Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2016, 13:09   #211
BHPian

re: The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched

That's incredibly steep pricing for a Hyundai 2WD crossover. While I have the budget, I simply can't spend 30+ lakhs OTR on this one. Since Santa Fe has some great offers, I think a Santa Fe 2WD AT is going to cost almost the same as that of a Tucson 2WD AT GLS. I am now getting a feeling that Santa Fe is a VFM offering after waiting for a Tucson for nearly 4 months and Hyundai just lost one of its potential customer for good.
ece2k2 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 13:11   #212
Team-BHP Support

New Hyundai Tucson - India launch around the corner?

This is what I received as Mumbai prices from a dealer. Ex showroom and without octroi. Posting as received. I'll comment in more detail when I see on road mumbai since thats all I understand but it seems like they should have been a bit more competitive.

#Ex-Showroom Price (w/o octroi) for "TUCSON" model :-
-- Petrol : 2.0 ltr : 2WD : MT : ₹ 18.99 lacs.
-- Petrol : 2.0 ltr : 2WD : AT : GL : ₹ 21.79 lacs.

-- Diesel : 2.0 ltr : 2WD : MT : ₹ 21.59 lacs.
-- Diesel : 2.0 ltr : 2WD : AT : GL : ₹ 23.48 lacs.
-- Diesel : 2.0 ltr : 2WD : AT : GLS : ₹ 24.99 lacs.

Last edited by Axe77 : 14th November 2016 at 13:12.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 13:16   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govindremesh View Post
RIP Honda CR-V. I wonder if they will be able to sell a single unit of the car after the launch of Tucson; fantastic pricing by Hyundai! It remains to be seen if it can impact the Endeavor and Trailblazer. I doubt it would rattle the new Toyota Fortuner as this one is a 5 seater.
Agree, with the 1.6L Diesel the CRV is killed for sure, but still the pricing is on a higher side + manual & AWD variants missing.
Old 14th November 2016, 13:23   #214
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the feature list, i wonder whether its worth buying the GLS version since the GL is so comprehensively equipped. The additional premium for the GLS doesn't seem worth it.

On a separate note, the Hexa will seem exceptional VFM post this pricing. the target audience will largely be the same for both, and the Hexa looks way more butch.
himanshugoswami is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 13:29   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RIP Honda CR-V. I wonder if they will be able to sell a single unit of the car after the launch of Tucson; fantastic pricing by Hyundai! It remains to be seen if it can impact the Endeavor and Trailblazer. I doubt it would rattle the new Toyota Fortuner as this one is a 5 seater.
I agree to an extent that the CR-V will be affected, but Endeavour I don't think so, its a Genuine Off-Roader & a seriously good machine. I wont comment on Trailblazer, because i haven't seen it for quite a while & the only one in my city belongs to the owner of the Dealership. This simply tells you the status of that car. Tuscon Pricing is introductory, but already on steep side. If it is impressive as a product, people looking for a 5 Seater might consider this (Like Me). Lets wait for TeamBHP Official Review (I hope it will be out sooner or later)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
That's incredibly steep pricing for a Hyundai 2WD crossover. While I have the budget, I simply can't spend 30+ lakhs OTR on this one. Since Santa Fe has some great offers, I think a Santa Fe 2WD AT is going to cost almost the same as that of a Tucson 2WD AT GLS. I am now getting a feeling that Santa Fe is a VFM offering after waiting for a Tucson for nearly 4 months and Hyundai just lost one of its potential customer for good.
Agree, felt the Pricing to be steep. Are you sure about Great Offers on Santa FE ? Last month i had enquired & they were offering 2 lakhs on 4WD AT, while 2WD MT & AT was offered discounts of 60k. This doesn't make it VFM at all. It still is expensive at 36+ lakhs. For that money, i would rather buy the Brilliant New BMW X1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Agree, with the 1.6L Diesel the CRV is killed for sure, but still the pricing is on a higher side + manual & AWD variants missing.
Dont think Honda will ever launch CR-V 1.6 Diesel anytime soon. Only hope is on Next Gen Model slated for launch in Mid/Late 2017.

I expect the AWD variants of Tuscon to be even more expensive.
CarguyNish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 13:31   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The top variant of the Tucson (2WD AT GLS) is expected to be priced at around Rs 27 lakhs, OTR Delhi.
Birdies were right.

Considering the variant spread and the engine+transmission options listed, I would say that the entire lineup is overpriced by at least a lakh, with the diesels at a premium of at least 1.5 lakhs, if not more.

Surely the success of the Creta & the Elantra has gone to the Hyundai pricing department's head.

What's more interesting to note, however, is the price difference across variants:

Between Base MT variants of petrol/diesel = Rs 2,60,000,

but

Between GL AT variants of petrol/diesel = Rs 1,69,000!!

Also,

Between Base MT & GL AT petrols = Rs 2,80,000,

while

Between Base MT & GL AT diesels = Rs 1,89,000!!

I would sure like a shot of what the Hyundai pricing guys are smoking. Should be some heady, mind-boggling stuff!
RavenAvi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 13:41   #217
BHPian

Re: New Hyundai Tucson - India launch around the corner?

Quote:
are you serious ?
Theory of relativity sir. By looking at the Creta prices, I expected this one to start no less than 20 lakhs ex showroom for base petrol. Hyundai would definitely place this product a level up from the Creta to avoid cross shopping. Hence my comment.

In a global perspective, it is indeed heavily overpriced. Here in Kuwait, the GLS Petrol automatic costs about equivalent of 14 lakhs INR. While the car in India won't be a runaway success, I don't see this being dead either. In times where roads are getting more congested, people may go in for this 5 seater instead of the bulky 7 seaters available in the price range.
govindremesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 13:41   #218
BHPian

What is the difference between the top end model and second one? I am worried the AWD will hit 30+ on road in Ahmedabad :(.
Old 14th November 2016, 13:41   #219
Senior - BHPian

With pricing like this, I can't see this impacting the Endeavour, Fortuner or Crysta at all. What it will do is take away sales from the D1 segment sedans, particularly the Octavia I imagine, since we love our SUV's, urban or otherwise. The pricing is S-T-E-E-P though, no two ways about that.
iliketurtles is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 13:42   #220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post

Are you sure about Great Offers on Santa FE ? Last month i had enquired & they were offering 2 lakhs on 4WD AT, while 2WD MT & AT was offered discounts of 60k. This doesn't make it VFM at all. It still is expensive at 36+ lakhs. For that money, i would rather buy the Brilliant New BMW X1.

Dont think Honda will ever launch CR-V 1.6 Diesel anytime soon. Only hope is on Next Gen Model slated for launch in Mid/Late 2017.

I expect the AWD variants of Tuscon to be even more expensive.
While the official discounts were in the tune of 60k on 2WD AT Santa Fe a couple of months ago, I am sure you can push the discounts to a higher level if we negotiate hard as we are nearing the year end. Also, I was under the impression that Santa Fe wasn't a VFM unless I heard Tucson's prices today. Santa Fe is still not a VFM compared to other similarly priced cars on the market though, it is just better than its younger sibling.

It is interesting to note that this 24.99 is an introductory pricing for a 2WD. I just can't imagine the cost of a 4WD Tucson when the introductory pricing wouldn't be applicable.

The problem is Tucson is neither here nor there kind of car now at this pricing. Tucson is going to struggle to sell decently and would ultimately end up losing the game in the resale market as well - similar to Santa Fe's situation which commands a very poor resale for a Hyundai. Heck, even a BMW X1 might depreciate less than a Tucson going by this logic and it makes a lot of financial sense to opt for the X1 with that amazing engine-gearbox.
ece2k2 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 13:45   #221
BHPian

Everyone thought Creta was overpriced by at least 1-1.5 lakh INR at the launch but you never know how Indian market will respond. Success of Creta, despite being overpriced, must have contributed to the steep pricing of Tucson.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 13:51   #222
BHPian

Quote:
In times where roads are getting more congested, people may go in for this 5 seater instead of the bulky 7 seaters available in the price range.
precisely! ease of driving combined with premium features was the sole reason I was waiting for Tucson so far. I just can't understand why would someone who is going to spend 30 lakhs on a Hyundai won't buy a similarly sized and dynamically better BMW at 35 lakhs. Tucson's long term reliability and resale value aren't assured either. The only advantage I see is lower service costs, but if Tucson starts depreciating like a Santa Fe, you are going to lose more on resale compared to X1. Correct me if I am wrong!
ece2k2 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 13:55   #223
BHPian

The base version exists simply to peg the starting price below 20L. It is quite useless as many basic features are missing at around 21L on road.

- Fabric upholstery
- No 18" Diamond cut alloys
- No Automatic climate control
- No Rear AC vent
- Manual Seat adjustment
- No keyless entry
- No Drive mode selection

Again, most of the good features are not present in the petrol top end. This strategy from Hyundai is bewildering. Even among the petrol variants, the AT has more features. So anyone wanting MT is left with the base version which is not worth buying.

In short, Hyundai is targeting Diesel AT customers to give away their best in class features.

Last edited by SDP : 14th November 2016 at 14:56. Reason: Please restrict smiley usage to 2 per post
aviraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 13:58   #224
BHPian

Probably people at Hyundai compared it with Santa Fe and priced accordingly? Of course, the sales numbers of Santa Fe (around 20 cars last month) don't show that the car is priced well. I guess that the fate of the Tucson will be more or less similar to its bigger sibling.
Old 14th November 2016, 14:00   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
precisely! ease of driving combined with premium features was the sole reason I was waiting for Tucson so far. I just can't understand why would someone who is going to spend 30 lakhs on a Hyundai won't buy a similarly sized and dynamically better BMW at 35 lakhs. Tucson's long term reliability and resale value aren't assured either. The only advantage I see is lower service costs, but if Tucson starts depreciating like a Santa Fe, you are going to lose more on resale compared to X1. Correct me if I am wrong!
Forget anything else, if BMW / Audi / Mercedes discounts are anything to go by; I should be able to get a similarly equipped X1 (key features at least) for a little bit more (say 3-4L).
Much better engine, branding, and drive for sure; if I am going to be driving this SUV. The X1 may not be as spacious, but can't have it all.

If I want spacious, there is the Innova - undisputed king as far as comfort goes.

Plus - this is introductory pricing. I am sure it'll end up being almost INR 1L more expensive in a year.

Still - there is just no competition for it. If the Innova is too taxi-like, and the X1 just not comfortable enough - this is where the Hyundai steps in.
lamborghini is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed