Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2016, 14:24   #226
Team-BHP Support

re: The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
RIP Honda CR-V. I wonder if they will be able to sell a single unit of the car after the launch of Tucson; fantastic pricing by Hyundai! It remains to be seen if it can impact the Endeavor and Trailblazer. I doubt it would rattle the new Toyota Fortuner as this one is a 5 seater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Agree, with the 1.6L Diesel the CRV is killed for sure, but still the pricing is on a higher side + manual & AWD variants missing.
1. Please check CRV sales. Its in the mid double digits for most part. A 14% market share manufacturer shouldn't be even getting out of bed to "steal" those sales. Being a CRV killer isn't going to be a blockbuster event!

2. I seriously doubt its going to impact the Endy / Fortuner either unless a buyer categorically wants the Tucson body style over the Endy / Fortuner. No other reason it can pull sales away. The 2.2. Trend ATs in particular are VERY well priced.

3. Further to point no. 1, if you ask me, a better priced and packaged Tucson should instead be gunning for D segment sedans and in fact even the Creta / Creta segment. The Creta sells 7-8000 odd units every month. Even if the Tucson cannibalizes 300 - 400 odd of these sales, its not a bad outcome for them (premised on better margins).

In my opinion, they've got their work cut out at these prices. It will at best perform only modestly well in this avatar.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 14:48   #227
BHPian

The brochure is now on the Hyundai India website

http://www.hyundai.com/wcm/upload_ww...9107638810.pdf
Old 14th November 2016, 14:54   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
On a separate note, the Hexa will seem exceptional VFM post this pricing. the target audience will largely be the same for both, and the Hexa looks way more butch.
I seriously doubt the target market for Hexa and Tucson will be the same.

One is a 7/8 seater ladder on frame (correct me if I am wrong) MUV and the other is what poses to be an upmarket monocoque 5 seater Cross over.

Tucson essentially does not have any competition other than the CRV which really isn't any competition at all with its petrol only variants.

People looking at the Tucson might infact also look at the BMW X1 which is usually heavily discounted and the base model will be priced with 3-4L after discounts.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 14:58   #229
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai has started this bad practice of horribly over-pricing their diesels when compared to the equivalent petrol models, irrespective of the size of the diesel/petrol engines. This time, they have taken it to an all time high. Who in their right mind, would spend 2.6 lakhs extra for the base diesel? The base model itself is poorly equipped and quite expensive for what it offers. Only the AT models will sell. And even then, we have the Endeavour AT and the base Superb to take on these AT variants.

I see this car taking away a small pie of the D1 and the D2 segment sedans. The XUV and the Hexa need not worry much. Honda(CR-V) should.
Old 14th November 2016, 15:03   #230
Senior - BHPian

The base variant is of zero value to me. Lets compare it with SX(O) Creta, what additional value does Tuscon provide me after paying close to 4 lacs more?
The Tuscon has a bigger engine but looses a lot of features including crucial 6 airbags and other safety kit. OK, does Tuscon offer significantly more space? Well the boot is slightly bigger but that's it. For all other practical reasons, the overpriced Creta looks VFM .
Now coming to the higher variants, this has the potential to eat some of the sales of Octavia/Jetta but I doubt any of the Innova or Endeavour/Fortuner customers would even think of Tuscon. It's small, 5-seater and lacks the appeal of full size SUV.
The Creta sells because the ageing Duster/Terrano are the only true competition. The S-Cross lacks appeal and people are not interested in the confused BR-V. Not the case with Tuscon, which is slotted at same at price bracket as Innova, XUV and to be launched Hexa. Also the top end Tuscon brushes against the Endeavour/Fortuner/Pajero trio. I would be surprised if Tuscon sells more than 100 a month.

Last edited by PrideRed : 14th November 2016 at 15:10.
PrideRed is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 15:08   #231
BHPian

As someone who has held out on the Innova 2.8 Z A/T for the Tucson GLS A/T,the prices of the Tucson almost makes the Innova,which was perceived as a bit steeply priced,appear pretty good value for money.
The price gap between the on-road prices of the two is almost a cool INR 5,00,000/- with the Tucson GLS A/T being the dearer one.The crysta has all the major features of the Tucson except a few like puddle lamps,powered tailgate etc which in my opinion do not justify the price gap.
The Tucson GLS A/T at about 29 to 30 lakh on road also comes pretty close to the X1/GLA territory which can be had for a mid-30's price tag after discounts.
Old 14th November 2016, 15:13   #232
BHPian

As has already been mentioned, the top variants are overpriced. Now considering they are going to bring in the AWD, I am guessing it will be priced a bit more than the top diesel model. That would be around 31L on road in Ahmedabad. As has been said the X1 base model can be had here for 33L. Both the cars are the same size. There is just no way anyone would buy the top Tuscon model if they are getting a BMW.

I have heard that one would have to factor in maintenance cost/upkeep of the BMW, but surely its a risk worth taking ! Just pay 1L more and get the extended warranty.
Old 14th November 2016, 15:36   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
I seriously doubt the target market for Hexa and Tucson will be the same.

One is a 7/8 seater ladder on frame (correct me if I am wrong) MUV and the other is what poses to be an upmarket monocoque 5 seater Cross over.

Tucson essentially does not have any competition other than the CRV which really isn't any competition at all with its petrol only variants.

People looking at the Tucson might infact also look at the BMW X1 which is usually heavily discounted and the base model will be priced with 3-4L after discounts.
i respectfully disagree. Most of the Indian public goes for how much metal/features are you getting for your buck. They care two hoots about ladder on frame or monocoque so long as the vehicle in question has snazzy alloys, street presence (cred?), and gizmos like ACC and touch screen audios. Now both these vehicles have similar feature but the Hexa will in all likelihood undercut the Tuscon by a cool 4-5 L. That kind of money is enough to overlook the better brand equity of the H badge over the T one!

Rest time will tell. Many a pundit has fallen flat on his face making predictions about the Indian auto buyers' preferences and mindset!
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 15:44   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
i respectfully disagree. Most of the Indian public goes for how much metal/features are you getting for your buck. They care two hoots about ladder on frame or monocoque so long as the vehicle in question has snazzy alloys, street presence (cred?), and gizmos like ACC and touch screen audios. Now both these vehicles have similar feature but the Hexa will in all likelihood undercut the Tuscon by a cool 4-5 L. That kind of money is enough to overlook the better brand equity of the H badge over the T one!
I personally feel the Indian car market (at least the target audience expected to buy these two cars) is mature enough to understand the difference between what the Hexa offers and what the Tucson offers.
Hexa will be a competitor to the Innova IMO.

Let us agree to disagree here

Quote:
Rest time will tell. Many a pundit has fallen flat on his face making predictions about the Indian auto buyers' preferences and mindset!

Nobody can argue against this.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 15:50   #235
BHPian

Quote:
That is true. BUT the level of activity and discussion on a team-bhp thread (pre-launch, and post the pricing disclosure) is an extremely good pointer. After disclosure of variant information and pricing, the Tucson is not generating much buzz here, and that tells me something...
Vitalstatistiks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 16:05   #236
BHPian

A friend and I were looking at this launch to replace our aging steeds. Seems to be overpriced. Need to figure out alternatives now.
Can X1 be had for 30 lakh OTR in Delhi NCR? Might make sense to stretch in that case.
Old 14th November 2016, 16:44   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

To me, it's come to a stage that if Hyundai prices a product VFM, consider yourself fortunate.

They moved on from a pricing game long time back and are only bothered about their profits now a days. That's quite obvious if you take a look at the prices of the recent launches. And I don't find a reason why would they get into a price war with anyone - when Elite i20 / Creta / Santa Fe / Elantra are all doing well inspite of the non-VFM perception, discounted pricing is the last step they'll think about.

And there is no difference with Tucson pricing again. If a potential customer wants to buy a Creta or Santa Fe because of Tuscon's pricing dilemma, they still get the business.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th November 2016 at 18:05. Reason: On request
swiftnfurious is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 17:20   #238
Senior - BHPian

New Hyundai Tucson - India launch around the corner? (EDIT- Now Launched)

So doesn't it look like each manufacturer is filling each other's blanks.
The 30 lakh Fortuner moved to 40 lakhs. Here comes the Tucson to fill it. The 18 lakh Innova moved to 25+ and there you have the Creta .
Ideally you have the Breeza sitting at where the Creta should have been. The Creta where the Innova should have been and the Tucson at where the Fortuner should be.
Understand the quality of the products has been improved and the safety kits have come in , they are just not becoming expensive, they are moving segments.
Where else will one contemplate between a Tucson and an X1?

The Germans did it too. Bringing the GLA, X1 and Q3's at where the C Class , 3 series and the A4 should have been.

Looks like one happy Merry Go Round.
My two cents on the recent car prices.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 14th November 2016 at 17:34.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 17:30   #239

I'm a bit disappointed. I had planned to upgrade my Duster(70k kms done) to Tuscon but seeing 23L plus for Tuscon I'm not wondering whether to try and go for Ford Endeavour or save my money and buy Creta only.

Will test drive the Petrol once and see if its great to drive or not. This Friday I'm test driving the endeavour.
greatestmj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 17:35   #240
BHPian

Another view....I am in the look out for a decent SUV to replace my 2013 Innova and I almost decided 2.2L 4x2 Endy. Then I thought lets wait for Tucson. My gut feeling was this is not going to be VFM and I am proved right. Suprised many people mentioned BMW and Hyundai in the same line .

I do not think atleast I will be the one who will short list both! Snob value of BMW, drive, ride, build, fit & finish can not be even matched by Japanese! (I am driving 2012 Prado as well) How come Korean can even come close. I was between Endy and TFort. We have a two Hyundais in the family already happy with Hyundai as a brand/quality/reliability so far *touch wood*.

If I am content with what is Creta offering, decent ride, raised drive/seats, reliable diesel mill, I will go for Creta which seems to be a VFM now! Not Tucson! I would rather spend extra 3 or lakhs and get 2.2 AT Endy. Atleast it is Ford and they know a thing or two about automobile!

Oh Yeah...Toyota Fortuner is out of my list for now, as I couldn't convince that extra 4-5 lakhs for 400 cc extra capacity and few other bits. May be some resale value as well!

Ford Endeavor is more of an emotional decision!

Thanks Hyundai for making this so simple! Just couldn't digest the ridiculous price difference between petrol/diesel. But still, they will sell decently, Looking at Elantra's 1100 bookings!

Last edited by bblost : 14th November 2016 at 17:41. Reason: Please do not use short forms for car names. Thanks.
sgmuser is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks