Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2019, 16:20   #226
BHPian

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
BTW will the BS-IV 'petrol' cars run fine on BS-VI fuel?
+1 to this.. I would also like to know what the answer to this is. My Tiago JTP has a BS4 engine.
Old 27th April 2019, 16:59   #227
BANNED

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
+1 to this.. I would also like to know what the answer to this is. My Tiago JTP has a BS4 engine.
They will happily. No issues at all. This is why I am still keeping our BS-IV stable and will sell them only after 1 April.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 19:06   #228
BHPian

I have a 2012 Altis Diesel (which means it’s a BSIII).
What happens to my vehicle from April 2020
Old 28th April 2019, 01:38   #229
BHPian

Below screen shot gives all the required NOx, SOx and other exhaust gas emission cap for BS-2,3,4 & 6 compared to EURO emission cap.

It is the responsibility of car makers to reduce the NOx emission in the exhaust gas within the cap set by BS6 regulations by specially designed fuel injectors and other parts.

Where as SOx emmission is controlled by BS6 compliant fuel, oil refineries produce fuel with lesser sulphur to meet the desired cap set by BS6 regulations.

It is true, many cars and SUVs are launched in India by Mahindra Alturas G4, Marrazo, Harrier and other cars with BS6 complaint engines. But vehicle registration will be done as BS4 only. I have checked with many car dealers, but they do not have any clue what are the procedures later to change our registration to BS6 from BS6 compliant engines.

It is better to wait for BS6 implementation and then go for buying our favourite vehicles.

Venkatesh.H
Attached Thumbnails
BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023-screenshot_20190428010750_word.jpg  

Venkatesh.H is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 19:53   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
They will happily. No issues at all. This is why I am still keeping our BS-IV stable and will sell them only after 1 April.
Can you comment on how reliable are the measurements in the Pollution Certificates we get from petrol pumps?

Am asking because going by the table posted by Venkatesh.H, my Jan'07 BS-III Getz petrol has half the CO levels, and 1/10th the HC levels of what the EURO6 limits are. (The NOx, PM levels etc. is obviously unknown/ not tested as of now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh.H View Post
Below screen shot gives all the required NOx, SOx and other exhaust gas emission cap for BS-2,3,4 & 6 compared to EURO emission cap...

Last edited by mn2363 : 28th April 2019 at 20:16. Reason: Typo
Old 28th April 2019, 20:09   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Wouldn't it mean BS4 for a diesel post 2010? I thought for NCR & listed 13 cities BS4 came into effect in 2010.

Am I missing something?
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 21:21   #232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Wouldn't it mean BS4 for a diesel post 2010? I thought for NCR & listed 13 cities BS4 came into effect in 2010.

Am I missing something?
You're right. The confusion arises mainly because manufacturers were allowed to manufacture BS-3 vehicles until April 2010, but their sale was not curbed in any way. What this means is, these BS-3 vehicles were sold at cheaper prices until the stocks lasted, which is why we have 2010 and 2011 registered vehicles that are BS-3 compliant. However, I don't think a 2012 Altis would be BS-3 compliant, since there's no way LonelyPlanet would've bought a car sitting with the dealer for 2 years.

Quote:
Nothing happens. Since you're not in the NCR, even the 10 year rule for diesel cars doesn't apply to you. Your car is fit to run till 2027, when its registration expires. I don't think the emission standards matter for cars that are already on our roads.

Case in point: I drive a '04 Santro Xing that's BS-2 compliant. It passes the pollution test every 6 months by a wide margin, and is healthy. Similarly, there are many such cars running around that are BS-2 or even BS-1 compliant. As long as your car clears the pollution test, you're fine. The BS-6 rule applies only to manufacturers who cannot manufacture BS-4 cars post the given date i.e. April 2020

Last edited by boniver : 28th April 2019 at 21:24.
boniver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th April 2019, 22:38   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Your vehicle is registered for 15 years, so you can safely run your car till 2027. However you have take the following points into consideration.

- Post April 2020, dealers will sell only BS6 cars. Getting BS6 fuel at all the gas stations will be difficult, because % of BS6 vehicles will be very less in the initial period. All over India there will be BS4 cars and will continue to run for 10 -15 years until 2035.

- As the time passes, there will be more BS6 cars, all old BS4 cars will cease to run after their 10 - 15 years registration period depends on Pan India or NCR. During that period getting BS4 fuel will be a task for the BS4 cars.

- Big task for gas stations to store 2 types BS4/ BS6 of fuel for 10 - 15 years.

- Resale of BS4 will get a big hit, how much will depend on how much registered life is left with the car.

Venkatesh.H
Venkatesh.H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 00:09   #234
BHPian

Quote:

- Big task for gas stations to store 2 types BS4/ BS6 of fuel for 10 - 15 years.

Venkatesh.H
Are you certain fuel stations will store two types of fuel (BSIV and BSVI)? I was under impression that these will only store BSVI fuel and BSIV cars will run fine on this as is the case currently in NCR.
gupta_chd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 00:20   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Big task for gas stations to store 2 types BS4/ BS6 of fuel for 10 - 15 years.
No! No! There won't/can't be two types of fuel. There'll be BS-VI only. Having BS-IV defeats the purpose entirely. Refineries can't supply two types of fuel for diesel & petrol.

Imagine having BS-IV Speed Petrol, Diesel, Unleaded - Petrol, Diesel and same with BS-VI. Impossible.

BS-IV cars run perfectly fine with BS-VI fuel, you won't even notice the difference between them.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 01:01   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
No! No! There won't/can't be two types of fuel. There'll be BS-VI only. Having BS-IV defeats the purpose entirely. Refineries can't supply two types of fuel for diesel & petrol.

Imagine having BS-IV Speed Petrol, Diesel, Unleaded - Petrol, Diesel and same with BS-VI. Impossible.

BS-IV cars run perfectly fine with BS-VI fuel, you won't even notice the difference between them.
Bharat stage -6: As Indian government has decided to produce BS-6 fuel which has low sulphur content. Currently we are using BS-4 fuel. Indian government has decided to reduce sulphur content 80% (upto 10ppm) in BS-6. While in BS-4 sulphur content is 50ppm.

BS6 fuel has lower level of sulphur content. Sulphur presence in fuel also does lubrication. In BS6 fuel, refineries need to add additives to compensate for lesser sulphur which leads to higher cost of BS6 fuel w.r.t BS4.

If price difference is too much then I anticipate 2 grades of fuel.

As government is allowing BS4 vehicles to run till their registered life. Hence they cannot enforce us to use only BS6 fuel.

I have not seen any government notification for cutoff date for BS4 fuel, hence my assumption.

If at all there is only BS6 fuel available post 2020, then most of the confusion will be cleared.

Venkatesh.H
Old 29th April 2019, 18:07   #237
BHPian

Quote:
In BS6 fuel, refineries need to add additives to compensate for lesser sulphur which leads to higher cost of BS6 fuel w.r.t BS4.

If price difference is too much then I anticipate 2 grades of fuel.
There is no price difference. I'm using BS-VI fuel since one year. Check the price difference of Delhi & Jaipur, you'll know there's no difference (although state taxes vary).

Quote:
As government is allowing BS4 vehicles to run till their registered life. Hence they cannot enforce us to use only BS6 fuel.
They can, and they did. BS-VI is already in Delhi since one year and from this year, it's available in NCR too. Cars manufactured and sold in Delhi NCR today are still with BS-IV engines.

They didn't ask anybody which type of fuel they prefer? or which fuel is beneficial for their engines?
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2019, 19:57   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
There is no price difference. I'm using BS-VI fuel since one year. Check the price difference of Delhi & Jaipur, you'll know there's no difference (although state taxes vary).
Thanks for the update, good to know there is no price difference for BS4 fuel w.r.t BS6 fuel.

Venkatesh.H
Venkatesh.H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 13:26   #239
BHPian

Quote:
It is true, many cars and SUVs are launched in India by Mahindra Alturas G4, Marrazo, Harrier and other cars with BS6 complaint engines. But vehicle registration will be done as BS4 only. I have checked with many car dealers, but they do not have any clue what are the procedures later to change our registration to BS6 from BS6 compliant engines.

It is better to wait for BS6 implementation and then go for buying our favorite vehicles.

Venkatesh.H
My Mercedes Benz C300d AMG Line is a BS-VI compliant car (with Ad Blue et al). My registration certificate states that the car is BS-IV as the RTA does not have an entry at all for BS-VI variants. I spoke to the Inspector-in-charge at the RTA and he was very much surprised that my vehicle is BS-VI compliant. I spoke to him about changing the RC after they have an option of selecting BS-VI(which I am assuming will be after 4/2020) but he said they aren't sure at this point.

My worry is that when I decide to swap my vehicle for a new one, which for a fact will be after 2020, this point about RC stating my car as BS-IV is going to come back to bite me.

As a matter of fact, even the S-Class which launched early-mid last year is a BS-VI compliant car but all of them have been registered as BS-IV.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 30th April 2019 at 14:02. Reason: typo
akunchala is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 14:22   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akunchala View Post
My Mercedes Benz C300d AMG Line is a BS-VI compliant car (with Ad Blue et al). My registration certificate states that the car is BS-IV as the RTA does not have an entry at all for BS-VI variants. I spoke to the Inspector-in-charge at the RTA and he was very much surprised that my vehicle is BS-VI compliant. I spoke to him about changing the RC after they have an option of selecting BS-VI(which I am assuming will be after 4/2020) but he said they aren't sure at this point.

My worry is that when I decide to swap my vehicle for a new one, which for a fact will be after 2020, this point about RC stating my car as BS-IV is going to come back to bite me.

As a matter of fact, even the S-Class which launched early-mid last year is a BS-VI compliant car but all of them have been registered as BS-IV.
I hope post 2020 RTO don't charge huge fees to convert BS6 compliant cars to BS6 registration.

Above is one of the reason holding me back to buy my SUV. By next year few more SUVs launching in the market, taking the competition to the next level in this segment. It is a buyers market, so we will get more choice.

Venkatesh.H

Last edited by Venkatesh.H : 30th April 2019 at 14:23.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks