Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2017, 13:04   #301
BHPian

Re: GST effect on car prices?

Knowledgeable car buyers will put off purchase plans till September to take advantage of the lower selling prices that car manufacturers are likely to pass on to consumers post GST implementation

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Rumour is that GST implementation has been put off till September. What happens now!!!!
bhpfaninblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 14:07   #302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Rumour is that GST implementation has been put off till September. What happens now!!!!
Rumours only in my opinion. There is a meeting tomorrow and in case it's delayed everyone will know. But given the size and efforts in transition, it will be unwise to postpone now. Apart from the IT/ operational challenges in Invoicing/ Accounting, I don't think there are any major issues left.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 15:48   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
That is not possible. It has to introduced before 01-09-2017, in any case. If not, the Constitution Amendment that has given birth to this tax, shall stand as null and void, and there would be no tax on anything at all!

Last edited by GTO : 12th June 2017 at 11:06. Reason: Typo :)
Old 10th June 2017, 16:27   #304
BHPian

Had a talk with local Hyundai dealer. Creta has a discount of 56k and Elantra diesel models upto 96k.
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2017, 17:24   #305
BHPian

The delay to September is possible but highly unlikely. They've ironed out most of the issues, and the rollout should go ahead as planned. Don't pay any heed to rumours unless the government confirms this themselves.
Old 10th June 2017, 19:36   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Had a talk with local Hyundai dealer. Creta has a discount of 56k and Elantra diesel models upto 96k.
Can you please clarify the location of the Hyundai dealer you are talking about.
Old 10th June 2017, 19:41   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsun View Post
Can you please clarify the location of the Hyundai dealer you are talking about.
Advaith Hyundai, Mysuru. I had expressed interest in the Elantra a month back. Today, the Sales representative had called to inform on the ongoing discounts apparently due to GST.
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2017, 01:56   #308
Senior - BHPian

Has anybody seen this article
http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com//...7001071&Mode=1
Seems like there is an omission towards car leasing under GST.
Old 11th June 2017, 07:36   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Has anybody seen this article
http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com//...7001071&Mode=1
Seems like there is an omission towards car leasing under GST.
The companies have just made a representation to the Govt seeking waiver for already running Lease agreements. However no ruling has come out againt this.
So no omission is there yet and the double taxation still holds.
Old 11th June 2017, 08:05   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
The companies have just made a representation to the Govt seeking waiver for already running Lease agreements. However no ruling has come out againt this.
So no omission is there yet and the double taxation still holds.

That is only for existing leases right? From what I understood if a lease starts post GST rollout this double taxation won't be there albeit a higher tax rate than now. It's like a maze. No clarity.
Old 11th June 2017, 22:45   #311
BHPian

GST on hybrid cars to remain the same. Penny wise pound foolish behaviour. You charge crazy tax on fuel and say buy a fuel efficient car but a fuel efficient hybrid is taxed crazily so I'm only left with buying a diesel pollution emitter. Disappointing behaviour from an educated finance minister
M00M is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th June 2017, 23:59   #312
BHPian

Unfortunately, education is not the antidote to hypocrisy or stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
GST on hybrid cars to remain the same. Penny wise pound foolish behaviour. Disappointing behaviour from an educated finance minister
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 10:16   #313
BHPian

Government doesn't want to encourage mild hybrid systems. But very soon, there will be a category defined by government for tax benefit of hybrid vehicles. I am sure government is thinking in all viewpoints. Please read this complete article.
http://m.timesofindia.com/business/i...w/59101406.cms
GRAND23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 10:32   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRAND23 View Post
Government doesn't want to encourage mild hybrid systems. But very soon, there will be a category defined by government for tax benefit of hybrid vehicles. I am sure government is thinking in all viewpoints. Please read this complete article.
http://m.timesofindia.com/business/i...w/59101406.cms

Government of Karnataka where Toyota is based in encouraging GOI to implement this. I agree Maruti milked out the hybrid definition and fooled people and the GOI but that doesn't mean you penalise the entire category. It means you penalise Maruti. Anyways let's hope saner minds prevail otherwise this fight against pollution and going green ain't going forward.
M00M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2017, 10:44   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M00M View Post
GST on hybrid cars to remain the same. Penny wise pound foolish behaviour. You charge crazy tax on fuel and say buy a fuel efficient car but a fuel efficient hybrid is taxed crazily so I'm only left with buying a diesel pollution emitter. Disappointing behaviour from an educated finance minister
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
Unfortunately, education is not the antidote to hypocrisy or stupidity.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/59101406.cms

"The stance came despite a strong pitch from states such as Karnataka, which argued for a reduction in the rate for hybrids. Karnataka is home to Toyota, which has been leading the fight for a lower levy for Camry and Prius. The finance ministry is, however, of the view that mild hybrids from the Maruti Suzuki and Mahindra stable were pocketing "undue gains", prompting Karnataka to suggest that a separate classification be made for "genuine" hybrid vehicles."

So the Finance Minister IS educated, very well educated! now all those who bought SHVS Ertigas and Micro hybrid Scorpios and claim they saved the earth, please raise your hands and walk out of the classroom one by one :-)
anandpadhye is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed