Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2006, 13:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude
Suman made the point above. Fortuner is based on same platform as Innova.
Out here the base (thats REALLY base) Fortuner sells at a 35-odd% premium over the base Innova. The mid-range Fortuners sell at the price point earlier occupied by the lower-end Prados. So it isnt exactly cheap, platform or no platform.
Old 15th September 2006, 14:10   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

So a base in India would work out to 13 lakhs?

Quote:
Anything above 16L on-road, and Dorothy stays in Kansas.
The CRV costs over 16 lakhs on the road in Mumbai. It is also more expensive than the Accord.
Old 15th September 2006, 14:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Out here the base (thats REALLY base) Fortuner sells at a 35-odd% premium over the base Innova. The mid-range Fortuners sell at the price point earlier occupied by the lower-end Prados. So it isnt exactly cheap, platform or no platform.
A 35% over the base Innova here would still leave it below 12 lacs......and the lower end Prados in Dubai would be retailing at a much lower price than here....would probably be retailing at the Endeavour price point in the Indian market?

Last edited by suman : 15th September 2006 at 14:34.
Old 15th September 2006, 16:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It ain't cheap but as long as it is below 15L, it will sell well. Even if one assumes the premium of 40% over Innova, the price point (lower than 15L) is still achievable.

BTW, I looked at the bases prices for Innova and Fortuner at Toyota Philippines website (http://www.toyota.com.ph/) and there seems to be a premium over Innova of 35-40% for 4X2 and more than 50% for 4X4
Old 15th September 2006, 16:15   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
A 35% over the base Innova here would still leave it below 12 lacs.....
No taxes in Dubai. 35% price difference would mean 35% + Excise duty on the incremental 35%, if one were to assume the same price differential. Also note that the Fortuner is not really big on seating space - the mid-row is only slightly better than the Scorpio's.

HOwever, please note that the Innova costs more than the Corolla here......how would that put things in perspective?

One can also get a Hummer H3 or a Dodge Durango for about the price of the top-end Fortuner (4.5 litre V6).

So I'm beginning to think that Innova-Fortuner price differential is not really an indicator - SORRY.

Last edited by Steeroid : 15th September 2006 at 16:17.
Old 15th September 2006, 18:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HOwever, please note that the Innova costs more than the Corolla here......how would that put things in perspective?
Funny you should mention that! I was chatting with a friend who's just bought a Civic & he already has an Innova. Now the reason he mentioned he didn't consider the Corolla was because he thinks it's overpriced. His logic being that for lesser price than the Corolla he gets a good diesel engine, more space, good interiors and good amount of equipment in the Innova. Try as I might I couldn't help but agree with him on that point.
Old 15th September 2006, 22:47   #22
BHPian

but one is a sedan and the other a truck!
Old 16th September 2006, 01:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
The CRV costs over 16 lakhs on the road in Mumbai. It is also more expensive than the Accord.
More expensive than the 2.4, yes. Not the V6.

The CR-V sells for 2 reasons.

A) Because it's a HONDA.
B) It's an automatic marketed at the urban wannabes. The manual's sales are pretty low compared to the A/T.

The Tucson took the fight to the CR-V, and look what happened. Chevy doesn't command as much loyalty or value as Hyundai. Here in India. Therefore, if GM wants volumes, it HAS to price it keeping the competition in mind.

Besides, it's a rebadged Daewoo. Good engineering, on-par quality, but limited brand value. Yes, the Optra A.K.A Nubira is a success, but with the onslaught of competition, look what's happening...
Old 16th September 2006, 11:32   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
More expensive than the 2.4, yes. Not the V6.
But when the CRV is a 4 cylinder itself...why bring the V6 into the picture?
Old 16th September 2006, 13:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

@GTO: Ah, ok. Like that. Well, I thought you meant Accord, as in ALL variants. Which brings me to one thing; shouldn't the V6 have been available in the CR-V as well....? The Accord V6 weighs 1530 Kgs, and the CR-V weighs 1550. A potential increase of another 50 Kgs wouldn't have hurt the biggie. Perhaps a V6 manual CR-V (as in Vitara) would've been more popular...
Old 18th September 2006, 11:17   #26
BHPian

With India, there is no base no same platform thingy!

When it launches then u will see what i mean.

This FortuneR is better than CRV, Tucson, Xtrail, Terracan, and even Montero. now why will toyota price it below the CRV and Tucson, definately no way!

Whatever it be, India is not having any favours from anyone. so its betta to be realastic about the pricing.

talking abt sales, how many here expected the Laura to be a hit and having high sales? hardly a few...
Old 18th September 2006, 21:12   #27
BHPian

IMO, there are 2 most good looking compact suv in the world
now,1 is Captiva,2 is Grand vitara.
Old 18th January 2007, 12:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I only have to say this - If GM prices the Captiva at 18-20 they can kiss their sorry *** goodbye! The market demand right now is for a good SUV in the range of 14-16L anything above & it'll sell like the Tucson/Terracan/X-Trail. Hell if priced right even crap like the Enadeavour sells in decent numbers, so IMHO the game for GM is to price the product right & not strip it down too much.
Priced too high the Captiva too will go the Forrester way.
Reliable Source:- The Captiva is aimed to take marketshare from Honda CRV and
is going to be priced around 15L on road and is to be launched in the middle of the year.. They really feel the Indy is not really in the same league.. It will come fully loaded in order to compete with the CRV..

The engine is going to be a 2.0 Diesel, 1991 cc, 110 kW/150 hp

Last edited by rangaraj : 18th January 2007 at 12:58.
Old 21st January 2007, 00:05   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
Reliable Source:- The Captiva is aimed to take marketshare from Honda CRV and
is going to be priced around 15L on road and is to be launched in the middle of the year.. The engine is going to be a 2.0 Diesel, 1991 cc, 110 kW/150 hp
Hey rangaraj could you please share the source of your information
I went to UK in october and the captiva was not launched there ...the reason that a dealer gave me was that the company was still working on the RHD version and he further added that it would not be here before first quarter of 2007 ...

Its hard to digest that a car that is not yet launched in U.K and several other european and asian countries 'll be here in mid 2007 (lets not forget these countries are the biggest market for Captiva) ...
I have my doubts ... But theres no denying that the captiva looks fantastic .
Old 21st January 2007, 11:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_78 View Post
Hey rangaraj could you please share the source of your information
From a major dealer of GM is south India... For the spark one of the biggies of GM - possibly their chief designer is likely to come.. So they will announce three new products before August - the Spark, the diesel version of the optra and the captiva (with the 2L diesel version)..

regarding the availability of captiva - its been launched in many countries.. Here are a few pointers:

Chevrolet Captiva - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Holden - 4WD/AWD: Captiva
General Motors - GM Europe - Brands - Chevrolet - Captiva

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks