Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2016, 17:46   #241
Senior - BHPian

re: The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched

Hyundai Tucson has one major disadvantage: It just has 5 seats.
Indians want 7 seats in any car with the profile of an SUV.

I think this'll be a hyundai which is going to have a tough time because of it's price. And other cars in the similar price bracket have really made an impact in the market.
The Innova Crysta is wonderful(save for the niggles), the Hexa has a lot of promise and the XUV 500 has established itself.

With formidable rivals, high pricing and lack of third row seating, Hyundai is taking a dagger to a sword fight. (If I may say that )
Where's the AWD ?
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 18:00   #242
BHPian

Spending 27 Lakhs for Hyundai car? No thanks.

Neither does that get me a premium & safe feel nor is Tucson something really drool worthy. I doubt it will sell but I think this was introduced to increase sales of Creta.

People walk into showrooms see Tucson, like the feel of it and at that moment realize price is too high. Salesmen says sir we have Creta which is almost same and you save lakhs. At this point customer is like wow Creta is really value for money and walks away with overpriced product to begin with.
heydj is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 18:41   #243
Senior - BHPian

Atrocious pricing by hyundai. I fail to understand if the inputs costs increased so rapidly in the span of 5 years, that could trigger a price increase of 5-10 Lakhs for the same vehicle. If this is the case, then all hatchbacks are loss-makers for a manufacturer.

I think it's time we have a thread dedicated to all the overpriced vehicles.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 14th November 2016 at 18:44.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 20:07   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
The base version exists simply to peg the starting price below 20L. It is quite useless as many basic features are missing at around 21L on road.

- Fabric upholstery
- No 18" Diamond cut alloys
- No Automatic climate control
- No Rear AC vent
- Manual Seat adjustment
- No keyless entry
- No Drive mode selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Hyundai Tucson has one major disadvantage: It just has 5 seats.
Indians want 7 seats in any car with the profile of an SUV.

I think this'll be a hyundai which is going to have a tough time because of it's price. And other cars in the similar price bracket have really made an impact in the market.
The Innova Crysta is wonderful(save for the niggles), the Hexa has a lot of promise and the XUV 500 has established itself.
This is what making me go for XUV W10 AT considering the price and features both offer. At even lesser price, the XUV offers leather upholstery, automatic gearbox, cruise control, more spacious interior, 7 seats, keyless entry, sunroof and a lot more. I agree that it has some niggles and quality issues. But still, it is a lot more VFM than tucson.

Now, I had made up my mind. Good bye Hyundai. Hello XUV!!

Last edited by madhav14 : 14th November 2016 at 20:09.
madhav14 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 20:13   #245
PCS
BHPian

Can anyone tell Is tucson cbu or ckd?
Old 14th November 2016, 20:28   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
RIP Honda CR-V. I wonder if they will be able to sell a single unit of the car after the launch of Tucson; fantastic pricing by Hyundai! It remains to be seen if it can impact the Endeavor and Trailblazer. I doubt it would rattle the new Toyota Fortuner as this one is a 5 seater.
Well CRV sells 40 copies a month so if RIP means 20 units Honda would be least bothered but if you compare petrol to petrol, CRV for me any-day. Sad but I am not buying none at current price point.

Endeavor, Trailblazer and Fortuner are all 7 seater so not understood your second point but I see little impact on any of the above (Trailblazer actually wants some impact as it can't really go in negative territory)

For me if Creta was overpriced this seems to be a case study of how things can go grossly wrong in Price vs Supply demand curve. What was in favor of Creta was that it filled a segment in a good looking way. With it's price point Tucson is trying to get into a segment in which it does not belong to. Dangerously too close to muscle mass with no perceivable brand advantage (luxury segment) is how I see it. Though let's see as year 2016 continues to amaze me
Old 14th November 2016, 20:29   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCS View Post
Can anyone tell Is tucson cbu or ckd?

It definitely is a CKD.
Old 14th November 2016, 21:01   #248
RSR
Senior - BHPian

New Hyundai Tucson - India launch around the corner? (EDIT- Now Launched)

I have a history of going against the tide of opinion on this forum on many occasions (even if it happened to be a tidal wave in some cases).

I'll do it again on this one. I believe the new Tucson will be a success story for Hyundai. It may not turn out to be a blockbuster as the Creta, but a success nevertheless. In fact, I think this will be the second largest selling SUV of all time for Hyundai in India (after the Creta), at least until the sub-4m Carlino enters the scene.

@ Hyundai - the new Tucson needs more variants! The engines & gearboxes are excellent choices, but there is a need for more variants, including AWD ones in both petrol & diesel.

Last edited by RSR : 14th November 2016 at 21:04.
Old 14th November 2016, 21:05   #249
BHPian

Went for a TD with the friend who booked the Tuscon. Here are my observations.

Good build quality , interiors are good and logicaly laid out, oriented towards functionality than style. It's dual tone black and beige. Seats were comfortable, I liked the front seats than the rear. Car doesn't feel claustrophobic in the back, thanks to the beige interiors. Everything is put together really good. Good amount of cubby holes to store items.

Engine noise is controlled, does have some noise but controlled. Vibrations arent felt on the inside. Engine has hydraulic mounts. I could find lot of Made in Korean parts in engine bay

In regular mode gearbox has rubber band effect in regular mode and it can be felt easily it ain't bad but definitely not something I expect from a troque converter automatic. In sport mode the responsiveness gets lot better, in eco mode it up shifts even before turbo kicks in and its a slow couch. Brakes were spot on. I quite liked the handling, its well composed and does take turns decently at high speeds. I expected the steering to be a boat but surprisingly the feedback was really good even at 140+. In bumper to bumper traffic the steering is good as well. Auto hold feature is a boon in Bangalore's traffic.

We both felt it should been priced atleast 2L lower. OTR of GLS AT is 31.9 in Bangalore, friend confirmed his booking as his choices were limited. The car is definitely not under powered.

He was saying how his XUV has TPMS but Tucson doesnt have. He never felt the need for sunroof, had a Q7 and was saying he never used it in 4 years of owning it.
mjumrani is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 21:31   #250
Senior - BHPian

I think Hyundai have priced themselves out. This is a confused product IMO, has the features but lacks the size and presence.
No doubt there will be buyers for whom this will fit the bill perfectly, someone for example who wants a vehicle luxurious than the creta but dont want to deal with the size or extra seats.But the volumes will be minimal.
I for one will be looking at a 2 year old Santa Fe at a far better price than a new Tucson.

Last edited by bigron : 14th November 2016 at 21:50.
Old 14th November 2016, 22:35   #251
Senior - BHPian

I am impressed with the Tucson and that includes the price. With the Creta and the Tucson Hyundai has a chance of effectively locking out the 12 - 25 lakh SUV segment. The Creta is said to be overpriced but that does not seem to have any effect on it's sales. Personally I am okay with paying 17 lakh odd for the Creta.

I especially think that the 2 litre diesel will be a real differentiator given it's specs. However Hyundai, offering the GL and GLS only in AT seems to be intent in encouraging AT more than the MT. One missing feature that especially stumped me was the absence of a automatic climate control feature. This is present even in premium hatches.

Looking forward to a review of the 2 litre diesel engine.
Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 23:28   #252
BHPian

Re: The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Spending 27 Lakhs for Hyundai car? No thanks.
I beg to differ. It's like saying the elantra is the same as the Verna. Not a fair comparison. The Tucson is better build, more premium materials, bigger engine and lot of extras. Compare this to the CR-V and you would have a clear comparison. As far as brand goes, nobody wanted to buy a Maruti for 10+ lakhs. Look how the market responded to ciaz.

Last edited by ampere : 15th November 2016 at 08:44. Reason: Reduced length of quoted post
wordsworth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 00:01   #253
BHPian

I'm sure many people here have not realized this but this is a really smart move by Hyundai. The Tucson is more of a Bait car for them.
I'll explain how,
  • The Santa Fe is currently available at 60k discounts. Hyundai will further improve the discount to 1L for the next couple of months. Once January starts, BOOM, they'll drop in their trump card of year end discounts of maybe an additional 50k-1L on 2016 models. Not only will this help them with stock clearence but also boost sales of the Santa Fe by making a potential Tucson buyer go for it (considering the difference between the top end Tucson and Entry Santa Fe will then only remain 1.5-2L.)
  • The Tucson now also makes the Creta look like a more value for money option. This will surely nullify the whole overpriced feeling of the top end Creta attracting buyers who are on the edge of pricing.
  • Make the Petrol Elantra appeal to a lot more buyers. Its called Reverse Psychology, by doing this it will make people think that "hey, i get an engine in the Elantra which is used in a 25-30L car. There surely must be something special about it."

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 15th November 2016 at 07:17. Reason: Tuscon > Tucson
Old 15th November 2016, 08:03   #254
Senior - BHPian

The 2016 Tucson is highly overpriced, no two ways about it.

And I don't think Hyundai needs to do this to improve the sales of Creta. Its already doing around 8k units consistently month over month without any hassle. Yes, the Creta has a premium on it and everyone (at least over here) is/ was bothered about the list of equipments missing from the vehicle. But I don't think it is overpriced to the degree that Tucson is now for its segment. And moreover, I doubt someone looking at Tucson will be happy with the Creta.

Coming to the Santa Fe, we are again shortchanged. We get 3 rows cramped into the smaller version of the Santa Fe here. Ideally, the longer version which is available in the US should have been launched here. And the less said about the pricing, the better. Its no wonder even Ford sells 20 times the number of units per month in the segment with the Endeavour. That's a write off!

Hyundai has formidable brand pull and a string of 'can't go wrong' vehicles across segments. But recently, they have embarked on a strategy where anything which closely resembles a UV has a premium slapped on it and they don't even equip it with features available in their hatchbacks from B+ segment.

Hyundai really could have made these segments (12 to 29 lakhs OTR SUVs) their own with correct pricing and MSIL like feature list. Yes, Maruti has stole that tag from Hyundai now. Hyundai is the old Honda now. Let's see if demonetization can do something about this in the coming months. Tata will be breathing a sigh of relief. All they need to do is keep a few photostat copies of the local Hyundai dealer' price list.
deetjohn is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 11:03   #255
BNM
BHPian

The Indian buyers have a mind of their own which defies the usual common sense. All of us (Creta buyers) felt it was overpriced but look at its overall sales and success. At least the Creta had some good competition in its class with the likes of the Duster and Terrano. The Tuscon has absolutely none with the ageing CRV.

Maybe Hyundai's logic is to price their vehicles 10 Lacs apart (Approx top end OTR pricing in Bangalore). Hyundai hasnt failed in the recent past with their offerings except for the Sonata. Lets see how this one turns out. BTW I saw a lot of these cars in the US this time - more than the Santa Fe's. Unfortunately I couldnt rent one and had to settle for the Santa Fe.

Creta 18 Lacs
Tuscon 28 Lacs
Santa Fe 38 Lacs

Last edited by BNM : 15th November 2016 at 11:09.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks