Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2017, 16:40   #2716
BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Got a chance to checkout the Nexon yesterday at Concorde, Saki Vihar road. There was a red XZ+ diesel on display. Test drive was arranged today morning in a blue XZ+ DT diesel.

My observations:
1. TaMo have not only outdone themselves on the design of the Nexon but IMHO they have outdone all the Indian Car makers as a whole. This car makes all the cars in its segment and most cars in the next segment look pale and dated. Pictures and Videos do not do justice to the oomph this car exudes. The Brezza while being a stunning car by itself feels outdated inside-out when compared to the Nexon.

2. Apart from the direct competitors, the price point makes premium hatchbacks, sub 4m sedans and C segment sedans all look overpriced or under equipped

3. The Car is quite spacious and yes you can seat 3 adults in the back seat in comfort.

4. The diesel motor is very good and this car needs a proper auto tranny like the Hexa and not an AMT to complement the MT currently offered. TaMo if you are reading this, you have one customer eagerly waiting for a proper AT on the Nexon. Sunroof, Cruise control, auto headlamps & wipers should be offered on the Nexon in the coming months. A panoramic sunroof will take the ambience in this car to another level.

5. Ride quality and suspension are very, very good. Drove it over the everyday roads that break my civics back and was impressed with the ride quality.

6. Got to know that for the first few days after launch, 100% on road financing was being offered.

For someone like me who migrated to Honda after using the Safari TCIC, Indica turbo & Vista, it feels great to see Tata get their mojo back in the passenger car segment. My 2 cents to all those sitting on the fence to book the Nexon, dont look further, go ahead..

Last edited by Pashin : 1st October 2017 at 16:46.
Pashin is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 18:20   #2717
BHPian

Just test drive the diesel. Absolutely loved it. Coming from a Ritz, everything inside felt miles better. Build quality is just brilliant. Sound system is awesome. Listened to Bonobo and loved it. Back seat is a sofa.

Drove in traffic so could not stretch it's legs. It felt a bit geeky but might be coz I was driving it for the first time coul8get the clutch and accelerator input perfectly. Clutch is light but it's not smooth throughout its movement. Also, clutch position is high, higher than Ritz which already has a high clutch position. In b2b traffic, the left leg would not be resting anywhere. Atleast for me, definitely I could not keep it on the floor and use the clutch with the tip of my shoes. I had to keep it kinda floating above the clutch in traffic.

Overall, it's way better than anything Tata has produced before zest. Everything has a good feel to it. That entire car has a good vibe. And the music quality is superb.

Will be doing another test drive on the highway and with the family before I finalize it.
Dieselritzer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 21:18   #2718
BHPian

Hormazd Sorabjee's tweet
" Bumper month for @TataMotors. Sold 17,286 cars in Sept (18% up) thanks to new launches. CV biz too bouncing back. Now to keep the momentum."

Wondering how many Nexons here?
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 23:12   #2719
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
We all are enthusiasts, and emotions run high while discussing cars, but there's no need to get aggressive. It's just a car.

True. I've been hearing about the official review since long but wonder how much will they make us wait! I just hope the TD has already happened and it's in the fabrication stage.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd October 2017 at 09:11.
jsanket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 00:11   #2720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashin View Post
4. The diesel motor is very good and this car needs a proper auto tranny like the Hexa and not an AMT to complement the MT currently offered. TaMo if you are reading this, you have one customer eagerly waiting for a proper AT on the Nexon. Sunroof, Cruise control, auto headlamps & wipers should be offered on the Nexon in the coming months. A panoramic sunroof will take the ambience in this car to another level.
You nailed it! As someone who is already spoilt by the Hexa's excellent automatic, I will also be ready with my cheque book if the offer the Nexon with the same slushbox. We have a Kwid AMT in the family and its drive is just horrible. I strongly believe that there is no place for jugaads like AMT in passenger cars, especially in premium hatchbacks. Once you have driven a proper automatic, any proper automatic, you'll never touch an AMT. It's that simple.

A diesel Nexon with the Hexa's AT will become the de facto buy for anyone looking for an automatic under 12L. No CVT lag, no DSG unreliability, just good old fashioned performance.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 08:20   #2721
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashin View Post

4. The diesel motor is very good and this car needs a proper auto tranny like the Hexa and not an AMT to complement the MT currently offered. TaMo if you are reading this, you have one customer eagerly waiting for a proper AT on the Nexon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
You nailed it! As someone who is already spoilt by the Hexa's excellent automatic, I will also be ready with my cheque book if the offer the Nexon with the same slushbox. We have a Kwid AMT in the family and its drive is just horrible. I strongly believe that there is no place for jugaads like AMT in passenger cars, especially in premium hatchbacks. Once you have driven a proper automatic, any proper automatic, you'll never touch an AMT. It's that simple.

A diesel Nexon with the Hexa's AT will become the de facto buy for anyone looking for an automatic under 12L. No CVT lag, no DSG unreliability, just good old fashioned performance.
It's already a known fact that the Nexon is getting an AMT and not an AT. No surprises there. However, not all AMTs are the same and I'm sure the one on the Nexon wouldn't be as poor as on the Kwid.

The Hexa's AT is a huge step up in the game and I think it's one of the most expensive components on the Hexa. Using a similar one on the Nexon would increase prices to a prohibitive level and might backfire on the feel-good-price factor that the Nexon is currently at.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 09:02   #2722
BHPian

Hi All,

Went and looked at the Nexon at trivandrum motors.Was a bit underwhelmed by the car to be honest. maybe went with high expectations. It's still very good value.

We may still end up buying this for the engine and suspension and of course the space.The test drive car was not available.

Apparently Tata has given instructions to give test drives to people who have booked the car first. Considering that there were already 30+ bookings we decided to book to make sure we get a test drive first.
vishnurp99 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 09:43   #2723
BHPian

Quote:

My friend, AMT is no jugaad. AMTs vary in quality depending on OEM concerned. I agree even at it's best ( as of now), it's no match to a proper AT. But for a value conscious country like ours, my opinion is that AMT is of higher value than AT.
I have driven Toyota AT. And I tried out the newest Dzire AMT or AGS. The differences are obvious but not enough to deserve another 50 K or so of my hard earned money.
My views might be distorted by my belief that no honest Automobile lover/enthusiast would pick an AT over a MT. But at the very least AMTs have removed taboo from the conversation about Automatics.
Carma2017 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 10:21   #2724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanket View Post
Hi, since you've owned quite a few TATA cars, I would like to ask this question. I would have already booked the Nexon, but seeing the niggles crapping up in almost all the media drives, I am skeptical. Tata says it's all pre-production but I am not sure if they can remove the majority of the niggles right from the first batch!
Sorry but what is your question ?

Are you asking me if you should buy the Nexon "after seeing the niggles creeping up in almost all the media drives ?"

I have already said this before in other threads and I think a few more members have voiced similar views. Don't buy any product unless you like it fully. Once you bought it, don't keep regretting why you bought it.

The rest of the buying process is fairly routine - check what you are buying, negotiate for the best deal, do a PDI and maintain what you bought well.
narayan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 10:52   #2725
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsanket View Post
I agree most of the new vehicles from most companies do have their share of problems but with companies like Tata which are notorious for their service, these issues become all the more important. Plus, I've another option which is an Ecosport, and that is quite an old product which will definitely not have any of such problems. !
Sanket, IMO you could just stick with the Ecosport. Why take the trouble with such notoreity and problems that Tata service offers you ? It will be so much trouble fighting with service persons for servicing your car.
condor is online now   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 13:58   #2726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I strongly believe that there is no place for jugaads like AMT in passenger cars, especially in premium hatchbacks. Once you have driven a proper automatic, any proper automatic, you'll never touch an AMT. It's that simple.
AMT is no jugaad, trust me. I drove Verna diesel AT, a torque converter (TC), and immediately Dzire diesel AMT, for the comparison sake. Trust me, AMT is not bad at all. You feel shift-ups a little more than in TC, but only very very slightly ( at least in Dzire diesel) so much so that if you are not a car enthusiast and if you don't strain your perceptory senses for it, you won't feel the difference. On the plus side, AMT offers better FE, as there is less slippage, AND also offers better acceleration due to less slippage.

Coming to Kwid AMT, most petrol hatchbacks are dud to drive to start with, with weak engine. So, no matter which gearbox, DSG/CVT/TC/AMT you add, performance will be weak owing to weak engine to start with. Not AMTs fault. If Dzire diesel AMT is any indication, then I'm sure Nexon AMT would be very good to drive. Don't forget the high torque of diesel engines.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 18:45   #2727
BHPian

Hey guys, saw this video showing the de of Nexon Diesel. Looks like it would be an excellent highway cruiser with the power and fe.

Sam_GTR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 20:10   #2728
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like He is still in 5th gear. Wonder what will the FE show as, if he were in 6th ??
Old 2nd October 2017, 20:20   #2729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Looks like He is still in 5th gear. Wonder what will the FE show as, if he were in 6th ??
I guess he has downshifted or upshifted to 5th gear before taking the video. Speed shown is 60-70kmph. I am pretty sure the person might be driving in 5th and 6th most of the time during this run. This is the fuel efficiency recorded by the car, which may or may not be accurate give and take 2kms on-off their. The instant fuel consumption is shown in the last cell box which is varying you can see it in the video.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 23:16   #2730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
I guess he has downshifted or upshifted to 5th gear before taking the video. Speed shown is 60-70kmph. I am pretty sure the person might be driving in 5th and 6th most of the time during this run. This is the fuel efficiency recorded by the car, which may or may not be accurate give and take 2kms on-off their. The instant fuel consumption is shown in the last cell box which is varying you can see it in the video.
Even at 140, I can show you 30 kmpl FE. The Visual, that is.

Don't worry about mileage. Tata gives a km or two less per litre of diesel.

Coupled with Tata offer of 45 K maintenance, it's cheaper nevertheless.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks