Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2016, 11:09   #256
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched

The car is well loaded on paper but the pricing sure is premium.

For 1 Lakh more you can get a Ford Endeavour 3.2L 4x4 AT Trend variant. That's the big 3.2L engine!

Or you can save 2 lakhs over the Tucson and get an Endeavour 2.2 4x2 AT Trend.

Then there's the Innova and the newly launched Elantra vs the Euro Skoda Octavia.
Vid6639 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 11:34   #257
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai usually gets to profit from other people's pricing blunder (Jazz, S-Cross for example). I think it might be others' turn this time.

Especially Ford. They would have faced difficult times with Fortuner launch but Hyundai has just shown the market how VFM the Endeavor is, with the launch of Tuscon.

7 seats and looks like a behemoth on road. For people wanting to make a statement (which usually is the case with the purchase of these cars) only the Fortuner and Endeavor will do.
SchumiFan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 11:50   #258
BHPian

Look at the SUV price points available. An Indian customer shops by price point. Before the introduction of Tucson, After XUV, there is no choice till you can afford a 30L car. (except Yeti and CRV). There is a huge void which Tucson is trying to position itself in. What choice does a customer have if he is looking for a SUV for 20 lacs? IMO, this is the most underdeveloped segment and once we see more competition we will see sub-segments emerge.

8-12 lac - Ecosport/Brezza
12-18 lac - Duster/Terrano/Creta/XUV
18-27 lacs - CRV/Yeti
28-35 - Endeavour/Fortuner

Last edited by SDP : 15th November 2016 at 11:57. Reason: typo
adabass is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 13:15   #259
BHPian

After Tucson and Fortuner pricing annouced, Ford Endy 2.2/3.2 AT trend pricing starts making a lot of sense.
Old 15th November 2016, 13:31   #260
Team-BHP Support

Here's the mumbai on road price list. Top half is Mumbai with octroi and list below without octroi. The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched-imageuploadedbyteambhp1479196895.902877.jpg
Axe77 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 13:48   #261
BHPian

Hyundai brings in cars like Tucson and then they may suddenly pull out of the Indian market. This affects the resale value of owners wanting to trade in or sell at a later time. On the other hand, the Innova, Fortuner, XUV etc. are likely long term investments in Indian markets and thus appear to be safer bets for most prospective owners in the MUV / SUV segment.

Hyundai did similar switches several times in the sedan segment too. They had the Accent & Verna, then Verna was pulled out. Then back came the Verna and the Accent is now pulled out. Similarly Getz was also pulled out and replaced by the i-20. Most prospective buyers will not want their models discontinued so frequently thus affecting resale values.

The Tucson specs look good and definitely is a car above Creta. But at that price is Hyundai going to keep it in the Indian market long enough. If this is questionable then the T badge (Innova or Fortuner) or Honda (CR-V) certainly is worth the premium for many owners, knowing their models may get a face lift or upgraded with an all new design every so many years, but at least will not be totally discontinued soon.

Last edited by geotracks : 15th November 2016 at 13:51.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 14:28   #262
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Poor Pricing in my view. Makes the Endeavour Trend various seem even more VFM.

Both Toyota and Hyundai have presumed that Ford has a poorer brand perception in India than them. While that is true to some extent, they are not Luxury badges themselves.

I think Tucson Pricing is a misstep by Hyundai. And at this point of time with tightness in Black Money markets (Yep Cars are mostly bought with White money) but a lot of buyers in the 25L plus car buying segment are in no mood to buy cars right now and the price points will matter.

And the Endy Trend variants too are spec quite well.

Nope gets a thumbs down from me.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 14:35   #263
Team-BHP Support

Pricing is steep, but it would have been nice to have some substance to back the pricing. You spend close to 30 lakhs on a small cross-over and still don’t get necessities like ESC. Hyundai wants to be premium brand, but unfortunately the sensibilities are not yet there.
vb-saan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 15:37   #264
BHPian

In my humble personal opinion, Hyundai doesn't have the brand pull for me to invest 30 lacs in any product.

After spending such a significant sum of money on a car, one expects a lot from the vehicle, which the Ford Endeavour offers on the Trend variants (read 7 seats). Also, when one upgrades from a hatch-back to an SUV (as would be in my case) I wouldn't just think about features/price/seating capacity, I'd think about the brand as well.

One can simply consider the Ford Endeavour or BMW X1 if one is willing to spend 30-40 lacs in this segment! No way I'd spend that much money on a Hyundai.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 15:43   #265
BHPian

I was considering to buy Tucson .At 23 lks ,endeavour it is. Thank u Hyundai u make my decision easy

Last edited by west : 15th November 2016 at 16:03.
west is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 17:07   #266
BHPian

I had a glimpse of Tucson today at VTJ Hyundai, Kochi. The exterior looks are impressive. I am not very impressed with the interior though. It has a sea of beige colour everywhere. The quality of the materials is good. It has a simple dashboard layout. Didn't find it to be very stylish (just my opinion). The 18 inch wheels look great. The electronic boot release and closing is a nifty feature. Rear leg room is more than adequate. As I was in a hurry to leave, didn't have enough time to check the whole car.

Sorry for the bad quality pics (taken using my Samsung Galaxy Note4).

The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched-20161115_100715a.jpg
The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched-20161115_100550b.jpg
Cruzerman is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 18:18   #267
Senior - BHPian

I was looking forward to the Tuscon, since it was to be positioned as a Premium SUV in 20-25 lakhs range.

Post Launch, the Pricing is indeed Premium, I was expecting Top End Diesel to be at least cheaper by 2 Lakhs compared to Launch Price. As Expected, many BHPians felt & expressed the same.

But, I made up mind to decide on it after thoroughly checking it out at Showroom. No I haven't gone there yet, but already the Initial Impressions are dying. I had a brief discussion with my Father who was more keen on Tuscon then me. When I showed him the Tuscon, his First words were

Ah ? This is similar to Creta !!

I explained him that Front & Rear is different compared to Creta. He immediately made a comparison with Santa Fe & i20 (Front & Rear). I said, it will look different in Real & he acknowledged. Then after that, I showed him the Prices, his next words were

It's Expensive & Not Worth the Asking Price, At same price, Endeavour & Fortuner are better !! Or Else I can add few more lakhs and get BMW X1 which is much better then Tuscon.

So, this story pretty much explains why Tuscon might not impress Buyers as much as some of the other cars in same price range.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 19:33   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai India will introduce the Tucson AWD in a single GLS variant in April 2017, company sources have disclosed. (Source)

To justify the extra premium it will command, the AWD is rumored to come with all-black interiors and a panoramic sunroof.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2016, 20:16   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Hyundai India will introduce the Tucson AWD in a single GLS variant in April 2017, company sources have disclosed. (Source)

To justify the extra premium it will command, the AWD is rumored to come with all-black interiors and a panoramic sunroof.
I think they might also launch the fantastic blue color either during the introduction of the AWD or in the anniversary edition.
Old 15th November 2016, 20:31   #270
BHPian

Saw Tucson in the flesh today. The interiors are just a shade better than the Creta and definitely not worth the 10L+ price difference. The plastics on the doors are poor quality. The dashboard is too plain, uninspiring and poor quality material in many places. I don't see this as a 30L+ car. A huge let down.

Cancelled my booking. Many folks might switch over to Creta (perhaps this is Hyundai's strategy) or upgrade to an X1 (heart agrees but mind struggles).

Either way, Tucson will be a dud in India. I hope Hyundai doesn't attempt to bring the GLS version with AWD+ Pano roof at 37L+ on road (Bangalore).That would be the final nail in the coffin.
Tumbler is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks