Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2017, 10:56   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
Government of Karnataka where Toyota is based in encouraging GOI to implement this. I agree Maruti milked out the hybrid definition and fooled people and the GOI but that doesn't mean you penalise the entire category. It means you penalise Maruti. Anyways let's hope saner minds prevail otherwise this fight against pollution and going green ain't going forward.
GST is for entire country. They can't penalize maruti or Mahindra alone. Government is making sure that others are not following the trail. We all know that many manufacturers are awaiting to launch mild hybrid cars. Many of us shown our frustrations in various threads for launching mild hybrid cars. Now things are changing and it's been aligned to proper hybrid cars. Let's have some patience, thing's will fall in right place soon. :thumbup:
GRAND23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 11:09   #317
BHPian

Re: GST effect on car prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/59101406.cms

So the Finance Minister IS educated, very well educated! now all those who bought SHVS Ertigas and Micro hybrid Scorpios and claim they saved the earth, please raise your hands and walk out of the classroom one by one :-)
yaaay for you! So, why not include a specific GST rate for proper hybrids?

Hybrids and taxes have been around for more than a decade now.
Old 12th June 2017, 11:17   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
GST is for entire country. They can't penalize maruti or Mahindra alone. Government is making sure that others are not following the trail. We all know that many manufacturers are awaiting to launch mild hybrid cars. Many of us shown our frustrations in various threads for launching mild hybrid cars. Now things are changing and it's been aligned to proper hybrid cars. Let's have some patience, thing's will fall in right place soon. :thumbup:
Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
yaaay for you! So, why not include a specific GST rate for proper hybrids?

Hybrids and taxes have been around for more than a decade now.
This will happen. We are in good hands (Gadkari + Jaitley)
Old 12th June 2017, 11:20   #319
BANNED

Now the marketing gimmicks of a few manufacturers, i guess to exploit the odd-even rule in Delhi are coming to haunt the entire industry. I think the Govt should have come down like a ton of bricks on the perpetrators.
Old 12th June 2017, 15:18   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
We are in good hands (Gadkari + Jaitley)
Empty reputations don't matter. Actions do.

It would have made sense if the GST was based on actual meaningful measures like CO2/Nitrous/Sulphur emissions, rather than the obsolete 1200cc petrol/1500cc diesel & 4m length/170mm GC norms.

Let's face it. These people are just as clueless and incompetent as their predecessors, except for their social media persona.
ashwin489 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 15:56   #321
BHPian

I am of the view here that yes Hybrid norms were exploited by Maruti, and M & M and others but does that mean that just because one apple is rotten we view the whole basket as rotten ?

You simplify your definitions you get rid of this ridiculous sub 4 m and engine size nonsense. You remove ambiguities in your legal writing and then you see which manufacturer is flouting the rules and you penalise the ones flouting it or misusing it.

Toyota Prius, Camry Hybrid and Accord Hybrid are the genuine hybrids, maruti svhs is total nonsense rubbish meant to save a few thousands and find a way around the ambiguous definitions.

I dont think Mr. Gadkari or Mr. Jaitley are bothered and or genuinely proper informed. Mr. Jaitley has said my tax officials have done a survey and im sure they must have but have they done the survey that the Toyota Camry Hybrid and Prius are genuine Hybrids and not some gimmicky nonsense like the maruti svhs ? I seriously doubt that.

Fingers crossed but the fight against green mobility and pollution just went down a notch. Maybe they want us to jump directly from petrol diesel to electric. who knows. lets hope for the best.

I expect a 5 lac increase in the price of the camry hybrid come july 1. Whoever wants to buy one please do so now.

Now Toyota which was considering the introduction of the Hybrid Corolla will cancel that immediately because no one in their right mind will pay 35 lacs on road mumbai for a hybrid corolla and would be more than happy to settle for a petrol for 25 on road.

Last edited by M00M : 12th June 2017 at 15:58.
Old 12th June 2017, 16:52   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post

Let's face it. These people are just as clueless and incompetent as their predecessors, except for their social media persona.
Let's just say that this govt caught the SHVS and Mirco-hybrid nonsense and used the GST opportunity to clean it up. Even the bhpeans were not aware of this until Time of India news was published. This shows who is more clueless - bhpeans or the govt :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post

I dont think Mr. Gadkari or Mr. Jaitley are bothered and or genuinely proper informed. Mr. Jaitley has said my tax officials have done a survey and im sure they must have but have they done the survey that the Toyota Camry Hybrid and Prius are genuine Hybrids and not some gimmicky nonsense like the maruti svhs ? I seriously doubt that.
Everyone has a right to his own doubts. Even i was wondering why they increased tax on hybrids in the GST era, the Time Of India news gave me the comfort that they actually have done their analysis (right or wrong, complete or incomplete) and they have mentioned a very objective reason for pulling the plug on the tax breaks. I feel they will further amend the rules to distinguish between genuine hybrids and the rest. We will see.
anandpadhye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 20:48   #323
BHPian

Let's keep politics out of this. The implementation is going to affect (positively and adversely) some number of manufacturers.

What I really care for is the usage of the GST for our betterment. The current convoluted structure definitely has the potential for artificial math / tax evasion. Not saying that the bean counters will not find a way around GST but it will be tougher.

My concern has always been that the government collects crazy amount of taxes from individuals / corporates but the ground reality is that we are still dependent on archaic processes, systems and laws.

I can only hope they use their goodwill and majority to fundamentally change the motor laws and industry.
Old 12th June 2017, 21:47   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Let's keep politics out of this. The implementation is going to affect (positively and adversely) some number of manufacturers.

What I really care for is the usage of the GST for our betterment.
I completely agree that how the taxes are utilized is more important than the tax structure.

But, how do we discuss anything in its entirety without considering its socio-economic and political ramifications?

We all agree about citizens' contribution to the political discourse. But, then where do we talk about these issues?

FYI, I do not have any political affiliations or preferences.
Old 13th June 2017, 10:20   #325
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
........ Now things are changing and it's been aligned to proper hybrid cars. Let's have some patience, thing's will fall in right place soon. :thumbup:
Amen to this thought! I can't wait for it to take effect - M&M had a full hybrid Scorpio (Ni-metal hydride batteries, KERS, the works) way back in 2008 at the
Detroit SAE show: http://www.autocarpro.in/news-nation...ongress-08-530

By now they should have the state-of-the-art version ready - 9 years is a sufficiently long lead time. Assuming they are serious of course
Old 13th June 2017, 10:51   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Has anybody seen this article
http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com//...7001071&Mode=1
Seems like there is an omission towards car leasing under GST.
Double taxation seems unfair, given that most these people who are involved would be tax paying salaried class and it appears that it could include Ola and Uber drivers as well (who are already suffering). I think the Govt. will mostly provide a waiver for Pre-GST Leases or they should provide some formula using which the tax can could be calculated for pre-GST cars in an appropriate and more reasonable way. Especially for people who bought Large cars under lease, the impact would be huge
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 11:29   #327
BHPian

Removing my comments from this thread as it wasnt intended here. Mods please remove this post

Last edited by vin_b : 13th June 2017 at 11:34. Reason: Wrong post for this thread. Mods please remove my post
Old 13th June 2017, 13:23   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Double taxation seems unfair, given that most these people who are involved would be tax paying salaried class and it appears that it could include Ola and Uber drivers as well (who are already suffering). I think the Govt. will mostly provide a waiver for Pre-GST Leases or they should provide some formula using which the tax can could be calculated for pre-GST cars in an appropriate and more reasonable way. Especially for people who bought Large cars under lease, the impact would be huge
How about someone going to start a lease post 1st July? Lets say a car costing < 10 lacs. Will the company car lease policy turn out to be more expensive than what it used to be before?
Old 13th June 2017, 14:16   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
How about someone going to start a lease post 1st July? Lets say a car costing < 10 lacs. Will the company car lease policy turn out to be more expensive than what it used to be before?
Car Leasing will be more expensive than what it is today (Pre-GST) as compared to what it would be in the GST Regime. However, it would be a fair calculation given that the vehicle tax would include the appropriate GST number in it (28% or 43% based on the car type).

I think this was covered in an earlier post. Refer here: URL

Most Lease Companies such as LeasePlan are advising the people to take up delivery of the car post 01-Jul-2017 so that the issue of double taxation does not arise.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 20:35   #330
BHPian

GST roll out from July 1, don't be misled by delay rumours: Government

"The government on Tuesday emphasised that Good and Services Tax+ will be rolled out from July 1 and preparations are in full swing for its smooth implementation, as it sought to dispel rumours of a possible deferment"

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/59126807.cms

Most Viewed