Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2017, 09:21   #1681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
There are audio warnings in case the handbrake is engaged, doors are open when diving.. nice touches

Skip to 8:00 for that feature
Ala New gen Scorpio!

I feel it's more gimmicky than functional. In Scorpio also, it will pause the music to provide such audio warnings which becomes a bit bothersome after some time.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th July 2017 at 11:03. Reason: Removing Youtube URL from the quoted post.
Old 29th July 2017, 10:00   #1682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Ala New gen Scorpio!

I feel it's more gimmicky than functional. In Scorpio also, it will pause the music to provide such audio warnings which becomes a bit bothersome after some time.
You mean when you continue to drive with handbrake on or door/boot is open?
prakash_ajp is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 10:03   #1683
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Another good review which focuses on the tech used in Tata Nexon. Few excerpts from the article

About the floating display
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1.jpeg
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-2.jpeg
Quote:
The biggest addition to this new system, along with the bigger display size, are Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. While CarPlay will be released for the system in the coming days, Android Auto is already enabled. Alongside, you get Tata's updated ConnectNext suite of smartphone apps to use if Android Auto is not really your thing. The ConnectNext apps are also finally coming to iOS, which should make the appeal of this infotainment system more universal.

Moving on, the display now gets a floating design akin to the way Mercedes-Benz and Audi have put their displays in cars. It does not retract into a recess, but the design itself looks significantly more upmarket and practical than the previous, central column-mounted one. The Nexon gets a new, 6.5-inch display with screen resolution of 800x480 pixels and 140ppi pixel density, which is richer than before. Tata states that the upgrade was enforced to make the system eligible to support Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, and now meet the graphic and screen size requirements. While it is indeed richer than before, it is not very sharp or hi-res, and the display does look a tad bit lacking in fidelity.
About the audio system
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-6.jpeg
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-5.jpeg
Quote:
The Tata Nexon gets eight Harman-built speakers, along with four amplifiers of 25W RMS each. Despite the impressive configuration inside the rather well-insulated cabin, the sound itself is not boomingly loud. The audio itself is on the flatter side by default, and you will need to work the equaliser manually to get a respectable balance of the frequency range. One impressive bit here is that the factor of audio distortion at high playback volumes is not there, which makes the overall music sound quite clean. It is not the loudest, but the audio quality itself is fairly commendable.
Bottomline
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-4.jpeg
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-3.jpeg
Quote:
The Tata Nexon is a mighty impressive effort in our books. It looks different from everything else on the road, makes heads turn, rides and handles really well, and has a lot of features and storage space to aid practicality. You get automatic climate control, Android Auto (and Apple CarPlay soon), better interior quality, a good steering wheel, and almost everything that makes for a good car. There is, of course, room for improvement - the steering wheel itself could have been bigger, some of the lines on the outside feel disjointed, a few elements inside still feel a bit commonplace, and the engine itself is not very peppy for enthusiastic drivers. However, not until you nitpick that you come across these elements.
Source: Digit
damager21 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 10:46   #1684
Team-BHP Support

A screen resolution of 800x480 for a 6.5inch screen pixels qualifies as an HD Display?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 10:53   #1685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
...as an HD Display?
No, how come? it should be 720p (1280 x 720) to be HD display. But at 6.5 inch and closely packed pixels the quality of the display might be commendable
myavu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 10:57   #1686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are audio warnings in case the handbrake is engaged, doors are open when diving.. nice touches

Skip to 8:00 for that feature
Handbrake warning is present in our City also. I consider this to be a great feature as I have been guilty of not pressing hand brake fully down a couple of times in hurry. Great to see few useful features are getting discovered on a constant basis. I simply love this car, be it looks, features, interiors, everything is so desirable.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th July 2017 at 11:02. Reason: Removing Youtube URL from the quoted post.
Old 29th July 2017, 11:02   #1687
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Handbrake warning is present in our City also.
Is it an audible warning like a beep from the instrumen cluster?

All cars equipped with the handbrake do have a warning light on the cluster but not audible warnings.
Old 29th July 2017, 11:35   #1688
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
No, how come?
Exactly! That's my doubt. But just wanted to cross check as I'm not all that tech savvy (Love Car audio though!)

They clearly call it an HD display -

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-untitled.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 12:09   #1689
BHPian

I have been silently following this thread for some time now and in fact I am among the lot who have seen this vehicle during its testing. Now, there are three schools of thought.
1. Nexon is identical to Indica/ Bolt.
2. It shares the platform with other cars and there are similarities (not identical).
3. Nexon is a fresh product and does not look like other Tata products.
Personally speaking I belong to the second school, additionally I can vouch for the fact that the car has solid road presence. Irrespective of the fact that which school you belong to Tata has created a hype everywhere, and IMO not many products have enjoyed this hype in recent past. Their job is half done(hype), now onus is on TML to price the car aggressively, have better QC and time the launch. They have worked hard for this product, the same should reflect in sales numbers.
itsmb is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 12:35   #1690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Had a Nexon experience on my way to the Cochin Int Airport this morning. There was this Red Nexon bring driven quite fast towards the same direction.

Turns out to be the HT automotive writer reviewing the car (and probably picking someone from the airport). He shared some info at the signal and thereafter kept reasonable pace with my Yeti all the way to the airport, even though I pushed the Yeti just to see how far he would drop back.

Pretty impressive pace for the diesel - it kept up with a remapped Yeti reasonably well. Also seemed not to be affected by a large pothole or fwo.

He says the petrol he drove yesterday had lag issues even though its good within its power band.

The Nexon really stands out in traffic. If you think it looks like an Indica/Vista you need your eyes checked. Or your attitude.
Hi... I think I missed you by a day. I was testing the Nexon on 27th in Cochin.

The diesel is pretty good. The petrol just sort of drags itself. The design is definitely a subjective matter. Initially it seems too flashy...quite unlike a Tata, but interesting. The interior seems very impressive. They have filled it up with nooks and crannies. They even have a specific spot to fit an umbrella! Not sure how many will end up using it though! From the outside, due to the use of a lot of gray cladding on the top, visually it seems smaller than the Ecosport but inside it has loads of space. I am 6 foot tall and with the front seat pulled back maximum, I had space to comfortably fit my palm between my knee and the front seat.

Overall I feel the car has the potential to kickstart a Tata wave. If it had any other logo, people would have lapped it up. From what I could gauge from the Tata officials, they are going to come up with a very compelling price point. But something that I have noticed with Tata cars is that the price difference between their entry level and top model is much higher than other brands. I think they are aiming at starting at 6.50. I feel it should be from 6.25-8.75... even if it's an introductory pricing.
HariGovindNair is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 13:35   #1691
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

All cars equipped with the handbrake do have a warning light on the cluster but not audible warnings.
Yes, it's a loud constant audible beep. It's even louder than the seat belt warning beep which comes at a 2-3 second delay.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 13:38   #1692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HariGovindNair View Post
Hi... I think I missed you by a day. I was testing the Nexon on 27th in Cochin.

Overall I feel the car has the potential to kickstart a Tata wave. If it had any other logo, people would have lapped it up.
Hari - would've been good to meet up. I was in COK and met up with some of the others who had come down for the media drive but completely overlooked the fact that you would be there too. I didn't bother coming to the Marriott as I avoid gate crashing a media event - may have run into you if I had, but would've been tempted to tag along for the ride even as a camera car

Your inputs are welcome - either in person or here on the forum.

I cannot comment on the performance, suspension or other dynamic elements, but the vehicle is fresh and visually very different from anything TML have brought out so far - inside as well as outside.

Until the Nexon TML have been chastised for their conservative design and lack of drama on their products. I like how they've turned that opinion on its head - this one really stands out with all those design elements, which are somehow funky yet elegant without the overdose of chrome and loud design that is usually the standard operating procedure for other brands trying to appear 'trendy'.

Will it work? I don't know - perhaps the market prefers garish chrome, fake scoops and Chinese accessory fittings instead? I like the treatment, though the vehicle is clearly not aimed at my demographic and it isn't something I would buy.

I think it is targeted towards a younger, aspirational crowd that is also more exposed to contemporary vehicle design, and will therefore appreciate a vehicle that stands out without being LOUD. If they are successful at it they will have matured as a car 'marketer' - we already know they have matured as a 'manufacturer' from their recent releases.
Steeroid is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 15:23   #1693
BHPian

The Nexon looks the part of a compact SUV from this angle.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexon.jpg  

Blur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 16:06   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for sharing the Motown review. I felt this one to be a fairly detailed ~20min video covering almost all details of the vehicle. Also covered are new ways to the showcase the vehicle capabilities e.g. by showing actual luggage in the boot, seating 4 people in the car in comfort, time-lapse of the short drive to show lack of in-cabin bumps etc.
I am sure that the TeamBHP review is going to delight us while covering the "The Smaller yet Significant Things: in the upcoming review.

Coming to Nexon, My God! Design, Features, Performance, Build quality aside, I am quite impressed by the fantastic attention to detail the vehicle carries. It is these small things which the owner discovers each day and adds to the feel good factor.

Hope competitive prices are announced by 15th August and we can all celebrate the coming of age of our 'Indian' manufacturing talent

Other that the very artistic references to Tigers covered earlier, some great functional details captured in the Motown video

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexon-dead-pedal.jpg
Scooped up space near the dead pedal to accommodate your left leg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nfc-charging.jpg
Is this NFC charging for the Key? or place to accommodate the keys when the 'ActivityBand' is worn by the occupant

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexon-gully.jpg
It has been mentioned that the space ahead of the gear lever is fidgety to access. What if you drop your micro pen-drive there! no problem a dedicated gully to fish it out from the side.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-air-vent.jpg
Cool air to the legs via these designer air vents!

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-hand-hold.jpg
Simple and effective solution to avoid bumping your head on the grab handles. Mount them on the roof!

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-aero.jpg
XL sized aero dams for those wide wheels, also warns some sleeping puppy before you start moving your vehicle

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nkkep.jpg
recess on the door handle to place the request sensor. Just look at that bumper extension flowing out to the front and would be a great splash guard

Leaving the rest of the findings to when i actually get to see the vehicle personally. All the Best TATA NEXON!

Last edited by Moto$apien : 29th July 2017 at 16:10. Reason: removed additional link to video
Moto$apien is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 16:21   #1695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post

in the video, Nexon politey tells you to "Please release the handbrake!"
Closed Thread

Most Viewed