Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2016, 01:52   #316
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xplora- View Post
Paddle-shifters for CVT is a must, and its great to have that in other-wise boring linear feel.
Paddle shifters are good to have, but mostly is a gimmick for a CVT, as the ratios don't feel so tightly defined as in a DSG or torque converter AT.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 02:06   #317
BHPian

re: With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
Everybody seem to be cribbing about absence of touch screen in BR-V. I have a different opinion though. I have touch screen in Kwid and the Endeavour. It definitely offers more feature than old school button interface but has some negatives as well.
1. While driving you would be using the Steering buttons 99% of the time and it doesnot matter whether the main unit is touch or button.
2. While GPS is offered in most touch screen I would prefer the Google Maps anyday. I hardly use my GPS in the Kwid.
3. The touch screen is not as fast as the button interface.You can use a button interface headunit while driving without taking your eyes off,not with Touch screen though.
4. Reverse camera if integrated with head unit becomes quite helpful. However you can always get it in Rear view mirror these days.
5. And last but not the least, a hung touch screen can get quite irritating.

While the touch screens are more modern and feels premium they don't offer significant advantages over buttons unlike mobile phones. I would anyday prefer a better sounding old school button music system with bluetooth than average sounding touch music system.
It is not an issue of "touch-screen" per se. It could be a button based AVN with a reasonably large screen. There are lot of car centric functions and information display that integrated AVNs do ie several Auto data / CANBus integration. Large screen is obviously useful than a small screen or no screen for such things. Integration of reverse camera / sensor is essential and now considered as "expected" in similar priced cars.

Everyone prefers using Google maps, may be the AVN should have Android Auto or atleast Mirror Cast the smart phone screen.

The biggest crib is the unit that is there in lieu of the touch-screen AVN. It looks like two separate pieces glued to make it look like one. Oh and one more thing, I tried the FM radio briefly during my TD today, and it did not impress me at all, granted it was FM so 32k sampling and I did not tune anything but still..definite need of aftermarket ICE.
-xplora- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 03:16   #318
Team-BHP Support

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
Sorry for poor quality pics, sales rep through WhatsApp.

What happened to the steering wheel that was shown for the media drive? Production variants get the same Amaze steering wheel?

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-imageuploadedbyteambhp1462484793.886211.jpg

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-imageuploadedbyteambhp1462484810.982590.jpg

The one given during media drives was based on the earlier generation City and looks much better than the Amaze one IMO.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th May 2016 at 03:18.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 05:19   #319
BHPian

I test drove the BRV at a nearby dealership. The car happened to be a diesel. It sounds fine till 40kmph beyond which the engine clatter starts affecting the cabin. Visibility is decent and the size is just about right. I quite liked the effortless clutch and gearbox combination but would prefer to wait for CVT and petrol test drive vehicles before making up the mind.
hondacity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 07:44   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
I think BR-V to Creta will be what Jazz was to i20. It will sell decently well, around 3000 units a month, which is not a failure at any scale, but not close enough to torment Creta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Not a fair comparison IMHO. I think the BR-V will do better, mainly for 1 reason: 7 seats. I think it'll eat up some bookings from the Creta.
Agree with landcruiser123. Remember what new City did to Verna. BR-V has all the ingredients (Looks, Price, Positioning, Brand value, A.S.S. plus the 7 seats advantage) to be a big market success, it may not dethrone Creta though.
S.MJet is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 08:19   #321
BHPian

Wonder what's keeping Honda from launching Diesel+CVT variants? Are there technical issues that prevent it?
Old 6th May 2016, 09:12   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What happened to the steering wheel that was shown for the media drive? Production variants get the same Amaze steering wheel?
I think the VX variant gets the steering wheel from the City, while the lower variants get the regular Amaze one. IMO they should've provided the City wheel on all variants.
Old 6th May 2016, 09:12   #323
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1504225

Attachment 1504226

The one given during media drives was based on the earlier generation City and looks much better than the Amaze one IMO.
BR-V brochure shows the new steering wheel. Maybe the floor model is still a pre-production model just for display
VIPER_SRT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 09:49   #324
BHPian

Quote:
Paddle shifters are good to have, but mostly is a gimmick for a CVT, .

Paddle Shifters are a great boon while overtaking. Without paddle shifters its dangerous to overtake in many scenarios on a highway.

I have a Jazz CVT with Paddle shifters, the above is coming our of my experience.
groom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 09:53   #325
Senior - BHPian

Went and saw the BR-V yesterday with a friend who has pre-booked it. This one is just a Mobilio-Cross!!! The front end looks great and butch but then you realize how low this car is standing when you compare it to a City standing right next to it in the showroom. It is seems barely taller than a City. This is no SUV, its more of a MUV - a mobilio wrapped in a different skin then?

The build quality is tinny compared to the Ecosport I drive. At one point, i seriously felt that the window glass was thinner than what am used to seeing on cars. Am sure it has positives like most cars do but nothing that makes you excited. All in all, i came back underwhelmed - maybe cause i'm not looking for car. But as an enthusiast, i was disappointed.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 6th May 2016 at 09:55.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 10:00   #326
BHPian

I see a lot of BRV's here and to be honest, it does not have a lot of road presence. You will mistake it for an evolution of a compact hatchback very easily. But here it makes sense because cars are expensive, Ford does not sell the Ecosport and reliability is paramount because most people keep driving their vehicles for more than 10 years.
So, the BRV makes sense. It is slightly more spacious than an average hatchback and does not command a large premium over an equivalent hatchback.
But in India things are different. People spending 17 lakhs on a car expect at least some road presence- a XUV or a Safari is far more effective in making an impression of being an SUV. For those who need a smaller car, the Duster, TUV and Ecosport are good options.
I think that the prices could have been lower- Jazz was well priced. Mobilio, despite its Indianized marketing, did not succeed because people took it to be expensive for what it had to offer. The City succeeded because it is a household brand name now- I've met many people who know of only one mid size luxury car - the City. The fact that it has been around for so long also helped its cause.
Summarizing my conjecture: The BRV is a good car that can possibly get shadowed in our market. It does not look too intimidating and won't find a lot of rural customers. It should do reasonably well in the Metros.
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 10:10   #327
BHPian

Went and saw it in the flesh. The only thing going for it is the 6/7 seats and the decent space/comfort for the passengers.

Forget all the reviews you have seen- this is just a redesigned/refresh Mobilio which will seat 6-7 adults+kids combo in comfort with their accompanying luggage.

The driver stance is not high enough to call it an SUV (i am coming from a Duster) You sit lower than in a Duster and this when the GC of BR-V is higher than it? there is some statistical jugglery going on here by Honda- I am sure they have not jacked up the Indian model any more than the Indonesian one which mentions its GC at 201mm only.

If one is in the market for a Automatic people-mover; this is their best bet. But at 14 Lac+ OTR in Delhi for the V CVT variant- its sure as hell not cheap.

IRVM with Reverse Parking Sensor/Camera is available as a Honda Accessory and should take care of their absence.

Honda has cut too many corners on this one; I am not sure what justifies the 1Lac+ hike over the Mobilio variant to variant.

Barely any crowd for it in the showroom - just 2 other customers who walked in while we were there.

I am literally torn between this and the Ecosport AT (10.7 OTR Delhi) which has better equipment, Safety kit and probably will seat 4 adult+kids in equal comfort after some "adjust karo".
BUXX is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 10:18   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
I think the VX variant gets the steering wheel from the City, while the lower variants get the regular Amaze one. IMO they should've provided the City wheel on all variants.
That's my guess as well. Unnecessary cost cutting IMO since even the BY one was taken from previous generation City, but looked much better than the Amaze wheel. Considering VX is mainly a leather package, sales would be very limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
BR-V brochure shows the new steering wheel. Maybe the floor model is still a pre-production model just for display
Hope so. But I guess the new steering wheel from the older City might only be for VX variant. The one in above pics is a V variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
It is seems barely taller than a City. This is no SUV, its more of a MUV - a mobilio wrapped in a different skin then?

The height difference between the two is just 63mm, out of which the difference in ground clearance is near 30mm, and the other 30mm should be due to the roof rails. Yes, it is a Mobilio cross with butch front looks, side cladding and high GC- and the side profile view reveals it all.
Old 6th May 2016, 10:21   #329
Senior - BHPian

Just when i was beginning to believe that cars cant get more boring and yawn inducing, Honda goes ahead and proves me wrong by launching the BRV. Im so glad i didn't wait for this (was in the market for an automatic petrol vehicle) and went ahead and booked a vento TSI instead, and saved over 2 Lakhs in the process!

Honda needs to realize that the halo around the brand when the civec and accord were at their peak, not to mention the first and second gent City, is all but over now and their vehicles today are a bit behind on most parameters vis a vis competition, including the once unassailable City.
himanshugoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 11:14   #330
Team-BHP Support

Not a bad attempt from Honda – probably the best of the lot in their budget avatar.
I actually liked the BRV’s looks; at least in pictures it got good presence and a nice stance. The 7-seater configuration also should play up to their advantage.

I don’t find the lack of touch screen interface as a huge disadvantage, but Honda should have played it better on safety. Not so long ago, Honda cars used to be much better on safety features (e.g.; previous gen City), starting from the base variant.
vb-saan is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks