Team-BHP - Top 10 selling cars in the Top 10 cities of South India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Top 10 selling cars in the Top 10 cities of South India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/170504-top-10-selling-cars-top-10-cities-south-india.html)

Here is a number breakdown and analysis of the Top 10 selling cars in the Top 10 Cities of South India. (Source Data Link: Management Punditz )

Key Notes

Summary of All India Sales

Top 10 selling cars in the Top 10 cities of South India-salesallindia.jpg

South India Sales

Top 10 selling cars in the Top 10 cities of South India-salessouth.jpg

Bangalore Sales

Top 10 selling cars in the Top 10 cities of South India-salesbangalore.jpg

Chennai Sale

Top 10 selling cars in the Top 10 cities of South India-saleschennai.jpg

Hyderabad Sales

Top 10 selling cars in the Top 10 cities of South India-saleshyderabad.jpg

Kochi (Cochin) Sales

Top 10 selling cars in the Top 10 cities of South India-salescochin.jpg

Coimbatore Sales

Top 10 selling cars in the Top 10 cities of South India-salescoimbatoe.jpg

Few interesting differences in the south sales as compared to All India

Bangalore

Kerala- Cochin/Calicut/Trivandrum

Chennai
Hyderabad

Coimbatore

Source (Data): Management Punditz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajeevraj (Post 3853362)
Here is a number breakdown and analysis of the Top 10 selling cars in the Top 10 Cities of South India. (Source Data Link: Management Punditz )

Bangalore
[list][*]A city with quite a bit of deviation from national trends. Swift tops the charts[*]Alto- which is in the top 1-2 everywhere else is only in 7th place in Bangalore (2015)[*]Indica in 3rd place, Etios in 8th and Innova in 9th. Favorites of the taxi market. Not surprising considering the speed at which the Uber's and the Olas have expanded in Bangalore. The structured Airport taxi business and several Hotel launches also seem to contribute to this.[*]Etios is a favorite as an Airport Taxi as well as to ferry the visitors from the Hotels to their companies.[*]No sign of the Wagon R in Bangalore. Interesting point considering that it is present in all other cities. [*]Looking at just Oct 2015. Creta making a major impact. Not bad for a vehicle said to be expensive, that too in the state with highest taxes. In fact the Creta has sold more than the Alto in Oct 2015 in Bangalore.

[/url]

Very interesting article. Thanks much for the analysis. Very interesting buying trends across cities. Also brings to light the purchase power of people in those cities.
No surprise Swift is popular in Bangalore and that Altos and WagonRs are not the toppers! Every other car seen on roads is a Swift!

So should a manufacturer focus more of its marketing spend on markets it is already doing well in as it may be easier to grow further when it's vehicles are visible or should it focus on markets it is weak in as the potential is greater there?

Quote:

Quote:

No surprise Swift is popular in Bangalore and that Altos and WagonRs are not the toppers! Every other car seen on roads is a Swift!

Personally, I am glad that people are understanding the importance of safety kit and going in for higher variants. And slowly but surely, trend is shifting towards good looking affordable cars rather than just cheap offerings from Maruti.
Ironically, safety is still a premium feature on many of the Indian cars :Frustrati

Within Bangalore, I have also started noticing a lot more of the ZDI's, VDI with ABS, Celerio ZXI, etc on road compared to the LDIs & LXIs from the Maruti stable.clap:

Good compilation Rajeevraj . Will be interesting to see the number of automatics that are in these numbers - since all the top cities have insane traffic levels. Any breakdowns to that level?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaluJ (Post 3853572)
Good compilation Rajeevraj . Will be interesting to see the number of automatics that are in these numbers - since all the top cities have insane traffic levels. Any breakdowns to that level?

Nope, no breakdown to a variant level as of now. I assume it is data that will be available at the source and will be shared eventually.

In general, as has been shared by Maruti, 50-60% of Celerio sales are AMT. I would also assume a good percent of the City and Grand i10 sales will be AT. The X factor is the Alto. Sells in big numbers across cities, if a good percent of those is AT, it would definitely mean a major positive trend towards AT adoption.

Strangely i have rarely seen and Alto AMT in Bangalore, On the other hand almost every single Celerio I see is an AMT variant.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 3853391)
So should a manufacturer focus more of its marketing spend on markets it is already doing well in as it may be easier to grow further when it's vehicles are visible or should it focus on markets it is weak in as the potential is greater there?

Or,

Should manufacturers start looking at individual marketing strategies for each region. Clearly, and as this data highlights, buying trends vary across cities not just on the basis of tier classification but even within each tier, we observe a difference in market choices. I believe they already do seem to have region-specific newspaper advertisements; probably go further?

Such breakdown of data could go a long way in customizing marketing effort to capitalize on the popularity of a model. I'd imagine manufacturers already do such analysis to manage their supply chain to ensure adequate supply of relevant variants of each car they offer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACM (Post 3853391)

All depends on the CEO. Some will choose to strengthen their presence where they are strong, others will look to expand into areas where they are weak. But I think the general consensus is, to first strengthen the high potential areas, and then look at new locations in order of priority, based on the sales volume for its product category.

Maruti, Hyundai, Mahindra etc. have enormous sales & marketing push. Honda is a hit or miss - lacks consistency. At the other end of the scale are Chevrolet & Tata. Lots of people, but zero talent / motivation / hard work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by libranof1987 (Post 3854349)
Should manufacturers start looking at individual marketing strategies for each region.

Requires a lot of bandwidth, people & $$$. You have to have the sales volume to justify that. Only the big guys have the resources to. See, once you are making enough money here, you no longer need to run to headquarters for budget approvals. That's unlike loss-making units - or even VW - where everything has to be signed off by the international HQ.

Strange to see:Shockked:, i20 is not there in the sales chart of top 10 vehicles of Coimbatore.

What is surprising here is the presence of Indica in the top 10 even in metro cities. It is understandable that, these are the cities where the cab market flourishes.
But then, cars that sell much more that Indica country wide, such as Ciaz, Eon, Xcent, TUV300, Ertiga, Jazz etc do not make an appearance in these cities.
I expected, it is in Metros, such cars are sold in large numbers. But the figures indicate otherwise.
Regarding Coimbatore sales, while I feel the numbers match with respect to Alto, City, Figo, and even S-Cross, I have not seen one Baleno on road yet.

I was looking at Mangalore sales ,the City which has showrooms of all car manufacturers including JLR which opened last week.
Could any one comment on Mangalore market please?
I could not find any city sales in Mangalore ,the other city being Calicut.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajr747 (Post 3863936)
I was looking at Mangalore sales ,the City which has showrooms of all car manufacturers including JLR which opened last week.
Could any one comment on Mangalore market please?
I could not find any city sales in Mangalore ,the other city being Calicut.

The Source Link covers both Mangalore and Calicut. Did not capture all the cities in this thread

http://management-punditz.blogspot.i...cities-in.html