Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th November 2016, 12:23   #286
BHPian

Re: The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched

I am in market for a good SUV/Crossover. Had a lot of hopes from Tucson pricing, but I am a bit disappointed.

Went to Godavari Hyundai in Ludhiana to check out the vehicle, but the dealership hasn't got any demo cars on display and are not expecting any Tucson for another week or 2. And all the newspapers and online websites are full of advertisements. Why can't they plan their launches better :Frustrate

Then I went to check out the new Fortuner. It doesn't look worth 35 lakh at all from the interiors. Whats wrong with the pricing strategies of all these companies? None of them give an impression of VFM.
JoyPangli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 14:49   #287
Senior - BHPian

Excellent look car and at an awesome pricing Looks like someone from Jeep join their team to handle the pricing part!

This would cost 27L - 32L in kerala!
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 14:59   #288
Senior - BHPian

The Overdrive review is out. In the photos the interiors look premium and they have good words about the 2 litre diesel.

http://overdrive.in/reviews/2016-hyu...-drive-review/

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 17th November 2016, 15:47   #289
BHPian

I have a Chevrolet Captiva LTZ and was looking for a replacement. The Tucson sounded just the perfect one. I dont need 7 seats and the size too was just right.
With the current pricing of 31 L OTR in Bangalore, this is dead in the water , for me.
Now i am looking at the smaller Creta or going for the much bigger XUV 500 W10 AT .
I was okay upto 25 L OTR for the Tucson, not more

I had bought the Captiva in Oct 2010 for Rs 22 lacs OTR. Interestingly, the Captiva is a CBU attracting over 107% import duty . The Captiva LTZ model, which i have is an AWD with an autobox .
Considering that the Tucson is manufactured here or is being assembled here ( I am not sure which) tit would be attracting lower import duties on the imported parts of the car. Considering that, the Tucson definitely seems overpriced, to my mind .

Last edited by noopster : 18th November 2016 at 17:22. Reason: Please don't post back to back
vgsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 21:13   #290
rbp
BHPian

Wow, overdrive and autocar say aggressively priced
rbp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 21:30   #291
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

At such pricing in BLR, they are going head to head with the Yeti, the Endeavour, the Fortuner and the Innova Crysta and of course, their own Santa Fe!
And to my mind, I think this pricing is too high for a Hyundai Tucson. What are they thinking? 31-32 Lacs for A Tucson!
It costs 73000 AED in Dubai - that comes to about 14 lacs or so max.
Are they mad to expect Indians to pay double in India for this vehicle?
Are they not making it in India?

When the original Tucson was launched here in 2005 it was considered expensive at the time, at Rs 18 lacs on road Bangalore.

When I got my Yeti in 2011 I paid 19 odd lacs on road Bangalore. Today the Yeti is almost 30 Lacs in Bangalore brand new. Thats MADNESS!

There is something wrong with these manufacturers in India - they are all pricing their vehicles way too high for what they offer.

Now when Jeep Compass comes in 2017, not to be outdone by the "mere Hyundai's" of the world, they will probably price it at 35-40 lacs or so for the Top version. And who will buy these vehicles at such prices?

I guess, many rich people will, but I most probably won't be one of them.

I think it looks like Im sticking with my Yeti for the foreseeable future...and buying a Gypsy for the fun bits...

Sit quietly, enjoy the full use of these fully depreciated vehicles along with Freedom from EMI's and to the Devil with what the rest of the world may think of me, just because I m not upgrading my car like everyone else seems to be doing, every 3-5 years...

Last edited by shankar.balan : 17th November 2016 at 21:36.
shankar.balan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 17th November 2016, 21:48   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Sit quietly, enjoy the full use of these fully depreciated vehicles along with Freedom from EMI's and to the Devil with what the rest of the world may think of me, just because I m not upgrading my car like everyone else seems to be doing, every 3-5 years...
Wholeheartedly agree with your view. I change my vehicles at around 8-10 years. I maintain them well and even when I sell, they are performing as good as they can given the obsolescence of the engines. I have a Civic in 10th year. Running like a charm. i10 around 8 years. City workhorse. Sold a Lancer at 9. All of them served well - with EMIs over and only maintenance spend. Fortunately all of them needed very little maintenance other than 6 monthly visit to service. Of course other than occasional minor paint jobs. I plan to keep the Endeavour too for almost that long.

Now back to topic. This is obscene price driven by Creta's success. Also Hyundai's new found global confidence (tad overconfidence) which is also visible in US markets. Will this succeed? Can't say given how people responded to Creta. But my bet is that this will not do major numbers. After initial euphoria, this will settle at high 2 digits a month. And then discounts will be offered by dealers followed by the company itself.

Also here is the opportunity for Endeavour 2.2 and also Trailblazer to position their offerings against this. But they will not do that - as it will dissolve their SUV positioning.

So let's wait and watch.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 17th November 2016 at 21:52.
nareshtrao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 12:54   #293
Senior - BHPian

In the meanwhile, Carpoint AU have compared the Tucson to Tiguan & the former won the battle:
http://www.carpoint.com.au/reviews/2...parison-104611

Parting shots by the journo:
Quote:
These incredibly capable vehicles offer great value for money. They really are the best in their class, and in picking a winner, we’re pleased to say there’s not much in it.

Given the segment’s broad appeal, the rival’s distinct personalities and individual strengths will most likely divide buyers quite evenly.

However, the points stack in favour of the Hyundai Tucson when it comes to driveability, equipment levels and after-sales considerations. Yep, it’s our winner, again.

The gap between Korea and Germany has officially closed.
CARDEEP is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 15:55   #294
BHPian

Did not see the Ground Clearance or Boot Space figures quoted anywhere - even looked at the brochure on the Hyundai website. Any idea?
vkaul1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 16:10   #295
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
Did not see the Ground Clearance or Boot Space figures quoted anywhere - even looked at the brochure on the Hyundai website. Any idea?
Ground Clearance = 172mm. (Source)

Boot Space = 513 liters. (Source)
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2016, 23:29   #296
BHPian

The autocar video review is out.

PraNeel is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 00:34   #297
BHPian

This is precisely what I had written in my observations earlier. As the autocar reviewer sums it up, the Tucson is actually going after the Q3 and X1. It offers just about everything other than the brand value but the longevity (how the car ages) is unknown. That's the risk factor. Nevertheless I have taken the plunge and have booked the top end diesel in white!
krish.sathish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 01:14   #298
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 9th January 2017 at 10:34.
puneetghai1978 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 19th November 2016, 08:45   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

It is my opinion that the Tucson isn't overpriced any more than the peers its competing with. I would not be wrong if I said that brands which command a premium are those that are strong in demand and/or those which the public love. Its the same globally, in U.S Toyota and Honda carry a premium over other brands -

Honda Civic - 19000 $ approx.
Toyota Corolla - 18500 $ approx.
VW Jetta - 17800 $ approx.

All starting prices.

U.K :
Skoda Octavia : £15,900 after discounts.
VW Jetta : £17,160 after discounts.
Honda Civic : £15,300 after discounts.

The preferences of each of the locations are clear, if it wasn't before.

Likewise in India, like it or not Suzuki and Hyundai have established their ground and more than likely they deserve it since they have the largest number of sales points, service centres and both do make reliable vehicles. Here are some of the car pricings in India :

- Honda City tops off somewhere at 14.7L Bangalore (atleast it used to before the Ciaz era)
- Innova the new variant goes to 23-24 L
- VW Polo TSi is about 11+L
- Hyundai i20 diesel crosses 10 L easily, automatic 11.
- Creta crosses 15 L for a good variant.
- Entry-mid level cars are now averaging at 5L, the same price I got my high-end 1.4 litre engine Getz for (which is above i20 level super-hatch).

The only models that are getting discounted or price-corrected are those that are in poor demand, S-Cross was the first, followed by Ford's Figo twins, then Fiat of course runs perpetual discounts. Demand is a sole driver of prices, like it or not.. we had an 800 earlier and I was too young to know it then but recently came to know that a premium of 30k was paid to Suzuki for priority delivery (30k nearly 2 decades ago) and I just felt like laughing when I heard it.. have the times changed or what.

All said I believe Hyundai are getting better at what they do, yes times have changed a bit and when I sit in an equivalently sized Hyundai today (Grand i10/Elite i20/Xcent) it bears zero resemblance to the Getz, they feel tinny and lack the outright power delivery. However one has to seriously inspect the high-end Hyundai's like Elantra and Tucson before commenting.. they are very well fused together and exude solidity inside out. Its the only company which has mastered the art of reliability amongst the best in the world, with solidity amongst the best in the world (5 Star safety ratings in ENCAP, GNCAP and NHTSA for both Tucson & Elantra).

How the Indian models will fare is something I cannot comment on, I can only assume that they won't be as good as their international models due to various reasons (the Indian Elantra for example does not use heat-bonded aerospace grade gluing technology for rigidity that the international variants use), but they shouldn't be bad at all.

The Tucson has been getting praises for its drivability left right and centre, the Elantra however hasn't got nearly so much praise.. surprising that a much taller car meant to be a soft-roader is called car-like and extremely agile in most reviews (I don't trust Indian reviewers for any car due to extreme bias). It wont sell in great numbers, that never was a secret to begin with, it might do double digits at best like the Yeti, however I do think that there are some sleeper cars which are rarely sold, expensive, yet ones which the owners enjoy to the absolute and this maybe one of them. Yeti, Getz, Punto, old gen Fiesta etc are some of others.

Last edited by dark.knight : 19th November 2016 at 08:50.
dark.knight is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2016, 14:40   #300

Is ground clearance of 172 mm going to be trouble for bad roads? My Honda City has 165 mm and it is a problem on bad roads. Bottom gets hit on massive bumps or large potholes. 172 mm does not instill the same confidence as 205 mm of my Duster. Any views?

Last edited by manson : 19th November 2016 at 14:49. Reason: Typo.
greatestmj is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed