Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2019, 15:38   #316
BANNED

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8r View Post
Came across this report which says BS VI version of Fortuner and Innova Diesel could push up the prices by upto 5 lakhs and 3 - 4 Lakhs respectively. My mind = blown ! isn't it too high a cost considering they sell reasonably good volumes of the Innova/ Fortuner ??

Get this, Top of the line Diesel Fortuner will now touch 45 Lakhs and that off Innova would be ~30 Lakhs. IMHO Fleet operators will be running around for an alternate if this is indeed true

Do we have an estimate of the impact on Mahindra's Vehicles ?
Don't know what additional costs go into the conversion of current models from BS IV to BS VI but the markup for this conversion is atrocious.

Especially in this case the already pricier cars are becoming much more pricier. Toyota is already taking full advantage of its USPs like reliability, resale, quality-service etc to charge a premium over the competition, but pushing it further might hamper their operations in India.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 15:49   #317
BANNED

re: BS6 / BSVI emission norms coming in April 2020! EDIT: BS6 Phase II coming in April 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Using a "purer" fuel with added lubricating agents should not cause any problems on a BS4 engine I feel. Anyway, thats explained in a different thread on the forum with technical aspects.

There are countless cars in EU that run on Euro5/6 diesel or petrol. Cars that were made far earlier than these norms kicked in. They are running absolutely fine.
From what I understand, yes and no. Running a BS4 petrol car on BS6 petrol is fine: there is very little difference in the fuel. But BS6 diesel has much lower sulphur content than BS4 diesel. Sulphur has a role in lubricating diesel engine components. I think they are compensating for that with additives, but it is possible that a BS4 diesel engine performance will get degraded over time with BS6 diesel.
Old 17th August 2019, 08:17   #318
Senior - BHPian

BS VI vehicles should be introduced long before April 2020. I think the manufacturers are waiting for the festive season in October to clear the BS IV stocks before launching BS VI vehicles, provided they are comply with pedestrian safety norms scheduled to come into force from October, 2019.

The vehicles which are safety norms compliant can run till January and the BS VI versions can be launched around the Auto Expo.

For those who are looking for good bargains, it's a good time right now to hunt for a bargain. A few thousand more BS IV vehicles do not matter for environment. For that matter, hadn't it for slump, there would have been more than that much of them on the road anyway.

Also, the irresponsible announcement that the sub 150 cc 2 wheelers need to be EVs by 2025 is way outside the ground reality. I don't think those who make such statements do not have any idea how many millions depend on their commuters for their livelihood. Like petty traders, who carry the goods on their bikes, service personnel who depend in their commuters to go from place to place...The list goes on. I know a very large number of people who travel in excess of 100 km per day for their livelihoods. Of these, 95% are commuter bikes which are quite frugal.
Old 26th August 2019, 17:26   #319
BHPian

Maruti looking at CNG to fill space vacated by small diesel engine cars

Quote:
"For Maruti Suzuki in the future, CNG vehicles are likely to make up for the space vacated by small diesel engine cars," MIS Senior Executive Director (Engineering) C V Raman told PTI.

"We believe that for a small car, CNG is a very good option. It is an alternative to oil consumption. We have the widest range of CNG cars for our customers. We are keen to promote green fuels," he further said.
source
Old 26th August 2019, 17:29   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by truezealous View Post
Maruti looking at CNG to fill space vacated by small diesel engine cars
Outside Delhi and Mumbai, CNG Availability is limited. Its nearly non existent in the rural areas. And its in these places where diesel cars used to sell a lot! How do you expect CNG to replace Diesel cars, when there's no CNG available in the pumps?
Old 26th August 2019, 19:02   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyascashyap View Post
Has anyone purchased a BS6 compliant car recently and received the RC book as well?
I'm about to buy a BS6 Dzire for my father and I'm unsure what the RC card will say. The salesman at the showroom said the invoice, sale certificate and fasttag form will mention that the car is BS6 but as far as I know, RC copy is the main document and that will show only BS4 (irrespective of engine in the car) till 2020 at least. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

The salesman is adamant that the RC copy will also say BS6 and he has said he will share proof with me but he needs time. I'm assuming that's just a delay tactic and he can't really get hold of any RC that says BS6?
I purchased a BS4 car, way back in 2012. The RC card i have clearly mentioned BS4.
This is in Karnataka.
Old 26th August 2019, 19:48   #322
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
Outside Delhi and Mumbai, CNG Availability is limited. Its nearly non existent in the rural areas. And its in these places where diesel cars used to sell a lot! How do you expect CNG to replace Diesel cars, when there's no CNG available in the pumps?
Maruti Suzuki's CNG plans are based on this

Rs 1.2 lakh cr investment planned for CNG network expansion: Minister

Quote:
CNG stations retailing the environment-friendly fuel to automobiles has expanded from 938 (five years ago) to 1,769 and will further be expanded to 10,000 by 2030, he said adding that CNG-run vehicles are expected to cross 2 crore, up from about 34 lakhs now.
Link
Old 26th August 2019, 20:37   #323
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki's CNG plans are based on this
Rs 1.2 lakh cr investment planned for CNG network expansion: Minister
Maruti always enjoyed GOI's insider-information more than any other automaker in India, that helps them to plan accordingly in advance. Maruti can even twist to some extent government's(auto-industry related) rules & regulations to its favour.

However Indian auto-market is maturing which will eventually lead to reduction in dominance of Maruti while the market share of other automakers may increase. But Maruti falling from number 1 position isn't that easy.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 17:58   #324
BHPian

Hyundai plans to start rolling out BS6 models early next year

Quote:
"I estimate that by the end of this year or early next year, the introduction of BS6 vehicles will happen," Hyundai Motor India MD and CEO SS Kim told PTI in an interview.
Quote:
When asked if the company's entire current product portfolio would see an upgrade to BS6 levels, Kim said, "As per our plan, all products, including diesel variants, will be upgraded to BS6 level."

He said the company will continue the production and sales of BS4 vehicles until the end of next year.
source
Old 27th August 2019, 19:02   #325
BHPian

Recently Finance Minister has confirmed that "BS4 vehicles purchased up to March 2020 will all remain operational for their entire period of registration". Does this statement means that 'BS4 vehicle's registration will not be renewed after the validity of its first registration, which is 15 years?'

I have this doubt because she has categorically made the statement that 'it will remain operational for their entire period of registration'

https://www.businesstoday.in/current...ry/374826.html
Sreejith V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 20:35   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreejith V View Post
. Does this statement means that 'BS4 vehicle's registration will not be renewed after the validity of its first registration, which is 15 years?'

Yes it means exactly that . So if your car has a 15 year certificate on the expiry of 15 years be ready to go to a scrap yard to drop it off and scrap it as per the prevalent scrappage policy and buy a new car ( guessing electric ).
M00M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 21:05   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreejith V View Post
Recently Finance Minister has confirmed that "BS4 vehicles purchased up to March 2020 will all remain operational for their entire period of registration". Does this statement means that 'BS4 vehicle's registration will not be renewed after the validity of its first registration, which is 15 years?'

As of now you can use a vehicle that is upto 15 yr old, or a older vehicle whose green tax has been paid.

Over the last few years we came up from no emission norms to CMVR to BS1, BS2, BS3, BS4 and now BS6. All older cars whose 5 year green tax has been paid are operational.
These cars make a minuscule number of those on roads. If in 2035 when the last BS4 registered and there are 15 Crore cars on road, and considering today's sale 5 lakh older cars have survived the 15+ years, how much will they pollute. Govt will be happy to collect green tax and allow them on road.
90% of the cars on road get scrapped as people find them difficult to maintain, and scrap yards happily buy them and dismantle them for spares.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2019, 21:49   #328
BHPian

Going by the content in the Finance Minister's statement, it does look like the BS4 cars will be allowed to remain operational only for 15 years i.e. the period of registration and not past it. There was no mention of petrol or diesel vehicles so we can assume even BS4 diesel vehicles can remain operational for 15 years. I would't call this decision too harsh. Those who retain their cars for such a long duration will suffer though but they will constitute only a small chunk of the pie. Going ahead especially a few years post 2020, the resale value of BS4 cars will take a big hit.

I am not in much agreement about the policy lifting the ban on the purchase of new vehicles for government officials. That would inevitably end up depleting the coffers filled with taxpayers' money.
rajvardhanraje is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2019, 06:15   #329
BHPian

Ive been reading a lot about this transition but I've not been able to get the answer to one question though. Will I be able to sell my BS-IV vehicle after April
2020 in the secondary market ? Will the buyer be able to re-register it in his/her name ?
Old 28th August 2019, 08:02   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
Ive been reading a lot about this transition but I've not been able to get the answer to one question though. Will I be able to sell my BS-IV vehicle after April
2020 in the secondary market ? Will the buyer be able to re-register it in his/her name ?
What makes you think you cannot. Unless multiple people in the government lose their collective wisdom on or before 31st March 2020, you can buy or sell any used BS 1/2/3/4 vehicle after April 2020. The 10 year old rule is applicable only in Delhi and is specific to diesel vehicles. And yes, the buyer can register it in his name, again the only exception being the buyer cannot buy it in Delhi if its a more than 10 year old diesel vehicle.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed