Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2018, 23:27   #121
BHPian

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Ok, I am buying a diesel Freestyle on Jan-18. Should I go ahead or wait till the BS6 norms are implemented. What would be the impact on my car if I go ahead and buy it as I am in urgent need of a car.
snaseer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 10:41   #122
BHPian

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaseer View Post
Ok, I am buying a diesel Freestyle on Jan-18. Should I go ahead or wait till the BS6 norms are implemented. What would be the impact on my car if I go ahead and buy it as I am in urgent need of a car.
I believe you mean Jan-2019?

Taking that you live in Mangalore I do not feel that there will be a significant impact on your purchase other than the increase in price which is bound to happen after introduction of BS6 cars due to the additional hardware required to comply with the emission norms.

Last edited by Thebat : 26th October 2018 at 10:42.
Thebat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2018, 12:26   #123
BHPian

I'm in the market for a new car. My question is if I buy a new car today and want to sell it 5 years later, ie. in 2023, will I be able to sell my BS-IV car then? Or will or cars sold now have to be scrapped eventually?
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 09:08   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I'm in the market for a new car. My question is if I buy a new car today and want to sell it 5 years later, ie. in 2023, will I be able to sell my BS-IV car then? Or will or cars sold now have to be scrapped eventually?
My understanding is that after 1 April 2020, new registrations will be permitted only for vehicles complying with BSVI standards. Change of ownership of vehicles not complying with these norms, but already registered, will be permitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
They were very strict with commercial vehicles & two-wheelers. I have a feeling they mean business.
The car makers have been given ample time to prepare. There is simply no excuse for them missing the deadline.
to cleaner air.
I agree that manufacturers have been given enough notice regarding the implementation of the new standards. Further the technology exists and is not in the process of being developed.

In light of the above, I was rather surprised to note that the GoI supported the automobile manufacturers' plea in the SC for an extension of the date to sell vehicles manufactured prior to 31 March 2020.

Thankfully and rightly, the SC did not accept the arguments of the GoI and the manufacturers and ruled in favor of cleaner air.
Old 27th October 2018, 09:48   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

India Auto Inc urges Centre to ensure BS VI fuel availability well before April 2020.

Quote:
it has become even more critical that the BS VI fuel of the desired specification should be made available freely across the length and breadth of the country well before April 1, 2020 so that the industry could commence sales of the BS VI vehicles that they will start manufacturing well before BS VI is implemented. Any slippage on this front will have serious implications as BS VI vehicles will not be able to operate optimally on lower grade fuels
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th October 2018 at 09:49.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2018, 09:52   #126
Senior - BHPian

Manufacturers do have enough time to change over, but what about fuel refiners.
When last date of registration of BS IV vehicles is 31 Mar 20, the manufacturers should take the initiative to stop manufacture by Dec 19 leaving time for dealers to clear their stock.

Beyond this there was a proposal to stop body on chassis buses, and start selling fully built up buses only. This proposal has been postponed number of times, a firm decision to go ahead with the proposal, or to set minimum standards for body builders should be taken.

Whatever the case refiners and bus chassis have to shift over to BS VI by Sept 19 itself. A Bus chassis is sold with 14 days crtm (certificate of temp registration) before the 14 days are over, a upto 184 days non use declaration has to be given, and after body building a fresh crtm taken and the vehicle taken for inspected and registration.
Refiners shifting over before deadline means manufacturers can start selling vehicles way before deadline without risk of damage to fuel lines pumps exhaust etc.

Sincerely,
Rahul Rao
Old 27th October 2018, 12:57   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda is future ready - Honda Car Will Roll Out BS6 Compliant Car ahead of the April 2020 deadline.

Link
Old 27th October 2018, 19:15   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Honda is future ready - Honda Car Will Roll Out BS6 Compliant Car ahead of the April 2020 deadline.

Link

All well and good but they missed the bus by not making the recent CRV BS6 . Would've been a great selling point and taken some customers away from others for being future ready.
M00M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 06:43   #129
BANNED

Since the change to BS-IV happened in 2010 many of us have forgotten it by now. Sale/purchase is permitted. afaik sale sale of a BS-III to BS-IV areas in not permitted. Also, NCR has a 15 (10 for Diesel) year limit for cars, so anything older is obviously verboten. The issue of interstate sales is not as clear. In fact in my Ulta Pradesh there are problems in even selling / moving cars across Cities.

In a summary there are no issues with selling cars of BS-III or IV today or will not be any different in 2020. If I remember correctly, there used to be a window of (six months?) where older spec new cars could still be registered.

As of now the cars being sold as BS-VI I do not think can be registered as BS-VI. So I am just hanging round for 2020. Both my cars Civic & Brio are approaching 8+ years, so can do with a change, but ....
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 17:10   #130
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki To Roll Out BS6 Vehicles By January 2020 - Maruti is also future ready to meet emission norm and safety norms

Link
blorebuddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 19:31   #131
Senior - BHPian

Guess Renault / Nissan / Fiat will have to stop production of slow moving models in a couple of months if they have to wipe out their existing stock before April 2020.
Old 19th December 2018, 14:00   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki will (almost) end production of BSIV vehicles by end Dec. 2019.

- Start production of BS VI-compliant cars once its plant resumes production after the yearly maintenance closure in the last week of December 2019.

-Will produce BS IV only if there is a strong demand for any particular model, but that number will be very less.”

- ONE model will not be able to be convert to BS VI by December 2019

- There is no problem in a BS VI petrol vehicle running on BS IV fuel, but the same is not possible in case of a diesel

- A BS VI diesel is roughly going to command a premium of Rs 250,000 over its BS VI petrol counterpart

- Will start equipping the BS VI petrol cars with strong-hybrid systems by leveraging our Suzuki-Toyota agreement, to improve the fuel efficiency performance of a vehicle by up to 30 percent.

Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 19th December 2018 at 14:06.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2018, 20:14   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki will (almost) end production of BSIV vehicles by end Dec. 2019.

- A BS VI diesel is roughly going to command a premium of Rs 250,000 over its BS VI petrol counterpart

Source:
Well, this point is really a concerning one. There was a time back in the last decade where consumers preferred petrol cars over diesels for initial investment being the prime factor. But in the last decade, the difference was so marginal, I myself considered buying a diesel over petrol solely for its performance that satisfies me more than a NA petrol car would! But looks like once BS VI comes into effect, diesels will prove to be expensive over its petrol counterparts driving us back to past and we might see an increase in turbo petrol league come into picture from various manufacturers. Maruti has told it pretty evidently. But, if that’s the case, those cars being ready for BS VI will have an advantage now when it’s launched whilst those that will still go under the hammer will have a challenge to face? If I recall it correctly, is XUV300 ready for BS VI? Because if 300 has got its engine readied for BS VI and launches with prevailing price rivaling Brezza, Ecosport & Nexon, then I’m sure by the time Brezza and others cars readies itself, 300 will be racing ahead in terms of price readiness. Because, as per Maruti, if Brezza OTR is 12L onroad bangalore, then it would shoot up 14-14.5L correct? It will have a serious impact for sure. We should see how manufacturers will tackle this challenge. Either by introducing a bigger engine to justify the higher price? Because if they just upgrade the current 1.3L engine for BS VI for a premium amount mentioned, then it doesn’t make any sense.
Old 19th December 2018, 20:24   #134
Senior - BHPian

So it's Good Bye to the 1.3 DDiS in the Maruti Stable and time to welcome the BS VI 1.5 L Diesel, I think Maruti is waiting with that in the wings and will spring a surprise. But even Maruti won't be able to price it competitively given the tech involved. So basically a diesel Ciaz would cost Honda City money and a Honda City would be closer to a Corolla and so on...
Old 19th December 2018, 20:44   #135
BANNED

What exactly does the phrase "BS VI Ready" mean?

Car can use BS6 fuel? Or that it needs an add-on trinket to become BS VI?

Or merely that it will emit Bs VI emissions when it uses BS VI fuel?

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 19th December 2018 at 20:45.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks