Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2017, 07:15   #2701
BHPian

Tata's compact SUV, the Nexon. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanket View Post
Hi, since you've owned quite a few TATA cars, I would like to ask this question. I would have already booked the Nexon, but seeing the niggles crapping up in almost all the media drives, I am skeptical. Tata says it's all pre-production but I am not sure if they can remove the majority of the niggles right from the first batch!
My father has been using his Zest XMA for 3 years now. Its from the first batch. The car has done duties on extremely bad roads of rural Uttar Pradesh. Never ever it has broken down or left my family stranded. No niggles whatsoever apart from loose handbrake which the service guy tightened after complaining about it in the next service.Absolutely gem of a car. Suspension is the best in the class. The likes of Honda City and Vento can't take potholes with the elegance that the XM platform from Tata can.

What we don't like about the Zest is:

1. Less no. of cubbyholes.
2. Petrol variants (friend's car) don't offer the kind of coherent and smooth operation the diesel offers. Swift petrol os a much better bet than the Zest petrol for example. The drivetrain feels half cooked in the petrol.

As Zest's petrol engine is a 8 valve unit, while Nexon's is an all new 16 valve one, I am sure it would be much better than the Zest's, still would recommend, if you are going for the petrol to have thorough and multiple test drives. Test drivetrain's smoothness in bumper to bumper traffic and slowly moving traffic conditions to make your mind. The diesel should be the pick of the two. There is absolutely no match for this platform's high speed stability. Only the likes of Fiat Linea or Ford Fiesta offer that rock solid feel at stupid, illegal speeds that my father's Zest has been driven at.

I am yet to drive the Nexon but as it has got many cubbyholes, like Tiago/Tigor and the same platform as the Zest, only much improved and extended, I am sure the Nexon will serve you well. Forget about any reliability related doubts that you might have regarding the Tata brand or the pre production niggles that Media might report.

Current status of Indian media is unfortunate and sad. You can sense the bias in usual Autocar review/comparison videos on YouTube. The Brezza is no match to Nexon to be fair, but how Renuka Kriplani just doesn't want to agree to this is a proof to their bias. Probably TaMo adheres to their ethics and doesn't invest too much in media relations.

Last edited by ampere : 1st October 2017 at 23:51. Reason: Formatted for readability
itsashishsharma is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 07:30   #2702
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Visited the showroom yesterday around 3PM. The facility was completed closed and locked on account of the festivals! Could see a red Nexon on display through the glass.

Test drives postponed to next weekend.
The showrooms have got a very rare 4-day weekend. Ok, many would have been at office on Friday evening for the Ayudha pooja, but it still gives them 3 days with their family. Even I wanted to TD the petrol version, but have to wait. Apart from this, I am driving with a weak battery and need help to cut open the nut holding the positive terminal. All move to next week.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 07:30   #2703
Team-BHP Support

Re: Testing The Nexon : Doing their Homework

Quote:
I thought the same. But it's extremely disappointing to see various kinds of issues cropping up in almost all the media drives of the car!
Tata says it's all pre-production, but I don't think all the issues can be sorted right from the first batch!
Not that I am defending TATA Motors here. (Infact, some of the guys would be eager to call me a TATA basher for calling out the negatives).

But, I noticed that you are saying this across threads that Nexon has niggles. To put the record straight - please back it up with data. What are the niggles and who is experiencing them?

The only two I have noticed is Overdrive complaining of a loose gearknob on their test car. Nothing serious, and TATA has a good track record these days when it comes to niggle free products. Zest, Bolt, Hexa and Tiago were all good in QC - with only the AMT had some initial teething issues. My friend's brand new Nexon has the headlamps fogged up from the time of delivery itself, as pointed out few pages back - but that should be due to the monsoon conditions (even Compass had the same issue). I informed my friend of this and he doesn't seem to be very worried and is quite happy with the product.

However, in all the below threads (and in a couple of posts in this thread), you have mentioned there are many niggles?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4278603
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4278607
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4278937
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 08:35   #2704
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not that I am defending TATA Motors here. (Infact, some of the guys would be eager to call me a TATA basher for calling out the negatives).
Hi, I've seen quite a few people reporting malfunctioning headlamps and tail lamps, doors locking/unlocking on their own, driver side door automatically locked, etc.
Secondly, when I went for the second TD of the car, I could easily take out a plastic component from storage area near the handbrake(lower variant). Definitely not something pleasant.

I would love to be corrected, but as a potential buyer, these issues are the only things holding me to book the car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
When you say niggles, what exactly are you referring to?

IMHO, there's nothing like going and assessing first-hand if the ergonomics and quality meet your expectations. If you want an expert opinion, you could wait for Team-BHP's official review - it would cover pretty much everything that matters in detail and would likely factor in the production version too.
Yes, ofcourse. T-BHP review is eagerly awaited and I hope the wait isn't too long.
Many people have reported about the malfunctioning headlights/tailamps and problems in the door lock mechanisms.

Last edited by ampere : 1st October 2017 at 23:52. Reason: Back to back posts merged; Trimmed quoted post
Old 1st October 2017, 08:39   #2705
BHPian

Are we facing similar issue like Tigor official review where car is not available for drive for compiling the review? A likely date on when the review would be out would help people like me who keep visiting the site every hour to check if it has been published.

There are 50,000 views to this thread in the last 30 hours which on a festival day for me is hightened anticipation among viewers waiting for the review. I don't mean to pressure the Mods to compress on the time, but just seeking a bit of clarity to pacify the instincts.
mrbaddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 08:46   #2706
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
My father has been using his Zest XMA for 3 years now. Its from the first batch. The car has done duties on extremely bad roads of rural Uttar Pradesh. Never ever it has broken down or left my family stranded.
No niggles whatsoever apart from loose handbrake which the service guy tightened after complaining about it in the next service.
Absolutely gem of a car. Suspension is the best in the class. The likes of Honda City and Vento can't take potholes with the elegance that the XM platform from Tata can.
Thanks for the honest feedback. Infact, ride quality is one of the prime factors of me being interested in the Nexon! Ecosport is just too stiff for me!

Quote:
Forget about any reliability related doubts that you might have regarding the Tata brand or the pre production niggles that Media might report. Current status of Indian media is unfortunate and sad. You can sense the bias in usual Autocar review/comparison videos on YouTube. The Brezza is no match to Nexon to be fair, but how Renuka Kriplani just doesn't want to agree to this is a proof to their bias. Probably TaMo adheres to their ethics and doesn't invest too much in media relations.
Coming to the media part, I think Autocar is still better than many other websites. Let's take the example you mentioned. You see, a typical buyer would definitely look at the Brezza along with the Nexon, so comparing them doesn't seem illogical. Having said that, they clearly stated that the Nexon is a superior product, even if it's not backed by the strong sales network of India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
Brother take a chill pill.

Such things are common on all prelaunch media events. Have you forgotten the Ecosport/duster/Creta rolling over fiasco? Have you forgotten the parts falling off on Vitara brezza media drives?

The journalists try to inspect and analyse the cars to death on pre launch drives. In case of TATA we can't help but expect some journalists to be paid for bad mouthing the Nexon.

If minor niggles nag you crazy then please stay away from the TATA and German cars. Its not that such niggles don't crop up in other cars, but at least in case of Hyundai and Maruti you would take them as just normal wear and tear stuff.
Well, i definitely agree that the media touts about these things much more when it's about companies like TATA for sure. It could be due to their poor image already or because of their own personal profits.
Could you please explain the "Ecosport/duster/Creta rolling over fiasco"?

So basically these problems are common to all new models of all companies right? So if I am looking to buy a car, and all other alternatives are present in the market for quite a long time, I should give them a small advantage right?

Best,
Sanket.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st October 2017 at 12:59. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 1st October 2017, 09:06   #2707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Are we facing similar issue like Tigor official review where car is not available for drive for compiling the review?
Repeat update: The TD has happened, and the review is WIP. It will be out soon. If you are following TBHP on FB, you can also keep an eye out for the alert there.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 09:22   #2708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Are we facing similar issue like Tigor official review where car is not available for drive for compiling the review?
Even I am eagerly waiting for the review. Checking here every 4 hours. It would have been a great read for the extended weekend. Like they say good this come from being patience I guess it will be top notch!

Last edited by ampere : 1st October 2017 at 23:53. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 1st October 2017, 09:25   #2709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, ofcourse. T-BHP review is eagerly awaited and I hope the wait isn't too long.
Many people have reported about the malfunctioning headlights/tailamps and problems in the door lock mechanisms.
The highest I have noticed someone complain about niggles in the Nexon on this thread or elsewhere is you, jsanket! 10 posts out of a total 23 so far!!

On the serious side, I have been using Tatas since 1995, that's 22 years! And I still look forward to my next car to be one from them. The Nexon is tempting but I see no reason to part with the Vista for now after 1,20,000 kms. The only compelling reason over the Vista would definitely be the added ground clearance. The others, being a larger boot, better interiors (tired of beige) and the 6th cog. But right now, it still feels like a splurge, an unnecessary indulgence. I buy with my mind rather than my heart. I wouldn't hesitate to put money on a Nexon.

Tatas are known to take physical abuse well, I guarantee you that. Done two cross-country trips, with barely a niggle.

If you're in doubt, please don't buy the Nexon. It would be a great damage not only to Tata but also to you. Every tiny thing will look huge in comparison, making you lose sleep on your choice. No one deserves that.
discoverwild is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 09:29   #2710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I've seen quite a few people reporting malfunctioning headlamps and tail lamps, doors locking/unlocking on their own, driver side door automatically locked, etc.
Secondly, when I went for the second TD of the car, I could easily take out a plastic component from storage area near the handbrake(lower variant). Definitely not something pleasant.

I would love to be corrected, but as a potential buyer, these issues are the only things holding me to book the car!
Quote:
The only issues I have seen reported are one each of the right headlamp switching itself off and then on by itself during an event, and the cornering fogs not working (the latter of which was an "I think they weren't working" and not definitive). Please add your personal experiences, as depending on hearsay is the worst form of research.

For your information:

1. Please learn about multi-quote and posting one reply. Back to back/consecutive posts are not permitted at Team-BHP

2. You haven't backed up these "reports" of various issues that you have received from "many people" with any data. Until and unless you do, I and most others in the forum will disregard your posts at best and at worst suspect your intentions as being other than gathering information as a potential customer

If you wish to add to the thread, please review the vehicle after a test drive or at the least after checking it out. If you wish to wait for the Team-BHP review, then patience is a virtue.
VeluM is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 09:31   #2711
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
The highest I have noticed someone complain about niggles in the Nexon on this thread or elsewhere is you, jsanket! 10 posts out of a total 23 so far!!

On the serious side, I have been using Tatas since 1995, that's 22 years! And I still look forward to my next car to be one from them.
@Discoverwild, we can say our friend is consistent, may be even more than the niggles .

And we are at 17 years now. Four cars from the early Indica, and Happy with each one of them. In fact, I regret giving up my Sumo even 4.5 years after getting the Storme.

Quote:
If you're in doubt, please don't buy the Nexon. It would be a great damage not only to Tata but also to you. Every tiny thing will look huge in comparison, making you lose sleep on your choice. No one deserves that.
+1, and more. I suggest that Sanket should not even think of buying the Nexon or any other Tata. If he find so many niggles so often with hardly any driving, imagine how many he will find if he actually gets one !
condor is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 10:54   #2712
BHPian

Quote:
It is safe to say that most cars from most manufacturers come with their share of niggles / eccentricities.

Just for reference, here are a bunch of niggles in the Brezza, reported by a BHPian
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4049328

What matters is if one is able to have them resolved or live with them. I personally know that Tata Motors has invested a lot of effort in the Nexon and are going all out to ensure it is a big success. More importantly, they (and many of their dealers) are absolutely confident it will do very well.

I think it's safe to say the Nexon will have some bits one doesn't like, but that would also be true of almost every car. If you like the car overall, you would certainly have a long and enjoyable ownership period!
spindoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 12:00   #2713
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
The only issues I have seen reported are one each of the right headlamp switching itself off and then on by itself during an event, and the cornering fogs not working (the latter of which was an "I think they weren't working" and not definitive). Please add your personal experiences, as depending on hearsay is the worst form of research.
See, I'll not get a car to test for one full day or even 50Km's. Neither do I've the ability to test the car in such a short span of time. That is why I and I guess many others present here resort to reviewers, be it team-bhp or other. Ofcourse, the level of detail and honesty put in team-bhp reviews is at another level.
So my point is that I cannot rely ONLY on what I see and encounter through my personal experiences. I understand many reviews are just paid gimmicks. Thus I pay attention only to those which I believe have some amount of credibility left. Recent Autoportal scam is not one-off and I don't even glance through such reviews.
Lastly, I've done multiple test drives of the car and I ofcourse didn't find much to complain about in this aspect. But yes I could spot some plastic piece coming near the storage around the handbrake(XT variant).

Quote:
1. Please learn about multi-quote and posting one reply. Back to back/consecutive posts are not permitted at Team-BHP
I admit I forgot to multi-quote and will take care of the same in the future.

Quote:
2. You haven't backed up these "reports" of various issues that you have received from "many people" with any data. Until and unless you do, I and most others in the forum will disregard your posts at best and at worst suspect your intentions as being other than gathering information as a potential customer.
Well here are some I can immediately recollect.
https://www.cartrade.com/compare-car...comparison-178
https://www.cardekho.com/road-test/t...review-476.htm

I think both these are mostly candid in their opinion. I've even had a detailed chat with the author Santosh Nair over email!

Quote:
If you wish to add to the thread, please review the vehicle after a test drive or at the least after checking it out. If you wish to wait for the Team-BHP review, then patience is a virtue.
I've already said I've taken multiple test drives of the car, explained that tyres of top variant can safely be fitted onto the rims of lower variants. Ofcourse, I cannot find the niggles I am talking about in my 5-6Km test drives. Practically impossible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Discoverwild, we can say our friend is consistent, may be even more than the niggles .

+1, and more. I suggest that Sanket should not even think of buying the Nexon or any other Tata. If he find so many niggles so often with hardly any driving, imagine how many he will find if he actually gets one !
I never said that I myself found those niggles. I said many people have commented on the same. By many people I don't mean each and every one on the road, many people of the ones I believe have decent credibility. Please see the explanation I gave above.
I agree most of the new vehicles from most companies do have their share of problems but with companies like Tata which are notorious for their service, these issues become all the more important. Plus, I've another option which is an Ecosport, and that is quite an old product which will definitely not have any of such problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
It is safe to say that most cars from most manufacturers come with their share of niggles / eccentricities.

I think it's safe to say the Nexon will have some bits one doesn't like, but that would also be true of almost every car. If you like the car overall, you would certainly have a long and enjoyable ownership period!
and thanks a lot!
jsanket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 14:57   #2714
BHPian

Chill out guys! This is a forum for healthy debate, and all opinions shared here are personal. We must use our discretion while reading these opinions.

We all are enthusiasts, and emotions run high while discussing cars, but there's no need to get aggressive. It's just a car.

I think we all can agree that the Team-BHP reviews are unbiased, so let's wait for it before making any assumptions.
Aaron:) is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 16:29   #2715
BHPian

I drove the WRV and Nexon back to back today & came back with impression that Nexon is head and shoulders above WRV. I drove the top end diesels for both and neither of them have the refinement of a petrol (which I am used to). However, the Nexon masks the crudeness much better. Plus, the interiors of Nexon are so much better place to be in than WRV! I always thought Honda short changed us for they gave in the name of interiors (ever since I drove the Brio auto) and WRV does nothing to dispel the impression. Cheap looking shiny hard plastics abound in WRV.

I am not in the market in this segment but I felt really glad at what Tata Motors has dished out. It deserves every chance to succeed with this product.
Hells Bells is online now   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed