Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:54   #1771
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Now that's too much. 20% below Ecosport? Now some would say that TATA should give Nexon away for free but even then there won't be many takers as people think that TATA does black magic on their cars.

When it comes to the product we expect TATA should provide a car that excels in all the attributes from all the cars in it's segment and a segment above as well that too at a price which is 20% less than the competition.

If such are the are unjust expectations of the unhinged market then TATA may as well stop selling cars in India and focus on other markets.
fuelinmyveins is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:56   #1772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Official website is now updated:- https://nexon.tatamotors.com/
Attachment 1662864
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-featurebanner.png

Is it just me or does the GC look higher than usual in that picture?

See this front view image courtsey Zigwheels

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-tatanexonzigwheels_mg_3267_720x540.jpg

Edit: Agreed the camera angles are different that does make a difference, but the official website image does look it has gone through some "photochop".

Last edited by praful : 2nd August 2017 at 12:03.
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 11:57   #1773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Attachment 1663048

See this front view image courtsey Zigwheels

Attachment 1663047
It sure does. Just a camera trick though. You can also see how the height of the wind screen differs in the images.
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:01   #1774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetgds View Post
It sure does. Just a camera trick though. You can also see how the height of the wind screen differs in the images.
Its probably not camera trick. But most likely skills of graphic designers / photoshop skills that have been employed here.

Old 2nd August 2017, 12:34   #1775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
Now that's too much. 20% below Ecosport? Now some would say that TATA should give Nexon away for free but even then there won't be many takers as people think that TATA does black magic on their cars.
I won't worry too much about such comments. It doesn't make any sense mathematically. Now, assuming manufacturing costs are same for similar cars from two different manufacturers, if somebody is suggesting Tata undercut Ecosport by 20%, that would mean Ford is enjoying a profit margin significantly more than 20%, let's say 30%. Working backwards, a 8L ex-showroom price means a price of around 5L ex-factory. And if Ford is making 30% profit, then the cost of that car for Ford would be around 3.5L. Now that's as ridiculous as it gets, right? We are not even talking about marketing, research etc.

The only other thing that it could mean is, people expect Tata to sell at a loss. Why would they after they have put so much effort to come up with a brilliant product?
prakash_ajp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:43   #1776
BHPian

The camera angle is at work too: in the official image, the name Nexon is at the centre (well almost) whereas in the red car image the black bonnet line is. Also, the proximity of the subject from the camera also makes it appear like that, it's visible in the extent of the foreground in the Zigwheels image.
avingodb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 12:52   #1777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoelect View Post
Surprising why they didn't dedicate a section to that smart key/band on the official website yet. It is a standout feature and definitely needs to be advertised!
Very true ! That is actually the Number 1 high light in terms of features of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
The only other thing that it could mean is, people expect Tata to sell at a loss. Why would they after they have put so much effort to come up with a brilliant product?
+1

This sentiment is only there when it comes to Tata or Mahindra's.

Put the class leading car for comparison - If a Hyundai gives a car +5L they are fine. Suzuki can go with a basic car on the same range. But if Tata or Mahindra is selling something on par or superior to the top selling car in the category - it has to be prices 2L lower.

This holds true for even for entry level hatchbacks !
peterjim13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:12   #1778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Attachment 1663048
It is looking higher, but:
1) Taken from a lower angle, looking up-wards
2) Some/ / mild editing cannot be ruled out.
3) The focus of the pic looks to be to highlight the grille.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:22   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Even 11L ex-showroom is dead on arrival, they can't even price at 11L OTR to be honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickstead View Post
Exactly. Hence I have mentioned 11 L as bad pricing for Nexon.
Both brezza Z+ and ecosport titanium (not t+) are at around 12.xx lacs on road bangalore. So, could not understand how a price of 11 lacs for the nexon top-end can be termed as 'bad'.

If the market has an issue with the 'brand' or 'image' or 'quality', it would anyway get reflected in the sales numbers of the vehicle. But, expecting TATA to price nexon 20 - 30% lower than its segment counterparts when the vehicle seems to be on par with its competitors, would be wrong on our part.

Success or failure depends upon whether the customer is able to see 'value' in the product (as a whole, including ownership experience) at a given price point. As far as i can see from their recent launches, they are able to get the 'value' aspect right in the design and quality areas. Service quality / ownership experience, would be known with time.
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:34   #1780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
It is looking higher, but:
1) Taken from a lower angle, looking up-wards
2) Some/ / mild editing cannot be ruled out.
3) The focus of the pic looks to be to highlight the grille.
You're right. It's camera work coupled by some editing. I do this all the time, being a Photoshop enthusiast myself.
Also, this is similar to the images of the car interiors that manufacturers often put on their websites, where it seems like a small room rather than the inside of a car.
Old 2nd August 2017, 13:40   #1781
BHPian

Here's a video detailing the Nexon's in-car tech.

Old 2nd August 2017, 14:41   #1782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasi@8689 View Post
Both brezza Z+ and ecosport titanium (not t+) are at around 12.xx lacs on road bangalore. So, could not understand how a price of 11 lacs for the nexon top-end can be termed as 'bad'.
While I agree with the rest of your points, if we feature-wise compare the Zdi+ with Titanium, despite being a few thousands less the Ecosport does not seem VFM at all esp. when something useful like a Cruise control is missing let alone the much hyped 7-inch touch screen. So, IMHO Tata would never risk out-pricing the Brezza Zdi+ at least during the launch.

The USP of the Nexon still should be-
  • 1.5 Liter diesel engine with 6-speed gearbox.
  • Ride Quality.
  • Standard safety features on the base versions.
  • 8-Speaker Harman ICE on the top version, hope they retain the setup in mid-versions as well.

IMHO, any other non-safety related uncommon features are mostly the desires of a user and not really needs, some of which can be skipped for an aggressive price.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 2nd August 2017 at 14:43.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 14:47   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Nexon's infotainment screen looses HD in its description on official website.

Nothing to take away from this brilliant Infotainment system, but if I recall correctly somebody mentioning 800x480 as resolution, which anyways is not even 720p or HD. So, I guess TATA corrected themselves. This must clear further confusion.

Kudos to TATA for that awesome looking Dashboard and Grand Central console.

Last edited by varunswnt : 2nd August 2017 at 14:54.
varunswnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 14:47   #1784
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
[*]8-Speaker Harman ICE on the top version, hope they retain the setup in mid-versions as well.[/list]
Top variant gets a 4*25W system.

However, the mid and base variants might get a 4*20W system. Same pattern was earlier seen in the Zest as well.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2017, 15:15   #1785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
While I agree with the rest of your points, if we feature-wise compare the Zdi+ with Titanium, despite being a few thousands less the Ecosport does not seem VFM at all esp. when something useful like a Cruise control is missing let alone the much hyped 7-inch touch screen. So, IMHO Tata would never risk out-pricing the Brezza Zdi+ at least during the launch.
I didn't say that TATA should / should not out-price Brezza. I was responding to a comment that even a price that is a full lakh lesser than Brezza would be 'bad'.

VFM is a subjective thing - some may prefer a bigger engine, better build and dynamics to touch screen / cruise control. That's what i was referring to in my post - emphasis should be on creating overall value for the product and not just pricing it cheaper.
sasi@8689 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed