Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2016, 10:23   #211
Team-BHP Support

Tata's compact SUV, the Nexon

After seeing the Tiago last weekend- I'm looking forward to the launch of Nexon.

Interior quality and finish is really impressive. Not just for a TATA, but it felt nearly Hyundai good. There are several areas in the car which my Xcent will struggle to beat. The Punto falls far behind, except when it comes to build quality.

Audio- Class act. Don't think any other car made in India sounds this good in audio department. And I was hearing radio! My Punto has almost INR 80k invested on audio and yet- I feel if I had the Tiago instead, I would just probably keep it stock.

Quality of chrome treatment inside. Door handles etc. Feels better than Xcent and similar to i20 levels. The glove box opening with button and the soft release is again way ahead in quality and feel.

Seats- nice and soft. You sink in, but once you sink in it seems to hug you properly. After the S Cross, this is one driver seat that made me feel bad about Punto once I hopped back in.

The layout of the console and the generous use of gloss and Matt touches. Nice. Looks better than Xcent, but Hyundai had better finish. Anyways, not a fair comparison, but just telling that TATA has never been this good!

I feel it's a really good car.

And... Need to see how TATA ups with game with Nexon. It is ugly as I've mentioned in this thread before as well, but if audio is this good and the interior quality is even better - I might even think of buying one provided the diesel engine is good, develops atleast a 100 houses and has basic and useful features like cruise control etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
What are you saying man? In my father's Zest, we 6 have travelled for about 200km, though it was only once.

Understandable since Zest is based on the old Vista platform. However, the new Tiago is too narrow at the rear to seat five in any sort of comfort.

From the Autocar preview of the Nexon- it doesn't seem to have any such issues.

Last edited by GTO : 28th April 2016 at 10:29. Reason: No inappropriate words please (fugly). Thanks!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th April 2016, 00:52   #212

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
After seeing the Tiago last weekend...doesn't seem to have any such issues.
where did you come across Autocar's preview? they've been tweeting about it, but the video isn't out yet.
they aren't even replying to my tweets about it !
There has been no other car in recent times that I'm so excited to read about!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 27th April 2016 at 01:24. Reason: Please do not quote entire large posts when replying. It inconveniences our small screen and mobile users.
Old 27th April 2016, 01:42   #213
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardyk2010 View Post
where did you come across Autocar's preview?

I was talking about the Auto Expo preview where Autocar alone seems to have got exclusive video of the interiors. Looked wide enough with Renuka from Autocar seated at the rear.

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2016, 14:06   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I was talking about the Auto Expo preview where Autocar alone seems to have got exclusive video of the interiors. Looked wide enough with Renuka from Autocar seated at the rear.
Thoroughly impressed with that from Tata. Impeccable design & very modern interiors usually seen on the Mercs and BMWs. Looking forward to see how it generates sales for the Tatas.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th April 2016 at 16:14. Reason: Removing URL from quoted post. Thanks :)
Old 28th April 2016, 14:14   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
What are you saying man? In my father's Zest, we 6 have travelled for about 200km, though it was only once.
Ge drove, my mother occupied the front passenger seat. I, my wife and my two elder sisters were joyfully comfortable in the rear seat. I am 6' 1", the only tall person in the family, but still.
Last autumn, we 4 adults + 2 kids below 10 did a Chennai - Coorg - Chennai drive over a week, absolutely comfortable in the rear seat. They slept comfortably for much of the way, AC cooled brilliantly & it took the hills & potholes easily.

My dad hated long drives before the Zest, making me regret why I didnt invest in better cars earlier.
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2016, 15:25   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaddy View Post
Nexon spotted in parking lot along with Kite Sedan and Zest.

Attachment 1499480

Source
The crescent headlamps on the Zest brings a concern that Tata is not doing away with the Manza reference.

Zest needs a new face to push the sales up
Old 4th May 2016, 15:14   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

The Nexon SUV has been spotted during one of it's testing runs on the highways near Pune by the Rush Lane team.

Sporting makeshift headlamps, the Nexon is speculated to be coming with a 1.2L Revotron petrol unit borrowed from the Zest, and an all-new 1.5L Revotorq diesel engine.

The EcoSport/Brezza competitor might be launched by Tata Motors by end-2016/early 2017.

RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 00:01   #218
BHPian

Tata's compact SUV, the Nexon

The Nexon along with recently launched Tiago as well the Kite5 might bring back good glory days for TATA. But the key would be to launch them at the earliest before the market gets saturated with other players. Wishing TATA the very best and hoping to see Nexon launched before the end of the year.

I've been looking for a new car for almost 8 months now and still can't find the right one. I followed Creta and got quite excited until the launch where it broke my heart with hefty price tag. As the time progressed that price kept going up north of my affordable range. Then started to follow Brezza. The exterior images really got me excited. This time around pricing seemed alright. But the interiors, the Driveability and no petrol was a disappointment. Now the next couple of ones on the list are Nexon and Facelifted Ecosport. Hopefully both these are launched before the end of the year and I wish they satisfy my requirements without breaking the bank. The others on my list are Tiago, Figo and so on. By now you might've understood that I'm not looking for sedans and I'm leaning towards hatchbacks or SUV (pseudos are also acceptable).

Last edited by thatsdileep : 5th May 2016 at 00:03.
thatsdileep is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 11:13   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

First look review of the Tata Nexon, courtesy ACI.

The crossover SUV looks the best in style compared to it's in-segment peers, IMO (EcoSport owners might debate this). A distinctive coupe-ish style, it lends the SUV a character of it's own when viewed from the side & the rear. Big, muscular wheel arches shod with 16-inch alloys and 215-section fat rubbers make the Nexon look butch as well.

On the inside, space seems to be ample with plenty of headroom and shoulder-room, and bolstered under-thigh support for all seats. That being said, it seems like Tata's designers had the nuclear families firmly planted in their minds because the rear seat looks like a real, tough squeeze for the 3rd passenger, who won't be comfortable sitting on the edges of either seat on both sides + that rear AC vent console jutting forward and digging into his legs! The high transmission hump won't help matters, either.

Check out the huge 6.5-inch Harman Infotainment touchscreen-based system which makes the dash stand out. Also notable is the rotary knob for selecting multi-drive modes - a nice, premium touch.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-20160506121931_1.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-20160506121931_2.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-20160506121932_5.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-20160506121933_6.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-20160506121933_7.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-20160506121933_8.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-20160506121935_14.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-20160506121936_16.jpg

Quote:
The ubiquitous 89bhp Fiat 1.3 Multijet diesel was deemed underpowered for a compact SUV, and instead, the Nexon will get a newly developed 1.5-litre diesel developing around 110bhp. This motor is essentially a scaled-up or four-cylinder version of the Tiago’s 1.05-litre, three-cylinder unit, which makes it easy to produce on a common production line.
The Nexon’s petrol engine will be a turbo-charged version of the Tiago’s three-cylinder, 1.2-litre all-aluminium unit which boosts power to a healthy 110bhp.
An all-new six-speed gearbox to cope with the higher torque has been developed along with an Automated Manual Transmission (AMT). Hence, it is likely that both the petrol and diesel Nexons will be offered with an automatic option at launch.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 8th May 2016 at 11:26.
RavenAvi is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 11:52   #220
Senior - BHPian

Seems like a well designed vehicle. I just hope the engines can be as good as the look of the Nexon. Tata would surely generate a lot of interest with this car as also the Tiago ! Way to go TATA.
Ricky_63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2016, 19:23   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
First look review of the Tata Nexon
Thanks for the link!

I'm not sure about the ceramic elements, but the interiors and engines are fantastic. If they manage Zest like quality interiors or better, Tata will have a winner. That drive mode selector knob looks like it belongs in a Jag as the pop up gear knob

Just give the people the option to choose ceramic highlights or mostly black with some chrome.

Superb design and the engine options are delicious. Hope the petrol doesn't have a pronounced lag, because I'm not into Diesel's much. Cheers Tata!
VeluM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 08:47   #222
Senior - BHPian

Looks good. Nexon sure looks better than how it did in the stands at AutoExpo.

The interior looks well appointed too. Those seats look very inviting all around.

I really liked Tiago’s 3 cylinder engine, the NVH was good. Hopefully, adding one more cylinder will bring the much needed thrust as well. Nexon will need it.
Old 10th May 2016, 08:52   #223
Senior - BHPian

A really well designed car indeed. I just hope Tata takes care of relatively chintzy details like the Nexon branded button to open the glovebox. A classy unobtrusive button like the Tiago would do just fine.

I feel the Nexon could give the EcoSport a jolly well run for its money even in advanced markets like Australia.
Old 19th May 2016, 16:57   #224
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Varun Bhatia for sharing! He caught the Tata Nexon in his hometown of Jaisalmer.

Varun says that test mules in Jaisalmer generally arrive during the summer for testing of the air-conditioner in extremely (hot) temperatures.

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img20160519wa0010.jpg

The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs-img20160519wa0011.jpg
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 18:37   #225
BHPian

Looking at the interiors, somehow I'm reminded of certain BMW's in terms of the way the A/C vents are designed.

The interiors and exteriors look fantastic, If Tata can make the quality levels close to those that Hyundai maintains, I will definitely be considering this as an option by the end of next year when I'm in the market for a relatively high riding car.

It may even manage to prise me away from my current favourite contender, the S Cross.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks