Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2017, 18:40   #1636
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Overdrive's comparative specs of Nexon with its peers!

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexonvsvitarabrezzavsecosportspeccomparo.jpg
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 18:40   #1637
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
This should give a better dimension-wise perspective between the two arch rivals:
Any clue from your sources when the test drives would start? Will it be post launch, or would they be conducting "Experience" events as with the Hexa?
Old 28th July 2017, 18:54   #1638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya79india View Post
Plausible.

But how many will be affected by the above situations? Infact Situation 1 is the only true exception (faced this at Ujjain Mahakaleshwar).
Just last month, I was in such a situation when we went to a water falls. There was no safety lockers and couldn't leave anyone behind to look after thing. In the end, put the key in a plastic pouch and sealed it and put in the pocket. Not so cool, is it?
prakash_ajp is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 19:19   #1639
BHPian

NFC tech for unlocking the car is genius approach IMHO.
NFC tech has 2 components 1. NFC Reader and 2.NFC tag.
The reader needs power to read the instruction set in tag. Tag is programmable and a passive chip, you can get a set of 3 to 5 tags at the cost of 300 to 500 INR. Its a contact based technology and the tag has to come in contact with the door unlock reader. Like discussed in the forum here, this cannot be the only way to unlock and I think tata will throw in a regular key fob as well. That being said if the wrist band only has NFC tag, then it cannot track any physical activity like wrist bands/ smart watches.
Hope this information helps clarify a few points
v6kgang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 19:40   #1640
BHPian

Did you all notice the panel inside the rear view mirror on the right how the whole panel shakes when he moves it in the zigwheels video review at 7:10 min of the video. I am hoping it will be better on the ones that hit the road. This is the section I am telling about :
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1501250982295.jpg  

satish_tns is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 19:43   #1641
Senior - BHPian

While watching the Autocar review, I guess I saw JEEP Compass test mule. Nexon looks to be quite comparable to the Compass (If it is indeed a Compass)!!
BTW I guess this is the same road where even Compass was reviewed by Autocar.. May be closer to the Ranjangaon plant.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-jeep.png

Last edited by neoonwheels : 28th July 2017 at 19:45.
neoonwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 19:48   #1642
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
But I would like to salute AutoCar India for not breaking the news and posting the review earlier like Overdrive.
Apparently, Autocar issue was on stands that very morning! So no prizes for guessing who broke the embargo first.
Coming back to the Nexon, i feel Tata Motors is missing a trick by launching the car at end of September which is 2 months away. They could have had this media drive in late August or early September.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 20:17   #1643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Apparently, Autocar issue was on stands that very morning! So no prizes for guessing who broke the embargo first.
No it wasn't, it was posted at dot 12 am which ethically translates to 28th July. Well I was awake and active on twitter so I saw.
Old 28th July 2017, 20:19   #1644
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
No it wasn't, it was posted at dot 12 am which ethically translates to 28th July. Well I was awake and active on twitter so I saw.
I'm not talking of the review on their website, but of the magazine which was apparently out on stands/bookstalls that very morning.
PPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 20:20   #1645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_tns View Post
Did you all notice the panel inside the rear view mirror on the right how the whole panel shakes when he moves it in the zigwheels video review at 7:10 min of the video. I am hoping it will be better on the ones that hit the road. This is the section I am telling about :
EEEEEEWWWW !! If this is how a car delivered for gathering the "first impression" is put together, I am not really sure it will be any better in production models. Not a pleasant sight at all.
Old 28th July 2017, 20:36   #1646
BHPian

The wide variation between the reviews about the various features and attributes of Nexon emphasizes the very basic fact why we love this forum to bits. Not just the official Team-BHP Review but we get to actually read unbiased actual ownership reviews.

I cannot wait to get my hands on a test drive of Nexon because 110hp, 260Nm and 6 speed transmission is something i want to personally experience. What i find funny is that Autocar talks about lack of top-end power when Tata have given the 6 speed transmission so that there is a gear available for any type of driving scenario be it spirited, laid back or in stop and go traffic and 3 drive modes which actually make a difference as to how the engine responds to throttle inputs.

You cannot have everything in a turbocharged engine especially a mass market where you can have have lusty top end along with a stonking mid-range and excellent bottom end grunt together. It is always a compromise and looks like Tata have concentrated on the bottom end tractability and strong mid range and have gone on to offer a six speed transmission to counter the lack of grunt over 4k rpm.

Tata definitely have to improve the fit and finish by a significant margin as loose bits coming off a brand new vehicle is simply unacceptable however the actual launch is a couple of months away and there is time for Tata to fix the fit and finish issues.

The sad reality of Indian automotive scene is that the so called reviewers only compare the 0-100 sprint times to the Brezza which is not the most important attribute conveniently overlooking the incessant turbo lag the Brezza is plagued with. Anyone who has driven the 90hp variant of the 1.3l DDIS engine will know how the engine is practically dead below 1800rpm. Also it is noisy even at expressway cruising speeds.

Also the plastic bits and the ambience of Brezza is similar to what is offered from a segment lower Marutis. Yes Brezza is a very good product and without being that it would not be setting sales chart on fire consistently but what it needs is serious competition. The Nexon is an excellent attempt from Tata and has the main ingredients like the engine, gearbox, performance, space, ride and handling covered. It is the fit and finish issues plus a few ergonomic transgressions which Tata have to improve on.

If Tata solve these fit and finish issues before launch, get the pricing right and provide the prospective customer with good sales and service experience Nexon will be successful.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 28th July 2017 at 20:40.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 20:49   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post

Tata definitely have to improve the fit and finish by a significant margin as loose bits coming off a brand new vehicle is simply unacceptable however the actual launch is a couple of months away and there is time for Tata to fix the fit and finish issues.

If Tata solve these fit and finish issues before launch, get the pricing right and provide the prospective customer with good sales and service experience Nexon will be successful.
Tata has been teasing this vehicle for years now. Do you expect them to fix something now in two months that they did not do all these years ? At least they should have checked all this before handing over the car for review.

Now this is what thousands of people who watch the video will see. As such, people are apprehensive about Tata cars. They will close the video and go straight to a Suzuki showroom and get a Brezza after watching that part where he shows that it shakes. Believe me, it is this basic fit and finish that Tata needs to address before they add more features to the car. All these features are good. Even the engine seems decent and refined from what the reviewers say. No one is even talking about "notchy gearbox". So I am guessing that even that part is covered by Tata. But a brand new car with loose and shaking interior (one component or a lot of components does not matter) is something that is not acceptable in 2017. We are not living in the Ambassador and Padmini era anymore.
Old 28th July 2017, 21:11   #1648
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Believe me, it is this basic fit and finish that Tata needs to address before they add more features to the car.

Something interesting at 1:45 where the reviewer taps the centre console and says good build quality - but you can actually see the panel move lightly and produce a hollow sound. Could end up a source of rattles there.

That said, as I mentioned earlier as well. I absolutely love the finish of that plastic and it looks as shiny as a well detailed painted metal body. And the launch being two months away, I'm hopefull they might make all these required corrections before launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6kgang View Post
Like discussed in the forum here, this cannot be the only way to unlock and I think tata will throw in a regular key fob as well.
Both regular key as well as the wearable one shown in the above review. So full marks to TATA there.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-screenshot_2017072821083465.png

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 28th July 2017 at 21:14.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 21:22   #1649
Senior - BHPian

Can we have an embargo here until the Team-BHP review is out, please?
discoverwild is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 21:28   #1650
BHPian

Personally I wouldn't read too much into that one loose panel. In his review, he found two things worthy of complaining: one, that shaky panel and two, the USB port not being reachable. The second can easily be dismissed as trivial, because, it is a car and not a home and not every damn storage/utility can be easily accessible. Besides, it is the other end of the USB cable (to hook into your mobile) that you often look for.

In a perfect world, we would have not had that loose panel, but no big deal. I won't even be surprised if somebody checking out the car either naughtily or with rough hands ended up breaking it.

At the end of the day, it is the reviewers' job to point out good as well as flaws. Same goes for the wannabe experts on forums like this too. However, anyone seriously thinking of buying a car should find Nexon a very attractive package. Let's hope Tata are third time lucky. I am saying lucky because they have done all they could and now it is up to the market to respond.
prakash_ajp is online now   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed