Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2017, 00:54   #2836
BHPian

Re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Just saw a brand new Nexon in Lalpur, Ranchi and I have to say that it does looks striking. It's not very huge or small but has a very distinctive personality which helps it stand out on the road. I atleast saw 4-5 people on bikes and other cars turning their heads to have a good look at Nexon. A great effort from TATA and I wish it all the success.
Old 8th October 2017, 07:19   #2837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm97 View Post
However, once had to apply sudden brake in third gear and rpm fell below 1400. The engine shown reluctance to pick-up from there and had to downshift to second. So, lag is not exactly absent.
As you have said, the petrol mill will do it's job, but during running it has that slight NVH which is normally not there with petrol engines. Regarding the gear change you mentioned, 1400 is outside the turbo range, and in this case a little below what the 3rd gear could manage. However, selecting the right gear will take care of things, as with any manual transmission car.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 08:46   #2838
Senior - BHPian

Mine was among the first to hit the road. In fact full payment was done the day it hit the showroom. No delays! I surveyed every dealer and zeroed in on the colour I liked the most Glasgow Grey. Few dealerships had it in white and some in Red and Blue.

Glasgow Grey seems to be the most in demand colour surprisingly outstripping White, even. Red is Dead. So is Silver, I'm told. Few have even opted for Blue.

It's eminently noticeable on the street and is distinct from any other car. You can say from far that it's a Nexon! People throng the car wherever I park, and ask questions especially on mileage. Its annoying at times but understandable. The engine is beautiful and pulls like a beast. Music system is close to the B&O I'm used to, and one of the best in the market today. Sound stage is great.

Regarding service I think Tata is leaving no stone upturned to ensure this particular model is a success. I had the most fantastic response to any small niggle I reported and everyone was eager to help. Only time will tell if this decision was the right one, but I feel it's very important you zero in on a dealership that cares. In my case Aadya, Hebbal.
Attached Thumbnails
The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-nexon5283.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 10:34   #2839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The market has moved from sedans to SUVs and Crossovers. Next big shift will be towards electric vehicles. Mails are never acknowledged. And everything is forwarded to the dealer to handle. The other companies move heaven and earth to resolve any minor irritant, and someone always call from the regional office. Not here. There is no contact point, so this gets little getting used to. Hope somebody at Tata Motors is reading, and corrects this! It's a mystery to me, how they work.
Try reaching out to them on their Twitter handle. Response would be immediate
Old 8th October 2017, 12:19   #2840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Arjab, when you say space, would like to know where does S-Cross score over the Nexon.

Space inside the Nexon is good, hardly any difference where seats are concerned.

Boot Space ? S-Cross is 353, and Nexon is 350 litres

Engine Capacity ? Nexon's 1.5 litre, 260Nm compared to the 1.3 litre / 200 Nm of the S-Cross

Width ? Height ? All there.

Ok, price wise, not as much as the S-Cross

So now wondering where did the additional 300mm length of the S-Cross go ? Can even ask, what did Maruti / Suzuki do with that extra length ?

The Nexon's design is too good! The car gives so much within that compact size, and at a much lesser price than it's competitors.

When a person says "much more accomplished car", it would indicate actual and sufficient ownership of both cars, over time, distance, terrain etc. Here, I see neither .. or do you have a S-Cross ? My response to your post is not about you, but to say that reviews are just reviews beyond a point. I dont think even those people who posted those reviews have that much experience to make that statement. If not owning the S-Cross, they dont have the Nexon yet.
Well said! I see it everywhere. No matter how much Tata cars improve, other cars are always "much more sorted", "light years ahead", "in a different league", "more rounded product". Tata cars are always "no where near competition", "does not tug at heart strings" . I'm really sick of these adjectives. No car is light years ahead of no car these days. Unless one compares a bare-bone hatchback to a Rolls Royce. Rivals of same class are very closely matched to one another. Just see the brigade of nay-sayers. If it's a Tata/Mahindra car, they put under microscope and do not rest until they find a small oddity and then they scream, "aha, found one. But for this, I would have bought this car." It's a different matter that Tata/Mahindra offer their cars at a price other can never match. And even at that price, they generally have more features than competition. And also, never mind the fact that other brands also do have shortcomings but we can happily live with that.
pgsagar is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 12:26   #2841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftagain View Post
Have driven my Nexon for about 350Kms now, some observations and updates:

I have made short video for the interiors which also shows the engine start needle max out.
Nice video! Love the way rpm and speedo needles takes the swipe.

BTW the key fob seems a little bulky. Is it so or is it due to the angle? Did you find any inconvenience carrying in your pockets?

Also can is the infotainment display permanently on? Can we switch it off without music being affected?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th October 2017 at 18:35. Reason: Removing youtube URL from quoted post (repetition).
Old 8th October 2017, 12:36   #2842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Well said! I see it everywhere. No matter how much Tata cars improve, other cars are always "much more sorted", "light years ahead", "in a different league", "more rounded product". Tata cars are always "no where near competition", "does not tug at heart strings" . I'm really sick of these adjectives. No car is light years ahead of no car these days. Unless one compares a bare-bone hatchback to a Rolls Royce. Rivals of same class are very closely matched to one another. Just see the brigade of nay-sayers. If it's a Tata/Mahindra car, they put under microscope and do not rest until they find a small oddity and then they scream, "aha, found one. But for this, I would have bought this car." It's a different matter that Tata/Mahindra offer their cars at a price other can never match. And even at that price, they generally have more features than competition. And also, never mind the fact that other brands also do have shortcomings but we can happily live with that.
So true. The other day I was reading a comparison of brezza and nexon by a journalist from popular auto magazine. He said he doesn't like the console of nexon because its too bland and then goes on to say that he likes the one on brezza because its simple. What??? People are heavily biased against Tata.
rascalangel is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 12:51   #2843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideRanger View Post
BTW the key fob seems a little bulky. Also is the infotainment display permanently on? Can we switch it off without music being affected?
To answer. Yeah the key fob looks bulky and isn't as well designed as rest of the car. Expected it to be sleeker. They MUST redesign this in Ver 2. I was surprised when I received it!

There's one guy who makes such fobs in Dubai, plan to ask him if he can help me out. Watch this space.

The infotainment display can be switched off, you can also set it as a digital clock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
No car is light years ahead of no car these days. Unless one compares a bare-bone hatchback to a Rolls Royce.
Well said. One must understand, it's not easy to make a diesel engine this competent. This is the best thing about the car. Maruti Suzuki have failed so has Honda (with its harshness). Even the petrol is very smooth, and is really impressive. I really liked it.

This could be a poster boy for a genuine MAKE IN INDIA effort. TM Team, take a bow! Can't understand why we run our own Companies down and side with foreign makes. One test drive is all it takes to lay doubts to rest. I put my money where my mouth is, and picked it up for the bargain it is!

Having said that, it's not with out its weaknesses. The electronics are 90 percent there, need some fine-tuning by the Tata team. I'm trying to locate the best person at Tata Motors to give feedback on this. More comfortable with mails than Tweets.

Anything to help them to take their efforts a notch up.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th October 2017 at 15:03. Reason: learn to use multi-quote feature
Sebring is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 13:11   #2844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Can you ask him to contact me as well? I wrote a lengthy email to two very very senior blokes in Tata regarding a local dealership. Not even an acknowledgement from them.
Hope you are not talking about Auto Industries. They are a joke. I don't know if they have a TD vehicle yet. Coudnt see one last week. Apparently Tata long back had put a advt for dealership in South Goa. Guess no one responded then.
rascalangel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 15:27   #2845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Can you ask him to contact me as well? I wrote a lengthy email to two very very senior blokes in Tata regarding a local dealership. Not even an acknowledgement from them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post
Hope you are not talking about Auto Industries. They are a joke. I don't know if they have a TD vehicle yet. Coudnt see one last week. Apparently Tata long back had put a advt for dealership in South Goa. Guess no one responded then.
I guess all over India Tata is improving their sales and service by leaps and bounds but here in Goa it's still in a time warp. One of the main reasons we went with the Xuv instead of the hexa and my aunt with the wrv instead of the nexon.
Both the North and South Goa dealers are about average in sales and service, though they have improved slightly in sales since their nuvem showroom was renovated but still a long way to go. I am still waiting to hear many good stories like what I read from other dealers in other parts of India.

Coming to the nexon, it Seems to be a fabulous package with the slight negatives being its quirky style ( love or hate) and impractical variant positioning. XE is too bare bones but has safety and the XT makes no sense over the XM for the price difference.
Exciting times for tata and I hope they find success.
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 19:19   #2846
BHPian

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-9ea0d84210904261b542adb9a4981878.jpeg

Found this on Twitter I wonder which engine they are referring to.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 19:46   #2847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I guess all over India Tata is improving their sales and service by leaps and bounds but here in Goa it's still in a time warp. One of the main reasons we went with the Xuv instead of the hexa and my aunt with the wrv instead of the nexon.
Both the North and South Goa dealers are about average in sales and service, though they have improved slightly in sales since their nuvem showroom was renovated but still a long way to go. I am still waiting to hear many good stories like what I read from other dealers in other parts of India.

Coming to the nexon, it Seems to be a fabulous package with the slight negatives being its quirky style ( love or hate) and impractical variant positioning. XE is too bare bones but has safety and the XT makes no sense over the XM for the price difference.
Exciting times for tata and I hope they find success.
At least I hoped the north one was better than the one in south. Heard horror stories about Auto Ind. Apparently there service engineers change every month or so.Sad that you went for xuv over hexa. Really like the hexa.
rascalangel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 20:09   #2848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Attachment 1683588

Found this on Twitter I wonder which engine they are referring to.
Their own pick for Nexon is 1.5D XM variant. Logically, the views should be based on that.

Let every reviewer enjoy the right of opinion.

Last edited by rsm97 : 8th October 2017 at 20:11.
Old 8th October 2017, 20:14   #2849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post
At least I hoped the north one was better than the one in south. Heard horror stories about Auto Ind. Apparently there service engineers change every month or so.Sad that you went for xuv over hexa. Really like the hexa.
My uncle bought Hexa from Auto industries. After the initial hickups, rest of the stuff was well handled by Sales guy called Mcllooyd.

Btw we all should meet. I'm GA08 too
akshay380 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2017, 20:17   #2850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideRanger View Post
Nice video! Love the way rpm and speedo needles takes the swipe.

BTW the key fob seems a little bulky. Is it so or is it due to the angle? Did you find any inconvenience carrying in your pockets?

Also can is the infotainment display permanently on? Can we switch it off without music being affected?

The key fob size is ok similar to that of I20. I have 6 keys with that key fob and they make the most of the bulk in my pocket . There is a whole booklet which is of the same size as the car manual for the touch screen system. Haven't had time to look at options available.
driftagain is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks