Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2015, 12:16   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more

The products seem confusing. Whether one would call it market focussed rather than focussed on passion, performance etc, no one knows.

They are so much better in engineering but continue to give cars like mobilio and now the BRV. It looks like a tall person who has only bones and no muscle in his body. Very anaemic looking. Their designs are really boring too.

Having owned Integra type R, Prelud SH, Civics, Accord, looks like I might not own an Honda in India ever !

Last edited by srishiva : 30th November 2015 at 12:17.
srishiva is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 13:01   #32
BHPian

What I liked:
  • Handsome looking front.
  • Seats look great and it looks like back support will be excellent. Finishing also looks great with proper plastic covers for floor hooks.
  • Clean finishing under the seats!
  • Split second and third row seats! Great work there.
  • Whoa! Loads of boot space!!
  • Fit and finish seems to be very good in this vehicle.

What I dislike
  • Bulky looking rear
  • Side profile not to my taste. I prefer straight sharp lines than weird lines running across. The kink in back window looks awful!
  • Alloys are not to my taste, maybe a hit or a miss.
  • Poor choice of tyre size!
  • El-cheapo looking head unit. Looks like an after market fitment and the dash itself seems to have things placed without much thought.
  • The cubby holes look as though they won't be of much use. Size and width wise.
  • Awful looking steering unit and gear lever.
  • Look at the hook on top of the glovebox - Looks awful! The glovebox itself is shaped weirdly in my opinion.
  • Boot is deep, but tapered edges means the loading may not be very convenient
  • The interior lights look el-cheapo
  • Auto dimming IRVM not present
  • Rear Seat legroom looks decent, but doesn't seem to be in the leagues of city or other honda cars.
  • The roof mounted air con vents looks like after market fitment.
sudeepg is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 13:08   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
I hope Honda launches it soon enough as the Creta seems to be running away at the moment. I hope they price it along the lines of the City and not go above and beyond the Creta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
Nice pictures and the BR-V does look good, pricing will matter and going by the history they will definitely price it higher than the Creta ! ( Straight "H" is seemingly more premium than the slant "H" ). Hope they kit it well enough.
I sure hope not.

The BR-V is based on the Mobilio which in turn is based on the Brio's platform. The Creta, on the other hand, has more in common with the Verna than a Grand i10. For starters, the BR-Vs cabin width will be the same as a 4 lakh hatchback (i.e. Brio).

Honda had better price this one competitively. The Creta shouldn't be their benchmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hondas are surely losing their charm. Here is a picture of the Civic that was designed some years ago by the same company. Doesn't it look much better than their current designs?
Completely agreed. I don't like the BR-V's styling at all. The Mobilio looks great for an MPV, but the BR-V doesn't look nice for an SUV.

In their focus on the <10 lakh segment, Honda has given up on the 10+ lakh segments. That shouldn't be the case. Bring the new Civic & Accord home!
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 17:57   #34
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, I don't like any products from Honda based on Brio platform. BR-V may have better front and interiors than Mobilio but that's not saying much. It looks more of a hybrid of a MUV and SUV. I am sure they will price it higher than City given it has 7 seats and probably better equipment like projectors, bigger wheels and thicker rubber. The Creta is not exactly value for money but it does look desirable and premium enough!
From the sales point of view, I think it will make good numbers just for the combination of 7 seater + SUV (somewhat) + brand value.

I am waiting for Honda India to bring the new Civic and the HR-V to India. Those will be some worthy upgrades for me.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 18:36   #35
Senior - BHPian

Great review - nice to read & comprehensive.

Having said that - the car / SUV / ? is quite unimpressive, the rear being a huge sore. Had they stuck to 5 seats - I feel it would have been way more proportionate.

Just my 2 cents
Ricky_63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 22:40   #36
BHPian

Seems like this guy will have the same fate as the mobilio if priced close to 10L. Looks like a cross-mobilio / brio /amaze. I dont expect city like dynamics for this car.

Add to that the tinny 'new-gen' honda safe - crumple zone tech body. You have a good recipie for a market dud. The dashboard has been designed by Mr Maker himself. The front end looks stunning though.

I had loved the concept designs. Good that I did not wait till launch. The side profile looks 'loooooong' and boring. For me its just a cross-mobilio. Nothing exciting. Creta, duster, ecosport and s cross are in a different league.

It is a suv like hatch which is really an mpv. Or is it an mpv like hatch looking like an suv? Or is it really a hatch with mpv utility trying to look like an suv?
sandygordon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 10:47   #37
BHPian

Something is wrong with the designers at Honda. Either they are short of ideas or plain lazy. The upcoming SUV looks exactly like Mobilio from the side, just that the front is a bit levelled and ground clearance may be more. The thick chrome grill too seems to have stuck across all models. Is there any survey which says that Indians love that thick chrome mustache? The rear of the CRV is disproportianate too. At least they can take some design cues from Nissan, Hyundai etc. who seem to be doing a good job at least with external designs.
aviraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2015, 11:50   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
Something is wrong with the designers at Honda. Either they are short of ideas or plain lazy.
Well, it may have to do with what they have to work with. In comparison, the NSX, Clarity, S660 look great. Those were designed by Honda too.

If the design parameters tell them to build a 7 seater SUV from a Brio hatch platform and to a budget, how much latitude do they really have?
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

Honda has presented the production ready BR-V at the 32nd Thailand motor show, labelling the car an "active sport crossover". The BR-V has made its public debut for the first time, ahead of its official launch in Thailand early next year.

Link to Team-BHP news article

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-5.jpg
Old 2nd December 2015, 10:43   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, it may have to do with what they have to work with. In comparison, the NSX, Clarity, S660 look great. Those were designed by Honda too.

If the design parameters tell them to build a 7 seater SUV from a Brio hatch platform and to a budget, how much latitude do they really have?
I should have mentioned that my comments were specific to the Indian market. Honda has a great stable of good looking cars, SUVs but most of them dont make it to India for whatever reasons. Even the HRV would have been good competition to Creta and the likes, but they chose to modify the Mobilio instead. Lets wait and watch whether the public will lap it up or reject it.
Old 2nd December 2015, 11:29   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
I should have mentioned that my comments were specific to the Indian market. Honda has a great stable of good looking cars, SUVs but most of them dont make it to India for whatever reasons.
There is a very simple reason. Price!

At the motor show, I kept looking at the price tags for various cars that are also available in India. The price for a Japanese car in Japan is way higher than it is in India. This is before adding all the taxes in India.

Suzuki Alto CVT with an engine that gives 37kmpl costs ₹6.2L in Japan. Now add Indian taxes (VAT + Road tax), it may end up near ₹8-9L. So we will never get the latest stuff, as it costs too much for Alto target segment in India. Instead, we will get the old design (which has already recovered the investment) with old technology (which no rich country wants) at half the price. Such an Alto is THE highest selling car in the India for years now. Therefore, it makes no business sense getting the best stuff to India if the target segment for that car isn't willing to pay the price. It is only in the premium and luxury segments that Indian customers are willing to pay for the latest stuff.

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd December 2015 at 11:30.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 15:22   #42
BHPian

Dear Honda,

Thanks for the BR-V but er...can I have the Jade please?
Old 2nd December 2015, 15:54   #43
BHPian

Thanks for sharing your experience with the BR-V.
IMHO this looks hideous. May be because it looks like to mixed version of a MPV and and SUV. If the Mobilio was never in the market, this design could've appealed to more people, but now that Mobilio was a flop, similar looks might not pull the crowd for BR-V. Honda should have gone the true SUV way or even a introduced a tuned down Jade to India. This is just my opinion though.
Old 2nd December 2015, 15:56   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avikamail View Post
Thanks for the BR-V but er...can I have the Jade please?
I thoughts exactly... however Jade RS would be competing in an higher segment.

Here is a side shot of a moving Jade RS. It is sleeker than the BR-V.

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-pa270130.jpg
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2015, 23:48   #45
BANNED

Honda BRV ad..

Full details.. looks good in green.

http://www.honda-indonesia.com/model/br-v
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks