Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2017, 06:59   #1876
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
The figures from first drives are always meant to be taken with a pinch of salt, this includes a lot of idling while the features and instructions are being given to the driver. I remember seeing some video on Youtube. I believe the credible FE figures are the once claimed by an owner after full to tank full run.
I have been driving the ecosport TDCi for 3yrs now and have clocked 65k kms, most of which is a 60km commute across pune. I can tell you for sure that 15kmpl for a diesel producing 110bhp sounds very real world to me!!! Trying to compare it to Maruti levels of FE where a 8yr / 1lac km old swift ldi my uncle owns returns 12-13kmpl is pointless. Am just not sure any other manufacturer can beat MSIL at the FE game. Similar to Hyundai, Tata will have to find its own space and i think they are on the right direction.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 8th August 2017 at 07:02.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 09:47   #1877
BHPian

I was bummed that the petrol is a 3-cylinder unit. Had TDed the Tiago and was really let down by the coarse nature of the engine. This petrol unit is based on the same engine, although there is turbo plus VVT (I think?) thrown in. Save for better damping, I feel most of the engine's coarseness will still filter through. ACI mentions the same in their review. And correct me if I'm wrong, but a 1.2L mill will really have to be run through its paces to extract sufficient performance out of it. Can't see how that's good for the engine or for relaxed driving?
Old 8th August 2017, 10:44   #1878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchitya View Post
I was bummed that the petrol is a 3-cylinder unit. Had TDed the Tiago and was really let down by the coarse nature of the engine. Save for better damping, I feel most of the engine's coarseness will still filter through. ACI mentions the same in their review. And correct me if I'm wrong, but a 1.2L mill will really have to be run through its paces to extract sufficient performance out of it. Can't see how that's good for the engine or for relaxed driving?
1. A balancer shaft has been added that counteracts inherent vibrations.
2. VVT will allow the engine to breathe freely at higher rpm.
3. Tubocharging(forced induction) allows for generation of higher horsepower and torque from smaller displacement.
4. Many companies use small displacement, 3 cylinder tubrochrged engines to produce more power and torque than bigger naturally aspirated engines. This includes 1 liter 3 cylinder Ecoboost petrol engine from Ford, 1.0 liter 3 cylinder TSI petrol engine from VW, 1.5 liter 3 cylinder turbo petrol engine from BMW, 1.0 liter 3 cylinder DCVCP turbo petrol engine from GM etc.

All have been praised for their power and fuel economy with the 1 liter ecoboost engine being the engine of the year for 5 years in a row. So I don't think that there shall be any problem on account of the engine being 1.2 liter 3 cylinder unit. Tata has packed it with a lot of tech so the engine will surely be more than adequate if not a scorcher. This very same 1.2 liter revotron motor has been tuned for 190 BHP and 210 Nm of torque for racemo application.
fuelinmyveins is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 11:26   #1879
BHPian

As the initial media humdrum stops, the thread gets back to pessimism..

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I won't pick a petrol Tata. Somehow they never get it right.
If i am not wrong their best-seller Tiago is sold 70% in petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
Tata won't be able meet the initial demand and leading to unwanted waiting periods.

So the sequence of events might be:-
Waiting periods equals Hit product, No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by power ranger View Post
I sympathize with this company and my fear is that with these numbers they may close the PCBU soon.

My question is who cares if the platform does not support. why launch a product again which does not create a USP and again suffer losses.

I clearly see PCBU closing with these numbers soon.
Sir, I greatly doubt, howsoever hard You may see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheepak10 View Post
Looks like the same issue all over again - Interests peaked during media drive and slowly waning before the product launch
Attachment 1664571
I feel, Media drives are mainly to get feedback from experts and do last-minute rectifications, so that us customers are not made guinea pigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
That said, service quality has not changed all that much in four years.
Hmm.. No.2 in service satisfaction doesn't seem too great to you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchitya View Post
I feel most of the engine's coarseness will still filter through.
So, fueled by the all prevailing patriotism vibe going on this month, i do feel and wish that we give the "Indian" Nexon a due chance to succeed and not before it arrives. Let's await our team-bhp review and then do a hands-on test-drive to voice our expert comments.
Moto$apien is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 11:36   #1880
Senior - BHPian

I really don't care that JD Power puts them in fourth place. I go by my actual experiences with their after sales since 2013 till now which is all that is relevant to me.

Let's also put to bed the patriotism spiel for inconsistency if nothing else. We ought to also not be using Chinese smartphones in that case but these command the largest market share in India today and their makers also sponsor our biggest spectator sport. People behaving rationally will spend money toward that which gives them the most perceived value. Nothing wrong in that.

Last edited by Sawyer : 8th August 2017 at 11:38.
Sawyer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 11:51   #1881
Team-BHP Support

Going through the reviews one second time, couldn't help but notice that TATA seems to have taken a step backwards in terms of fit & finish and even panel gaps.

Don't remember seeing such inconsistencies in the Hexa or even Zest. Hopefully they sort it out in the next month or so, before the launch.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-screenshot_2017080515594160.png

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-screenshot_2017080710490551.png
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 12:16   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
I really don't care that JD Power puts them in fourth place. I go by my actual experiences with their after sales since 2013 till now which is all that is relevant to me.
Have you had actual experience with the after sales of Maruti or Hyundai(as you seem to praise them in your earlier post)? or you are going by what others say? What I am trying to say is people have had bad experience with Maruti and Hyundai after sales as well and the same has been registered in this forum. My friends in Bangalore are happy with TATA after sales and may be you have had a bad experience with them. It also possible to say Maruti after sales is the worst because I had a bad experience. So if we want to be rational we have to go with general consensus or customer rating sites like JD Power and give some credit to them as well. If you see the list Maruti, Honda and Hyundai are ahead of TATA and rightfully so as the general consensus in our forum is that though TATA has improved its after sales it still lags behind them. People should look at the opinion of many than go with one person or his views.

Quote:
Let's also put to bed the patriotism spiel for inconsistency if nothing else. We ought to also not be using Chinese smartphones in that case but these command the largest market share in India today and their makers also sponsor our biggest spectator sport. People behaving rationally will spend money toward that which gives them the most perceived value. Nothing wrong in that.
Yes. I agree with you. Nexon shouldnt win or bought just because it is an "Indian" Nexon. It should only win or be successful based on it merits with other competitors. Same way People behaving rationally should stop expecting Nexon to be cheap just because it is "Indian".
jaganpec2002 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 13:08   #1883
Senior - BHPian

I have a Toyota, Maruti, Honda and a Nano, so I speak from direct personal experience of each. Obviously, everyone with some sense will take my opinion as just one data point.
My daughter has a Hyundai, so I know a little about them as well.

Last edited by Sawyer : 8th August 2017 at 13:12.
Old 8th August 2017, 14:00   #1884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Going through the reviews one second time, couldn't help but notice that TATA seems to have taken a step backwards in terms of fit & finish and even panel gaps.
That is what happens if you over do design. In a small area around the tail lamp we can see around 7 panels (that too different materials -
glass/plastic/metal). It is going to be very difficult to maintain consistent panel gap. They could have gone without ceramic insert at least for the side panels.
Latheesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 15:37   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
I feel, Media drives are mainly to get feedback from experts and do last-minute rectifications, so that us customers are not made guinea pigs.
If that was true, then it is too late in the game to make any changes - Suppliers cannot make changes in manufacturing that could complete design, manufacturing, testing and production within 60 days.

And as was mentioned already, Tata has done extensive testing over thousands of KMs and I'm sure experienced drivers and technicians would be involved in this process. Most media house reviewers are hardly experts, IMO.

Media drives are primarily to get the buzz going and showcase the capabilities of the product. While the media event and hype was creating well, letting the interest and hype subside before the actual product launch may not be a smart one.
dheepak10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 16:15   #1886
BHPian

Interesting pic: Looks Fabulous too.
Source: Overdrive & Automotive India Forum.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexon_conv.jpg  

Hickstead is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 16:54   #1887
Senior - BHPian

I think we are making a habit of bashing TATA for this while many other companies face similar issues. Over the course of the last 1 month, I have TD'd a lot of American (GMC, Cadillac, Lincoln, Jeep) expensive car's while considering to buy them. On close inspection, each of them had some inconsistency or the other.

Latest incident - an acquaintance of mine got a Tesla Model X for TD and I saw it to have the biggest inconsistency of all. The Sales Rep cheekishly admitted that some of the Model X's come with gaps and some don't.
However, my acquaintance did order the car on the spot despite being unsure whether or not his car would have panel gaps. why? according to him, the car has more to be liked than focus on these small minor issues. BTW, he works for a Tier 1 supplier to OEMs and knows a thing or 2 about manufacturing processes.

There are acceptability limits which are usually more user experience related. If one likes the overall driving experience, small issues like this don't become deal breakers. But of course, there are unacceptability limits too that then mar the experience.

I am sure the Nexon has more to be excited about than focus on panel gaps. Same analogy as the Model X.

I say no more.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 8th August 2017 at 16:56.
14000rpm is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 17:12   #1888
BHPian

Ha!!!
When the owners say "I have a good experience with the Tata sales & service for a few years and all well", TBHP experts point to some survey report saying "Its in bottom of the list" and when we get to see such a survey report showing Tata sales and service have improved and its actually in 2nd place [sharing with Hyundai], the same/similar experts say "Never mind these surveys, but this is what people get from the Tata service centres".

I switched from Tata [after good, long 12 years with them] to Honda. I feel/see no difference except the place where I sit and wait. I honestly, don't care about the place where I sit/wait or whether I share the place with drivers or in the exclusive owner's lounge. As a matter of fact, there are more drivers coming to get the Honda cars service done than the owners.

From what I get in the vehicle post the service [completed 4 services now], I see no difference from what I used to get from Tata folks [for my Safari and Marina].

As a matter of fact, I feel I lost control over what I want to get it done in my car with Honda. With my Tata cars, I always felt, there was a lot more personal connect between me, my car, service advisor, service engineer and service manager. This is completely lost with Honda. Its just business but nothing else!

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 17:34   #1889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Ha!!!

As a matter of fact, I feel I lost control over what I want to get it done in my car with Honda. With my Tata cars, I always felt, there was a lot more personal connect between me, my car, service advisor, service engineer and service manager. This is completely lost with Honda. Its just business but nothing else!

Prem.
Even I own a Tata (16 years old) and a Honda (5 Years old). Never felt much difference in the service, may be marginal (cleanliness, customer lounge feel). However, I prefer Tata over Honda, as I completely understand the "connect" you mentioned. Its missing at Honda dealerships.
keeprevving is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2017, 18:47   #1890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Don't remember seeing such inconsistencies in the Hexa or even Zest. Hopefully they sort it out in the next month or so, before the launch.
I will be honest about my eyesight- I do not a have perfect vision. But, I can see well under a microscope, and this fitment looks acceptable to me- I would not have raised an issue about it had it been on my car. Why? Because it is within the limits of quality tolerance. Let us look at the best selling sedan in India with a magnifying glass. This image has been taken from the official review published on this forum. I added the black colored rectangles to highlight the areas that have panel gaps.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-2017marutidzire07.jpg

Will I be right in saying that Maruti lacks quality control? No. These are economy segment, mass produced cars and errors to the tune of a few microns are not cheap to eliminate during the manufacturing process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
That is what happens if you over do design. They could have gone without ceramic insert at least for the side panels.
I do not know how you could infer that this was a problem caused by the ceramic fixture. At least they tried something new that looks very cool. Yes, they should have kept the option of a thick chrome strip to suit all tastes, but for me, ceramic works better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post

So, fueled by the all prevailing patriotism vibe going on this month, i do feel and wish that we give the "Indian" Nexon a due chance to succeed and not before it arrives.
Some people dislike Tata because of prior experiences that were not pleasant. Some others think that if you buy a car that costs more than a few lakhs, it should have a "premium foreign brand". I sympathize with the first group. Tata should offer a very compelling buyback scheme for old Indica/Vista/Manza/Safari customers. They are not doing that. In fact, they quote really bad resale figures for old Tata products, which is a bad customer acquisition strategy. They offered Rs. 90k for our 2015 Nano Twist while I'll easily manage to get more than Rs. 130k if it is listed on OLX. I remember that GM offered Astra/Corsa owners an option to upgrade to the Optra at a very good price since the Opel brand was discontinued in India. If they respect the old customers, they would get a lot of positive publicity.

For the second group, I really don't know what to say. Patriotism is about creating maximum value in the country, and none of the foreign brands remotely aim to do that. My neighbor worked for Hyundai for a few years in Chennai and he said that most components that are used in a Hyundai car in India are designed in Korea. That process doesn't create value for India. The actual value of a manufacturing economy lies in the intellectual property that is created during the designing of a product.

Quote:
We ought to also not be using Chinese smartphones in that case but these command the largest market share in India today and their makers also sponsor our biggest spectator sport.
This is but we use smartphones manufactured in another country because there's no semiconductor industry in India. There's a vibrant, high-quality car manufacturing industry here and I personally feel that the more we support it, promote it and patronize it, the better we will become. If there's one case study that every business school in the world teaches, it is that of the Tata Nano. Yes, it is the story of a failure of a visionary product in an image conscious market. However, it is the only mention of a recognizable Indian car brand in most parts of the world. Also, the smartphone that I'm using right now is not exactly designed in China- I discarded the old one that was designed there. Whenever possible, I try to contribute in a very small way by using products that were designed and manufactured in India. Sorry for making this a long post.Thanks.

Last edited by Nissan1180 : 8th August 2017 at 18:49.
Nissan1180 is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks