 1661726

Autocar 2017 edition has the Nexon as its highlight and is reportedly already on the stands. So, they are allowed a media preview, earlier than others?
Excerpt from ACI site which answers your query:
Quote:
Tata’s Maruti Vitara Brezza rival is all set to hit showrooms soon. We got hold of one before anyone else to tell you what this radical looking SUV is all about
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 15:00   #1593
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Most trackwear do not come with pockets.
Even if they do, it's easy for a key to fall out of the track pants and a wearable makes a lot of sense. It's a brilliant feature for sure, and being the first of its kind - there is no room for complaint.

Perhaps, for the future facelift they can consider launching with time display as well, as that could mean it would substitute a watch as well - for users who would need to wear it along with one now.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 15:01   #1594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Autocar 2017 edition has the Nexon as its highlight and is reportedly already on the stands. So, they are allowed a media preview, earlier than others?
Hormazd has had excellent personal relationships with all levels in TML for twenty years now, so that is perhaps earned. There is give and take in every aspect of life, every where, and not all of it has a monetary side attached to it.
Sawyer is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 15:13   #1595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Frankly, I've been unable to grasp this logic of a wristband to serve the purpose of keyless entry. I own a Swift Zdi with the keyless entry function built into the keyfob itself. Personally, carrying the keyfob in my pocket has never really been an issue. Infact for outdoor activities, watching out for my wristwatch is a much greater concern in real life, than bothering with the keyfob in pocket. Now, this separate wristband after the euphoria, will only add additional concern for an extra embellishment on the body!
The wrist band feature is borrowed from Jaguar. Now, the wristband used by Jaguar is water-proof and can be worn while involved in outdoor activities (watersports, hiking, jogging, etc). In all the above scenarios, there's always the risk of losing your keys (I have that phobia) but a much lesser chance of losing the wristband.

If Nexon has a similar waterproof band, then it is going to be a real boon for people like me. For example: I hold my car keys in my hand if and when I go jogging. Similarly, I keep checking my pockets for the keys every few minutes when I visiting the sea beach or similar remote place.

I hope you get my point.

Last edited by ashis89 : 28th July 2017 at 15:16. Reason: Spell check
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 15:20   #1596
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Overdrive ( refer SVP's comment)and Autocar India are known to be preferred auto journals of Tata Motors!

Nexon was given to ACI prior to launch,hence many reports came out earlier on Nexon in bits and pieces as Scoops!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 15:21   #1597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Had a Nexon experience on my way to the Cochin Int Airport this morning. There was this Red Nexon bring driven quite fast towards the same direction.

Turns out to be the HT automotive writer reviewing the car (and probably picking someone from the airport). He shared some info at the signal and thereafter kept reasonable pace with my Yeti all the way to the airport, even though I pushed the Yeti just to see how far he would drop back.

Pretty impressive pace for the diesel - it kept up with a remapped Yeti reasonably well. Also seemed not to be affected by a large pothole or fwo.

He says the petrol he drove yesterday had lag issues even though its good within its power band.

The Nexon really stands out in traffic. If you think it looks like an Indica/Vista you need your eyes checked. Or your attitude.
A remapped Yeti will be 170bhp or so and if this can keep up with Yeti from standstill to XXX speed, its impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
The Rushlane feature walk through video was nice. Renuka's review was above average. While she nitpicked on a few things like the shut lines where multiple surfaces meet or the large size of the drive mode button, she was balanced in her views otherwise.

The car looks absolutely fab and if I had been in India ( and I would have still had my Bolt ) - I might have been tempted to trade in the Bolt for the Nexon top variant ( another financial harakiri ).

I am curious about the Tiger embossing in the car that was mentioned in both reviews. What is that about ?
Think Jeep has similar and I also remember seeing some graphics on the glass or so too.

Last edited by jkdas : 28th July 2017 at 15:28.
Old 28th July 2017, 15:21   #1598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
His words were in no sense personal. It is the same as statements like "People have agenda against TATA" or that "People do not accept criticism against TATA"
If you read it again, his statement said "If you think it looks like an Indica/Vista you need your eyes checked. Or your attitude."

If that is not personal, then Karan taking offence on Kangana saying "You support Nepotism", is not acceptable there are others who say "There is nepotism in Bollywood". Out of topic, but I can't explain it any clearer.

Quote:
The Swift, Dzire (previous gen) , Ertiga and even the Baleno had the same look, but that was never criticized this much.
People did mention it multiple times. In fact, I have even listed it as one of the negatives in my ownership review of the Baleno published a couple of weeks back. It is just that people took others opinions are didn't create a furore on that.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is that the public is so prejudiced against TATA, that they want to justify not going for the brand by saying "It looks like X model from before" even if does not hold true. And this is because that the perception is so ingrained in the mentality, that it has become a herd.
Food for thought - There are people who are prejudiced against things and in this case the brand 'Tata', but not all those who are able to see similarities between 2 specific models are prejudiced.

Funny thing is no one is accusing TATA of copying the design of another manufacturer (which happens many a times with Maruti), but it is about them using their existing design language to create a new product. Hence similarities will definitely be noticed and there is nothing wrong in that.

So if you want my opinion, I feel that there are folks who like Nexon, but don't like Bolt and its association with taxi market and those folks take offence when others opine that they do find similarities between these two models. Now whether this is "general" or "personal" is up to how people interpret it.

Last edited by dheepak10 : 28th July 2017 at 15:25.
dheepak10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 15:22   #1599
Senior - BHPian

Just out of Curiosity:

What happens when the battery/power source of the wrist band runs out? How will the driver open/start the car (in case he doesn't carry the actual physical key)?

Also would have loved if the band had a digital display with watch function inbuilt as well. Maybe Tata can tie with with a watch company for that.

Old 28th July 2017, 15:23   #1600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Frankly, I've been unable to grasp this logic of a wristband to serve the purpose of keyless entry. I own a Swift Zdi with the keyless entry function built into the keyfob itself. Personally, carrying the keyfob in my pocket has never really been an issue. Infact for outdoor activities, watching out for my wristwatch is a much greater concern in real life, than bothering with the keyfob in pocket. Now, this separate wristband after the euphoria, will only add additional concern for an extra embellishment on the body!
While I understand not everyone may feel the need for it, I appreciate the fact that they are making an attempt to introduce something really new to the market. The purpose is clear - it is for when you don't want the burden of carrying the key fob. This could be when you go out partying, to a concert / stadium, for a swim / run etc. Of course, if you find it super convenient, you could stick to this full time.

This should ideally be waterproof (it is), comfortable for extended wear and offer easy strap replacement.

Who knows, if it catches on, we may see other manufacturers incorporating this (or other innovative solutions) too!

Last edited by spindoc : 28th July 2017 at 15:30. Reason: Activity key confirmed waterproof
Old 28th July 2017, 15:25   #1601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Just out of Curiosity:

What happens when the battery/power source of the wrist band runs out? How will the driver open/start the car (in case he doesn't carry the actual physical key)?

Also would have loved if the band had a digital display with watch function inbuilt as well. Maybe Tata can tie with with a watch company for that.
Perhaps thats the reason why they went with a NFC based wristband rather than a watch which will need to be charged more often.

Regarding your second quote - Titan "the watch company" is a Tata-owned company.
sachinayak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 15:29   #1602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Just out of Curiosity:

Should be similar experience like when the battery of our key fobs/remotes run out. I remember reading somewhere that it is some RFID tag or something and the wrist band in Jaguar doesn't need battery.
Quote:
They already have Titan.

Edit: The queries are already answered by sachinayak.

Last edited by ashis89 : 28th July 2017 at 15:30.
Old 28th July 2017, 15:31   #1603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Perhaps thats the reason why they went with a NFC based wristband rather than a watch which will need to be charged more often.

Regarding your second quote - Titan "the watch company" is a Tata-owned company.
Titan, yes another Tata Company.

I do not have an idea of charging requirements with NFC tech. Therefore the query. Does NFC tech require charging? If it does typically how long does a charge lasts.

Personally I love the Idea of a Band replacing the traditional Key. Its brilliant if it performs without any hiccup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Should be similar experience like when the battery of our key fobs/remotes run out. I remember reading somewhere that it is some RFID tag or something and the wrist band in Jaguar doesn't need battery.
If the Band requires no battery than its probably the BEST Solution ever. Apart from the hassles of carrying around there would now be no Tension of losing/misplacing the Keys..!!

Last edited by payeng : 28th July 2017 at 15:36.
Old 28th July 2017, 15:32   #1604
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
We had subtle preferences and people with known biases before, but it has never been as unashamedly and so obviously blatant as it is right here. Personal subjectivity is a given within any group of individuals, but not what looks like an almost agenda-driven bias that is so apparent that it cannot be ignored.
First it was BHP'ians with an agenda against TATA.

Quote:
This is proof enough that autocar itself is a spoof.
Quote:
Screw all these jornos.
Quote:
Looks like some reviewers took money from competitors before heading to review Nexon
Then there were media persons with an agenda against TATA.

Quote:
I was sharing the pics of Nexon with a couple of my relatives and some said "this has the typical Indica look" - I was like "What?".
Quote:
not so
can someone post photoshopped pics of nexon with Hyundai, Suzuki, Honda, etc badges so that we can show those pics to our friends & family to gauge their opinions for nexon.
Friends and family has an agenda against TATA too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Why would we as an automotive forum not appreciate things without prejudice? Or has that mentality started to overshadow our enthusiasm for well engineered automobiles?

Food for thought!
Food for thought above.

The whole world doesn't have an agenda against Nexon. Like any other good or great product, it has its own positives and negatives, and true to the forum standards - both are being discussed in detail. Eventual success of the product will depend on all of these and it will not succeed simply if everyone sings praises. Noticed the trend where the TATA products gain huge popularity in polls, but don't sell?

The same happens across brands. So as long as the discussions are rational and maintains a basic forum decorum, would please request members to refrain from heated personal comments, and contest the arguments with their own counter - arguments, if any instead.

A posts that asks people with a different opinion to get their eyes or attitude checked, gets 35 likes with a couple of hours. Not really the spirit of discussion on the forum IMO. Let's discuss more on the product rather than each other, and if it's truly worth it - it will emerge on top alright.

And in my personal opinion, even TATA stands to gain (in terms of product acceptance and sales) if we keep the feedback unbiased with both opinions flowing. Positives and negatives, with constructive points for either side. Pretty sure they'll be keeping track as well.

PS -

I've intentionally removed all the names from the other qouted posts. All of these are from the last 10 pages, and can be cross verified by any.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th July 2017 at 15:46.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 15:38   #1605
BHPian

Just had a thought, how the Nexon would have looked with sharper headlights.

Pardon my photo shopping skills.(Unedited Image courtesy-Zig Wheels)
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonzigwheels_mg_3267-copy.jpg  

Last edited by Car Architect : 28th July 2017 at 15:44.
Car Architect is offline   (15) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks