Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2017, 17:04   #1816
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
One thing I do not understand here is Tata's bringing in the so called new products without any clear differentiating factor except possibly the Tiago and to some extent the Hexa. What I am trying to say here is - can anyone tell me what is the advantage Nexon offers over something like Ertiga, which has an advantage of atleast accommodating 4 adults and 2 kids ( not to mention the Maruti herd mentality and apparent peace of mind )? The same mistake they did by launching Tigor without 4 cylinder engine. I as a customer may buy Ertiga instead of Nexon. The only killing differentiator would have been had Nexon came in with 4x4. Can anyone please help me understand. Also, dont tell me I need to buy this car for interiors or the Harman system . Is anyone listening at Tata Motors ?
There's nothing wrong in wanting to buy a 4x4 car. Obviously some people have the need or liking for it. But what I don't understand is, why are you adamant that it must be in the form of Nexon? So smitten by the looks, I suppose?

There are several cars that come with 4x4, including Tata's own Hexa. So, you should just look at the right place instead of wondering why one particular car doesn't offer everything under the sun. Just doesn't make sense.
prakash_ajp is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 18:41   #1817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
One thing I do not understand here is Tata's bringing in the so called new products without any clear differentiating factor except possibly the Tiago and to some extent the Hexa. What I am trying to say here is - can anyone tell me what is the advantage Nexon offers over something like Ertiga, which has an advantage of atleast accommodating 4 adults and 2 kids ( not to mention the Maruti herd mentality and apparent peace of mind )? The same mistake they did by launching Tigor without 4 cylinder engine. I as a customer may buy Ertiga instead of Nexon. The only killing differentiator would have been had Nexon came in with 4x4. Can anyone please help me understand. Also, dont tell me I need to buy this car for interiors or the Harman system . Is anyone listening at Tata Motors ?
Well, we have several points why one would buy the Nexon over Ertiga:
1) After launching after so many years still doesn't come with Automatic Climate Control.
2) Engines which are showing age now. Less power in Ertiga.
3) Looks, its hit or a miss. Sheet metal isn't quality inspiring.
4) In case of all seats up and 7 passengers on-board, no luggage space at all. One will have to install a after market roof rack.
5) Better handling and ride quality on Nexon
6) Only driver airbag is standard in Ertiga
7) Harman sourced Audio system is a gem, hear it to believe it.
8) Wouldn't want a people mover look (So many Ola and Uber Ertiga's) this is subjective.

Note: I own a Ertiga since 4 years, have driven the recently launched Nexon too ( Don't ask how, its a secret )
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 19:19   #1818
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Well, we have several points why one would buy the Nexon over Ertiga:

Note: I own a Ertiga since 4 years, have driven the recently launched Nexon too ( Don't ask how, its a secret )
And having driven the Nexon (I'm not asking how) what are your detailed impressions? It would be most interesting having our own Bhpian's views.
Old 3rd August 2017, 19:29   #1819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
have driven the recently launched Nexon too ( Don't ask how, its a secret )
The Sherlock Holmes inside me has woken up and connected the dots.
Tigor's official review might give some insights for starters

Coming back to the topic :
The ones who are going to buy an Ertiga over a sub 4m SUV are going to buy an Ertiga anyway (and vice-versa), so I dont see any point in debating if this car is to be preferred over Ertiga.

Technical reasons aside, why should Tata launch an expensive 4x4 Nexon when there are going to be a few takers ? If 4x4 were a rage, Ecosport and Vitara Brezza would have been launched in that avatar by now !

If anyone thinks such psuedo SUVs are of no use, he should try driving a low GC car in Alibag (or the entire Konkan strip) during monsoons.

Eagerly waiting for the official Nexon review !
NiInJa is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 09:09   #1820
Senior - BHPian

Here's an interview with Mr. Pareek. He talks about talking about the Nexon's and Tata's future in the Indian car market.

Amartya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 11:05   #1821
BHPian

Here is the thing about we Indians - we buy cars which our society and neighbours like and which we can show off - not what is practical (includes quality), economical and mechanically superior.
My Father in law had the following cars Gypsy, Gypsy II, TATA Sierra, FIAT Palio 1.8, Ford Fusion & now VW Vento.
His requirement had been power at tap of the accelerator, good mileage and diesel owing to the daily drive, high ground clearance and solid built
All of this cars have gone out of production and on a side note we are soon going to approach VW to help and sponsor us buy their rival company's car to keep them alive but the point is in the last 3 decades, he has always been spoken about the person who does not know what to buy (akka Maruti 800, Zen etc.) till about 5 years back when Power and SUV craze bit the people and they started becoming more aware.
Overnight he is appreciated for this choices back then.
His thoughts were clear and it reflected in his choice of cars.
How many of ours are ? Most of the millennial generation wakes up to buy a Honda City as if there is no other car in the market. Honda City was the defacto premium sedan in nineties but times have changed but sadly we have not (with due respect to Honda City and its owner's).

TATA's tryst with success will also come when our herd mentality changes. Their part is done by bringing in superior quality products - our part is still pending....
Cooltronics is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 11:40   #1822
Team-BHP Support

Not sure why Ertiga is being discussed over the last couple of pages.

Meanwhile, a very significant development which would be of concern to the Nexon- The Ecosport facelift coming on September 15th could get an 8 inch floating touchscreen head unit.

That's surely going to take some limelight away from one of the most discussed aspects of the Nexon.

Spied here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4246051
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 11:59   #1823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not sure why Ertiga is being discussed over the last couple of pages.

Meanwhile, a very significant development which would be of concern to the Nexon- The Ecosport facelift coming on September 15th could get an 8 inch floating touchscreen head unit.

That's surely going to take some limelight away from one of the most discussed aspects of the Nexon.

Spied here -
www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/186773-2017-ford-ecosport-facelift-caught-testing-india-10.html#post4246051
Not alluring to you specifically CD,

It speaks volumes about the maturity of the car buying public , when the most discussed aspect of a new launch is the size and design of infotainment screen , and the impeding launch of a rival with a "bigger screen " will hurt it .

I have seen in the recent past that we are enamored with our cars having "rain sensing wipers "while the tires may be the narrowest possible to get "better mileage " with no consideration of grip in wet conditions .

The sheet metal quality on the segment leader in this category is pathetic , but thousands every month still line up and pay a premium at times also.

It is not the manufacturers who are providing thinner metal and tyres which endanger lives , it is us who accept the same and still think of ourselves as winners .

My 2 cents , couldnt resist.
wbd8779 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 12:25   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
It speaks volumes about the maturity of the car buying public , when the most discussed aspect of a new launch is the size and design of infotainment screen , and the impeding launch of a rival with a "bigger screen " will hurt it .

It is not the manufacturers who are providing thinner metal and tyres which endanger lives , it is us who accept the same and still think of ourselves as winners .

People who buy cars in this price bracket in India have a conservative mindset. They'd try not to do anything that can hurt them later. A car is a very significant investment, and that's why they only trust what's already trusted. Nothing wrong with that, but it makes making new products for this segment immensely difficult. Given the economic situation in the country, I do not see this changing in the near future.

Dad was told that the Nexon might arrive at the Ahmedabad dealership in 2 weeks. He really likes the design, but the colors that were displayed at the media drive are a bit too eye-catching. He'd like to try something that's more neutral-like black or grey.
Old 4th August 2017, 12:41   #1825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
People who buy cars in this price bracket in India have a conservative mindset. They'd try not to do anything that can hurt them later. A car is a very significant investment, and that's why they only trust what's already trusted.
Very true. Tata hence are in chicken-egg situation. People don't buy them since they aren't on road and they aren't on road since people don't buy them.

However, Zest is finding favour in Tier 2, 3 towns with Government procurement. This means one can spot Zest far more in small towns.

Quote:
He'd like to try something that's more neutral-like black or grey.
While white colour has been spotted and hence is confirmed, there should also be a grey colour like Zest.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 13:28   #1826
Senior - BHPian

I couldn't help, but write this.

I see a lot of nit picking going around here. Every inch and mm of the Nexon is being scrutinized ruthlessly.

With 99% of us here not driven the car yet, there are a lot of judgments being thrown around.

From what I got from the various reviews from Auto Magazines and blogs, they are all positive, with only a few shortcomings being pointed out. But, some posts here read like as if they are hell bent on not acknowledging the fact that Tata can come up with something good.

First, they will go after the car. If they can't get enough faults with the car, they will go after the after-sales. If even that is not enough, they will go after the brand value.

A couple of years back, Tata decided to get up, dust off its trousers and started working towards a Tata 2.0.

Today, no more can we say that Tata has inferior cars, with dated designs, cheap interiors, unrefined engines, can we? Isn't that progress?

I have personal experience of purchase and after sales from Tata, Mahindra, Maruti, Nissan and Toyota. And at least in this part of the country, Tata is right up there in both the departments.

My experience with Nissan and Mahindra has been such, that I will never ever buy a car from them. A Tata? With no doubt, I will buy a Tata again.

The Nexon is one of the better looking cars, this side of 10 lakhs. See what Mahindra has done with the KUV, a tribute to the great almighty Pontiac Aztek.

I just can not understand, what pleasure is derived from bashing Tata in every thread.

If there is any manufacturer, which is trying the hardest to change its destiny, it is Tata. But, for many, that is not enough.

There are two kind of enthusiasts here. One, who would consider buying a Tata. The other, who consider it below their dignity to even sit in a Tata.

Let the first ones enjoy what they are getting. And, if you do not have anything constructive to say, keep surfing, there are many other threads on this forum. Don't bother clicking that 'Post Reply' button.

Last edited by ashutoshb : 4th August 2017 at 13:29. Reason: Corrected a typo.
ashutoshb is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 14:06   #1827
BHPian

Any idea if Tata is planning an automatic for Nexon?
Old 4th August 2017, 14:10   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetgds View Post
Any idea if Tata is planning an automatic for Nexon?
Yes. It will be in early 2018.
TATA is going to launch Nexon in AMT. But whether it will be on petrol or diesel is not yet confirmed.
Hickstead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 14:28   #1829
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Not alluring to you specifically CD,

Well, TATA certainly didn't think along the same lines. Two out of the five highlights of the launch were about the infotainment system. Third highlight was the sliding cover of the cup holders.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-untitled-1.jpg

Did you have a problem with them then? Sorry if I missed the post where you expressed it. Or is it an issue for you only when it's negative?

Either ways, the point was - One of the "class leading" features announced will mostly stand nullified by the time of the actual launch. Another one - the class leading engines could come under partial threat as well, since the Dragon 1.5 petrol with 120hp is almost confirmed for the Ecosport standard versions, below the the Ecoboost.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th August 2017 at 14:44.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 15:14   #1830
Senior - BHPian

New Nexon and updated Ecosport around the corner. Maruti sold 15243 units of Brezza last month! GST... what GST?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks