BRV compared against the Hyundai Creta-

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 13:44   #482
BHPian

Re: With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
BRV compared against the Hyundai Creta-
Interesting to hear that the handling / braking / body-roll and steering are better than Creta. I was thinking VSA / ESC missing might be a huge issue.

On the negative side the report talks about the Honda diesel engine, which is obviously no comparison to Creta's, but I am sure when it comes to petrol iVtec the reverse is true especially petrol + CVT vs petrol + TC.

At 80-90k difference between the two, several missing components can be added ie touch-screen / Nav / Rev Cam / Leather pack / Garnishes. At equal pricing the Petrol VX and CVT V BR-V makes a strong case against petrol Creta and the like.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post and avoid quoting images / videos in your reply.

Quoting a full, long post with images / videos inconveniences our mobile readers

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th May 2016 at 16:54.
-xplora- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 12:31   #483
Senior - BHPian

I guess Honda finds itself in no-man's land with the BRV.

Our country is obsessed with SUV or more correctly SUV-ish looking vehicles and people are ready to pay a substantial premium for this. Honda has not been able to crack this. The front looks really nice but one look from the side and you know it's not a SUV. So, I don't think people are going to go crazy for the BRV and willing to pay a premium for it. Frankly, a 7-seater SUV needs to have bigger dimensions (width in particular) to retain the SUV-ish look and not fall into the MPV-category.

Secondly, the interiors do not give you the feel of a 12-15L vehicle. Yes, the interiors are much better than the Mobilio but basically same as the new Amaze. Now, Hyundai can get away with the Creta having similar interior quality as the I20 because the I20 feels premium inside and is not out of place in a 15L vehicle. Same is NOT the case with the Amaze.

So, both on the SUV-ish looks and interior quality/premium-ness/feel-good-factor for the price range, the BRV loses out. It has it's strengths but losing out on the above key factors along with noisy and relatively unrefined diesel engine, means it can only hope for a limited success (the petrol and automatic can see decent demand).The desirability expected from a vehicle of this class is simply not there!

I feel Honda is doing a mistake in trying to milk the Brio platform by using it for it's higher priced vehicles. The Brio platform is a low cost one and should be limited to small hatchbacks or sedans in a lower price range. Probably, a compact sub-4M SUV on the Brio platform going head to head with the Brezza/Ecosport will make more sense.

It's high time for Honda to bring the HR-V/Vezel to India even if the pricing is on the higher side. It will be a proper compact SUV in the 15L range and a worthy competitor to the Creta.

Last edited by adimicra : 18th May 2016 at 12:33.
adimicra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th May 2016, 22:10   #484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I feel Honda is doing a mistake in trying to milk the Brio platform by using it for it's higher priced vehicles. The Brio platform is a low cost one and should be limited to small hatchbacks or sedans in a lower price range. Probably, a compact sub-4M SUV on the Brio platform going head to head with the Brezza/Ecosport will make more sense.

It's high time for Honda to bring the HR-V/Vezel to India even if the pricing is on the higher side. It will be a proper compact SUV in the 15L range and a worthy competitor to the Creta.
Completely agree. The HR-V is a true Honda in every sense. It has been receiving great reviews abroad, and it would be the perfect competitor for the Creta, even if priced 50k higher.

A compact SUV on the Brio platform would've been perfect and would've given Honda some good volumes. Even if they were adamant on having a 7 seat SUV in their lineup, they should've worked harder to give the BR-V it's own unique identity in terms of the side profile and interiors in particular.

Not to say that the BR-V is a bad car. It is a good car and has its strengths. But Honda can do much better.
Aaron:) is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 13:06   #485
BHPian

Few more updates from my end:

- Got a call from Arya Honda yesterday, saying that 3 vehicles have got allotment and should get delivered by end of May. 80 more bookings are pending with them, their delivery estimate would be available by 1st week of June. They asked me to book the car, and said there would be no cancellation fees (Linkway had said 2% cancellation charge on booking amount of Rs 21,000)

- Went to Linkway Honda today to ask about my booking status and the SA said that they have given time to the pre-launch booking people to confirm their bookings by this weekend, so he would have a better picture for my waiting list number on monday! Lets see how true that is.

- The CVT TD vehicle (white) was available at his showroom today, as I was late for work, I decided not to do a TD today, but do it with family, including parents this weekend, will update you all how that goes. (The SA said that a lot of pre-launch-booking people were waiting for CVT TD and now that it has come, he hopes to get a confirmation decision from them soon!)

- The showroom had also kept a price list of accessories for the BRV, but the accessories guy said he is still waiting for some more clarity on options for rear camera units etc. Still, they quoted me a few options, a touch HU with Nav for 42k (blaupunkt), same HU without Nav for 32k, and a reverse cam with display on IRVM for 9k. They were not sure about the front armrest though!

Attaching the accessories price list here.
Attached Thumbnails
With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-brv-accessories-price-list.png  

Hvt77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 13:17   #486
Team-BHP Support

Any idea what is this Child Restraint System or CRS that is mentioned in the accessories?
Old 19th May 2016, 13:34   #487
Senior - BHPian

Saw the BR-V at a showroom over the last weekend. No TD vehicles were available yet.

My impressions:

1) Does not look like an SUV from any side. The Front head-on view was the most disappointing. reminded me of a dolphin with a snout. No wonder their ads show the car from a lower 3/4 angle always.

2) Is a 6 seater at most. 2nd row does not seat 3 adults ( tested with me, wifey and my 16yr old daughter.

3) Interiors are ok - Brio quality. Does not give the impression of a 14lac vehicle.

4) even though they claim 210mm GC, it feels like a mobilio on stilts. Ingress/Egresss is more car like than SUV. Comparitively, the Creta gives you the feel of a SUV even though they probably ride at the same height.

5) The BRV should have been made wider to compensate for the length, and give better overall proportions.

Will I test drive one ? Maybe not.
Replacing a Safari has its own challenges
smsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2016, 13:35   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Any idea what is this Child Restraint System or CRS that is mentioned in the accessories?
CRS is basically car seat for your infant or child who is less than 40 lbs. It's compulsory to have CRS in foreign countries if you have child for it's safety.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 14:43   #489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
I guess Honda finds itself in no-man's land with the BRV.
Completely agree with you. I have been to Honda Showroom last Sunday just to check out the new BRV. Showroom was closed but we could check out the car from outside. I had gone there with many hopes but I must say the car did not excite me.

If you are in the market for an SUV then BRV will disappoint you. The car looks very narrow and out of proportion. It definitely doesnt look like an SUV. So if one is in the market for an SUV, Creta looks better choice at present.

As an MUV it looks better than its competition but if you take into account price difference between Ertiga - the market leader and BRV then Ertiga makes turns out to be better choice. It has more equipment and is better value for money as compared to BRV.
rutvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2016, 16:34   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post

As an MUV it looks better than its competition but if you take into account price difference between Ertiga - the market leader and BRV then Ertiga makes turns out to be better choice. It has more equipment and is better value for money as compared to BRV.
I beg to differ with this . From an MUV perspective, BR-V is way ahead of Ertiga. I have driven both and BR-V has better driveability with good engine, better build quality. I got a chance to take it over broken roads with full of pot holes and it exceeded my expectations interms of ride quality, handling and tackled it with ease. It's a good VFM prospect if one is looking at the Petrol variant. I wouldn't mind paying those extra few Lakhs for BR-V over Ertiga for what it offers.

I almost decided on this, but just waiting for one long test drive on open roads with full load in it. Knowing iVtec, I am sure it won't disappoint.
Old 20th May 2016, 17:14   #491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
So if one is in the market for an SUV, Creta looks better choice at present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Comparitively, the Creta gives you the feel of a SUV even though they probably ride at the same height.
[quote=adimicra;3976654] Now, Hyundai can get away with the Creta having similar interior quality as the I20 because the I20 feels premium inside and is not out of place in a 15L vehicle. Same is NOT the case with the Amaze.

Just curious to know why Duster is completely left out of comparison. I only see comparisons made with Creta. Honda positions BRV against the likes of Creta/Duster/XUV mainly and the rest are all sub 4 meter cars including the Ecosports. BRV is also in the price band of Duster.
Old 21st May 2016, 12:15   #492
Team-BHP Support

Some more Honda BR-V Vs Hyundai Creta shootouts:

Print article from Zigwheels -
http://www.zigwheels.com/reviews-adv...-review/25454/

Video Review from CarDekho.com -
Old 21st May 2016, 16:49   #493
BHPian

IAB review is out HERE.

Verdict:
Quote:
There is nothing wrong or flawed with the BR-V, don’t get us wrong, its just that the rivals have set the bar very high. So, at the end of the day, the BR-V may appear a good alternative to a sub-4m 7-seater like the Mahindra TUV300 or NuvoSport, but for buyers wanting to shell upwards of INR 12 lakhs, our recommendation will still be towards the Hyundai Creta.
I kind of agree with the review. It just doesn't offer anything special apart from that extra row of seats (usability is a big question mark anyway). Lack of a proper music system, reverse camera etc are just too many deal breakers.

Last edited by avdhesh15 : 21st May 2016 at 17:14.
avdhesh15 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 17:02   #494
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
IAB review is out HERE.

Verdict:
I'd tend to agree. "It doesn't look like an SUV" is not a real downside - it still looks very nice from most angles. It's Honda, so reliability and long term ownership experience are likely plus points compared to most others. It's frugal, peppy enough and the FTD is high, for the form factor. And it can seat 6, despite being narrow. Interiors may be basic, but again, from past Honda experience, they age well.

It's the pricing that is out of whack with the product. At 12 tops, this would have been a serious winner.
zenx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2016, 20:57   #495
BHPian

Just test drove the BR-V petrol CVT today afternoon. After driving my City 5 speed A/T to the showroom, stepping into the BR-V felt like a total step down.
Interiors are lacklustre, cabin is much narrower and the acceleration is just unacceptable.
There's no armrest in the front either :/
KaranP is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks