Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2017, 06:33   #2731
Senior - BHPian

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
My views might be distorted by my belief that no honest Automobile lover/enthusiast would pick an AT over a MT. But at the very least AMTs have removed taboo from the conversation about Automatics.
That is what I thought up to 5 years ago; the city mess has made me a full convert to autoboxes, and I will not now buy a car in India that does not have one. Just like the first car I bought new in 1992 was the last one I bought without an A/C.

I really don't care what tech is used; I just don't want to suffer jerks due to noticeable gear changes as I don't changing manually. And I doubt that the Hexa autobox on the 4x2 version is as expensive as is thought. Some loss of FE to pay for quality changes is acceptable.

For now, Nexon is ruled out as far as I am concerned. Pity, because it looks like a great car for Indian roads.

Last edited by Sawyer : 3rd October 2017 at 06:35.
Old 3rd October 2017, 09:24   #2732

Went to the showroom a week ago to checkout the Nexon---

The car if superbly built, cheers to Tata, may they have a lot of "sales filled" months ahead.

I kept my iPhone 6S Plus on top of the tambour slide cover and found it to be perfect default space for my phone, no two ways about it.."pair it and leave it" convenience

Back seat can definitely seat three adults...again, no two ways about it.

For years, I have been seeing known automakers selling us cars for 10 bucks when it was only actually worth 6 or 8. Now for the first time, I have come across a car that is "more car per car" in every sense...

I wish and hope that Tata get phenomenal success for the hard work they have put in through the last four years (remembering the 1.7 Million kms and URO sightings we have had people report here at Team-BHP )

May all the designers and engineers at Tata be happy and smiling this season for the turnaround they have achieved (from a do or die Tiago) and their family be proud.

Disclaimer: I am not employed with Tata and I do not own a Tata car "yet"..but my next car is defenity a Tata (if not EV).
simplehuman is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 11:15   #2733
BHPian

Spotted this test car with a XZR variant badge. I did not find it in the official variant listing. It might be a new variant that Tata is testing. This one has a smart grey ceramic line going round the car which in my opinion looks far better than the white which looks out of place.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_7979.jpg

There was a time when all vehicles coming out of Tata looked like Indica. That was one of the reasons why all of them failed to reach their potential. Now, I am afraid to same story is being repeated with all vehicles looking like a variant of Tiago. Let's hope I am wrong.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd October 2017 at 16:18. Reason: Watermarking picture. Thanks!
feluda86 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 11:26   #2734
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Spotted this test car with a XZR variant badge. I did not find it in the official variant listing.
It is the XZA spec, which is likely the XZ spec with AMT. The red Trade Plates indicate that the AMT version is being tested and will be launched soon. Nice Catch.
//M is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 14:47   #2735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
There was a time when all vehicles coming out of Tata looked like Indica. That was one of the reasons why all of them failed to reach their potential. Now, I am afraid to same story is being repeated with all vehicles looking like a variant of Tiago. Let's hope I am wrong.
Distinctive styling is a part of branding that all automakers are aware of such as the BMW's distinctive kidney grille that manifests all its models. Mercedes, VW, Toyota, Audi, Rolls Royce, all of them follow a distinctive styling regardless of model/variant because they know the customers are after their signature style.

The contrary i.e. you lose too for the same reasons . If this is the case and the automakers realizes it, then it makes sense to change the signature to something that seems to work well.
Thermodynamics is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 16:18   #2736
Distinguished - BHPian

I used to think that the Brezza has the "tallest" sides of the rear bumper. From the mud-flap till the tail lamps. There is no metal outside. Its pure ABS bumper. The Nexon beats it I think. Just how tall is that ABS bumper . More than 2 feet I'm sure.

I love the unique way in which they have integrated the rear reflector plates vertically besides the black horizontal part of the rear bumper. Tasteful detailing.

And so the XZA test mules are now being seen. Maybe asking for too much to hope it gets launched before Diwali? (I'm not a prospective buyer of it!)
Old 3rd October 2017, 16:29   #2737
Distinguished - BHPian

The next Nexon Skill Arena experience is all set to roll out at Gurugram from 7th to 8th October at Leisure Valley Parking Ground, Sector 29, Near Crowne Plaza.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img20171002wa0049.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 18:49   #2738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tata Motors, which saw a lukewarm response to its products launched in the previous fiscal like Bolt, Hexa, Zest, etc., has finally hit the jackpot with its recently released Nexon compact SUV. If dealer sources are to be believed, the new is now commanding a waiting period of up to 6-8 weeks cutting across all trims and variants.
Source

Last edited by sdp1975 : 3rd October 2017 at 18:54.
sdp1975 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 20:37   #2739
Senior - BHPian

Tata's compact SUV, the Nexon. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

I had a brief look at the Nexon in a showroom and like most people mention, the car is way ahead of the Brezza in terms of feel good factor. The car feels well built and the interiors are a notch above its class. I have not travelled in an Ecosport extensively hence I could not say if the Nexon was better than that and plus the refreshed Ecosport is around the corner, so may be ford will surprise us a bit.
Anyway, irrespective of what people say about fit and finish, I think Tata is somewhere now between Maruti, Honda and Hyundai.

However, I must say that the Most impressive vehicle from Tata has to be the Hexa, I took a brief test drive for a colleague and it floored me totally! Very well built, almost giving the Europeans the run for their money ( no direct European rival in that segment at the moment though)

Last edited by motorworks : 3rd October 2017 at 20:39.
motorworks is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 00:12   #2740
Senior - BHPian

I checked out the Nexon and like the car.I'm in the market for a petrol car and when i was firm with this intent i haven't heard from the dealer ever since. Maybe they want me to make a deposit on a petrol Nexon without experiencing it's performance on the road. I will not do that and i insist on a test drive before purchasing a car.

My Maruti dealer has made me an exchange offer on the Dzire but when i told him i want to wait on the new Swift he told me he'll make me the best offer for exchange at that time and promised to call. He did last time and i bought the Maruti car that is due for change.

I test drove the diesel Nexon. I don't like diesels. Thank you. I'm a petrolhead and please , TATA Motors cater to my needs too if you want me as a customer.

Last edited by nickatnite : 4th October 2017 at 00:14.
Old 4th October 2017, 00:18   #2741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by uday.ere View Post
Now we have a couple of Interior pics of the Nexon AMT.
Source credit : Prabhagar from TAI.

As can be seen from these pics and those by RavenAvi, the AMT (XZA?) misses out on Push-button start stop and sliding cover over the cup holders and possibly the Arm rest and rear AC Vents as well. Rear wash / wiper on the exterior and possibly the full LED cluster of the XZ+

Any idea when is Automatic being launched?
Old 4th October 2017, 00:39   #2742
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
I checked out the Nexon and like the car.I'm in the market for a petrol car and when i was firm with this intent i haven't heard from the dealer ever since. Maybe they want me to make a deposit on a petrol Nexon without experiencing it's performance on the road. I will not do that and i insist on a test drive before purchasing a car.
Petrol is Nexon's achilles heel. I also had to insist a lot to get TD of petrol, and found it to be quite inadequate. I had posted my observations few pages back.

I think the best petrol engine in this segment would be between WR-V and Ecosport, and Ecosport might win it. Nexon is quite a long way back compared to these 2. Hell, I would take the now price reduced i20 Active over Nexon petrol engine.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 00:57   #2743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetghai1978 View Post
Any idea when is Automatic being launched?
First half of 2018. The XZA variant is still under extensive testing.

Here's a fresh spyshot of the Nexon AMT test mules from earlier today, courtesy my good friend Autospy at Pune.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img20171003wa0076.jpg

And, seems like some people are still skeptical about the Nexon despite it's long list of positives. Just watch this "review" video till the end (it's in Hindi):

Last edited by RavenAvi : 4th October 2017 at 01:23. Reason: minor typo.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 06:05   #2744
Senior - BHPian

Can't call this a review by any stretch of imagination. He says positive things throughout and is clearly in awe, but at the end does a complete U turn and talks about the history to bring it down. How will any Company move forward? A sting was not required at all.

Wish Tata Motors showed enough confidence and gave him a proper Nexon to do his bit. The car will shine through on its own merit.

Attachment 1682060And, seems like some people are still skeptical about the Nexon despite it's long list of positives.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 13:34   #2745
Distinguished - BHPian

Okay, so took my Vista to new Concorde workshop in Pune (Tathawade) as apparently my preferred place (Pandit Auto) has shut shop!! The same experience - waiting for an SA to meet for about 15 minutes, getting a free coffee, then the SA talking on his phone to someone else while I sat at his desk. But then thats Concorde for you. I'll document the whole experience separately in my thread.

After dropping the car for service, went into the showroom which I have to say - may appear closed from outside. No rush at all. No hype of such exciting products being offered. Here is the experience in a nutshell -
  1. New showroom is very bright & airy but still boring thanks to layout and overall lack of bling in interiors.
  2. Staff is not arrogant. But they don't seem excited to make any sale at all. Its as if they wanted a job at Maruti but settled for the offer they got from Concorde instead. No doubt about it.
  3. There is a 2 lakh kms run Safari DICOR in the showroom for pre-owned sale. But there is NO STORME!!! The sales lady openly said "we'll keep only vehicles that are going to sell sir". I was heartbroken already.
  4. Tiago Wizz looks wonderful in person & Tigor still looks the best CS. I'd say the Tigor's doors were feeling more solid in closing than the Nexon's.
  5. A HEXA AT was on display & it still has the same massive design flaw of the ARIA. Me at 6'3" CANNOT drive it. My long stork legs get jammed against the dashboard and I cannot move them at all!!! Shocker.
  6. No Zest, Bolt, SUMO in the showroom at all.
  7. As customary with the Concorde showroom in Pune - not a single sales executive was interested in talking to me. Not a single one offered me a test drive at all. I felt desperately sorry for Tata motors right there.
  8. And then the star of the moment - the NEXON.

I sat in it for the first time today. As I had expected coming from a Vista, I don't find it extraordinarily spacious at all. Its as if I sat in a Vista with exceptionally good quality materials, fit, finish & features. I'll not mention anything about the features and the stuff as a lot is already said. All the good mentioned by fellow BHPIANS is true & takes quality, fit and finish to an unknown level in this price bracket.

Instead I'll put down some little bits that I checked.
  • The white "porcelain" strip's plastic quality is appalling and it looks extremely cheap up close. The sooner TML takes this off - the better. It looks CHEAP - there is no word for it. And touch it - it feels CHEAPER.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_20171004_112448.jpg
  • I did not like the positioning of the front indicators - above the headlamp cluster and in the same plane as the bonnet. People (service guys, cleaners and people who like to touch other people's cars while talking on phone) are bound to make a mess of this plastic bit.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_20171004_113628.jpg

• The wiper detailing is top notch. Exceptional quality & attention to aerodynamics is superb.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_20171004_113509.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_20171004_113544.jpg
  • Rear seat is flip, tumble & full fold. No doubt about it. At least in the XZ+.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_20171004_112351.jpg
  • I found my best driving position fastest in this car & I have been in a huge list of cars. This is the best take-away from the Nexon for me. No doubt. Good position (still a bit lower though), airy cabin & excellent all round view.
  • With its tiny rear overhang + huge GC + wide tires, the Nexon is going to have a spray of water behind it like F1 cars in Malaysia! Those behind it will surely hate this car the most. No mud-flap is going to stop this. Please ignore the panel gap of the hatch. The hatch is open & not shut properly.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_20171004_113401.jpg

• Engine bay is very well laid out & nicely put together. Quality & fit is top notch inside. Visibly no expenses spared here. AMARON battery.
  • Intercooler is placed very forward. Just about 2 inches between it and an impact. The air-dam design is such that it will never block any rocks or stones flying from front vehicles from impacting the intercooler.
  • There is plenty space available in the engine bay for all your customization. Bring on the aux lamps, bi-xenon fog lamps.
  • Yes - you can replace headlamp bulbs yourself without visiting a service station in 5 minutes. Thanks Tata!
  • Every panel - be it large or small plastic piece, has a lot of complex detailing & angles. Very tasteful. And with all that - the panel gaps & joint alignments are very well made.
  • The now discontinued SEDAN CLASS Vista had a lot more solid feel in door closing thud. No doubt about that. So it seems some weight has been shed in sheet metal here.

The all important OTR pricing for PUNE -
I'm disgusted to see inflated handling charges and insurance numbers in Concorde showroom. A showroom that always has more staff than customers. Even now. Great way to make a sale
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img_20171004_124546.jpg

The million dollar question - I have a 7 year old Vista that is obviously showing that much age. Generally about time when people start thinking of a change. Would I upgrade to a Nexon? I'm surprised myself that my answer here will be "NO". I get a lot with my Vista that I bought for only 5L OTR in 2010. I don't think paying a good 11L is getting me so much more than it for taking the plunge. The Nexon is an awesome package for new car buyers or for those with smaller existing cars.

I won't be surprised if number of existing Tata car owners upgrading to Nexon is very low.

Last edited by Reinhard : 4th October 2017 at 13:55. Reason: Removed sales person phone details.
Reinhard is offline   (13) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks