Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2017, 15:37   #1831
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

I had mentioned my contact details on the nexon website. Within a minute got a call thanking for my interest in the car. I was given the details of their nearest dealership and was told that i would get a call once the TD vehicle is available.

Good start TATA.
Dieselritzer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 16:05   #1832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Either ways, the point was - One of the "class leading" features announced will mostly stand nullified by the time of the actual launch. Another one - the class leading engines could come under partial threat as well, since the Dragon 1.5 petrol with 120hp is almost confirmed for the Ecosport standard versions, below the the Ecoboost.
Forgive me for saying this, but a 6 inch Chinese smartphone does not become better than a 5 inch Asus Zenfone by virtue of its screen size. A Harman derived infotainment system that is currently only available in D segment cars in India is unlikely to be surpassed by a 8 inch monitor on the dashboard that looks like it was fitted in a nice accesory shop. Let us be constructive in our criticism. If a customer thinks size matters more than quality, the Ecosport will be the default option in any case.

Also, do you really think that Ford will ever be able to provide a similar specification sheet at the same price as Tata? They cannot. When it comes to value for money, Tata is winning the game, and will continue to do so, even if we try to hope that it will not happen.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 4th August 2017 at 16:10.
Nissan1180 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 17:04   #1833
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Let us be constructive in our criticism.
The irony when reading this after the below -

Quote:
Forgive me for saying this, but a 6 inch Chinese smartphone does not become better than a 5 inch Asus Zenfone by virtue of its screen size. A Harman derived infotainment system that is currently only available in D segment cars in India is unlikely to be surpassed by a 8 inch monitor on the dashboard that looks like it was fitted in a nice accesory shop.
How constructive is it do dismiss one as a Chinese accessory? When the car is just spied on the road only once?

Anyways, I agree with you on the point of sound quality of the Nexon. However, the Ecosport facelift spotted seems to have a center speaker, which should mean that it has got some attention in the audio department as well. So I think constructive criticism is to park the audio quality topic till September, while acceting the fact that Nexon is brilliant in that department.

Quote:
Also, do you really think that Ford will ever be able to provide a similar specification sheet at the same price as Tata? They cannot. When it comes to value for money, Tata is winning the game, and will continue to do so, even if we try to hope that it will not happen.
Absolutely agree and I'm totally looking forward to it. I've been saying this earlier as well. It should and mostly will get a stunning price at launch. Products like these should give the market price correction and bring others also to realistic levels. I have a figure in mind as well posted several pages back. Let's see how close it gets.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 17:53   #1834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
It should and mostly will get a stunning price at launch.
While earlier some price predictions seemed outrageous, thinking over it, Tata may actually be able to surprise with the price. For one, the diesel engine is in-house so no royalties to Fiat. Also, since it is based on Tiago/Tigor diesel then development cost won't be staggering. Similarly for petrol engine, it is Tiago/Tigor one with turbocharger so not a new engine again.

With high level of part-sharing, common and in-house developed engines, one may very well be in for a surprise.

The only hitch is that Tiago/Tigor are made in Sanand while Nexon would be made in Ranjangaon (?) and hence not benefit from the tax benefits.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 18:06   #1835
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
While earlier some price predictions seemed outrageous, thinking over it, Tata may actually be able to surprise with the price.
It sounds outrageous when people say that it should start at 6L or that it should start 20% less. It sounds nice when people say that TATA will offer more car for the price. Though either ways it is the same point being discussed.

Along with the points you added - One more important point to note is that Brezza starting variant is a diesel, whereas Ecosport starting variant is a 1.5 petrol with a higher tax liability. This also gives an opportunity for TATA to go in for a much better starting price than either of these cars.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 19:41   #1836
Distinguished - BHPian

I tried to find a lot, but at least on normal searches, didn't find too many details about the 1.5 Revotorq 110. Seems it is kept under the sheets as much as possible. Does anyone have any all-side images, parameters details? Or they are already discussed on the thread and I missed them...

The car is of course a gem & the only other car that I wish from heart to actually buy. First in heart will always remain a STORME.
But its this diesel engine that might actually be it's best feature. And a saviour for TML. Since the 1.4 CR4 I don't think TML did much on the engine front for diesels. The 1.3 SDE MJD is now old. While a superb engine, it is never a right running mate for any TML car. The cars are heavy & terribly amplify the 1.3's turbo lag regardless of gearing ratios.

A 1.5 is exactly what was needed & about time! If its as robust, trouble free & reliable as the workhorse 475 TCIC IDI, TML can just sit designing cars from all segments around this single unit for a decade.

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th August 2017 at 19:46.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 21:19   #1837
BHPian

Overdrive has come out with the review of Nexon. Like always it is one of the better reviews. Some observations of the reviewer:
  1. 16 inch wheels are standard, irrespective of the trim.
  2. Diesel engine is the better of two, with higher torque helping during low speeds. Both the engines complement the car well, however they lack top end grunt.
  3. Petrol engine suffers from vibrations in the lower rev range.
  4. Many niggles like inconsistent fit and finish. Gear knob breaking off.
  5. Splendid ride and decent handling despite heavy build.
In the end the reviewer says if Tata can sort out the niggles and give a robust warranty, this product can do what Ecosport did when it was launched.

PraNeel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 22:24   #1838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
[*]Many niggles like inconsistent fit and finish. Gear knob breaking off.[/list]In the end the reviewer says if Tata can sort out the niggles and give a robust warranty, this product can do what Ecosport did when it was launched.
I would definitely take this review with a pinch of salt. How come it's only overdrive reviewers who find such parts and that too only in tata cars.

They did that with Vista by taking out A-pillar cladding, they did this with zest by taking out seat height adjustment lever and now they are doing this with Nexon!

Seriously the gear lever coming off seems to staged crap by overdrive.

I have driven my zest for over 65,000 kilometers in just 2 years. I have never had any issue with the height adjustment lever which is generously used considering the height difference between me and my parents.
fuelinmyveins is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th August 2017, 23:44   #1839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
I would definitely take this review with a pinch of salt. How come it's only overdrive reviewers who find such parts and that too only in tata cars.

They did that with Vista by taking out A-pillar cladding, they did this with zest by taking out seat height adjustment lever and now they are doing this with Nexon!

Seriously the gear lever coming off seems to staged crap by overdrive.
These are pre-production cars. Even our team-bhp review has pointed out niggles in Hexa and Storme reviews. Even Maruti Dzire had an ill fitted rear ac console. I hope there are no issues in production cars.
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 00:13   #1840
Distinguished - BHPian

The Tata Nexon decked with official accessories, possibly for a photoshoot:

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-image1.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-image2.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-image3.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-image4.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-image5.jpg

Received on WhatsApp.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 5th August 2017 at 00:14.
RavenAvi is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 07:24   #1841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Tata Nexon decked with official accessories
I hope they offer a minimalist bumper guard/bull bar as an accessory. I would like to slightly mask that front tata-family look.
Something like this would help my cause.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-frontbumperguards.jpg  

Old 5th August 2017, 09:20   #1842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Overdrive has come out with the review of Nexon. Like always it is one of the better reviews.
I watched the review- he seems happy with the product. However, as has been pointed out by someone here, the Overdrive team has issues with Tata products all the time. In the past, I've seen a comparison video of the Tigor, the new Dzire and the Xcent. They said that the Tigor rattles quite a bit-everything rattles inside. However, the audio suggests that the cabin noise in the Dzire was far more than in the Tigor. Interestingly, they mentioned that the Dzire and XCent are more silent inside, which was clearly not the case.

The accesories look good. I'm sure that given an option, a lot of people would like to coat their cars in chrome-including the ceramic strips near the fog lamps. That's how India works
Nissan1180 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 09:23   #1843
Distinguished - BHPian

If I remember correctly, Overdrive was a Tata Group publication when it was launched. Now it is owned by Network 18.

Ironical !
condor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 10:41   #1844
Senior - BHPian

The Nexon seems like a competent product. It has its ups - powerful diesel engine, good interiors etc. (Guys, no car is flawless). IMO What matters more than anything else, is that this car would control the ever increasing absurd prices being announced in the market, without a substantial increase in quality.

My take (If I had to say in short (considering its performance) what kind of people will like it, the product placement) is :

This mega-hatch is quick, agile, built sufficiently well, has a design many would call "funky" & is likely to be priced aggressively. Well within the reach of many, very many. The Nexon will be like the Honda Dio amongst cars. Many may not like it, but its there - satisfying the kind of crowd that does.

This is a company whose brand is almost written off by most buyers in the mass-market 8-10lakh segment, reforming itself to suit the buyers fancy and yearning for sales numbers of an all-new product that is supposed to announce to the world that they're BACK IN THE GAME.

Some of you may disagree that the Hexa was infact Tata's comeback car, but competitors don't think so! They think (& often say in their sales pitch to the customer) that its a rehashed version of the Aria. They can't say the same about the Nexon! This is nothing like what people thought of Tata cars.

THIS undeniably is, Tata's mass-market comeback car ! Let the games begin.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 5th August 2017 at 11:02.
GrammarNazi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 14:05   #1845
BHPian

Tata is taking so much long to take it to the market, this baby suv, has already started to grow the beard and moustache.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-red-bumper-1.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-red-bumper-2.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-blue-bumper-3.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-blue-bumper-4.jpg

Just did this quick photoshop job to cover up the only grouse I have with this vehicle as of now, the Tata family face. Knowing the fact that some bull bars might play foul with airbag sensors, I think this is one vehicle that might benefit immensely look-wise and widen its appeal if it gets the rightly sized and shaped after market front bumper.

Note: You can ignore those I have used in the images. Sure there are much better examples available on the web and in the market but due to paucity of time I had to make do with them for the time being. The purpose here was just to get a rough outline to see if it works or not with the vehicle face.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-red-bumper-5.jpg

Note to Mods: I forgot to attach this pic. Please merge with the earlier post.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th August 2017 at 16:53. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
drnilswap is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks