Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2016, 19:00   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Again, that is not an MPV trait. Cab forward design (results in a more roomy passenger cabin) is the only factor that differentiates an MPV shape from a SUV shape. Look at the best selling MPV we have -

See anything in the window line?

If you have seen an MPV which has a window line similar to BR-V, its because the car designers wanted an airy cabin. That's all.
You are right. MPVs are mono-volume like Innova. Even Aria was perceived as an MPV because of this reason and now with more boxy nose it becomes an SUV ( Hexa).
I have not seen the BRV from close but it can be called as cross over SUV. Side profile and the overhang do not take away anything.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 19:23   #512
Team-BHP Support

According to me, the following type of criticism on BR-V's design and looks is illogical and irrational -

1) BR-V looks like Mobilio ( hey, many car manufacturers these days adopt "design languages" where front, back and side profile look awfully similar)

2) BR-V looks like MPV, doesn't look like a SUV (The lines are all blurred these days as to what a SUV really is. I think we should just call the BR-V a "car", and just get it over with! )

However, the following types of criticism on design of BR-V is logical (and hence acceptable) -

1) Design not proportional (too long, too narrow)
2) Too much chrome (front and back)

and so on.

Meanwhile, 4 years back, I had started a thread on what is the perfect all rounder car.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...car-india.html

I had rued that my choice didn't have automatic or 3 row seating or was not made by Japanese company. It look Honda 4 years to build me one!

Last edited by SmartCat : 22nd May 2016 at 19:24.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 19:36   #513
BHPian

Its a FACT tht the HONDA BRV is designed on the Platform of Mobilio..

Found this Picture where the MObilio and BRV are stacked together to Check there Design DIfferences.

Clearly, Honda has done an Amazing Job redesigning the Mobilio!!

If someone still finds it MUVish.. thts ok.
because, even I find Something Weird about Hyundai Creta Design(*Specially its Front)
kalleo4 is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2016, 19:42   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
According to me, the following type of criticism on BR-V's design and looks is illogical and irrational -

1) BR-V looks like Mobilio ( hey, many car manufacturers these days adopt "design languages" where front, back and side profile look awfully similar)

2) BR-V looks like MPV, doesn't look like a SUV (The lines are all blurred these days as to what a SUV really is. I think we should just call the BR-V a "car", and just get it over with! )
Illogical and irrational, that too on the way the car looks, bit harsh.

BRV is a re-engineered Mobilio, there is no doubt there. The side profile of both car looks quite similar and could be the reason why people find both cars to be similar.

SUV Vs MUV, ah, not going there, the line is quite blurry now a days. I have seen lot of Mobilio on road and to be frank, it was just like a normal sedan, the stance, a bit longer. I believe the same will apply for BRV.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 12:52   #515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
1) Design not proportional (too long, too narrow)
Too short IMO, with Length and width coming in as secondary. Infact, if the roof rails are removed, it doesn't have any height advantage over smaller stablemates like Brio and City.

Can see comparisons with Audi Q7, Ford Endaevour etc on the previous page. Those vehicles are huge - tall and long. Not just long.

Taken when i visited the showroom after launch -

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-brv_pic2.jpg

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 24th May 2016 at 13:02.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 12:58   #516
Team-BHP Support

In the concept drawings, they got the proportions right though!

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-concept1.jpg

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-concept2.jpg

Performance figures of Honda BR-V CVT (in blue) and diesel (green) from Autocar India -

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-p_20160524_125100_1_p.jpg
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 13:03   #517
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In the concept drawings, they got the proportions right though!
The problem with media pictures of the BRV (and the above concept drawings) is that they are all taken at the headlamp level, making it look impressive.

But in reality, if you stand next to the car - you look down at it like for small cars.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 13:31   #518
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Taken when i visited the showroom after launch -
In fact, the resemblance to the Duster is quite unmistakable from that photo angle.

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-duster270612.jpg
(Source)

It is a crossover, no two doubts about it.

IMO, Honda would have benefited more from making the BR-V a five-seater with an enormous boot and advertised it as such. It could have been the best Duster rival yet.
Old 24th May 2016, 14:11   #519
BHPian

Quote:
Too short IMO, with Length and width coming in as secondary. Infact, if the roof rails are removed, it doesn't have any height advantage over smaller stablemates like Brio and City.

Can see comparisons with Audi Q7, Ford Endaevour etc on the previous page. Those vehicles are huge - tall and long. Not just long.
Well in that case the "Perfect SUV" has 56mm less height than the BR-V, both have roof rails. It has 20mm less GC, 72mm less WB and still as several posts mention it is an SUV. Just because it is shorter ? Ironic.

The height to length additional proportional difference Q7 1:11 ie 54mm taller but 600mm longer !

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-brv-creta.jpg

Quote:
The problem with media pictures of the BRV (and the above concept drawings) is that they are all taken at the headlamp level, making it look impressive.

But in reality, if you stand next to the car - you look down at it like for small cars.
Front hood might not be as high as others, but I personally like the front way better than Creta. Adding two pics of eye-level 3/4th for a comparison, though not exactly the same angle, creta shot is taken at a lesser height making it look a little taller and chunkier.

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-brv-eyelevel.jpg
With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-creta.jpg

Creta looks like a hatch in this one. But then again, the "how it looks" debate is very subjective and never ending.
-xplora- is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 14:44   #520
BHPian

Went and saw one in flesh today at Arya Honda Prabhadevi. They had called last Saturday to tell me that the Petrol version had arrived so I went all eager. Turns out the Petrol version is only a display model and only the Diesel is available for test drives.

Anyhow, I came face to face with it as I was entering the showroom and someone else was taking it out for a drive. Looked suitably impressive from the front and as it passed by. Score +.

Went inside the showroom and after the above mentioned disappointment on the models, sat myself in the Petrol VX model. Pretty easy to get in and out of - Just the right height. I set the driver seat for myself and asked the missus to get in behind me (I'm 6'1" for reference). She could do so without any hassle. I then got in the last row behind her without moving any of the seats. I could get in without my knees banging the middle row. Score ++.

Middle seat moved a little distance ahead and recline changed and more space freed up in the last row to survive some distances. Score +++.

They had 2 suitcases lined up along the car to show that there is storage space even with all 3 rows up. The wife immediately decreed that this car is good as a 6 seater only for a weekend outing (Yeah, she's smart!). However, as a 4-5 seater, this is much better than my Corolla because I can now carry my kids' bikes by just folding up the last row. And it was pretty easy to fold it up and the headrests also didn't foul with the middle row. Score ++++.

Started discussing pricing and availability. He mentioned Mumbai price as 14.69 lakhs OTR. He also mentioned that they have received 250-300 bookings with ~60% for the CVT model. And I'm left wondering why they still don't have a CVT for test-rides . Score ++++-.

Is it an ideal upgrade for me? Hell no! But it is 5.5 lakh cheaper than the Crysta Gx Auto model and 11 lakh cheaper than the ZX Auto.
It fits the bill as an occassional 6-7 seater. For any really long multi people drives, I can just hire a XUV from Zoomcar if needed.
aptiwa is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 16:16   #521
Team-BHP Support

Yeah, the packaging of BR-V is a real head scratcher (in a brilliant way). I'm 6 feet 1 inches tall. Once I set my driving position, I can jump back to the 2nd row seat and the 3rd row seat too! All this in a car that is just 4.45 metres long - same as Corolla/Civic.

Oh yes, the 3rd row seating has knees up position for somebody like me, but hey, you read the review of any 7 seater - whether it is Endeavor or Audi Q7 - that's the first thing they point out (knees up position). I think having the spare wheel below the 3rd row is responsible for this issue - many years ago, spare wheel used to be mounted on the tailgate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptiwa View Post

Is it an ideal upgrade for me? Hell no! But it is 5.5 lakh cheaper than the Crysta Gx Auto model and 11 lakh cheaper than the ZX Auto.
It fits the bill as an occassional 6-7 seater. For any really long multi people drives, I can just hire a XUV from Zoomcar if needed.
That XUV from Zoomcar will have zero luggage space with all rows up. If you are going on a long trip with many passengers, you will have lots of luggage to carry. BR-V is still your best bet for long distance travel with 6 people because of the large boot. You can do the following to further increase the bootspace from 225 litres to something like 400 litres of your Corolla -

1) The backrest of the 3rd row is adjustable. Set the recline angle so that bootspace is increased. It is still reasonably comfortable at this position. I checked!
2) Raise the adjustable headrests of the 3rd row, up to the level of 3rd row passengers head.
3) Pack the luggage up to a level that is a little lower than adjustable headrest. Not too much though - Care should be taken so that luggage will not fly off like a projectile in case of impact.

Heavy large bags placed at the bottom, lighter smaller bags at the top.

Last edited by SmartCat : 24th May 2016 at 16:24.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 17:00   #522
BHPian

Quote:
That XUV from Zoomcar will have zero luggage space with all rows up. If you are going on a long trip with many passengers, you will have lots of luggage to carry. BR-V is still your best bet for long distance travel with 6 people because of the large boot.
Thanks. I was trying to suggest that the XUV or Innova will take care of the long-distance comfort. Of course, none of these can carry the luggage inside. Maybe the Aria can but then we all know where that is headed.
Old 24th May 2016, 17:52   #523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptiwa View Post
He also mentioned that they have received 250-300 bookings with ~60% for the CVT model. And I'm left wondering why they still don't have a CVT for test-rides . Score ++++-.

Hey Aptiva. We must be neighbours. I have pre-booked my BRV at the same dealership and from my various interactions, I doubt if they have more than 50 bookings overall. The sales guys must be taught to say this, as when I pre-booked on 19 April, they were stating the same number.

Quote:
Oh yes, the 3rd row seating has knees up position for somebody like me, but hey, you read the review of any 7 seater - whether it is Endeavor or Audi Q7 - that's the first thing they point out (knees up position). I think having the spare wheel below the 3rd row is responsible for this issue - many years ago, spare wheel used to be mounted on the tailgate.
I can confirm that the Pajerosport too has this same issue of knee up sitting in the last row.

Last edited by theMAG : 24th May 2016 at 22:58. Reason: Improving readability.
riteshritesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2016, 21:28   #524
BHPian

Honda-BRV next to Hyundai-Creta..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...1&d=1464105090
Attached Thumbnails
With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-13256537_10157056544855226_3903681299494071611_n.jpg  

kalleo4 is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 00:06   #525
AYP
Senior - BHPian

The BRV looks much better from the front. Though I have never been a fan of the Creta's looks.
AYP is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks