Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2019, 17:10   #241
mxh
BHPian
 
mxh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 315
Thanked: 277 Times
Default re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akunchala View Post
My Mercedes Benz C300d AMG Line is a BS-VI compliant car (with Ad Blue et al). My registration certificate states that the car is BS-IV as the RTA does not have an entry at all for BS-VI variants.
When did you realize this? Shouldn't have taken delivery. Mercedes should be responsible for this as they advertise BS 6 compliance.
mxh is offline  
Old 30th April 2019, 18:17   #242
Senior - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurugram
Posts: 7,924
Thanked: 4,621 Times
Default re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
When did you realize this? Shouldn't have taken delivery. Mercedes should be responsible for this as they advertise BS 6 compliance.
BS-VI compliance does not mean BS-VI registration. Until BS-VI kicks in the car can only be registered as BS-IV. I had the same problem with my Civic, had to delay purchase by a month. I had a huge argument with the Honda guys who kept on saying the car was BS-IV. Finally they inquired and confirmed what I said. As it happened it saved me a few thousands, since the reversing sensors became standard. The price increase was more than offset by reversing sensors.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2019, 18:33   #243
BHPian
 
akunchala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 43
Thanked: 171 Times
Default re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
When did you realize this? Shouldn't have taken delivery. Mercedes should be responsible for this as they advertise BS 6 compliance.
Post-facto registration . On the day I saw my digital version of the RC, I immediately checked in with the Inspector. He referred me to look at the temporary registration document which also states BS-IV as BS-VI option isn't available on the RTA website (cross verified this information with my dealer on my next visit to the showroom). AFAIK, BS-VI option won't be available until it's very close to the actual deadline of 04/2020.
akunchala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2019, 15:15   #244
BHPian
 
ShivrajG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Pune/Bengaluru
Posts: 137
Thanked: 581 Times
Default re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020!

A Noob Observation! maybe I am wrong!
Everybody is saying Diesel cars will become expensive after BSVI and maybe diesel cost too will go up (I am not sure about the latter), then again everybody is also saying that we will see hell lots of deals in December due to companies trying to sell the stocks of BSIV cars. My question is if the car priced X is going to be X+Y on a certain date why would company sell it at X-A (A Being a huge discount). If I was a OEM I would advertise my X priced cars with little discount and show the public cost advantage to buy now than later. isnt it ? If i remember this was not the case in BSIII to BIV shift and the prices were not changed drastically? and hence the mad rush
ShivrajG is offline  
Old 2nd May 2019, 15:30   #245
Senior - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurugram
Posts: 7,924
Thanked: 4,621 Times
Default re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020!

@ShivrajG; A per Maruti the price penalty can be about 1.1-1.4l for a small car. A tough clean up regime for small particulates is on the cards.

When Diesel became big this was not even known.
sgiitk is offline  
Old 2nd May 2019, 17:55   #246
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,353
Thanked: 488 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivrajG View Post
My question is if the car priced X is going to be X+Y on a certain date why would company sell it at X-A (A Being a huge discount). If I was a OEM I would advertise my X priced cars with little discount and show the public cost advantage to buy now than later. isnt it ? If i remember this was not the case in BSIII to BIV shift and the prices were not changed drastically? and hence the mad rush
Nobody wants unregistrable vehicles in stock on 31 March, 2020. If you have noticed, vehicle sales, aka despatches to dealers have dropped in April. The intention would be to keep dealer stocks low.
Regarding the other question about why not give discounts now, rather than later, well, "business strategy" is all that I can say. I guess BS-VI vehicles would be ready by end of 2019 or at least, beginning of 2020. So, Hope to get both variants for a few months. I make it clear that this is my wishful thinking.
Please see previous pages for why BS-III and BS-IV cannot be compared with this situation.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 2nd May 2019 at 18:07.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 11:06   #247
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 265
Thanked: 272 Times
Default re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020!

I am curious, if diesel cars are gonna get much more expensive with BS VI and some manufacturers even moving away from diesels wouldn't this be an advantage for the diesel second hand market.
After all BS IV vehicles will run fine with BS VI fuel and these second hand vehicles would be much more affordable and so the value for money will remain. So does this mean those buying Diesel's before the BS VI models arrive will have some advantage in resale?
Am I missing something?
chittybang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 11:32   #248
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,421
Thanked: 4,901 Times
Default re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
I am curious, if diesel cars are gonna get much more expensive with BS VI and some manufacturers even moving away from diesels wouldn't this be an advantage for the diesel second hand market.
After all BS IV vehicles will run fine with BS VI fuel and these second hand vehicles would be much more affordable and so the value for money will remain. So does this mean those buying Diesel's before the BS VI models arrive will have some advantage in resale?
Am I missing something?
I know of some people who're holding on to their BS IV Diesel vehicles for this reason.

But then again, a lot of people, myself included, fear the heavy hammer of the NGT/Supreme Court/Government for when (and not if) they will de-register old diesel vehicles across all major cities. Logically speaking, BS VI diesel vehicles shouldn't be included in such a mass ban on diesel vehicles since a BS VI diesel car will only emit as much as its petrol counterpart.

Personally, I witnessed the purchase journey of a colleague recently wherein he rejected new and used diesel cars owing to this nagging doubt about the future of diesel vehicles in our polluted cities.
locusjag is online now  
Old 13th May 2019, 13:51   #249
Senior - BHPian
 
vsrivatsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,461
Thanked: 2,995 Times
Default re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
So does this mean those buying Diesel's before the BS VI models arrive will have some advantage in resale?
Am I missing something?
Currently both sides of the equation are speculations given the nature of our Government and Policy makers. It is very much possible that the resale value of existing diesels may go up. This is why Maruti came out with recent announcements stating that this is the best time to buy Diesels. But the problem is - its a guess and the other way round also may happen with demand for diesels going away...

As for the theory of Petrol vs Diesel my understanding of the equation is, Diesel is more environment friendly (less CO2) and less human friendly(more NOX & PM) while the Petrol is less environment friendly (more CO2) and more human friendly (less NOX & PM).

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 13th May 2019 at 13:57.
vsrivatsa is online now  
Old 13th May 2019, 15:36   #250
BHPian
 
DASKD24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: BENGALURU
Posts: 84
Thanked: 130 Times
Default re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020!

Noob question (might have already been discussed in the thread)

Whats the difference between "BSVI Ready" and just BSVI.

The later I understand is the 100% BSVI adherence. Whats the "Ready" thing ?

~KD
DASKD24 is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 16:10   #251
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: MANGALORE, KARN
Posts: 56
Thanked: 113 Times
Default re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASKD24 View Post
Whats the difference between "BSVI Ready" and just BSVI.~KD
BS6 ready means car manufacturers have tested their new engine for BS6 norms specified by the Indian government as mentioned in my earlier post.

Indian government will implement BS6 registration by 1st April 2020 onwards. After cutoff date, selling of all new vehicles have to be BS6 ready to be registered as BS6.

Even if car is fully compliance to BS6 but it will be registered as BS4 only before April 2020.

Venkatesh.H
Venkatesh.H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 18:25   #252
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 265
Thanked: 272 Times
Default re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020!

If I am in the market to replace my XUV with a proper five seater SUV that seems safe to consider during this uncertain period until the BS VI rolls in , which cars would fit that criteria? Are there any vehicles already BS VI ready in the mass market section?
I am in the 6th year and my XUV has been majorly problem free. I usually change cars after 5 years and so I am a little unsure about holding on to it until the BS VI cars arrive.
What is the sensible thing to do? Wait for it and shell out a larger sum to get BS VI car or just get one right away and save some cash. My thought is that if I need a 5 seater SUV , it mostly will have to be a diesel or else the fuel economy will be pretty low and if diesels will get expensive after BS VI then may be its better to jump in now and grab one.
I am confused. Can someone clear this for me?
chittybang is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 21:29   #253
Senior - BHPian
 
longhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,434
Thanked: 1,070 Times
Default re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020!

Maruti is creating all that hungama because their diesel engine would not be ready before the April 2020 deadline. Ford and Honda are on track to launch their BS 6 diesels before the deadline. I believe it would be better to hold on and buy BS 6 diesels even if they are costlier beacuse they would do much less harm to public health. Also the resale value of BS 6 diesels should be higher than that of BS 4 models.
longhorn is offline  
Old 14th May 2019, 05:51   #254
BHPian
 
DASKD24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: BENGALURU
Posts: 84
Thanked: 130 Times
Default re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I believe it would be better to hold on and buy BS 6 diesels even if they are costlier beacuse they would do much less harm to public health. Also the resale value of BS 6 diesels should be higher than that of BS 4 models.
Very true. Holding on to the final decision to buy only after April 2020. It'd be super interesting to see the entire landscape by then and also we'd have a clear idea on where each make/model stands in terms of offerings in tune with BSVI.
DASKD24 is offline  
Old 14th May 2019, 10:23   #255
BHPian
 
Repsol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: KA51/KL66
Posts: 319
Thanked: 131 Times
Default re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
If I am in the market to replace my XUV with a proper five seater SUV that seems safe to consider during this uncertain period until the BS VI rolls in , which cars would fit that criteria? Are there any vehicles already BS VI ready in the mass market section?
I am in the 6th year and my XUV has been majorly problem free. I usually change cars after 5 years and so I am a little unsure about holding on to it until the BS VI cars arrive.
What is the sensible thing to do? Wait for it and shell out a larger sum to get BS VI car or just get one right away and save some cash. My thought is that if I need a 5 seater SUV , it mostly will have to be a diesel or else the fuel economy will be pretty low and if diesels will get expensive after BS VI then may be its better to jump in now and grab one.
I am confused. Can someone clear this for me?
If you are looking for a 5-seater diesel which is BS-VI ready, then I think you can consider Jeep Compass and Tata Harrier. Both are BS-VI ready I think.
Repsol is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks