Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2007, 12:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_78 View Post
I went to UK in october and the captiva was not launched there ...the reason that a dealer gave me was that the company was still working on the RHD version and he further added that it would not be here before first quarter of 2007 ...
Captiva was developed in Australia by Holden. Australia drives on the Left side of the road so yes an RHD version has been available from start.

They may have other reasons for not launching in the UK.
Old 21st January 2007, 15:00   #32
BHPian

@rangaraj - Ya ,the spark and the diesel optra are slated for launch in march-april 2007 ....

[quote=rangaraj;359089] So they will announce three new products before August - the Spark, the diesel version of the optra and the captiva (with the 2L diesel version)..

You mean they 'll announce the launch ofthe new captiva as well and that too before august 2007 ...
If thats true ,then theres no denying that GM is trying hard to work on their goal and that is to grab 10% of the inidan car market share by 2010 ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Captiva was developed in Australia by Holden.
Nope ,the captiva was developed in korea by GM daewoo ...
Article: Chevrolet Captiva
Old 13th February 2007, 19:27   #33
BHPian

Captiva delayed ...

Okie guys ,I was there at a GM dealership with my friend to get his Optra serviced and coincidently i met with the GM's sales head(he was there for a regular visit) and i generally asked him about the Captiva and i was told that it was planned for a launch in the third quarter but now it 'll be launched either by the end of this year or most probably beginning of the next year ... A bad news for all the SUV fans .
Old 14th February 2007, 17:54   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_78 View Post
Okie guys ,I was there at a GM dealership with my friend to get his Optra serviced and coincidently i met with the GM's sales head(he was there for a regular visit) and i generally asked him about the Captiva and i was told that it was planned for a launch in the third quarter but now it 'll be launched either by the end of this year or most probably beginning of the next year ... A bad news for all the SUV fans .
Typical GM. Again delay! I am sure competitors(Honda,Maruti,Hyundai) will get newer machines by then. GM will be in same situations as it was in Aveo / Uva case. Why can't they get faster if it CBU way?
Old 9th February 2008, 22:34   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I only have to say this - If GM prices the Captiva at 18-20 they can kiss their sorry *** goodbye! The market demand right now is for a good SUV in the range of 14-16L anything above & it'll sell like the Tucson/Terracan/X-Trail. Hell if priced right even crap like the Enadeavour sells in decent numbers, so IMHO the game for GM is to price the product right & not strip it down too much.

Priced too high the Captiva too will go the Forrester way.
Their dealers would disagree with you. I have asked mine and as per him all the CAPTIVAS alloted to him are booked and this is one of the best responses he has seen from any GM vehicle. CRV will face the heat very shortly as ENDEAVOUR is no match for Captiva.

Also contrary to other people's thoughts, AWD and traction control is not the biggest of issues. Surely we people rave these on these forums but average SUV buyer is hardly moved as it all boils down to practicality

The bottomline is at 18 lacs, there is no match for CAPTIVA, luxury wise, equipment wise, maintenance wise and performance wise.
Old 10th February 2008, 11:50   #36
BHPian

I went to see the captiva and they said that they still had not got RTO clearance, so could not offer test drives till next week. Doing the rounds of test drives this week - tried the GV, will try the CRV and the captiva when they are available..
Old 10th February 2008, 11:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Also contrary to other people's thoughts, AWD and traction control is not the biggest of issues. Surely we people rave these on these forums but average SUV buyer is hardly moved as it all boils down to practicality

The bottomline is at 18 lacs, there is no match for CAPTIVA, luxury wise, equipment wise, maintenance wise and performance wise.
I would tend to agree - I think Captiva will be the surprise winner in that segment.
Old 10th February 2008, 12:56   #38
BHPian

Based on what i saw briefly in the showroom, the interiors are about the closest to the CRV in terms of quality and features. Its got two aspects going for it - Diesel and 7 seats. What is has going against it are 2WD (not that too many of the buyers will consider as a significant hurdle) and the other being a possible after sales support issue (with dealers dropping off and queues rivaling Skoda for servicing and repairs). GM can only blame themselves if they dont make it a success..
Old 11th February 2008, 04:24   #39
BHPian

I read on carwale that FE is around 5! Won't that be a problem?

I think if a person is paying around 2 million for a car, he wont bother much about FE. but still 5 is way too low (if its correct).
Old 11th February 2008, 12:01   #40
BHPian

Captiva is not available with Auto transmission and hence, its a let down. Driving even a manual transmission car is pain in city- so I am waiting for Scorpio Automatic as that seems to be the closest news I can get to an auto suv- since CRV auto is far too off my radar with its price and petrol engine.
Old 11th February 2008, 12:52   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Captiva is not available with Auto transmission and hence, its a let down. Driving even a manual transmission car is pain in city- so I am waiting for Scorpio Automatic as that seems to be the closest news I can get to an auto suv- since CRV auto is far too off my radar with its price and petrol engine.
Auto DSG usually kills Fuel Economy (one of the biggest issue in India). It's a fancy tit-bit for sure but in the long term, most consumers are satisfied with manual versions. Ask any CRV or GV buyer and he/she will let you know.

Scorpio and Captiva - poles apart in just about everything. We are comparing Captiva to CRV and not Scorpio, Safari or even Endy.

The real competition to Captiva is from Santa FE and not these petrol siblings (Mitsubishi Outlander included). 4WD or not, Auto DSG or not, Captiva will sell.
Old 11th February 2008, 13:32   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanmay_ambre View Post
I read on carwale that FE is around 5! Won't that be a problem?

I think if a person is paying around 2 million for a car, he wont bother much about FE. but still 5 is way too low (if its correct).
The FE cant be that low, it will be close to 15, it has the same engine as the Optra Magnum with a higher bhp tuning.
Old 11th February 2008, 17:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
The FE cant be that low, it will be close to 15, it has the same engine as the Optra Magnum with a higher bhp tuning.
Is it so? i guess the captiva is over 2 tonnes then the engine would be under stress all the time also i feel it would not be on par with crv in terms of power. then selling points would be:
1. its a diesel
2. may be more torque.

raj
Old 17th April 2008, 11:12   #44
BHPian

When is automatic Captiva getting launched? Wish Captiva AT and Scorpio AT get launched at the same time so that I dont have to wait for launch of the other vehicle for comapring and deciding. Outlander is getting farther out of the radar.

Most Viewed