Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2019, 10:56   #256
Senior - BHPian

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
If you are looking for a 5-seater diesel which is BS-VI ready, then I think you can consider Jeep Compass and Tata Harrier. Both are BS-VI ready I think.

What would be the advantage in buying a BS6 ready car when compared to a non BS6 ready car ? I thought 'BS6 ready' just means that the manufacturers do not have to do much work to keep selling the vehicle after the norms comes into effect. The design of engine was done considering BS6 and no substantial changes will be required in manufacturing to make it BS6 complaint.

My question is what is in it for the consumers ? Is there a chance that manufactures will come up with kits that can convert our non BS6 cars to BS6 ?
Old 14th May 2019, 12:00   #257
BHPian

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASKD24 View Post
It'd be super interesting to see the entire landscape by then and also we'd have a clear idea on where each make/model stands in terms of offerings in tune with BSVI.
Is there a possibility that some of the cars would be left with petrol only options because diesel may not be cost effective within the segment? In such a scenario I wonder how the CSUV market will react. Will buyers still continue to buy them in petrol versions or they may move away from this section?
After all this is a cost sensitive section and if Diesel cars will end up costing 1 - 2 lacs more than now, it will begin to stretch the budget for the buyers.
Old 14th May 2019, 15:57   #258
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
What would be the advantage in buying a BS6 ready car when compared to a non BS6 ready car ? I thought 'BS6 ready' just means that the manufacturers do not have to do much work to keep selling the vehicle after the norms comes into effect. The design of engine was done considering BS6 and no substantial changes will be required in manufacturing to make it BS6 complaint.
What imho it means that the car is to BS-VI specs. However, it cannot be registered as BS-VI till April next year.BS-VI fuels are being produced (for Delhi/NCR) and also sold.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 16:07   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
What imho it means that the car is to BS-VI specs. However, it cannot be registered as BS-VI till April next year.BS-VI fuels are being produced (for Delhi/NCR) and also sold.

Okay. So the car is actually BS6 complaint. I was a bit confused whether there is a catch to this 'BS6 ready' word.

On another note , is it mandatory for a diesel car to have adblue for it to be BS6 complaint? The only manufacturer who advertised BS6 complaint diesel was Mercedes with their S class. And it has an adblue tank.
Old 14th May 2019, 18:09   #260
BANNED

@aneethstn; You have to do nothing to your existing vehicle. The only point where there were issues was from BS-I to BS-II since Lead was reduced. So the noise of vehicles taking it quietly was wrong.

However, after that you can use a 'higher' fuel in a lower car with no sweat.
Old 19th May 2019, 07:28   #261
BHPian

Quote:

On another note , is it mandatory for a diesel car to have adblue for it to be BS6 complaint? The only manufacturer who advertised BS6 complaint diesel was Mercedes with their S class. And it has an adblue tank.
Hi padmrajravi,
Yes adblue or urea is necessary as a part of SCR. It breaks down NOx to nitrogen and oxygen.
pious_devil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 07:43   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I thought 'BS6 ready' just means that the manufacturers do not have to do much work to keep selling the vehicle after the norms comes into effect. The design of engine was done considering BS6 and no substantial changes will be required in manufacturing to make it BS6 complaint.
Excerpts from the interview of Rajeev Chaba(President of MG Motors) about the engines in Hector, BS6 ready doesn't mean that it already meets the BS6 requirements.

Quote:
These engines are BSVI ready. This means you need to add certain extra equipment and calibration. This is what will be done. When the changes come into force, tweaks will be made according to the BSVI fuel. We are ready and at the right time, we will implement this. We can't sell these BSVI cars after April 2020,

Last edited by arun_josie : 19th May 2019 at 07:44.
arun_josie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 20:42   #263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Excerpts from the interview of Rajeev Chaba(President of MG Motors) about the engines in Hector, BS6 ready doesn't mean that it already meets the BS6 requirements.
Thanks . That clears a lot of confusion. So BS6 status of all the cars like Hector , Harrier , Compass etc are no different from a consumer point of view. None of them are BS6 complaint at the moment and only the hardware launched after April 2020 is BS6 complaint. At moment the S class stays as the lone truly BS6 complaint vehicle in India. For a normal customer it does not make any difference if he buys a BS6 ready vehicle like Harrier or a non BS6 vehicle like XUV500 before April 2020.He just has to choose based on the merits excluding BS6 status.
Old 19th May 2019, 22:03   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks . That clears a lot of confusion. So BS6 status of all the cars like Hector , Harrier , Compass etc are no different from a consumer point of view. None of them are BS6 complaint at the moment and only the hardware launched after April 2020 is BS6 complaint. At moment the S class stays as the lone truly BS6 complaint vehicle in India. For a normal customer it does not make any difference if he buys a BS6 ready vehicle like Harrier or a non BS6 vehicle like XUV500 before April 2020.He just has to choose based on the merits excluding BS6 status.

Yes, Hector , Harrier , Compass etc will require further modification to meet the BS6 requirements, not a major modification though. And nothing wrong in buying a BS4 now.

Baleno Petrol is BS6 Compliant,

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/bs6-compl...8-lakh-2026595
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 23:20   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Baleno Petrol is BS6 Compliant
Alto 800 is BSVI compliant too

Quote:
The new Alto 800 is powered by the same 796cc, three-cylinder engine which is now BS6 compliant. It develops 47 bhp at 6000 rpm and 69 Nm at 3500 rpm.
https://auto.ndtv.com/news/2019-maru...rom%20%251%24s
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 08:29   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My bad. I was thinking only about the diesels. Yes , there are many BS6 complaint petrol cars already.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 16:44   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pious_devil View Post
Hi padmrajravi,
Yes adblue or urea is necessary as a part of SCR. It breaks down NOx to nitrogen and oxygen.
No, Adblue is only for trucks and large diesels . This is the SCR technology route.

There is an alternate called the Lean nox catalyst approach which will be used for almost all pass cars.( <2L)

This paper gives a good deepdive on the different technologies.
sukarsan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 18:13   #268
BANNED

Quote:
Baleno Petrol is BS6 Compliant,
Which of the 2 petrol engines are they talking about?

Baleno has a 1.0 l turbo, which is the one used on RS. And 1.2l engine from K12 series. I'm not sure which engine is used on the hybrid. But that is (1) not an automatic, and (2) sales talk kept drifting back to the Ignis.

I just booked a Jazz, with the Baleno being considered. At the Nexa showroom, they were quite categorical - no BS VI on any version of the Baleno. And this information is anyway absent on Baleno site. If the NDTV report is true, Suzuki lost a sale due to ignorant sales team. I was specific about BS VI.

The logic behind the Jazz CVT was if BS VI is not an option, take the size which the driver is comfortable with. Biwi found the Baleno too wide and low to her comfort and the car would be driven by her.
Old 20th May 2019, 18:26   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Which of the 2 petrol engines are they talking about?

I just booked a Jazz, with the Baleno being considered. At the Nexa showroom, they were quite categorical - no BS VI on any version of the Baleno. And this information is anyway absent on Baleno site. If the NDTV report is true, Suzuki lost a sale due to ignorant sales team. I was specific about BS VI.
I think you missed the discussion here (Maruti Baleno Smart Hybrid caught testing. EDIT: Now launched)

The Automatic (CVT) is not offered in the BS-VI variant. This information is present in the website,

Smart Hybrid = 1.2L Dual Jet, Dual VVT BS-VI
BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023-balenobs6.jpg

Only in MT
BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023-balenobs6_mt.jpg

Congratulations on the Jazz.

--surjaonwheelz
Old 21st May 2019, 21:07   #270
BHPian

I understand that it won't be possible to register or register BS IV vehicle once the ban sets in. But , will it be possible to transfer the ownership of a BS IV car post-ban? In other words , can one buy a pre-owned BS IV legally ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks