Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2018, 14:09   #106
BHPian

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Well if Maruti says it's on track to meet BS VI norms, what are the other OEMs complaining about?

The group that has more than 50% market share is not complaining!

In my opinion the others should cease to procrastinate/question the status quo and in the motto of Nike - just do it!
Old 26th July 2018, 09:10   #107
BHPian

Is it suggested to wait till 2020 to get a new vehicle with BS6 norms, than going for a new one now with BS4 norms, if not in a hurry. Thanks.
Old 26th July 2018, 15:12   #108
BHPian

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

BS-VI or Bharat Stage 6 seems to be more complicated than it looks. We are going to have Vehicles being BS-VI complied and fuel that would be BS-VI complied. I am no expert but just curious to know how is the transition going to take place. I assume that BS-VI engines are engines that emit less CO2 and other harmful gases/ pollutants and BS-VI fuel is the fuel that has less sulphur/Carbon content. So there are 4 permutations in this case:-

1. BS-VI complied Vehicles with BS-VI complied Fuel:-
A match made in heaven . This seems to be pretty straight forward. Manufacturers need to develop and bring these engines to their existing line-up and make sure there is smooth transition. They’ve been given enough time to plan and execute this. No issues so far.

2. BS-VI complied Vehicles with BS-IV Fuel:-
Will the engines that are designed for refined fuel work with less refined fuel? To avoid this scenario, we need BS-VI fuel launched throughout the country or the engines are developed such that they can take both BS-IV and VI fuels and run smoothly.

3. BS-I,II,III & IV complied Vehicles with BS-VI Fuel :-
There have been speculations if the existing vehicles are going to work with fuel with less Sulphur (I read somewhere that it has lubricating properties). The question is that will these vehicles be compatible with the new fuel on their own or they will have to undergo some changes (addition of catalyst or something). If they don’t need any changes to work on BS-VI fuel, then the transition would be smooth. Otherwise I don’t see a solution for large scale changes being made to vehicles.

4. BS-I,II,III & IV complied with BS-IV Fuel:-
The existing scenario and they seem to work fine as BS-IV fuel is available throughout India.
rish_arora is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th July 2018, 10:43   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

In Delhi, vehicles to be colour-coded to indicate diesel, electric, hydrogen, hybrid or BS-VI fuel.

Quote:
Soon it will be easy for enforcement agencies to identify whether a vehicle is running on diesel or petrol as the government will assign colour codes for each category of vehicle. There is also a plan to put the year of registration on the front windshield, which will help authorities to spot vehicles that are not allowed to ply on roads in Delhi.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 05:55   #110
BHPian

Instead of putting a sticker on the windshield (which can cause problems to users in case the windshield needs to be replaced), they could have used some sort of Automatic Number Plate Recognition System ('ANPR') for emissions compliance status check at a glance.

Granted that we have a lot of fancy number plate styles in our country, but then plates which the ANPR system could not read might be considered grounds for challan anyway.

My approach would be to put technology ("Artificial Intelligence") to use, rather than burdening citizens.

And yes, the key reason why this discussion is even happening is because the Legislature and the Executive branches are not doing their job of updating rules and regulations at a pace required for a fast changing country that is India. As a result, these issues end up in court and the courts are not equipped to deliver rules as nuanced and as well thought through as the other two branches of Government can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Is it suggested to wait till 2020 to get a new vehicle with BS6 norms
My worry is that the BS6 diesel cars may need to be equiped with DPFs, which has its own set of (potentially severe) problems. That way, the recommendation could even be the exact oppsite: buy your next car before 2020!

Last edited by ampere : 30th July 2018 at 07:13. Reason: Back to back posts merged
vipul_singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 06:48   #111
BHPian

Quote:
There is also a plan to put the year of registration on the front windshield, which will help authorities to spot vehicles that are not allowed to ply on roads in Delhi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_singh View Post
Instead of putting a sticker on the windshield (which can cause problems to users in case the windshield needs to be replaced), they could have used some sort of Automatic Number Plate Recognition System ('ANPR') for emissions compliance status check at a glance.
Rather than putting the sticker on the windshield they can integrate it into the number plate. Some countries already have this. The year of registration of the vehicle will be displayed on the number plate. Sticking this on to the windshield will be a sore to the eyes.

BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023-img_20180730_064105.jpg
Old 30th July 2018, 11:29   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
Rather than putting the sticker on the windshield they can integrate it into the number plate. Some countries already have this. The year of registration of the vehicle will be displayed on the number plate. Sticking this on to the windshield will be a sore to the eyes.

Attachment 1785008
I agree, it needs to be an integral part of the number plate and more importantly, the number plates need to be coming in from RTO. There should NOT be any third party number plate manufacturers at all.
Old 24th September 2018, 12:59   #113
BHPian

I am a potential car buyer, and thinking of buying a diesel vehicle (Swift, Amaze) within next 6 months. I need your advice on how current gen of diesel vehicles handle the BSIV to BSVI jump. Should i wait till lets say a year when manufacturers move to BSVI assuming they will not wait till 2020 to see last moment sales, like April Last year ? I am thinking of keeping this new car for at least 7-8 years.
Old 24th September 2018, 15:20   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivrajG View Post
I am a potential car buyer, and thinking of buying a diesel vehicle (Swift, Amaze) within next 6 months. I need your advice on how current gen of diesel vehicles handle the BSIV to BSVI jump. Should i wait till lets say a year when manufacturers move to BSVI assuming they will not wait till 2020 to see last moment sales, like April Last year ? I am thinking of keeping this new car for at least 7-8 years.
If you are asking whether a BS IV car can handle BS VI fuel, the answer is yes. If you are asking whether a BS IV car can be upgraded to BS VI, the answer is no. A substantial price hike is expect for BS 6 diesels. If you are looking at the diesel variants only, you might as well go ahead and buy now.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2018, 12:22   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

No Bharat Stage IV vehicle shall be sold across the country from April 1, 2020: SC

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 08:42   #116
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Another media report on the SC ruling regarding BS VI vehicles only from April 2020:

Quote:
Apex court says there cannot be any compromise on health of citizens and this has to take precedence over greed of a few automobile manufacturers who want to stretch limit
Source:The New Indian Express, Bangalore 25 Oct 2018 - Link
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2018, 09:02   #117
BHPian

So, from when can we see BS VI vehicles plying on the roads. Not the premium brands like Mercedes Benz, etc., but from mass moving cars. At least 6 months before or only from Apr 2020.
Old 25th October 2018, 09:40   #118
BHPian

With so many scenarios being played out, I am expecting the automakers to make some money in the name of BS-VI for some period of time

Assuming I put of my decision to upgrade to a new car until 2020, would my existing BS-IV complaint vehicle's value depreciate significantly.
Old 25th October 2018, 10:47   #119
BANNED

I Do not take the GoI at face value. When we introduced unleaded it was proclaimed that no modifications were required. The rest of the world wanted valves with hardened seats. So obviously our claims were false.

How can I trust the Sarkari announcement. Any proof /evidence otherwise.
Old 25th October 2018, 12:35   #120
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
How can I trust the Sarkari announcement. Any proof /evidence otherwise.
They were very strict with commercial vehicles & two-wheelers. I have a feeling they mean business.

The car makers have been given ample time to prepare. There is simply no excuse for them missing the deadline.

to cleaner air.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed