Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2020, 08:58   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
That is a visualisation of the areas effected by Australian bushfires in which 50 crore animals have died & 50 Lakh hectares of land has been affected.

Think it doesn't affect/concern us ?

This post isn't about whether we should or shouldn't move to BS-6, but it's definitely a travesty that the world isn't laying a penalty on countries that don't manage their carbon emissions prudently.
I hear you. It is a valid concern that you've raised.

However, we should differentiate between emissions that contribute to global warming versus particulate matter emissions.

BS6 (and not BS5, which was skipped) was shoved down our throats chiefly due to our NCR region's PM 2.5-choked air. India's problem is that particulate matter has rendered our air unbreathable, whereas developed countries emit the highest levels of greenhouse gases.

Global warming, which is precipitated by greenhouse gases, is aided by humongous amounts of per-capita emissions by developed countries. It could be due to the fact that most developed nations fall in the globe's cold regions and because of which they need to spend energy on heating living/working spaces. Their people also have exotic habits such as preferring mineral water from Evian in France or Fiji, or caviar from a corner of the globe...(think about the shipping emissions involved). The US' racial divisions also have contributed to massive vehicular emissions - when Black people emigrated out of their former cotton fields in the South, they populated urban centers across the US. This set into motion a White flight into far flung suburbs, from where they drive to work alone in huge gas burning cars. Let me also remind ourselves that petrol cars emit frightful volumes of greenhouse gases at this point; diesel cars do a far better job at this even though they do emit PM 2.5 and PM 10 matter.

Australia also stands out as a champion emitter maybe because of their vast open spaces through which even the most basic commodities have to be transported by sea and road (thus, having a frighteningly high Carbon footprint). Canada has a similar problem as Australia does, since almost nothing gets made locally over there.

Lastly, let me also share what I discovered recently - it turns out that it is marine algae which convert CO2 into O2 for the globe in an appreciable manner whereas our trees and vegetation don't do as much. Scientists reminded us during the Amazon fires that fallen leaves and other vegetable waste surrounding trees emit way more CO2 when they get decomposed by microbes than the O2 the trees emit. The Amazon wasn't ever really "the lungs of the earth"!!

Edit: You should also check out the carbon footprint of the meat industries of the developed nations. That alone is mind-numbingly high.

Last edited by locusjag : 15th January 2020 at 09:26. Reason: Late addition
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 10:36   #437
BHPian

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDCi'd View Post

If DPF needs to regenerate every 450-500 km and OEM suggesting a highway drive every now and then to do so, is that a major concern for urban users?

Our running is around 1200 km / month and 80% city driving. We hit highway maybe once in 3500km only. Should I stay away from DPF Diesel cars?

Old 15th January 2020, 11:35   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPJ74 View Post
If DPF needs to regenerate every 450-500 km and OEM suggesting a highway drive every now and then to do so, is that a major concern for urban users?

Our running is around 1200 km / month and 80% city driving. We hit highway maybe once in 3500km only. Should I stay away from DPF Diesel cars?

I would suggest you to have a look at posts by BHPians Ajmat and Hayek in the below thread about DPF's. In a nutshell owning BS6 diesels will have higher running costs owing to possibility of DPFs getting clogged and periodic filling of Adblue for SCR.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...e-india-2.html (Scoop! 2020 Skoda Superb spied for the first time in India)
TDCi'd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 11:55   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I hear you. It is a valid concern that you've raised.

However, we should differentiate between emissions that contribute to global warming versus particulate matter emissions.

BS6 (and not BS5, which was skipped) was shoved down our throats chiefly due to our NCR region's PM 2.5-choked air. India's problem is that particulate matter has rendered our air unbreathable, whereas developed countries emit the highest levels of greenhouse gases.

Global warming, which is precipitated by greenhouse gases, is aided by humongous amounts of per-capita emissions by developed countries. It could be due to the fact that most developed nations fall in the globe's cold regions and because of which they need to spend energy on heating living/working spaces. Their people also have exotic habits such as preferring mineral water from Evian in France or Fiji, or caviar from a corner of the globe...(think about the shipping emissions involved). The US' racial divisions also have contributed to massive vehicular emissions - when Black people emigrated out of their former cotton fields in the South, they populated urban centers across the US. This set into motion a White flight into far flung suburbs, from where they drive to work alone in huge gas burning cars. Let me also remind ourselves that petrol cars emit frightful volumes of greenhouse gases at this point; diesel cars do a far better job at this even though they do emit PM 2.5 and PM 10 matter.

Australia also stands out as a champion emitter maybe because of their vast open spaces through which even the most basic commodities have to be transported by sea and road (thus, having a frighteningly high Carbon footprint). Canada has a similar problem as Australia does, since almost nothing gets made locally over there.

Lastly, let me also share what I discovered recently - it turns out that it is marine algae which convert CO2 into O2 for the globe in an appreciable manner whereas our trees and vegetation don't do as much. Scientists reminded us during the Amazon fires that fallen leaves and other vegetable waste surrounding trees emit way more CO2 when they get decomposed by microbes than the O2 the trees emit. The Amazon wasn't ever really "the lungs of the earth"!!

Edit: You should also check out the carbon footprint of the meat industries of the developed nations. That alone is mind-numbingly high.
Some very interesting facts you have mentioned. I have a few questions:

1. So you are saying petrol engines produce a lot of harmful greenhouse gases. How significant is a petrol engine's contribution to the particulate matters (PM) then?

2. So with implementation of BS 6, we will contribute (positively) to the global warming crisis. Right?

3. Considering the population of India, don't you think the overall contribution (if not per capita) to harmful greenhouse gases is quite significant?

4. Since diesel cars emit more PM and less harmful GH gases, so BS 6 will be more effective for petrol cars?

5. Can you please share the source of facts you mentioned about marine algae and Amazon? Would love to read more.

Appreciate if you can respond.

Last edited by Pancham : 15th January 2020 at 11:59.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 12:13   #440
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Some very interesting facts you have mentioned. I have a few questions:

1. So you are saying petrol engines produce a lot of harmful greenhouse gases. How significant is a petrol engine's contribution to the particulate matters (PM) then?
I've read that as many as 40 BS 4 or BS 3 petrol cars would currently emit as much PM 2.5 as would a single diesel car today.

Quote:
2. So with implementation of BS 6, we will contribute (positively) to the global warming crisis. Right?
Since BS6 is on par with Euro6 norms and since petrol cars of the Euro 6 norm haven't cut greenhouse gas emissions, I understand that we wouldn't be doing any better come BS 6, for curbing global warming.

Quote:
3. Considering the population of India, don't you think the overall contribution (if not per capita) to harmful greenhouse gases is quite significant?
The data says that India is still an overall minor contributor to greenhouse gas emissions.

Quote:
4. Since diesel cars emit more PM and less harmful GH gases, so BS 6 will be more effective for petrol cars?
As far as I can tell, BS6 only reduces PM 2.5 emissions by diesel cars. For petrol cars, there isn't a significant emission control regime in BS 6.

Quote:
5. Can you please share the source of facts you mentioned about marine algae and Amazon? Would love to read more.
While I read this originally on Quora where a leading scientist (with a verified blue tick on his profile) shared his knowledge, here's another credible URL for you-
https://relay.nationalgeographic.com...-worlds-oxygen
Old 15th January 2020, 12:40   #441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
While I read this originally on Quora where a leading scientist (with a verified blue tick on his profile) shared his knowledge, here's another credible URL for you-
https://relay.nationalgeographic.com...-worlds-oxygen
I think from an environmental perspective, rather than seeing trees as oxygen producing entities, we should be looking at them as CO2 absorbents. Agreed microbes could be using up a lot of Oxygen but so are humans, but we do need trees (lots of them) for absorbing the CO2 and reducing the overall effects of harmful emission.

Last edited by Pancham : 15th January 2020 at 12:41.
Old 15th January 2020, 12:46   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I think from an environmental perspective, rather than seeing trees as oxygen producing entities, we should be looking at them as CO2 absorbents. Agreed microbes could be using up a lot of Oxygen but so are humans, but we do need trees (lots of them) for absorbing the CO2 that is being emitted by us.
From a biodiversity perspective, absolutely - trees are essential. Fauna cannot live without flora.

From the perspective of absorbing CO2, please do read that Nat Geo article again. It's not just that decomposition of vegetable matter uses lots of O2, the article also says that trees actually use half the O2 which they give out when they're not photosynthesizing. Purely from this perspective, phytoplankton win hands down as a CO2 absorbent for the globe.

In any case, this point is academic at ground zero. None of us should even begin to think that trees are useless.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2020, 13:42   #443
BHPian

Is there a post on team-bhp that tracks which BS-VI ready/compliant car models are already/currently available? Sorry for the ignorance, I really am proving to be very poor at searching these days!

Last edited by Punatic : 15th January 2020 at 13:51.
Old 18th January 2020, 19:31   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Was in traffic waiting for this BMTC Volvo to pass, and I see this:

BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023-adblue-tank-bmtc.jpg

Bus didnt look very old, may be from 2019. Wonder how the corps like BMTC have implemented the setup.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 18:47   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
By this hour we are aware that many popular or rather decent cars (mostly diesels) will be out of the production line in the BS-VI era.

Let us try to compile a list of those and discuss would you buy any of them!

6. Mahindra-Ford
- Ford petrol & diesel mills will not be upgraded so the 1.5 TDCI will be history.
- Ford dragon petrol mills should have been BS-VI ready as they were recently developed but I'm not sure why they are not!
- Mahindra 1.2 petrol in the XUV300 is BS-VI ready and may power future Ford vehicles. This would be interesting!
I may be wrong so please update the information. Also, which vehicle would you buy now before it's gone.

happy driving,
surjaonwheelz
Ford has proved me wrong by launching both petrol & diesel BS6 EcoSport. Refer this news

There's isn't much price difference between the diesel BS4 & BS6 models as anticipated or predicted by other manufacturers. No idea how Ford pulled this off!

Good for car enthusiasts that the favorite 1.5 diesel mill will be available in BS6 form.

Keep revvin'
-surjaonwheelz
Old 29th January 2020, 15:25   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota comes up with a 100 per cent BSVI manufacturing facility in Bidadi.

Quote:
bookings for the BSVI vehicles have already started and deliveries of BSVI diesel vehicles to the customers will be done in a phased manner, based on the diesel BSVI fuel availability.
Quote:
Toyota is expected to showcase three new vehicles, the Vellfire, Toyota Corolla 2020 and the new CH-R which might launch later in the year or in 2021. The CH-R will be a coupe-style SUV and will rival with the MG SUV, which is yet to be launched and the Jeep Compass

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th January 2020 at 15:26.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2020, 09:52   #447
Team-BHP Support

Fuel prices will be raised on 1-Apr 2020 to help refiners recover cost for BS6 upgrades.

Quote:
State-run fuel retailers will raise fuel prices by 50 paise to Re 1 per litre in one go from April to recover investment made for producing Bharat Stage-VI
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/73786151.cms
Old 31st January 2020, 15:00   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonder what the cabbies will do without the Etios and the Dzire diesel. I think the Hyundai Aura is the only BS6 small scale diesel available yet, apart from the Ecosport which was not a favourite of the cab market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Was in traffic waiting for this BMTC Volvo to pass, and I see this:
Bus didnt look very old, may be from 2019. Wonder how the corps like BMTC have implemented the setup.

Volvo and many other CV engines from BS4 require SCR for meeting emission norms. Hence the Volvos, Bharatbenz vehicles have been equipped with Ad blue tanks for SCR from sometime now.

Last edited by audioholic : 31st January 2020 at 15:14.
Old 8th February 2020, 18:14   #449
BANNED

IOCL Mathura refinery starts 100% BS-VI fuels production, 1st in the country to supply BS-VI fuel

Quote:
Mathura: Indian Oil Corporation's Mathura refinery completed the revamp of its all units to produce BS-VI grade fuels ahead of the deadline for roll out of newer emission norms from April 2020, a company official said.

With the commissioning of these facilities, Mathura Refinery is now supplying 100 per cent of its MS (Petrol) and HSD (diesel), meeting BS-VI norms, he added.

IOCL Mathura Refinery has achieved the distinction of becoming first refinery in the country to supply BS-VI compliant fuels, containing less than 10 ppm sulphur with existing units, well ahead of deadline set by the government, he mentioned.

"At a time when all Indian Refineries were producing BS-IV compliant fuels, IOCL Mathura Refinery had gone ahead and was producing BS-VI compliant fuel since January 2018 with its existing units," he told reporters on Friday. It started supply of BS-VI compliant fuels to NCT and NCR from January 18, he disclosed.
Source : ET Auto
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 05:03   #450
Senior - BHPian

Re: IOCL Mathura refinery starts 100% BS-VI fuels production, 1st in the country to supply BS-VI fue

On a related note, do we have a list of BS6 ready cities in India? For example, do we get BS6 fuel in Pune?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed