Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2016, 20:53   #271
BHPian

Re: The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched

I am really disappointed with the pricing. I was looking for a premium SUV in 20-22 lacs range. This has gone beyond my budget. Right now I am staring in the barrel and don't see any other choice coming in. Will wait for another year.
Old 15th November 2016, 21:45   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

This particular Tucson test mule was spotted on a testing run on the outskirts of Hyderabad two days before the official launch, i.e., 12th November, by a HVK Group user.

All-black interiors can be seen, although the transmission in this particular test mule is a 6-speed manual. Not sure if it's paired to an AWD button or knob.

The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched-14993381_847717735364743_543654929244001231_n.jpg

The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched-14993354_847725828697267_2435416578911581516_n.jpg

The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched-15055818_847725795363937_6292654475401098860_n.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 07:58   #273
BHPian

Test drove the hyundai tucson in chennai yesterday. Tucson has been re-engineered in Germany and that shows in the car.

1. Accelerator design direct lift off from Q3 and X1
2. Even the button designs seemed X1 like (esp for +/- AC fan speed)
3. Auto hold feature a big plus which is available only in Q3 and not even X1
4. Merc GL like DRL assembly near the fog lamps
5. 10 way power seats - The lumbar support available only in Q3 is here. Very supportive seats unlike the X1
6. Potent 2 Litre AT engine
7. Great ground clearance and the ride comfort is just AMAZING! Hyundai has just nailed this one in my opinion.
8. A good 8L cheaper than entry level Q3 or X1. Brand value is still a factor.

Big misses and -ves

1. Pano Sun roof
2. Auto rain sensing wipers
3. Rear seat still claustrophobic (a pano sunroof would have made this better)
4. Dashboard design is a bit bland and understated (doesn't feel too luxurious)
5. 30L OTR (roughly 20-22L in other markets). Import duty on the engine?
krish.sathish is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 09:19   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish.sathish View Post
Test drove the hyundai tucson in chennai yesterday
Thank you very much for the insights

Hyundai I am afraid has priced this one out of the reckoning.

From what you say, looks like they have benchmarked it against the Q3 and the X1, and as you say, they are able to offer you what the Q3 and X1 offer at 75% of the price. However, this may not be enough. As I see it, the promise from Hyundai was to price the Tuscon bang in-between the Creta and Sante-Fe, but the pricing is leaning more towards the Santa-Fe and less towards the Creta

The new Fortuner makes a very good case for itself now, and yes, many would opine that 8 lakhs is OK to pay as a premium for the Audi or BMW badge
Old 16th November 2016, 11:53   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

This is ridiculous pricing indeed. Just recently, Chevy dropped the price for the trailblazer to 23.99 lakhs. So, at a price that is 1 lakhs lower than the top end Tucson, you get a truck from a segment higher, with almost all features of the Tucson, with a potent 2.8 Litre, 200 PS, 500 NM engine, a CBU unit with three rows of seats! Looks like a way better deal to me.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 12:04   #276
Senior - BHPian

The Tucson diesel variants costs 27 - 31 lakhs on road in Trivandrum.

DSL MT ~ 27.2 L
DSL GL ~ 29 L
DSL GLS ~ 31 L

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 12:34   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
This is ridiculous pricing indeed. Just recently, Chevy dropped the price for the trailblazer to 23.99 lakhs. So, at a price that is 1 lakhs lower than the top end Tucson, you get a truck from a segment higher, with almost all features of the Tucson, with a potent 2.8 Litre, 200 PS, 500 NM engine, a CBU unit with three rows of seats! Looks like a way better deal to me.
It's not always about the size. A person in the market to buy a compact SUV with a 2L engine and plush interiors and features will not even consider the Fortuner, Trailblazer or Endeavour etc. He wants something like a Honda CRV, X1, Q3, but maybe at a more affordable price. They are the people who are most disappointed with the pricing of the Tucson (Me included). Bigger sized vehicles are not something that everyone can handle. If Tucson would have been priced around 25-26L on road for the top end variant, it would have been a killer proposition.
aviraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 13:10   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
It's not always about the size. A person in the market to buy a compact SUV with a 2L engine and plush interiors and features will not even consider the Fortuner, Trailblazer or Endeavour etc. He wants something like a Honda CRV, X1, Q3, but maybe at a more affordable price. They are the people who are most disappointed with the pricing of the Tucson (Me included). Bigger sized vehicles are not something that everyone can handle. If Tucson would have been priced around 25-26L on road for the top end variant, it would have been a killer proposition.
you are spot on. If Hyundai had offered a fully loaded 4WD variant with panaromic sunroof and ventilated seats for 25 lakhs ex showroom, that would have worked to some extent.

I did a quick comparison with the Australian prices to get an idea of Tucson's pricing abroad. Top end 4WD Tucson with all the bells and whistles costs AUD 47000, which is approximately 24 lakhs INR. What we are getting is a 2WD Tucson without a few features at a higher price (25+ lakhs). Now a fully loaded Toyota Fortuner costs AUD 62000 (31.6 lakhs INR) and this is exactly what a 2.8 4x4 AT Fortuner costs out here as well. When we look at the Endeavour's pricing, it works out less expensive in India. If Ford and Toyota can offer their well equipped cars at same or lesser price in India, I am not sure what Hyundai is thinking when it expects us to pay a premium for a stripped down version of their car.

After spending 30 lakhs on a Hyundai, I am sure no one would be willing to live with a less equipped car that is being sold cheaper in some overseas markets.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 16th November 2016 at 13:14.
ece2k2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 13:11   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
My thoughts exactly. I have actually pre-booked the fortuner and in fact have been offered delivery of the vehicle next week. I however did the booking without having an experience of driving any of the big SUVs. When I took a test drive early this week, couldn't come to terms with the ride quality. These SUVs are built for a purpose and I learnt that it doesn't suit daily commutes inside the city. Even the small crevices on the roads are felt inside. It is not about the pricing. I can even stretch to 38L and buy an X1 or Q3 entry variant. But the point is both Q3 and X1 have their own compromises as well. If the seats had been a shade better (they are too firm and narrow for my liking) on the X1, would have booked it by now.
krish.sathish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 13:17   #280
BHPian

Here's where I stand on this. They've priced it about 2L higher than what I was hoping for. If I'd have thought about it logically, which I did (and had posted my thoughts here on pages 9, 10), the pricing is more or less what it should've been.

World over the Tucson starts above the top spec Elantra, alongside the Sonata. That is exactly what Hyundai has done here. What they've skimped on is a couple of features along with a couple of weird choices for the interior. You can take Hyundai for a bargain bin brand that it *used to be* all you want but it isn't anymore.

The Tucson is a good, solid car with a very capable diesel engine. There's enough power here (0-100 of about 9 secs or thereabouts), the ride is really good, the fit and finish is fantastic, good space, enough comfort and safety features and the car looks mouth watering from every single angle. I have driven the Tucson right after the Creta and right before the Santa Fe. I would pick this over the other two anytime. The Creta is just too basic, too spartan. The Santa Fe is ageing and probably would be discontinued soon. Plus Santa Fe just crosses over into that territory of "too big" to be comfortable as a daily. The Tucson looks better than the other two.

The Tucson offers really good warranty, and being a Hyundai we know it won't break down or develop many niggles. This car isn't new. It came out two years ago and that's enough time for H to iron out anything that might've been an issue.

Now, let's look at the alternatives, as have been suggested by many here.

1. Endeavour: VFM, very worthy. But it's just too big a "car" to be a replacement for someone looking for a daily. The ride isn't as good and the 2.2 Trend doesn't have 6 airbags. It will be more expensive to keep, will be cumbersome as a daily and would probably suffer higher depreciation. The mileage to the litre is about 60% to that of the Tucson. It's a great SUV but won't do it for someone looking for a crossover.

2. Ze Germans, the Q3/X1: Really? I mean, really? I'll tend to dismiss the germans for two reasons. First, the badge holds no value for me at all. That's just the way I am. So their biggest selling point does nothing for me. Their products overall aren't superior and that should just about take them out of contention. That they aren't and won't be as reliable and fuss free to keep as the Hyundai should take them out of consideration completely.

3. Innova Crysta: The Crysta is VFM now? Again, really? Haha.

4. Sedan alternatives: I'm not really interested but the only ones in comparable ownership experience would be Elantra and the Corolla. Both solid alternatives if you're okay with sedans.

5. Hexa: Could be good. Certainly looks to be a capable car. But again, it is a van and too big to be a comfortable daily.

6. CRV: Nope.

7. Yeti: Diesel is only MT and is priced alongside the Tucson. Non attractive, old platform.

Also, everyone going on over here about how the Tucson is expensive are only looking at the top end Diesel. The petrol automatic is available at a decent price. Although it misses out on a few top end features, it carries most of the essential ones including 6 airbags. The petrol GL is a very attractive car at 21.79L ex-Delhi.

Many of you who are saying that it isn't enough of an upgrade over the Creta should place the two cars next to each other and see for yourselves. I'll be going for an extended test drive today and will post my impressions soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
This particular Tucson test mule was spotted on a testing run on the outskirts of Hyderabad two days before the official launch, i.e., 12th November, by a HVK Group user.

All-black interiors can be seen, although the transmission in this particular test mule is a 6-speed manual. Not sure if it's paired to an AWD button or knob.
[/center]
This could be the base model, the seats appear to be fabric, there's manual transmission and a manual handbrake. Can't see the alloys so can't really be sure.
ach1lles is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 13:39   #281
BHPian

I think Hyundai has missed the price point by a mile! The fully loaded would cost around 33L OTR in Bangalore and that's a lot of money!!

Agreed, it fits the " soft roader with car like feel - I don't need 7 seats - my daily car - not too small not too big - good reliability" description but frankly the price point is such that it makes one think about available options and how much value they offer. I don't bet on Tucson coming out in front in such a comparison on too many occasions.

In my opinion, they have made the Crysta look very very VFM!!
Old 16th November 2016, 13:57   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post
Here's where I stand on this.
So, to summarize, people who find Endeavor too big, but Creta too small; dont feel brand pull of ze Germans but feel brand pull of Hyundai; find Innova Crysta overpriced, but Tucson priced right; not interested in sedans of similar size as Tucson and find Hexa too big, repelled by CRV and Yeti, would buy Tucson. Probably, that's the niche Hyundai was targeting. And who knows, given the sales figure of Creta, I would not be too surprised, if the niche turns out to be really huge.
ashlil is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 16th November 2016, 19:08   #283
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish.sathish View Post
8. A good 8L cheaper than entry level Q3 or X1. Brand value is still a factor.

Big misses and -ves
1. Pano Sun roof
2. Auto rain sensing wipers
5. 30L OTR (roughly 20-22L in other markets). Import duty on the engine?
A year or two old X1 or Q3 would be a much better deal. That said size wise the Tucson should almost compete with the X3 or Q5.

Overpriced no doubt.

Panoramic Sun Roof is big miss in todays times and Auto Rain sensors should have also been there.

Badge does matter and 20% is not enough to compete. Plus there are the Endeavour & Hexa Options today.
Old 17th November 2016, 05:49   #284
BHPian

Skoda and VW may be keenly watching the numbers of Tucson' s to position their Kodiaq or Tiguan. I hope this does not set a new base point for extravagant pricing
Old 17th November 2016, 12:06   #285
BHPian

So I took a very long test drive of the diesel GLS yesterday, from late afternoon to evening. Checked pretty much everything and took the car everywhere I would go regularly. Home, work, highway, bad roads, worse roads, slight off roading at the farm etc. It took about a couple of hours and the SA was very nice about it. Infact by the end of it he told my brother who was with us that he could come again the next day to have a go himself.

Anyway, here are my initial impressions and observations listed in no particular order:

First, I've never owned a crossover or an SUV, and I'm used to driving only low to the ground cars. So, this wasn't as direction friendly as the other "cars", yet it wasn't bad. I did quite a few turn ins and the Tucson managed nicely. The body roll shouldn't be an issue.

The power is more that adequate. Turbo lag below 1500 rpm but after that there's a punch and it goes nicely. 0-100 is quick. The speed is masked and you don't realise how fast you're going unless you look at the speedo.

The gear box is a limitation and like with other Hyundais, it is best suited for sedate driving. The shifts take time. Even in manual the downshifts take about a second to register. Pretty much the same as on auto mode. Atleast that's what I felt. Sport mode takes care of the lethargic gear box to a large extent as the upshifts happen at about 3000 RPM, and there's no "gap" to the power. Normal mode feels lethargic and I didn't even bother with the eco.

I think there was something wrong with the supervision cluster or the on board computer, or maybe it wasn't calibrated but the DTE figure was only dashes, i.e, there was no actual figure. And even though the SA put ₹500 worth of fuel, the fuel warning light stayed on. The mileage displayed was 7.2 kpl.

There was some engine noise within the cabin but play some music and you won't hear a thing. The cabin is a nice place to be in. There's enough space in the back seat and recline is a very handy feature. As with the Creta, the window lines are high. The sunroof would've been amazing to have.

Tucson manages bad roads very nicely. The roads I took had some giant craters in them, and even though I took it slow, they didn't rattle the car. It can manage "regular bad" roads with ease.

GC is less than that of Creta using the bottle test. Felt like about an inch lesser.

Brakes are excellent. Went from 100-0 in a very short distance with absolutely zero drama. Even though i warned my co passengers that i was going to brake hard, my bro sitting in the rear seat said that that gave him a headache.

Sound quality is very decent for an oem. I like thumping music systems so make of that what you will. Phone pairing took a minute but operating and streaming was instant. Phone call quality was satisfactory. Reconnection after going out and getting back in was instant. Carplay requires a cable connection. Meh.

The AC is an absolute chiller.

Headlamps felt adequate though I expected them to have better illumination. Auto headlamps light up too soon. Cornering lamps work very well. Interior lighting are your regular old bulbs. I expected LED.

Wipers on washer are a lot faster than any other car I’ve seen.

Glove box is on the smaller side, non illuminated and no lock.

Front parking sensors are handy. Can switch them off. Electronic parking brake is a neat party trick for about 3 seconds. Auto disengages when you put the car in D or R. Tested hill hold for about 10 secs on a steep incline. Car didn't move.

Horn is a nice dual sound.

The car looks great. Got a lot of looks from people around. People were clicking snaps etc.

The front arm rest is too low for the highest seat setting. Does not slide (!)

Steering felt a little small for the space and the car.

Pedals, scuff plates aren't metal. Scuff plates are not illuminated.

Boot is smaller that I would've liked. Can set the height to which the boot opens. Manual shut force won't bother the tailgate. It is designed to be able to take manual shutdowns. Spare is a full size alloy.

Overall I liked the car for about 25, maybe even 26 on road. At 28.5 it comes dangerously close to 30 which is a figure I'm not comfortable with.

I wish to take TD of the petrol once just to see how it is like, since it will be a good 4L less expensive on road. If anyone knows where a petrol Tucson is available for TD in Delhi NCR or nearby, please let me know. Thanks.
ach1lles is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks