Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2017, 17:21   #1846
srh
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnilswap View Post
I hope they offer a minimalist bumper guard/bull bar as an accessory. .
You want to do this to ensure that the airbags don't deploy? Don't forget that airbags are standard on all variants.
srh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 17:43   #1847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The purpose here was just to get a rough outline to see if it works or not with the vehicle face.
Yeah one can hide the face, but I seriously hope the occupants retain theirs in case of an unfortunate crash!!

Bull bars are a strict no-no on a car with airbags. May render the sensors useless and with it the airbags themselves. Not to speak about the adverse effect it may have on the crash worthiness by possibly even rendering the crumple zones useless??
Old 5th August 2017, 19:10   #1848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Yeah one can hide the face, but I seriously hope the occupants retain...
Haven't I made myself amply clear that I'm aware of the drawbacks with these bumper guards?

I quote myself from my earlier post,
Quote:
Knowing the fact that some bull bars might play foul with airbag sensors...
I don't think a plastic bumper would affect the crumple zones adversely though. In fact, such collapsible bumper would act as an extra crumple element to absorb impact. I could be wrong here. Please enlighten me on this.

Aren't there similar accessories for car with airbags that come manufacturer certified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
You want to do this to ensure that the airbags don't deploy? Don't forget that airbags are standard on all variants.
and no, I don't want to do this myself. I want Tata to do this for me, when I say,
Quote:
I hope they offer a minimalist bumper guard...
I want them to offer as an accessory, something similar to what I have rendered in those pics, that comes with manufacturer certification that it won't play foul with those sensors, and which I can get for my car with complete peace of mind. OEMs know where the sensors are and what's the mechanism of deployment of airbag in that particular car.
If I wanted to do this on my own, I wouldn't have pinned my hopes on Tata, I could get that done from any roadside accessories shop.

Off topic:
Is it unfair to expect people on this forum to read the post carefully and interpret correctly before they hit that reply button? One could highlight/italicize/underline or make bold every word they want to emphasise on, but would that solve the problem? Surely, at this level one cannot teach anybody to read.

Last edited by drnilswap : 5th August 2017 at 19:28.
drnilswap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 19:33   #1849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Haven't I made myself amply clear that I'm aware of the drawbacks with these bumper guards?
Sirji, the point is you mentioned of an after market bullbar. And it is not some bullbars that affect the functioning of airbags. Overwhelming majority of the ones available in the after market will ensure that the airbags on your car remain a gimmick. There is no way a bullbar can ensure that airbags retain their functionality unless you have the sensors installed directly on them. Even Tata cannot do that for you unless they offer you a factory fitted bullbar with sensors fitted on it.

Moreover, matter is not just about the airbags not doing their jobs, it is also about rendering the crumple zones innefective (I missed the point where you mentioned about plastic bullbars). Enough has been discussed on this elsewhere in the forum so I would not get into all that as we would then be diverting from the topic.

Just that I belong the the clan who believes in function over form, safety over looks and I believe such perils should be highlighted in a forum that is seen and read by millions.

However since we are going off topic, let's chuck it here and move on accepting that your intention was to convey that a bullbar which does not adversely affect the safety of the car, will do a world of good to improve the looks (though I don't agree with that part either- bullbars in my opinion make the cars look ugly). Let's agree to disagree.

Last edited by vibbs : 5th August 2017 at 19:38.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 20:12   #1850
BHPian

Quote:
Just that I belong the the clan who believes in function over form, safety over looks and I believe such perils should be highlighted in a forum that is seen and read by millions.
Me too belong to the exact same clan and that is why this particular vehicle has got me interested despite its design compared to its not-so-awkward looking competitors. I have issues with how this vehicle looks (Note to everyone: It's a personal opinion. Please don't jump on me for that.) But I admire it for what it offers mechanically. I'm surely going for it if those numbers translate to a good drive on road. A slightly better look wouldn't hurt. So, I tried my bit there.

Quote:
your intention was to convey that a bullbar which does not adversely affect the safety of the car, will do a world of good to improve the looks
Yes, exactly that.

Quote:
though I don't agree with that part either- bullbars in my opinion make the cars look ugly
Totally with you on this for most cars. But I feel Nexon would benefit in the looks department with something like that.

Quote:
Let's agree to disagree.
That's the key to discovery, ain't it?
drnilswap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 20:48   #1851
Distinguished - BHPian

RavenAvi is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 22:16   #1852
Senior - BHPian

I, for one, like the naked look of a car. I wouldn't fit a bull bar on a Scorpio, leave alone Nexon. For me, accessories mean mats, scuff Plates and other utilitarian things. I never even upgraded to higher powers headlamps.Ofcouse, that goes with the area I normally traverse.

Accessories included would cascade the on road price. And we have different tastes.

Bull bar isn't a safety feature. It just flicks of unruly, light weight in motion bikes. I don't know how it inhibits deployment of airbags.

Last edited by simplyself : 5th August 2017 at 22:27.
simplyself is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2017, 23:58   #1853
Senior - BHPian

Here is another Nexon video.
Latheesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 01:41   #1854
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I quote myself from my earlier post,
I don't think a plastic bumper would affect the crumple zones adversely though. In fact, such collapsible bumper would act as an extra crumple element to absorb impact. I could be wrong here. Please enlighten me on this.

Aren't there similar accessories for car with airbags that come manufacturer certified?
The ones on the Honda BRV come to mind. These are just for cosmetic purposes. It won't affect the working of airbags since these are just glued to the bumper rather than bolted to the chassis like the traditional bullbars.

Pics source - BHPian Smartcat.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-p_20160708_182904_p.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_20170806_014014.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 13:29   #1855
BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile at FORD's.

//Ford is all set to launch the heavily updated EcoSport this October in time for the festive season.
I read somewhere that it is going to be mid-September.

And this 2018 version comes with a floating touch screen HU. So if Ford manages to launch it before Tata, Nexon would lose this segment-first tag.
Old 6th August 2017, 16:40   #1856
BANNED

Quote:
........OEMs know where the sensors are and what's the mechanism of deployment of airbag in that particular car...
You have raised an interesting point, which I hope some of our more well-informed members can throw light on - what is the actual trigger mechanism (sensor) for air-bag deployment? Is it triggered by proximity sensors (which might be blocked by the bull-bar placement)? Or is it triggered by G-force sensors which would measure retardation/deceleration at moment of impact? Which begs the question, would these be affected by bull-bar placement? Or is it some new high tech application integrating both inputs? It would be a relief to know.
Old 6th August 2017, 16:59   #1857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
what is the actual trigger mechanism (sensor) for air-bag deployment?
procrj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th August 2017, 19:03   #1858
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Thanks procrj, that certainly clears the air. And I am going somewhat OT, but to tell you the truth, I'm a little underwhelmed! So OK, it is a G-force sensor, but I was expecting something a bit more high-tech than a cam & strip-contact mechanism - something which has been around for over half a century now! And as the commentator himself mentions, rust is a recurrent problem.

I don't know if I'm in a minority, but I wonder if I am alone in thinking that this arrangement could be a possible cause for the wide-spread reports of failures of air-bag deployment under actual crash situations.

Thanks again, procrj, this was an important nugget of information for me.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 10:51   #1859
Team-BHP Support

Autocar now comes up with a review of the petrol variant, this time shot at the media event in Idukki.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2017, 12:48   #1860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Autocar now comes up with a review of the petrol variant, this time shot at the media event in Idukki.
Such a conflicting review. That's why we just can't trust these "paid automotive journalists". Some are saying petrol engine is better, some are saying diesel engine is better, some are saying both are lackluster and some are saying both are good. Goes on to show that Team-BHP review is worth it's weight in gold.

And somebody ask this "genius" that if the the engine produces it's peak torque from 2000 rpm then how come the car starts pulling only after 3000 rpm? All seems to paid crap.
fuelinmyveins is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks