Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2017, 17:05   #1756
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blur View Post
What I was hinting at was, if Jeep has priced the Compass starting 15, imagine what would be the pricing of the upcoming Renegade.
Sub 4 meter Compact SUVs (Ecosport, Brezza, Nexon, WR-V) will hardly be affected by the Renegade. Renegade is 4.2 m long and has engine options of 1.4 petrol, 1.6 petrol and 2.0 diesel elsewhere. Moreover the boxy looks isn't everyone's cup of tea.

None of which will qualify them for any tax benifits which the sub-4m cars will. If at all, the likes of Creta, Duster should be worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
If we consider the case of TATA pricing NEXON very bad, it won't be more than 11 Lakh Ex-Showroom for XZ+ variant.
Even 11L ex-showroom is dead on arrival, they can't even price at 11L OTR to be honest.

Remember that Ecosport facelift is coming, and Tata is actually competing against a discounted pre-facelift Ecosport in terms of pricing.
narayans80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 17:08   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post

Even 11L ex-showroom is dead on arrival, they can't even price at 11L OTR to be honest.
Exactly. Hence I have mentioned 11 L as bad pricing for Nexon. But I guess XZ+ diesel will touch 11L OTR (In southern states) as it was fully loaded.
TATA should announce pricing at least in August, but reports suggest that it will be by end of September.

Last edited by Hickstead : 31st July 2017 at 17:15.
Old 31st July 2017, 20:31   #1758
BHPian

Am I the only one who sees some similarity between Brezza's front grill and Nexon's X-factor design ?

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-df46y5lvoaarnai.jpg
Udit is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 20:46   #1759
Senior - BHPian

Zest 90 D engine spins at 2000 rpm at 80 kmph, 2500 rpm at 100 kmph. Etios diesel, a 1400 cc, spins at lower speeds at same kmph. There is almost 150 cc difference between both the engines.

More importantly, with higher among of torque at lower rpm, normally, higher is the vehicle speed.

Tata might have bench marked the 90 ps QJD for their new, for now Nexon specific, engine. My guess is, rpm at 100 kmph will be lower than the 2500 rpm of the QJD. Having said that, the heavier vehicle weight might impact the pick-up but not to that extent as to blunt the bigger, more powerful engine advantage. Also, the presence of sixth gear suggests torque is available at comparatively lower engine speeds. Possibly same with speed too, relative to rpm.

All this is guess work and can only be gauged after a proper test drive.
Old 31st July 2017, 21:13   #1760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
Zest 90 D engine spins at 2000 rpm at 80 kmph, 2500 rpm at 100 kmph. Etios diesel, a 1400 cc, spins at lower speeds at same kmph. There is almost 150 cc difference between both the engines.

More importantly, with higher among of torque at lower rpm, normally, higher is the vehicle speed.

Tata might have bench marked the 90 ps QJD for their new, for now Nexon specific, engine. My guess is, rpm at 100 kmph will be lower than the 2500 rpm of the QJD. Having said that, the heavier vehicle weight might impact the pick-up but not to that extent as to blunt the bigger, more powerful engine advantage. Also, the presence of sixth gear suggests torque is available at comparatively lower engine speeds. Possibly same with speed too, relative to rpm.

All this is guess work and can only be gauged after a proper test drive.
According to my understanding, the weight of the vehicle also plays an important role in the rpm to speed relation. This is apart from the power and torque produced by the engine.
Now, consider that an engine producing the same power and torque is mated to cars with different weight. The heavier car would definitely require more force to get moving than the lighter one. Here, the gear ratios come into picture. The bigger 1st gear would be in a position to get the heavier car moving with the same force, but, at a higher RPM.

I might be wrong, please correct me if so.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 21:23   #1761
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
According to my understanding, the weight of the vehicle also plays an important role in the rpm to speed relation. This is apart from the power and torque produced by the engine.
Now, consider that an engine producing the same power and torque is mated to cars with different weight. The heavier car would definitely require more force to get moving than the lighter one. Here, the gear ratios come into picture. The bigger 1st gear would be in a position to get the heavier car moving with the same force, but, at a higher RPM.

+1

The heavier the car, either the vehicle needs bigger engine or shorter ratios to make do with the smaller engine. Etios being almost 200 odd kgs lighter than zest, Toyota can surely use taller ratios and the slightly bigger displacement engine helps in higher low end torque. This would certainly mean you can spin the engine a lot lesser for the same speed.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 06:53   #1762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wrong. Weight does not play any part. The only part it plays is whether the engine can sustain that gear ratio at the speed.

Quote:
Heavier weight is not going to change the gear ratio is it? Else it would not be a ratio which by definition is constant irrespective.
Old 1st August 2017, 13:00   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Wrong. Weight does not play any part. The only part it plays is whether the engine can sustain that gear ratio at the speed.
Weight, along with torque and power plays an important part when a suitable gearbox is designed for a particular vehicle. If the same engine is used in two vehicles of different weights, the lighter one will be equipped with a gear box which has taller gear ratios and hence will achieve higher speeds in lower rpms.

Quote:
Heavier weight is not going to change the gear ratio is it? Else it would not be a ratio which by definition is constant irrespective.
Heavier weight is not going to change the gear ratio by itself, but the designer will certainly adopt the more suitable gear ratio according to the weight of vehicle while designing the gearbox. So I guess iamahunter is talking about the role of weight while designing a gearbox rather than the effect of weight on an existing gearbox.
Udit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 15:27   #1764
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udit View Post
Weight, along with torque and power plays an important part when a suitable gearbox is designed for a particular vehicle. If the same engine is used in two vehicles of different weights, the lighter one will be equipped with a gear box which has taller gear ratios and hence will achieve higher speeds in lower rpms.

Heavier weight is not going to change the gear ratio by itself, but the designer will certainly adopt the more suitable gear ratio according to the weight of vehicle while designing the gearbox. So I guess iamahunter is talking about the role of weight while designing a gearbox rather than the effect of weight on an existing gearbox.
Since manufacturers don't want to tinker with the gearbox (which may be used across multiple vehicles), what they do is that they tinker the primary reduction ratio from engine to transmission.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 4th August 2017 at 11:47. Reason: Trimmed quoted post for better readability
Old 1st August 2017, 20:18   #1765
Team-BHP Support

Looks like Ford is planning to gate crash into TATA's party. Ford Ecosport facelift to be revealed on September 15th.

It will bridge the feature gap there is with the Nexon. Some of the features missing in the Ecosport is compared to the Nexon such as DRLs, projector headlamps etc will be covered in the facelift. Also rumoured to get an 8 inch touchscreen infotainment system.

https://www.carwale.com/news/breakin...ptember-30327/

Hope TATA has this one covered in their sights as well! Since Nexon is anyways coming only in September, better to wait it out and watch the upgrade from Ford and then decide on the pricing for the all important Nexon.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st August 2017 at 20:22.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 21:00   #1766
Distinguished - BHPian

Official website is now updated:- https://nexon.tatamotors.com/

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-1.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-2.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-3.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-4.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-5.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-6.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-7.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-8.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 1st August 2017, 21:53   #1767
BHPian

The site looks good so far. I wonder when they'd declare the variants.
While prices may be a bit far away, I really hope they have finalized the variants. No matter what the Ecosport is going to offer, Ford cannot offer the value proposition that Tata can- we have to remember that a part of their revenue will be streamed abroad as royalty.
Hopefully, the Nexon will set the benchmark for all cars below Rs. 10 Lakh. It looks fantastic and I hope it can outperform the Ecosport and Brezza in the areas that they excel at. Even if it can wade through water better than other cars and offer a ride that's better than the Ciaz, with comparable fuel efficiency, I think the Nexon will make people visit Tata showrooms.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 1st August 2017 at 21:57.
Old 1st August 2017, 22:38   #1768
BHPian

Surprising why they didn't dedicate a section to that smart key/band on the official website yet. It is a standout feature and definitely needs to be advertised!
Old 2nd August 2017, 10:09   #1769
BHPian

After going through all the info available about Nexon, it really seems to be the product to buy in that segment if priced sensibly which in my opinion should be 20% below Ecosport pricing at the introduction which can later climb upto 10 % below Ecosport after it gets stabilized in the market. Otherwise, i dont see why people would trust (no matter how good it seems from the reviews) the Tata product over the Ford, Maruti as Ecosport is a good proven product in itself.
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:21   #1770
BHPian

To answer the never-ending question of the Nexon's top speed and cruising speeds of the Petrol & Diesel versions, please see a small calculation made for theoretical max speeds and cruising speeds (with respective engine speeds in each gear) for both models.

I have taken the rev limit for Diesel to be 4500 rpm and the petrol to be 5500 rpm. I could be wrong, but these are conservative assumptions that I have taken for the calculations.

This calculation has been done based on the gear ratios and final drive ratios provided by Tata during the media launch event.

Hope this can put all speculation to rest.

Cheers & Safe Driving.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexon-diesel-100kmph.jpg  

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexon-diesel-top-speed.jpg  

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexon-petrol-100kmph.jpg  

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexon-petrol-top-speed.jpg  

Surya-TJet is offline   (14) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed