Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2016, 12:28   #46
BHPian

Emission limits for BS-VI same as Euro-VI limits , except for the fact that cycle max speed is 90 kmph unlike europe's 120 kmph max speed. To what I know gasoline engine should not be too tough to jump to BS6 from the current BS4 , where as Diesel engine has some challenges ! Anyways for both engines more than the bench tests , it's the real world emission tests from 2023 will throw up lots of tantrums !
vishnana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:38   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Mercedes, Toyota to roll out BS VI compliant vehicles well ahead of the 2020 deadline

Quote:
Mercedes Benz may introduce BS VI vehicles by next year. Toyota Kirloskar's Camry hybrid sedan already meets the standard in large part and the company is considering the introduction of another such model, possibly the Corolla, this year.
Quote:
The company is likely to introduce a new hybrid Corolla this year that should meet BS VI norms. Toyota's luxury brand Lexus will also offer a hybrid solution that's BS VI compliant in 2017
Quote:
BSVI requires petrol vehicles to cut emission of nitrogen oxides by 20% from BS IV levels. Diesel vehicles should emit 75% less nitrogen oxides and 80% less particulate matter
Quote:
While Mercedes Benz will rely on conventional powertrains with additional equipment, Toyota is going the hybrid route. In the next decade or so, hybrid and electric vehicles are likely to emerge as reasonable alternatives to diesel and petrol vehicles in the country
ET

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd March 2017 at 10:40.
Old 21st March 2017, 21:38   #48
BHPian

Fuel standards for BS6 - diluted or same as EU6?

Auto companies vs OMCs - fuel standards for BS6

I know that the above article is a year old. It is regarding the spat between the two lobbying groups (who in my opinion successfully delayed BS5 introduction and BS4 nationwide by 2015), now pointing fingers at each other regarding initial fuel standards proposed for EU6. The oil companies had opined that SIAM being stringent about need for RON95 is just to delay the introduction of BS6 ready fuel. Oil companies were also citing economic reasons against upgrading facilities for RON95 fuel, while pointing to fact that low sulphur fuel is being guaranteed.

Is there any update post the above article? Have the BS6 fuel norms been finalized and are they inline with current EU6 norms?
Old 28th April 2017, 10:17   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Maruti Suzuki is ready to meet the 2020 deadline for BS VI!

Quote:
We will be ready to sell BS6 cars on April 1, 2020 as long as fuel is ready all over the country
Link
Old 28th April 2017, 10:43   #50
BANNED

Re: Fuel standards for BS6 - diluted or same as EU6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Mercedes, Toyota to roll out BS VI compliant vehicles well ahead of the 2020 deadline
The vehicles may be compliant but as of now can be sold only after BS6 is introduced. I faced the same issue with Honda when I bought my BS4 Civic in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Auto companies vs OMCs - fuel standards for BS6

I know that the above article is a year old. It is regarding the spat between the two lobbying groups (who in my opinion successfully delayed BS5 introduction and BS4 nationwide by 2015), now pointing fingers at each other regarding initial fuel standards proposed for EU6. The oil companies had opined that SIAM being stringent about need for RON95 is just to delay the introduction of BS6 ready fuel. Oil companies were also citing economic reasons against upgrading facilities for RON95 fuel, while pointing to fact that low sulphur fuel is being guaranteed.

Is there any update post the above article? Have the BS6 fuel norms been finalized and are they inline with current EU6 norms?
I think the IITK report has made it very clear, even if all fuel has to be imported then so be it. In any case RIL had BS6 fuels.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 15:23   #51
BHPian

Re: Fuel standards for BS6 - diluted or same as EU6?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The vehicles may be compliant but as of now can be sold only after BS6 is introduced. I faced the same issue with Honda when I bought my BS4 Civic in 2010.
Personally have cars which run EU5 maps (though certified BS4) and have been waiting for RON95 standards / better availability of premium octane (RON 97+) since a long time.

Quote:
I think the IITK report has made it very clear, even if all fuel has to be imported then so be it. In any case RIL had BS6 fuels.
Thank you for the confirmation. Has the BS6 fuel norms been finalised and released as a circular? Could you please direct me to those? I could only find information on draft notifications and then later the suggestion of diluting octane rating (with spat on both side: SIAM and Oil Companies).
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2017, 18:38   #52
BANNED

@avinash_clt; You take it that BS-Vi will be same as Euro-VI. I do not think the govt or the courts are in a mood to offer any relaxation.
Old 4th May 2017, 14:23   #53
Senior - BHPian

Almost all refineries in India has come out with plans to convert to BS6.
Construction tenders for most will be out in 2017-18 time frame.
That means we will mostly be ready with BS6 fuels by Apr 2020 (give or take half year).

In any case even today some refineries are not 100% BS4 capable, so what do they do? They export their substandard fuel to B'desh / Africa etc, and import superior fuels from abroad.

I didn't quite get the RON 95 drift. How did RON improvement (presently 91) land up in tightening the emission norms? Even the Euro standards have stuck to 91 RON

Edit: None of the tenders have Alkylation units. So be rest assured that Oil refining / marketing companies definitely will not allow RON 95 stipulation.

Last edited by alpha1 : 4th May 2017 at 14:29.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2017, 18:06   #54
BANNED

@alpha1; It is known that most of the PSU refineries will need to be extensively modified (an euphemism for redone from scratch, imho) to cater to BS-VI. What I learnt from the author of the IITK report was, so be it.
Old 4th May 2017, 23:02   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I didn't quite get the RON 95 drift. How did RON improvement (presently 91) land up in tightening the emission norms? Even the Euro standards have stuck to 91 RON
Agree that higher RON rating is not required for curtailing CO/NOx/HC/PM levels as required by EU6/BS6. But since EU4 itself, the recommended minimum octane rating for petrol is RON 95, with a provision via which the member nations could decide to provide lesser octane rating, but no less than RON 91.

I believe the last update regarding fuel quality requirements w.r.t EU emission norms was the Directive 2009/30/EC in 2009 (pdf is attached). As per the same, minimum requirement continues to be RON 95 (with the same exception allowed in RON as before), but of course permissible sulphur levels in fuel dropped w.r.t EU4.

Practically, regular grade petrol in most of Europe is RON 95 (and not RON 91) with premium fuel being anything from RON 95+additives to RON 102. Also, virtually every modern direct-injection/turbo petrol launched is recommended with a min RON 95 requirement for quoted efficiency and performance. Where I live, the RON 98 petrol is around 6% more expensive than RON 95 petrol.

So along with performance, if I am not mistaken, there is the potential of increased FE also (especially in downsized direct injection petrol motor with forced induction) when petrol with higher octane rating is provided.

Personally, when run on RON 95+ fuel (only Speed 97 for us), our 1.8TSI did give better efficiency. Never got to try it with the 3.6 FSI though, but I am sure the case would be similar or better. I would prefer better FE and performance via better fuel than by skimping on crash structures
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fuel quality requirements EU - Directive 2009_30_EC.pdf (1.09 MB, 537 views)
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 23:37   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

http://m.timesofindia.com/city/delhi...w/58523179.cms

Much seems to be happening in a major standoff this week behind the scenes, between the government, oil companies, automobile manufacturers and the EPCA.

A lawyer involved in the middle of all this writes:
Quote:
My take on this is that the refineries owned by Central Government are unable to assure the quality of fuel supplied by them right from its storage tanks through tankers. Fuel adulteration is rampant and abetted. Manjunath murder case had hit headlines. The Ministry admits that it does not have any lab to test adulteration. Therefore, whether it is Euro ll, Euro-lll or Euro lV or Euro Vl, would not make any difference. The moment kerosene is added the SOX contents would hit the roof and the vehicles whether one month old or ten years old would equally pollute. It is very easy to Ban the vehicles, but who would implement the law? Toyota runs 3 lac miles in US and in India it starts coughing after 1.50 lac KM not even half of US mileage. Why? The need is to provide pure fuel and decongest the roads through proper planning and by removing bottlenecks created by Planners and Engineers including encroachments and frequent changes of land use.
Source
SS-Traveller is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 16:06   #57
BHPian

Hi,
Considering we are less than 3 years away from the BS6 deadline, does it make sense to buy one of the newer cars (NEXON, WRV etc) now or wait until April 2020 and buy a BS6 compliant vehicle? Also not sure what happens to the existing BS4 cars post 04/2020, can they be monetised in the "pre-worshiped" market?

I remember there being lot of discussions during the BS3 to BS4 switch with respect to using BS4 fuel in BS3 cars or BS3 fuel used in BS4 cars. What are the implications of using BS6 fuel in BS4 cars (if any)? thanks
enzo10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 16:28   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo10 View Post
Hi,
Considering we are less than 3 years away from the BS6 deadline, does it make sense to buy one of the newer cars (NEXON, WRV etc) now or wait until April 2020 and buy a BS6 compliant vehicle? Also not sure what happens to the existing BS4 cars post 04/2020, can they be monetised in the "pre-worshiped" market?

I remember there being lot of discussions during the BS3 to BS4 switch with respect to using BS4 fuel in BS3 cars or BS3 fuel used in BS4 cars. What are the implications of using BS6 fuel in BS4 cars (if any)? thanks
BS6 norms will change a lot of things.
The Car prices (especially for Diesels), could go up.

Secondly, Several existing Engines ( 1.3MJD/DDis, VW 1.5TDI) will be discontinued.
These may be replaced by newer diesels altogether (like in case of the DDis).

So, in my opinion, it is best to wait and watch, if it is possible on part of the buyer.

The Bharat New car safety norms will also be effective from next year.
So, it will really be worthwhile to wait!
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2017, 17:41   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo10 View Post
Hi,

Only sulfur level reduce when going from BS4 fuel to BS6.
Not much difference in engine performance or any significant deterioration.
Have we seen BS3 engines fall off simply because of the BS4 fuel being fed ot it today?
Old 15th November 2017, 17:12   #60
BHPian

Re: BS-VI emission norms coming in April 2018!

Centre Advances Implementation of BS-VI Norms For Car Fuel to April 2018 Instead of 2020 in NCR

Quote:
New Delhi: In light of the deteriorating air quality in New Delhi, ministry of petroleum and natural gas on Wednesday decided to advance the implementation of Bharat Standard (BS)-VI compliant fuel in the national capital territory to 1 April, 2018.

“Taking into account the serious pollution levels in Delhi and adjoining areas, Petroleum Ministry in consultation with Public Oil Marketing Companies has decided for advancing of BS-VI grade auto fuels in NCT of Delhi w.e.f 01.04.2018 instead of 01.04.2020. OMCs have also been asked to examine the possibility of introduction of BS-VI auto fuels in the whole of NCR area w.e.f 01.04.2019,” said the ministry in a statement on 15 November.

Earlier, BS-VI compliant fuel was supposed to be rolled out from 1 April, 2020.

This comes in the backdrop of the automobile sector’s continuous lobbying against skipping the BS V emission norm stage, even as the western economies have already shifted to Euro VI, which is the equivalent to BS VI.

These standards keep a check on the emission levels by setting permissible limits for vehicles. Though earlier the plan was to move to BS VI by 2024, the government changed the deadline to April 2020.

According to the existing norms, BS IV stipulates 50 parts per million (ppm) of sulphur for petrol and diesel respectively. The stringent BS VI proposes to have 10 ppm of sulphur for both petrol and diesel.
http://www.news18.com/news/india/del...8-1577897.html
SandyX is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks